Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » To pan or not to pan

Author Topic: To pan or not to pan
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been lucky. The first few stories I offered to read here were pretty good. But I just read a story -- I won't name names -- that struck me as pretty bad. I said so. Now, I wonder what was accomplished by hurting someone's feelings. Maybe I should just have not answered at all, or said something meaningless like, "Not my cup of tea." Any thoughts about what to do when a person asks for a critique and the only honest critique you can give is, "This isn't any good."
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose the easy answer is that you should say something if you can offer constructive solutions to the issues you see. If the writing is terrible but the idea is sound, that's a fair comment. Vice versa, if it's very readable but horridly boring, that's a genuine criticism as well. Making both of those comments to a writer is useless, though, unless you can give them specific, actionable advice. Sometimes the advice itself can be a little blunt, if necessary (I remember once telling someone to start reading YA fiction in order to improve their skills to at least that level, and I believe I once gave you instructions on creating an origami boulder out of a piece you posted) but, as with a lot of criticism, it's not necessarily what you say, but rather how you say it.

I guess the long and the short of it for me is that we should all be equally supportive and critical at the same time. One without the other just plain sucks.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Wolfe Boy. You have to give a writer an explanation of why you thought it wasn't any good.

Personally, whenever I read a really bad story, I do my best to find at least ONE thing the writer does well, and I begin with that. Then I decide on the ONE worst thing about the story, and tell them what I think. That's it. I do my best not to bombard them with details.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna agree with Bath on this one...

Find something redeeming in the story, explain why you liked it and how the entire work could benefit if it fell more in line with that...

If you can't find anything redeeming in the work, your probably best off not commenting. Exceptions to that would be if the individual wants a brutal evaluation.

I know when I have posted in the past it wounded me if my work was not well received, but I recognized that it was constructive and my work benefited from it. As I've matured I find myself far better at accepting matter of fact and blunt critiques.

My rule of thumb is, if I don't feel my negative comments will be beneficial I keep them to myself. That said I've read and posted some real dreck on these boards.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
We're not supposed to be under obligation to read. The offer can be made case-by-case depending on time available, interest from the hook, and how much we think we can help. In any case, the offer to read is a positive action. We can decline to offer by not saying anything, and don't need to say why.

I also think this is independent of the choice to comment on the first 13 lines. Even after making constructive comments, or giving brutal origami instructions, the offer to read the whole story is still the critic's option.

After the offer to read, I think there is an obligation to reply. There's also the obligation to be constructively honest. I've found it difficult, in some instances, to like the whole thing, mostly because of phrase or word choices. One had a good plot that I wanted to see finished. Another had an ironic ending. Those were positive things I could say. Those got a replies that said just what I thought about the good and the bad, with specifics that I hope proved to be constructive. In one instance, the story went over a line where I could not objectively go. I couldn't give an honest critique, so that's what I said in the response.

[This message has been edited by JeffBarton (edited August 09, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by JeffBarton (edited August 09, 2007).]

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
you don't have many replies because we're all checking to see what we've sent you lately.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Deb.

I would say if you read a 13 and offered to read a full based on that, and the full stank to high heavens...well, a somewhat useful constructive thing to say was "this didn't live up to the promise I saw in the first 13."

I have seen people be quite blunt and brutal lately, and I think this is appropriate (brutal in the "brutally honest" sense - not in the "being mean just to be mean/lord it over you how much smarter I am than you are") for Hatrack, where there are writers of all walks/experience levels. I think that one thing that happens here is that people are pushed toward the mean, which (hopefully) is a somewhat high bar. Maybe not quite as high as needed for us all to get published, but close to it, in my opinion, since many here have published some works.

Should you lie? NO! Should you say nothing? well, I have skipped first 13s that I just couldn't even come up with a place to START w/my critique...I didn't have time to help that writer. I'm generally relieved to see that others DO have the time, and I'm glad for that. This site is only as good as the participants in it, and if we dis some writers but support others, well, shame on us! Everyone deserves the feedback, even if the feedback is sometimes hard to hear. I'm sure it was here or one of the other writers forums I participate in where the strong suggestion to read Strunk & White was presented more than once. Sometimes people need to hear that, and they need to hear it more than once for it to sink in sometimes. <shrug>

Anyway - Back to the "should you say nothing" question - skip a 13 if it isn't your cup of tea or you don't have time to spend on the details that the writer needs someone to point out to them or what have you. But if you've volunteer to read a longer piece and honestly can't get through it because it's lacking in the basics, I think saying you were not able to finish because the glaring issues with X, Y, and Z were too great is perfectly appropriate. If you're feeling particularly big-hearted, you could offer to re-read when they've worked on those issues. But even that is not necessary, just a nice thing to do if you think they CAN correct the issues.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
In classic tradition of being short on time I am answering this without reading any of the above replies...

I would say, in brief, that it depends on what you thought was bad. If it was strictly a matter of taste, for example the setting or the genre, then you say "not my cup a' tea." but if there are actual places where you stumble as a reader, or things you find implausible, or basically anything in the work itself that gives you, as the reader, the gag-reflex, then yes you are doing a disservice if you don't say it. And if people can't handle that, they ought not to loan out their stories.

And, of course, be tactful.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like an honest answer, myself. But if you want to be a decent critique, you should probably focus on one or two aspects of a work to recommend improvement. It doesn't even need to be specific.

For example, if someone's biggest problem was that it had a plot that floundered, I would point that out and recommend the book Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell. If there problems were mostly about style and grammar, I'd recommend some improvement and practice in that area. Even if they were completely awful, I'd try to find something that they did well.

(Can you tell I'm an ex-teacher?)

Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the objective of critiqueing is to help someone improve, and I don't think that's achieved by being solely negative. I believe that while a writer needs to hear what's wrong with a story, we also need encouragement. A purely negative critique can leave one with a discouraging feeling of, "What, I can do nothing right at all?"

I also think it's a good for developing writing discipline to learn to write crits that encourage improvement and don't cause the writer to give up. After all, we write to have an effect on our readers, so it helps to learn how to write in order to provoke the desired effect -- in readers of a story, shock, awe or wonder; in the reader of a crit, understanding and the energy to improve the story.

I'm trying to discipline myself to write critiques that always include something positive as well as the dark stuff of what did not work for me. If I can think of nothing good to say, I try to steer clear of that thread. If it's empty or full of negative stuff, I try to find something encouraging to say. And no, I don't always succeed.

If a story I've offered to read fails to live up to the first 13, then at least I can say something positive about the first 13 (because I won't offer to read if the first 13 do not attract me) and then I can discuss how the story subsequently went wrong.

Of course, one can say, 'Just by spending the effort critiqueing your story, I show that it has something positive.' But I think it helps to say so too, because we forget.

Just a thought,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
"This isn't any good." Doesn't really help the author, so why even bother with that much? If you're not trying to help them, at least refrain from tearing them down.

If you can offer specific advice about why it's not any good, then it will help the author--even if it might take some time swallowing tears to reach that point.

Personally, I don't look too hard for the one good thing. Sometimes, it's just not there. I don't want to feel like I'm padding the critique. However, deliver is key. We're writers, we should be able to phrase our feedback any number of different ways--good or bad. There is a difference between being honest and being brutally honest.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I do what Balthasar does when I come across something that is so full of problems that it's just painful to read. And I haven't been lucky -- I've read quite a few of those by now. Not recently...I have to be picker about my critiquing time since I became a mom...

Anyway, NEVER LIE. That doesn't mean you have to tell the whole truth, but don't pander. If a story sucks, don't say it's all right or that maybe it's just not your type of story. Whatever else is true, this writer put their work out there on the line and they did it because on some level they know they need feedback to improve. There's probably a level that hopes for praise as well, but trust me....praise feels much better when earned.

The trick here is going to be in how your word the feedback. Obviously, "You suck, don't quit your day job." is right out. But even something that uses all the right I-statements but says this: "I felt that this was a bad story with innumerable problems." might not be a good idea.

The point of the crit is to help the writer improve and if that means you have to lie by commission, then so be it. Start with something -- the biggest thing (in you opinion). For example, I once read a story with such atrocious grammar and punctuation that I simply couldn't get through it to the rest of the story. So I told the author, nicely I hope, that I thought that was an area they might want to concentrate on for a while.

On the plus side, I've done literally hundreds of critiques at this point and I can count on one hand the number that were so bad that I couldn't think of anything legitimately nice to say. Even the most problem-rich stories usually have a bright spot. If you can find it in this story, that would be great. If not, well, like I said, it doesn't come up often.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited August 10, 2007).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, some people only post stories for critiques because they want you to shout their praises. If that's the case, that's their problem. If you post your story, you should be aware that people are looking for the errors and shortcomings. If you can't handle honest criticism, you should get out of the business.

It's like people that go on American Idol. Their mom and dad and all their friends have convinced them that they are great. Then they go on the show and get a rude awakening. A lot of people criticize Simon Cowell for the way he talks to people, but have you ever read a negative review about a singer or about a movie? They can be pretty harsh. Some people crumble under criticism. Those people don't have a place in the business. Others learn to take the criticism and apply it to their work so they can do better. Those are the ones that make it.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post 
Another thought. When I have a story that I think is unique or experimental, I am curious if it will appeal at all. About one of my recent stories I keep asking myself if the critters really like it, or are they just being nice? Should I pursue that approach again? I need some good honest input to help decide if its worth it.
Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my general philosophy: I am not a developmental editor.

If you ever want the cold hard truth, I'll take a look at something but if I don't respond at all it means I had a hard time with it and find it hard to even know where to begin.

If I respond with little direct criticism it means it was more or less serviceable and I could find little to change plus/minus any general criticism I might have provided.

If I respond in detail I either a)liked the story but found some glaring mistakes or b)disliked the story because of the glaring mistakes. You won't have to guess about this because I'll tell you.

When I actually critique a story it is rarely a judgment on style or the author's talents but rather on the way that an author presented certain information to the reader.

In my opinion, writers write for readers just like singers sing for an audience (as RMatthewWare mentioned American Idol provides many wannabes with a much needed dose of cold water). If you don't like that cold truth then find a warmer person than I to get a critique from.

[This message has been edited by Matt Lust (edited August 10, 2007).]

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
mfreivald,
You may put it back into the F&F and tell them that you genuinely want to know if it's interesting, or if they're just being nice. Or you could take it to other forums like Critters or Liberty Hall. If it doesn't appeal, I'm sure SOMEONE will be bold enough to say something.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose as a collary to this whole thread, we should also examine the role of the writer in this whole process.

Clearly, we can and likely have submit things that truly truly suck, and weren't aware of it, and it hurts to have your baby poked in the eye over and over again by hordes of people who mean no good whatsoever. I believe it is our responsability as writers submitting our work to not only respond to all forms of criticism the same way (Thank you) but to be aware of who is submitting and what we can expect from them.

By reading the rest of the posts here, we can see some people who are naturally more murturing (debhoag), and some who are naturally more harsh {Inarticulatebabbler, who by the way hasn't chimed in yet). Knowing that IB, and Matt Lust, and others, are more blunt with their critiques, we can take what they say with a grain of salt - tone wise. Similarly, when Deb tells me something about a piece I've written, I view her criticism through my past experiences with her on these boards. I think it is encumbent on us to learn and recognize these differences.

Personally, I also have a bias to pay more attention to the critiques from people I know to be better writers than others. If you give me a scathing critique and, when I look into who you are a little more I see that your writing is still at a fourth grade level, I have a tendency to dismiss your comments out of hand, particularly comments that tend to diverge from what everyone else is saying. Conversly, if someone I know to be an excellent writer points out something no one else has, that comments immediatly carries more weight. Then again... that's just me.

I think the moral of the story here is that you should read as many critiques from others as you can, if only to get to know your peers a little better.

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited August 10, 2007).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's easy to forget, whether as critiquer or critiquee, that ultimately, everything you say or hear is a matter of opinion. I'm sure we've all seen books and stories published that we thought just sucked. So as a critiquer, if I read a story that's just terrible, I try to remind myself this is just my opinion. It makes it easier for me, then, to look at the critiquing as an exercise in figuring out why or what I thought it was terrible. This is where I learn, and where I find (I hope) helpful comments for the author.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this problem of seeing something of interest in practically everything I read---usually I lead with that and then rip the story to shreds. Sometimes the shredding is the only merciful thing you can do...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

quote:
If you give me a scathing critique and, when I look into who you are a little more I see that your writing is still at a fourth grade level, I have a tendency to dismiss your comments out of hand, particularly comments that tend to diverge from what everyone else is saying.

Ouch, man. Just, ouch.

But I agree with that, too.

On a side note, I did critique one story a while ago (I can't remember who wrote it) that was so bad I couldn't offer ANY criticism. It was just bad. You mentioned a fourth grade level, this was more like a 'I just learned my letters' level. Okay, maybe not that bad, but there was no structure, I think everything was in caps, there was no flow. It was like they typed it on their cell phone and sent it as a text message. But other than that, most of the stories I see here aren't terrible, they just need work. And that's why we're here.

SilverFirexz
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for SilverFirexz   Email SilverFirexz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty new here, but I think it's safe to say that as a critiquer, your job is to help the writer, not tear them down. As others in this thread have pointed out, you can critique a horrible story without making the writer feel horrible about it.

I often do in-depth analyses of other people's work, and I try quite hard to balance what I say with how I say it. And I always, always, always find at least one thing that I can congratulate them on--even if it isn't the best characterization in the world, I can tell them that I liked what direction they're taking the character in.

I believe that I'm doing a writer a disservice if I don't mention what can be worked on--because I would feel that a disservice was being done to me if everyone ignored how crap I was.

I've had experiences before where a writer did not like my critiques. The problem was that she walked into the critique thinking that her writing was incredible, and was fully expecting me to say, "Wow, that was amazing!" As a general rule, I don't ever say that. Even if the writing blows my mind, I try to find where it can be improved. So, when I told her in no uncertain terms that there were several problems with the flow and structuring of the piece, she flipped out on me.

This is what separates the writers from hobbyists. If you're going to make it in the business, you need to also know how to make it in the world of critiques, and it's best to get used to it in a controlled environment first. Which is why writing communities exist.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the ideas. The one I like best is -- find one thing good to say and one suggestion for improvement. On the other hand, this is a fiercely competitive business. Something like 99 out of 100 would-be writers never publish, 99 out of 100 published writers can't make a living at it, and 99 out of 100 best-selling writers are forgotten a generation after they're dead. So maybe the most important thing to tell the writer who asks for a critique of something hopeless is: writing is very hard work!
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm checking to see what I've sent to Matt Lust recently!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the whole so I apologize if this is a little redundant.

I never give judgemental critiques. I simply state what worked or didn't work for me, and I offer suggestions for what I think might help. There are only about six elements that make up a story that is at least solid, so at worst I offer suggestions in six areas. I try to always offer to answer follow up questions.

I participate on another site where there is a subset of members who who are, well, snotty when they critique. I don't even bother to read there critiques anymore. I expect to have my work's flaws pointed out, but there's no reason to be too blunt, especially with someone that's obviously a beginner.

But to each his own.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
I will add my two cents worth.

One of the skills that I have to teach in Performing Arts and Drama is evaluation (the government actually recently decided it should be an equal part of 7 - 10 marking with actually creating something.) In teaching year 7s how to give good feedback I follow a simple structure:

3 things they liked
3 things they would suggest if they were the groups director (in our case, if you were the person's editor I guess.)

All my students know that we won't move on to constructive criticism until they can give me 3 things they liked. Try to give 3 postivie comments before you move onto constructive criticism and it might help.

Grant

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Along those lines, Grant John, in the business world some espouse an idea known by the acronym LCS. Stands for "likes, concerns, and suggestions." It's a way to keep feedback from turning into pointless sniping, and to keep the person receiving the criticism from getting defensive. When folks are in a setting to try and improve something, everyone has to acknowledge what is good about the subject and give suggestions for improvement along with their gripes.

I think it could be applied to writers critiquing each other with minimal difficulty.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

...and some who are naturally more harsh {Inarticulatebabbler, who by the way hasn't chimed in yet). Knowing that IB, and Matt Lust, and others, are more blunt with their critiques, we can take what they say with a grain of salt - tone wise.

Wolfe_boy, I'm sorry that I have been remiss. About two weeks ago, my mother passed away, and I haven't had my head straight since.

However, I will chime in now.

I'm not going to coat the pill with sugar because too much sugar entirely masks the problem. I try to be HONEST not MEAN. However, I can see how the lack of sugar-coating makes the comments feel derisive.

I have tried to -- especially with my recent critiques -- point out something that I liked in the prose. I can usually find Something. I have critiqued two stories, since joining this community, that have been absolutely atrocious (and I don't use that word lightly). I won't mention any names.

One had worked a thirteen lines to the point that it interested me, so I offered a full read. (Incidentally, I made comments on that thirteen before it sold me -- so I should have had a clue what I was in for.) The story read like a summary, and it wildly switched from a space-opera story, to a sci-fi type story, to a political rant. I didn't slather on the insults. I took the time to explain what it read like, and why. I didn't tell him/her how to write the story; I told them what I liked about the first thirteen, what it led me to expect, and how the rest was "unfinished". I made suggestions on how to use what had been written as an outline. Now, I don't know how that story is faring today, but, I do know that some other hatrackers read it afterward.

The other, had an interesting thirteen that promised a tasty mix of genres. It took a little work, but the author made that thirteen sell me. I found that the biggest problem was with writing in PoV. The author didn't understand the concept of writing immersed in character, and that greatly helped them.

I'm a little bit Old School, in that I believe in looking for the simple solutions before the violent overhaul. I think it's amazing how many people offer reading advice instead of a true critique. Just because somebody reads something, doesn't mean that they will understand it, or put it into practice. I'm willing to bet that a percentage of the new writers don't have the patience or interest needed to peruse some of the suggested reading. They are looking for advice in short snipets from a live person (who can answer a direct question that a book doesn't).

And that's My take.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited August 11, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I do worry that my critiques have become more harsh over time. Lately, time is short. I still come here to participate, to find help and (I hope) offer some meager help to others. With time short, I often find myself looking for the shortest way to say what I want to say about a critique--and I worry that some might come across overly harsh.

If I feel that way, I do try to stop and look for something good to say as well.

The more time I spend here, the less time I'm writing.

Personally, I don't find InarticulateBabbler to be harsh. I value his opinion. The same with many others here. Maybe I've become more jaded than I thought?

And InarticulateBabbler, my sincere condolences for your loss.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope IAB that you'll accept my own well wishes. As a sick twisted freak, I've always pondered how I'd deal with the loss of a parent and I'm at a loss as to how I'd deal with such a deep loss. Mothers are bonuses we all get for being born.

I send all blessings, positive waves and happy thoughts your way that my tiny brain can mention.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
One comment: I have never seen anyone say "I'm going to be brutally honest" when what they didn't mean was I'm going to get my jollies by being mean and trying to show how superior I am.

I dispise "brutal" crits and don't have a high opinion of people who do them. I am personally convinced they do not have a good motivation. Being honest does not equate to being mean.

I refuse to do a crit unless I can say something that at least I think will help the author improve the piece. If the best I can say is I don't like it, what does that do for the author? Absolutely nothing. It may make me feel superior, but I haven't helped the person who has asked me for help in their writing.

This doesn't mean the author is always happy to hear my opinion, but I have at least tried to help and not just tear down.

I do a lot (A LOT) of critting over at Critter's Workshop where the rule is that you tell people both what they have done right and what they have done wrong. And I have torn some stories to pieces over there, but always ones that I thought if work was done on them that they would be worth reading.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited August 13, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.