Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Fantasy without magic? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fantasy without magic?
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
If you were a snobby graphic designer, everything about Comic Sans MS would be evil. Comic Sans MS is typographical evil incarnate. If there were reality TV shows about using software like there are for buying clothes, there would be a part where the hapless makeover victim opens the font drop-down list and chooses Comic Sans MS, saying something like, "Ooooh! I like THIS one!" And then the long-suffering, oh-so-fashionable, soul-patched, latte-sipping designer dives for the mouse in slow motion, screaming, "Nooooo..."

Yet another small business brochure would be saved from the evils of pedestrian design aesthetics (which to designers is an oxymoron), and the world would be a better place. It's simple, really. Hope this clears everything up.

[This message has been edited by Magic Beans (edited November 13, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Comic Sans Serif is evil, and I'm not a snobby graphic designer.

Actually I don't think it's evil, I think it's lame. To me what it says is, "I am so DARING for using this clever font! To further make my creativity clear, I will also pick fuchsia for the font color and teal for the background color, and liberally distribute apostrophe's throughout the message I am sending you, which is invariably nothing more important than a chain letter."

but oh some of you probably love it and now you hate me. sorry.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
actually, my opinion is that every font has it's time and place for use, that includes Comic Sans...

now, when it comes to the written book, the best font to use is a serif font, bookman old, courier new, times roman, etc are all great fonts for books imo...

however, when talking about on a computer screen it all depends on the images surrounding the text, or for subtitles the same, i find Comic Sans to be particularly useful as a font for OSDs (on-screen displays, as in the volume control on your tv)

it has great contrast to the other elements on the screen typically, make it green, and give it a black border, and you have imo, the best OSD possible

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
From the POV of a mom trying to teach her five-year-old how to form the letters of the alphabet in the standard way, Comic Sans is one of the FEW fonts that makes the typical handwriting 'a', instead of the loopy one that NO ONE writes out and that you see on this page. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, before MB mentioned it I had never heard of this font. I'm sure that I've seen it as I scrolled though my font lists, but it never caught my attention at all.

So this entire debate is somewhat over my head. As my previous usage of the word indicates, I still tend to think of a "font" as something with water in it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
also, wasn't the original purpose behind this thread was kinda "fantasy without magic, is it possible?"

how on earth did we manage to get this far afield?

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Magic. *smirk*

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Triarius
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Triarius   Email Triarius         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting back on topic!

Most people who write fantasy don't know what magic is, or where it comes from. (Card is an exception. He knows, very well, what real magic is and where it comes from.) Real magic comes from people, it is a way to interact with the universe about us on a very personal level. Real magic is subtle, not overt. Authors who understand this will write works that are as close to immortal as it is possible to be.

I recently posted the first thirteen lines of a story that has no overt fantasy beyond the fact that it occurs both in the present day and approximately seventy five years ago. That makes it a fantasy. Everything else in the story is very much "real world."

If you have a dream, and the insights from that dream change you and your life, that is magic. If you have a traumatic experience, and it changes you forever, that is magic. If you meet someone and fall in love, and they eventually fall in love with you, that is magic. In the first two instances, you worked the magic upon yourself. In the third, you had a partner, and together wove the spell that entrapped you both, forever.

I assume you've read Tolkien. There is very little overt magic in the story, and what there is sounds like a highly advanced technology. Is there anyone who would not classify LOTR as fantasy?

Alternative history is sometimes classified as science fiction, sometimes as fantasy. What you want to write is simply a story set in an alternate universe very much like ours. What do you care how it is classified?

Good stories are about people, and people are definitely fantastic, by one definition or another. If you write a good story, the marketing types, the pigeon-holers, the type-casters, button sorters, accountants, and lawyers will force it into a classification. That doesn't matter. What matters is that you do the magic of writing a story that people will read, enjoy, and perhaps learn from. Go thou and commit magic. ;oD

And if you haven't already, read Joseph Campbell, especially *The Hero with a Thousand Faces*. I think it will set your mind at ease about what you want to do.

[This message has been edited by Triarius (edited November 14, 2004).]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Nov 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting tidbit. I was once talking to somebody who liked to be particularly cryptic about everything he said (I think it was a way of trying to prove he was smarter than everyone else) and he said something very interesting about writing.

He said that books are in themselves spells. They're magic really, you can take down this scroll off the wall, open it and understand the thoughts of a man who has been dead for two thousand years.

He went on to elaborate and say a bunch of other crap but that was the interesting part.

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister introduced the catchphrase "we/I must be magic!" as an exclamation of comic remorse over having done anything inexplicably silly.

Apparently one time when she was teaching Spanish, she spent almost the entire class time on non-Spanish related subjects, then looked at her watch and asked how they'd managed to waste so much time, and that was the reply.

Seriously though, those are some good insights into writing.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.