Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Diversity at Hatrack (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Diversity at Hatrack
kmckendry
Member # 4936

- posted      Profile for kmckendry   Email kmckendry         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I both grew up in Cudahy (Milwaukee County). I went to Carroll College (by you).
Posts: 28 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
electricgrandmother
Member # 2713

- posted      Profile for electricgrandmother   Email electricgrandmother         Edit/Delete Post 
I just turned 31, and live in SE Idaho.

We have one local fiction publication, associated with the university. They veer towards literary work, and I, um, don't, so I don't go knocking there a lot.

And Dakota is right, as usual -- Utah has a wide variety of publication options. BYU publishes The Leading Edge, a great little spec-fic 'zine. (The name of the 'zine she couldn't remember off the top of her head.) Also, CONduit, the con held in SLC over Memorial Day weekend, has a spec-fic writing contest. Life, the Universe, and Everything (at BYU) may, as well.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Life, The Universe, and Everything (the BYU SF Symposium), it's this week, 15-17 February.

I'll be going. Will I see any of the rest of you there?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I might be there. I have some job interviews but otherwise it's a distinct possibility.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, please introduce yourself, okay?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zoot
Member # 3176

- posted      Profile for Zoot   Email Zoot         Edit/Delete Post 

I've just turned 30. I was born in Sussex U.K, though I've worked in London as an I.T consultant for the last ten years.

There are tons of local writing markets, though I've not reached the level of expertise to submit to any of them yet.

One day I'll be pubished in Interzone...

[This message has been edited by Zoot (edited February 13, 2007).]

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I am presently in Ft Riley Ks going to the sand box in a few months.
I have 20 years and I have the best job for some one like me, 21B Combat Engineer.
There are people who read in my unit especially who read: Sci-Fi, fantasy, etc.
As for writing no, they just don’t care.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Still the only Canadian?

I feel so lucky.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I get it now HAHA, Zoot was the name of the keeper of Castle Anthrax in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Good one.
I had to much to drink last night and watched the movie it just now hit me.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I am 52 and I am here to add to the diversity.

I was born in Chuquicamata, Chile and still retain my Chilean citizenship, as well as my US. I was raised in Panama and graduated from high school there. I acquired various science degrees from Arkansas, Florida and Oklahoma. I've lived in 3 countries, worked in 15 and have lived in 10 or 12 states of this country.

I currently live just north of Houston, Texas. There is no local market here; Texans don't read. Well, kinda.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a tweenager from Madrid, Spain.
I've lived in France and Spain, and I've worked in the US.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma_Jan
Member # 4788

- posted      Profile for Grandma_Jan           Edit/Delete Post 
"There is no local market here; Texans don't read."

But Mike, surely you knew that Texas schools gave up books for high school football! I'm not sure what year it was, but by 1976, when I moved there, books were already only a distant memory.

Oh, yes - the main question . . .

I'm 50. Currently stationed in South Florida. Born in Western New York, lived in Mississippi, Texas, Wisconsin, Germany . . .

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets see. Born in Mildenhall Sussex in 61 to a british mother and a USAF Yank father. Lived in Grand Forks ND for a few of my baby years but then back to UK in 67 where I was brunged up in Cochester Essex. Worked as a keeper at Colchester Zoo after I graduated. Moved to California by myself in 82 to work at Lion Country Safari in Irvine. Now live in Murrieta in socal with wife and 2 kids 18 & 19. Been interested writing for last decade but was opposed to being too influenced by convention. Not so much now though, learning from the experiance of others gives you a massive head start and really does not prevent you from being original.

Think I'm starting the mid-life, why the hell am I so emotional about everything, stage of life. (no corvette yet)

Oh and my name is Tracy so you can tell right there that my father was American. Growing up and going to school in England with a girls name is not a fate I would wish on anyone.

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

A man named Tracy even here in America would strike me as strange.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

I try not to strike people, especially if thet're bigger en me. But strange... yeah I hear that one a lot, from the polite ones.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Tracy Hickman
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Tracy Morgan, Tracy Lawrence, Tracy McGrady, Tracy Byrd, Tracy Silverman... yeah, good point Kathleen, I actually feel more secure in my masculinity now. Thank you.
Zero
Member # 3619

well... I'm from Utah, and the west side, and in my bubble of an existance it is weird. Not that you should dislike it for any reason, just strikes me as odd. And notice I am the one being struck.
OMAGAOFTHEALPHA
Member # 5163

- posted      Profile for OMAGAOFTHEALPHA   Email OMAGAOFTHEALPHA         Edit/Delete Post 
Lived my whole life in FLA. I do a lot of traveling been to almost every country in Europe, some in Asia, and South America .
There is a large writers market here mostly high school students and grads.
OMAGAOFTHEALPHA

Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just outside of Chicago, IL - I'm sure there's a great local market. I am new at this and haven't gotten that far yet.

I'm celebrating one of the anniversaries of my 29th birthday tomorrow. It's a single-digit anniversary, and that's enough about that.

I have two kids, two cats, a husband, and a mini-van. In a way, it's rather like one of the circles of Dante's Inferno, but then again, it's the greatest gig on earth. Depends when you ask me.

Karen

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zotius
Member # 6457

- posted      Profile for zotius   Email zotius         Edit/Delete Post 
Near Cardiff, S. Wales.

Managed to see quite a few scenes of Dr Who shooting this year. So many takes. Fascinating. Rumbling bellies at home were not amused though.

[This message has been edited by zotius (edited October 08, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by zotius (edited October 08, 2007).]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 21. I live in Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK.

There have been a number of zines circulating throughout the city, for which I've written, and a number of newspapers and magazines, for which I've done the same. I started a column at the Leeds Guide when I was 19, due to an invitation from the Deputy Editor via a referral from a local author named James Nash (who helped me an awful lot with my first novel-length ms). Then, aged 20, I was headhunted, of a kind, by Bent magazine, and left for pastures new.

I'm doing my MA in Writing for Performance and Publication, starting up a new alternative arts journal and taking a senior position at a local publishing company run by local cult author R. L. Royle.

I do far too much, go out clubbing 2-4 times a week, and exploit all the free holiday opportunities I can get through my job (which has been 3 so far this year, with another holiday to Key West coming up in 12 days).

When I write on here, it's usually 4am (as it is now) and I really should be getting on with something else ;-)

Regards

Adam

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
Cincinnati, Ohio -- chili capital of the world.

I stopped counting years when my birthday cake set off the fire sprinklers.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I am destiny
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I have lived in Utah all of my life. I am currently living in Tooele with a rather large writing community. There are three writers groups that I know of and am a member of one. I was exited to get more invoilved and even start to go to a reading group with a friend. But my DH pulled a fast one on me and we are moving to Orangeville in less than a month. I hear there is a writers group at CEU I hope the rumors are true.

I am 38 and the SAHmom of 6; 1,4,6,10,13,15 I write when I get the time.

BTW, KDW I am going to LTUE SO I'll introduce myself... I cant wait!

Spaceman.... my best friend just moved to AZ (Bullhead City) can you give me any info on AZ groups? you mentioned AZ authors...

~Destiny

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I've met a few other SF/F people in the Tooele area, and I look forward to your introducing yourself, I am destiny. See you next year, then.
tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. . .I don't think I saw this the first time around. . .I am a native Floridian who now hails from BYU Provo as I scramble to get a degree before my mission.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

A degree before you mission? That's awfully ambitious. Whether you're 19 or 21, that's impressive. Since, I believe BYu doesn't offer degrees shorter than bachelors.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Hay another Floridian.. witch part of FL. Me I am in JAX now.. not the airport but the city.

Too bad omega is not down here. He is in Americas Hat.. Northwest territories some where now..

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Antinomy, I'm from Columbus, Ohio. Home of the Buckeyes. Though, I have to admit, I'm not into football (I know, I know, that's heresy in these parts)

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
Small world, I'm from St. Augustine.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lorina Stephens
Member # 6196

- posted      Profile for Lorina Stephens   Email Lorina Stephens         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like two Canadians now. :-)
I'm 52, living in mid-Western Ontario where we get monumental lake-effect snow, although we're now in a glorious autumn, warmer than usual.
We live in a 130 year old stone house which we're slowly restoring. I'm the writer. My husband is a glazier by day, an historical cooper when the house doesn't demand his time.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeIsDeads
Member # 6330

- posted      Profile for HeIsDeads   Email HeIsDeads         Edit/Delete Post 
25, Orlando FL, but soon relocating to Washington D.C. for school. (Hopefully GWU) English major, and writer hopeful.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
41, Chesapeake VA, happily married with 3.5 year old son. Don't care about markets; I have a long way to go writing my WIP. In fact I've been taking an unplanned break to gobble vast quantities of fiction.

Survivor, your post sounds liek a story!

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited October 10, 2007).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

i lived in Fairafax for 16 misibral years.

i love FLA. not too many hippies like DC.

i was just in st augisten. i was at the fort and then went down the shopping street thing. king gorge st if i reamber right..

I'm not drunk egnough

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

quidscribis
Member # 2240

- posted      Profile for quidscribis           Edit/Delete Post 
Three Canadians. I'm from everywhere western Canada. But I now live in Sri Lanka. I blame my husband for that.

The non-fiction market locally is small, and yet I've managed to be published in three local mags with regular columns and am the assistant editor of one of them (the geek one). Fiction markets locally are completely available, although very small, as long as you're willing to pay. There is zero question of local publishers publishing anything without payment up front first. I don't consider the local fiction market my primary target.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

i love FLA. not too many hippies like DC.

What? Are we talking about the same Florida? In the Southeastern USA, right?

Maybe I'm missing your definition of hippie.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
I current live inside the beltway in Northern Virginia.

As for ethnic (which this thread doesn't actually ask for) I was born in a state where inter-racial marriage was still considered "void and prohibited," although my parents' marriage (Chinese-White) was legal since they got married in a state that viewed inter-racial marriage as legitimate. The state of my birth legalized inter-racial marriage when I was two months old. I was four before the U.S. Supreme Court made inter-racial marriage legal country-wide by their ruling in LOVING v. VIRGINIA (1967).

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

but of corse we are speeking of fl in america. there are few hippies in JACKSONVILLE that i have seen or ran into.

now in south Fl there are many hippies expicily the Keys...

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

PS: if you Canadians are speeking of Omeaga he is there doing work for my Empire. he dose not conder himself Canadian, he dosent even consider himself human.

i shall drop him a line and ask of him to post here. if you wish

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I live in Independence, MO, right outside of Kansas City. I've been here for most of my life. I'm 25 now and I've written a fantasy novel (hopefully will finish it soon and start shopping for a publisher). I've also written a few short stories. Nothing published yet, I've been married for a year and a half, and I have a new baby. So, very busy, but I try to keep my writing going.

That was in January. I'm 26 now. My 2-year anniversary is this month and my baby boy turns 1 as well.

I've finished my novel, given up on short stories, and still haven't published anything. But I'm still trying. I've also finished a first draft on a new novel.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparrol
Member # 5734

- posted      Profile for Sparrol   Email Sparrol         Edit/Delete Post 
Fourth Canadian, teenager. Lived pretty much all over the country, from the plains to BC to Quebec and back again. Just haven't been to the territories.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Do it, Rommel.Omega sounds like an interesting person!

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
(( As for ethnic (which this thread doesn't actually ask for) I was born in a state where inter-racial marriage was still considered "void and prohibited," although my parents' marriage (Chinese-White) was legal since they got married in a state that viewed inter-racial marriage as legitimate. The state of my birth legalized inter-racial marriage when I was two months old. I was four before the U.S. Supreme Court made inter-racial marriage legal country-wide by their ruling in LOVING v. VIRGINIA (1967). ))

Wow. Cool info. Especially since I'm the same, 1/2 Chinese, from my dad's side. My mom was from Arkansas, another state that probably had some funky laws back in the day.

On the diversity thing, I'm 39, living in Montana.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jamie, we're twins. You can google "Loving Supreme Court" I think and find a list by state of when which laws were changed. If you're 39 now, then you were probably conceived after the whole thing was legalized.
Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

if you insist. he was banned from here a few mounths ago. i shall drop him a line. he is much like me we are werewolves

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

well it seems that KDW has denied omega to post.

he just tryed to and was denied. that should teach him.

i just called him and he just left Ellesmire 2 days or so ago.

i will keep in contact.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Zero
Member # 3619

I never really could tell the exact difference between you and Omega. Making the banning tendencies on this forum seem a little... inconsistent.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

the difference between Omega and i is i am the last Christain Werewolf. he is a Peagan (i think that is how it is spelled)
2 he is not as vilont in action as i when it comes to winning.he also is slow at politics.
other than that there is not much different personality wise.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Zero
Member # 3619

When it comes to entertaining yourself(s), remind me, which of your personalities is it that likes to watch tv, and which is the one that likes to watch movies?

Because I know both of your personalities like to troll our forum.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited October 15, 2007).]

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

LISTEN HUMAN... ARE YOU CALLING ME A SCITISOFRINIC?

I AM NOT A MULTIED PERSONILITIED FOOL WHO DOSE SUCH A THING...

I HAVE IN ALL MY YEARS ON THIS PLANET NEVER ONCE THOUGHT OF SUCH A THING AS FUNNIE OR WOULD I EVER.
IF I WAS NOT A CIVILISED WEREWOLF I WOULD HUNT YOU DOWN AND END THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL

REGARDS

TZAR ROMMEL FENRIR WOLF II

OF THE IMPERIAL HEGEMONIC EMPIRE.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.