Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WARNING: old topic revived: POD: The future? Or just another fad? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: WARNING: old topic revived: POD: The future? Or just another fad?
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Textbooks also require an incredible amount of research and expertise (I'm thinking of college level textbooks here). Most are contracted out chapter by chapter. In addition, all the photos and illustrations are usually contracted out. All of this contributes to the exorbitant price.

As for screen vs. paper. I agree, I hate reading things on screen, and do so only to try to save paper (and because there are a great number of things you can only read on a computer screen.). But I think this is changing. A generation of people who grow up reading things more and more on screen, vs. on paper, don't mind it as much. In fact, I've known some people to say they prefer reading things on screens because they don't have to deal with flipping pages. Furthermore, as screen technology gets better, reading on screen will become a more pleasant experience.

However, this is a tangent topic. Sorry.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
You can only buy a used book if the course will still be using that edition, and if you can find a student to buy it from.

All too often, there is a new edition required by the professor.

The college bookstores sometimes buy back books (for which they pay the students a pittance) and then turn around and charge much more than that as the used price which is still somewhat less than the cost of a new book.

The thing is, the college bookstores usually don't buy very many books from the students, and so there aren't very many available at the "used" price for the students who will need it next.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say the text book market is anti-capitalist, not capitalist---after all, the "facts" of history can't vary, so what does it matter which textbook the student gets them out of? No, the decision is made to buy one and only one textbook, and in bulk at that, and everybody learns from that.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert I think you meant to put a "should be" instead of an is.

The text book companies cry about all these reasons why their books cost more, (which are decisions they made in the first place, why do I need full color glossies in a piece of junk I'm only gonna look at for four months of my life?) but look at the numbers they make a ton of profit, which isn't much of a deal, every company has a right to make tons of money. But when I'm looking at my shrinking bank account, I just don't have any pity for them.
(one thing that has saved me $300 and counting is to wait for the first day to get my books. Most of the time teachers will say, "We won't be using that book so don't buy it," followed by twenty groans. These days it is computers telling you what books to buy.)

And on another rant, they don't even have the decency to proofread the things. There should not be 100s of typos in a book about grammar!

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll stick with is here. I've seen this practice in other areas with the same effect. Single supplier...high price...any number of middlemen who get a cut...high pressure tactics to encourage purchase...

Textbooking is kind of a racket---a good deal on one could bring the publishers millions.

Books, textbooks or others, cost a fraction of their set prices to produce as artifacts. Everything else is overhead.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to post a link to this blog which compares CreateSpace (Amazon's publishing venture) to LuLu (both of which, I believe, do print on demand publishing.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I changed the title to include a warning that this is an old topic.

I'm curious. Did anyone notice the warning?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed. I also followed the link. Some of the information presented by the blogger doesn't exactly comport with what Lulu and CreateSpace represent on their Web sites.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I noticed the old topic warning right away. I stand by most of what I originally said...I've recently become acquainted with a certain manipulation of "facts" in textbook publishing, but everything else is still the opinion I hold.
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
How old of a topic is it? POD may be new, but Here's a story from 1893 that satirizes self-publishing. That's not a typo: 1893.

I don't think that the frustrations have changed substantially.

We just published it as a "Classic Flash", but it's originally from Punch, a British humor magazine.

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.