Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Where do you live? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Where do you live?
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
skadder, you were off.

machpane, you got it. I live in Slovenia.

And don't you just love it when there's Slovakia right next to it. Nothing bothers me more than mistaking Slovenia with Slovakia.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo1day
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for Jo1day   Email Jo1day         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in South-East Idaho, now. There are some towns that are pretty, because they've planted lots of trees . But there's some fascinating landscape--open lava fields, of the seeping sort, not the explosive volcanic sort. More like what you'd get in Hawaii. But if you go up into the mountains to look at the scenery, you're likely to find that it's federal range land being grazed by cattle. Watch your step! .

Until recently I lived in Moscow, Idaho, which is up north but milder climate and more wet. Beautiful country, plus Moscow has a lot of organic farmers and recyclers (including a guy who made journals with recycled large floppies for covers).

I've also lived in Utah, Argentina, Miami FL, and Minneapolis MN

Posts: 80 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The only other place I've lived was Poughkeepsie, NY---from birth to being dragged down here. If I'd'a had my druthers, I'd'a stayed.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Jo'l day, you're right in the heart of Appaloosa country. The birthplace of the breed is the Wallowa Valley... home of the Nez Perce. Moscow, ID is the home of the Appaloosa Horse Club. I'd love to visit that whole area just once. My Foundation Appaloosa mare traces back to that area over 20 times in her extended pedigree.
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SchamMan89
Member # 5562

- posted      Profile for SchamMan89   Email SchamMan89         Edit/Delete Post 
Santa Clarita, California. I'm five minutes away from Six Flags Magic Mountain (if anybody knows where that is). I'm also like 30 minutes from Los Angeles.
Posts: 105 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Cedar Park (think, Austin suburb), Texas

Have lived in the past in Bryan, Texas (Go! Texas A&M Univ!)
Baghdad, Iraq
Houston, Texas
Provo, Utah
Taipei, Republic of China
and now in Cedar Park, Texas

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sitting for the weekend. Who said they lived near Phoenix?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I come from the land down under... will refrain from singing. Melbourne, Victoria to be precise, though have been wandering Victoria for the last few years.

Anyone ever end up in Melbourne send me an e-mail.

Grant John

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mom in me wants to say to those of you who are underage, You should check with your parents before posting your locations.
Okay, so now that I got that out of my system...
I live in Ogden, Utah. Ogden is a weird town. Within ten miles you can find a jail,a homeless shelter, hiking trails, million dollar houses, One hundred year old houses,and the most beautiful mountains in America.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane
Member # 8035

- posted      Profile for Shane           Edit/Delete Post 
Currently I'm "between homes" but that should change Tuesday. Location wise I'm in Wisconsin, US but I only just moved here a few months ago from Illinois.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Grant John,
I've never been there, but my kids all sing Waltzin' Matilda like natives. It's one of our favorites.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm of age. Enough for two people.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I just did the math and technically--so am I. Ouch!
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
The sun is shining. That means I have been mysteriously teleported from Oregon. Still looks like Oregon but that ball of fire up in the sky and the lack of clouds means it can't be. The temperature is even in the high 70s!
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Northwest Georgia, US. Originally from Florida, which I hate. Lived in Indiana and Kentucky for a while. Wishing with all my being I lived somewhere cold and caked in snow.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
snapper,

Sorry I missed you! I live near Phoenix, doing my best to endure 112 degrees. Ah, summer!

bleh...

Hoping you're heading to cooler temps,
~LL

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stammsp
Member # 8000

- posted      Profile for stammsp   Email stammsp         Edit/Delete Post 
Shimiqua,
Lived in Sunset most of my life. We moved from Roy about 5 years ago. Both hubby and I went to Clearfield High. Nice to 'see' someone from the old stomping grounds.

I really miss the mountains. I can see Mt. Adams and Rainier from my windows, but it's just not the same.

Gina

Posts: 74 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey LL,

I am still here but headed to Vegas in the morning. My job gets me over here quite a bit. I would be happy to meet you.

The same goes for all you wonderful writers. It is my goal to meet all that I can. If I keep playing the odss, I can say that I personally know the next J K Rowling one day.
I really am a nice guy, I rarely bite, and I have the antidote for Merlions potioned pastries.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
snapper,

I'm guessing I missed you this time. Have a safe trip to Vegas, and maybe we can catch each other another day.

I have to say, however, that we plump housewives who dream of being writers aren't that exciting to meet! (Ooo! I'd love to be the next Rowling!)

Happy trails,
~LL

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redstar
Member # 8038

- posted      Profile for redstar   Email redstar         Edit/Delete Post 
I just moved to Martinez California but before that I lived in

Boulder Colorado
Brampton Ontario
Kingston Arizona
Las Vegas Nevada
Provo Utah
Lethbridge Alberta

That's all in the last 10 years, so I figured it could all count. I move around a lot. Somehow I think I might be missing one. Hmm. . .

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey redstar! now your getting close to my neck of the woods (berkeley).
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Shimiqua!!

I'm in Ogden, too!!

Drop me a line offsite.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper don't make me summon the rust zombies.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redstar
Member # 8038

- posted      Profile for redstar   Email redstar         Edit/Delete Post 
hey annepin!

I've heard that Berkeley is even weirder than Boulder.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stagecoach
Member # 7875

- posted      Profile for Stagecoach   Email Stagecoach         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Arizona desert. It will be 114 degrees here today---in the shade (and there's very little shade).
Posts: 22 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Stagecoach! where in AZ? I'm up in Show Low.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Central/Western Massachusetts, though I'm constantly moving around from Malden to Littleton to Amherst. Depends on the time of year, mostly whether or not I'm away for a semester at uni.

I did live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, for three glorious years, though I'm told that when I lived there (1999-2002) was one big drought. It was still amazing, though. I have every intention to go back once I have the means.

Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

Stagecoach--

I'm in Gilbert. Maybe we should go visit Deb up in the cooler temps, huh?

~LL

debhoag
Member # 5493

You should! Or we could meet for tacos in Globe or something.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stagecoach
Member # 7875

- posted      Profile for Stagecoach   Email Stagecoach         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Deb and Lullaby Lady. I'm in Mesa. Getting to the cooler climate sounds nice. For travel these days, all I need is some free time and medication to get over the shock at the gas pump.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I think Spaceman is in the valley, too.
CABaize
Member # 8032

- posted      Profile for CABaize   Email CABaize         Edit/Delete Post 
Louisville, Kentucky. We were just voted the most livable city in the US! Not sure exactly what that means, but it sounds cool...
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I've got relatives in Louiseville. The Buchanans? I've got about a million cousins.
CABaize
Member # 8032

Actually, I was just playing poker last night with a Tom Buchanan. He went to high school with one of my uncles. Any relation?
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I bet. Is his dad named Louis, by any chance? Or possibly granddad?
CABaize
Member # 8032

Not sure, I know his wife's name is Julia, but it's been ages since I met the rest of his family. I'll have to check with him.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
i am curently in Orman Beach FL. a nice place but streets are quite confusing.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaldea
Member # 4707

- posted      Profile for Chaldea   Email Chaldea         Edit/Delete Post 
Newport Beach, CA
Yucca Valley, CA (high desert)
Makaha and Honolulu, HI
Seattle, Tacoma & Puyallup, WA
Albuquerque, NM
Eastern Australia and South Australia
Hmm seems like I forgot one too. Oh yes, how could I forget? I was raised in Grosse Ile, MI (an island at the head of Lake Erie)
What a wealth of information we have for each other! This was a great idea!

Posts: 75 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
We ought to make a tally at the top, listing each country (or state) just to get an overview of what our real demographic is.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
Cincinnati, Ohio... often cold and caked in snow. Willing to consider even trade with Merlion-Emrys.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We ought to make a tally at the top, listing each country (or state) just to get an overview of what our real demographic is.

You volunteering, Zero?

Of course, since this is what statisticians call a "self-selected sample," it won't exactly be an overview of our real demographic at all, but it might be interesting even so.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right KDW.

If I knew how I would volunteer.

I am now in Jacksonville Fl, anyone here, or neer?

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Another Louisvillian here. Not the most exciting place in the world but has suited me fine for all of my thirty years.

That's Louisville, KY not Louisville, AU.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

if you started a post open to edits by everyone, we could alphabetize - that would make it easier to locate people nearby.
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
"if you started a post open to edits by everyone"

It's a good idea but nothing comes at zero price.

One thing that often happens with shared files is someone accidentally messes up or deletes the whole thing. Unless someone offers to save a copy off-line periodically, there's a risk of corrupting or destroying it by accident and being unable to revert to the last good version.

Been there, done that,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
didee
Member # 8055

- posted      Profile for didee   Email didee         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Queensland, Australia, where at the moment it's cold of a morning and night but the days are lovely. The coldest day so far has been 17 degrees down to -2 overnight. Not to sure how that converts for some of you. But it it early days of winter yet, but even so the coldest we are likely to get is around the -6 mark.

It is a great place to be.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badger
Member # 3490

- posted      Profile for Badger   Email Badger         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in London, England. It seems that I'm alone in this forum, which I find hard to believe. Come on folks, move. Ignore the fact that it's ten times the annual average salary for a flat the size of a shoebox. You can fit a notebook and pen in a shoebox, right?
Posts: 64 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends what you mean by "alone".

Alone in London? Possibly. I don't recall other Hatrackers from England's greatest city though I could be wrong of course. I lived in Earls Court for a short while on my return from the US of A and decided that living in a shoebox wasn't for me, so now I'm in a king-size shoebox in Derby.

Alone in England? There are a few English contributors to Hatrack but I'm not going to embarrass myself by trying to enumerate them and omitting someone.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badger
Member # 3490

- posted      Profile for Badger   Email Badger         Edit/Delete Post 
Only England's greatest city?

I did mean London. I know you're in England, and Skadder and Darklight (I think!) and a few others.

No need to brag about the man-sized shoebox..

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
We have had other threads on this topic before, but I'll post again where I live... in Oregon, in the Columbia River Gorge, specifically in The Dalles which is the end of the overland Oregon Trail.

I'm sure Utah has nice mountains, but I'd hesitate to call them the most beautiful mountains in America, shimiqua, until you've seen the Cascades. After all, we did have one blow up on us about twenty-eight years ago. THAT was exciting.

And MartinV, if it's any consolation, I hosted a foreign exchange student from Slovakia one year. She was duly insulted when I bought her a little flag to remind her of home... and the flag was from Slovenia.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.