Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Google + and Writing (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Google + and Writing
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a write-in even though not everyone has to participate it sounds like.

If I remember I will be there for part of that time. With my swiss cheese memory I'm not always sure when I will recall something like that.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm going to try hosting a Writing Hangout this Wednesday, July 27th at 9:00 AM - Pacific Standard Time. PST is currently UTC/GMT -7 hours.

That's 4 pm for me and therefore doable.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Martin V. what's your name on Google+? I'm not sure we have you in our circles and I don't want you left out. Actually, I'm really happy that time works for you. I was worried it would be tough to get you in. I'm going to do another roll call later today to see if we have everyone. If you're not sure if you're in, add me to one of your circles and I'll get word out.

And yes, it's like a write in. The idea is that everyone is working on some creative project. I just wanted to leave it open in case someone wanted to draw or paint or sculpt instead of write. If you want to do interpretive dance, just mute your mic so the music doesn't disturb other participants. Same goes for power tools.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Trina, do you have any plans to do this occasionally on weekends? I think more folks might be able to do it then?
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I work Saturdays, and as with my other work days, I wouldn't be able to start one until about 8pm PST. That's pretty late for a lot of people.

Sunday though, is my other day off. I usually spend the morning writing, so I'll probably do it then too.

And if there's a time that works better for you, go for it. Anyone can host one and it doesn't have to be announced ahead.

So you know, I'll be inviting people from another writing forum to join too, so it won't just be Hatrackers.

Note: So I'm prepared for Wed., I might try starting a spontaneous one tonight after work. It could be anywhere from 8-11pm PST. My webcam is new and I've not done anything like this before so I'll try to work out any technical difficulties. I'm sure it's easier than I think.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, genevieve42, didn't see your invite on my email, like MattLeo's. Could it be somewhere else?

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
I've registered genevieve. Name's Stefan Milicevic.

EDITED TO ADD:

Martin, are you sure it's not 5PM for you and me? We're in the GMT +1 zone.

[This message has been edited by Foste (edited July 26, 2011).]

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Interestingly, there are two Stefan Milicevics on Google +. Are you the one with the big smile or the one without a picture?
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Dr. Bob I've re-sent the invite. Check your spam filter. I've had one communique from G+ end up there.

Remember to add me to one of your circles so I can find you.

Roll call later today.

Foste
Member # 8892

The nerd with the glasses.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

I'm not seeing any nerds with glasses (except myself in the mirror), so I'll just wait till you add me. A.A. Leil.
Foste
Member # 8892

Added.
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Genevieve. Found you.

I'm on vacation and have limited internet access, but I'll check in now and again.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

quote:
Martin, are you sure it's not 5PM for you and me? We're in the GMT +1 zone.

You're right, my mistake.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Google+ as Ken Cassell. Feel free to send me an invite. I can't figure out how to invite anyone else. It's a miracle I'm in there at all!

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Owasm, I sent you an invite, but that's to join Google+. If you're already in, it doesn't apply. But when I put your name in, you didn't show up. If you want, add me to one of your circles and I'll get you started in our Hatrack group. I'm in as Trina Phillips, no photo yet.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Got you Ken!

EmilyS
Member # 9447

- posted      Profile for EmilyS   Email EmilyS         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't used Google+ much, but this sounds like it could be interesting. I'm in there as Emily Sandoval (so you know who I am when I start adding you all to my Hatrack circle )
Posts: 125 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
This looks great, but is anyone else having trouble keeping track of names? I'm so used to your handles here, it feels like reality just took a little spin when I look at everyone on Trina/genevieve's page.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Welcome Emily!

In a few hours I'll do a big roll call and ask everyone to do a small introduction. I currently have 17 people in my Hatrack circle.

I'll also post here when I do the roll call so if anyone thinks they're in and they don't see the post on G+ they can let us know.

My plan (if it doesn't get too busy here at work), is to do it between 5-6 pm PST. Maybe a few more people will join us. And this isn't a finite list. People are welcome to join any time. I'm just trying to keep us all together in this newness.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, this is sounding more and more like a "Hatrack Group" than a discussion about writing.

Okay if I move it to the Hatrack Groups part of the forum?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Kathleen, you may be right, but I'm afraid in Hatrack Groups we won't cast as large of a net and with G+ being so new I think it's a good thing to introduce to a larger audience. Once we all get going, we'll be chatting over on G+ and taking up less attention over here I suspect.

So if we could leave it here a little longer I'd appreciate it. Another week maybe?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I would like there to be a bit more discussion about the original topic, however.

Could you tell us more about the privacy protections for a "circle" and for a "hangout"? How do you make sure everyone knows whom they're "hanging out" with?

I get the idea that you've talked about two kinds of invitations here: one is to Google+ and the other is to the Hatrack "circle" correct?

Which kind are you issuing, genevive42, or are you issuing both kinds?

If you're not issuing Google+ invitations, how does someone get on Google+?

I suspect that it would be good to post more step-by-step information (Mary Robinette Kowal's article needs more of that as well) for people who want to participate.

Since this is more like an "in-person" group, you may want to start thinking about some of the rules and problems that go with those, besides.

Just some thoughts, anyway.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Got it Kathleen. I will say that this blossomed a little more than I expected, but I'm thrilled to have everyone join.

First, when I say I'm inviting someone, it's to join Google+. I'm happy to send out invites to anyone who asks. And everyone who's in can do the same. (There's an invite link on the lower right side of the screen.)

Since the idea here is to have hangout groups where we get together and commit to both some writing and social time, the other side is trying to keep everyone together. When someone joins, they need to find other Hatrackers to put in their circles. What I'm trying to do is create a master list so everyone can 'see' each other. Once we all find each other we can hang or chat, whatever.

I'll admit, I hadn't considered 'rules' for the hangouts other than common decency. I'm going to start with the 15 minute talk/45 minute work model, but that may change. And anyone else can set up the rules for their hangouts any way they want. I know KayTi is interested in shorter ones. I think she already ran one. Unfortunately, Mary Robinette Kowal hasn't run a hangout at a time I've been able to join so I don't have a point of reference for exactly how they work.

In many ways, I'm figuring this out as I go along.

Kathleen, I've sent you an invite if you want to check it out. And if you want to be included in our group feel free to put me in a circle and I'll add you to the roll call I'm doing later.

I think this will be a good way to exchange ideas and offer support. It's a good reminder that as we sit at our computer terminals pounding our heads against the keyboards that we're not alone. That's the theory anyway.

EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This looks great, but is anyone else having trouble keeping track of names? I'm so used to your handles here, it feels like reality just took a little spin when I look at everyone on Trina/genevieve's page.

Yes... I am still trying to figure out Hatrack handles with real names.

It took me a moment to understand the concept of circles on Google+. Basically it allows me to choose which circles I share what status with. So I have my family in one, my friends in another, and then Hatrackers (which are about 98% of the people I have on there).

This way, if I want to announce a family gathering I can post my status update just to those in the Family circle. If I want to share something with the Hatracker folks, I can just select there circle. Or if I want to share one of my precious gems of knowledge with the world, I can share it will all the people I have on Google+.

I like this concept, because there are often things on Facebook that I want to share, but perhaps I would not care to share with all 148 people I know on there.

As far as the Hangout feature. I am eager to try it. It may have to be something we think about regulating once we know more about how it works and what Google is already regulating.

So far it has its plus and minus. I do like the fact that there is not Farmville or other such games on Google+. Hope it stays that way.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

quote:

This is one of the things I hope to cure with tonight's roll call. I'll post details later.

Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to add that the name "circles" is a bit misleading. It is not a subgroup that you join within G+, but rather a personal filter you set up when determining who you want to share things with. There's no Hatrack circle to join, but I have a circle/filter called "Hatrackers," where I am collecting everyone from here that joins. No one can see my circle but me (and vice versa). All someone else can see is who makes up the cumulative whole of my circles.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Hi Everyone!

I've got 17 people in my Hatrackers circle. I hope this is everyone.

I'd like to do a roll call. If everyone posts a comment to this post (on G+) then all the other Hatrackers will be able to see you and add you to their circles. Also, there's the issue of who everyone is in relation to their Hatrack names. I actually have a person or two that I'm still not sure who they are on Hatrack, so hopefully this will straighten it out. If you're seeing this and you're not a Hatracker then I'm sorry you've gotten on this list erroneously. Please let me know.

So everyone, please comment. Tell us your Hatrack Handle, the city/country you're living in (maybe include the time zone), and what your current writing project is. This way we can all get reacquainted here on G+. I'll post the first comment to get things started.

If you are not seeing this same announcement on G+ then I do not have you in my Hatrackers circle. If you want to join us, add me to one of your circles and I'll get you included.

Foste
Member # 8892

Gack. I am the only one who did a lengthy introduction. Oh boy...
genevive42
Member # 8714

Foste, do you have trouble keeping your word count down?
Foste
Member # 8892

All the time
sjeanne
Member # 9534

- posted      Profile for sjeanne   Email sjeanne         Edit/Delete Post 
Could I get an invite? I'd like to see if I can get it together... maybe even for tomorrow morning, lol.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I intend to use G+ for a more writing/networking purpose. I don't usually talk about my writing triumphs and tragedies on Facebook. I think they intend it to be a more professional program. I hope they don't add games, but I think they will. It's an undeniable revenue source.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

sjeanne, invite sent. Remember to add me, or someone, so we can get you introduced.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Oh, and as we're creating the master roll call, don't forget to go down and add everyone you don't have to one of your circles. That's sort of the point of the roll call, so we can all have the same list.
genevive42
Member # 8714

I'm trying to start an impromptu hangout right now, but I no more than got started and my computer crashed. So I'm going to say now that if I'm not on G+ tomorrow at the designated time, please, someone else start the hangout. It's really simple. I thought I had fixed this computer problem and I'll run some deep virus scans tonight, but go ahead with the hangout even if I'm not there.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Okay, so the test hangout was successful. EVOC, Roxy L. and I chatted for quite awhile. We didn't actually do any writing but it was more of a 'get to know you'.

It is incredibly easy. To start a hangout, just click the button on the right side of the screen. Your webcam will start up and it'll take you to the appropriate hangout screen. It then puts a little 'LIVE' note under your pic in the comments stream and whatever group you designated will see it. I had a problem where it wouldn't let me comment on my own hangout post. I think it was a glitch because I've seen other people do it. G+ is still a beta version.

EVOC said it was really easy to join too. Just click where it says you want to join. The comtrols to mute audio and video are big and obvious on the bottom of the screen, as is exit.

So anyone who was concerned about the tech side shouldn't be too worried. I know LDWriter2 had to add a plug in or something so didn't join us tonight. I don't know enough about webcams to say who might need to do the same. Or if it related to the webcam at all. Hopefully it will go smoothly for everyone tomorrow morning.

So remember: Wednesday, July 27th, 9:00 AM Pacific Standard Time (UTC/GMT -7 hours) - We'll chat for the first quarter of an hour and write until the top of the next hour, then take a break and chat for another fifteen minutes, then work for forty-five, etc. I'm committing to two hours but if you can only stop in for a little bit, still do.

Hope to see you there.

MartinV
Member # 5512

Um... It's time and I don't see anyone logged on. Am I missing something?
genevive42
Member # 8714

Martin, I see you've started things. It's still not 9am here so it must be a time translation thing. I looked up out time zone and thought I translated right, but I don't know. We're on Daylight Saving Time. MAybe I interpreted it wrong.

I'm going to jump over and join your hangout. I think everyone should just pile in there.

Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it wants me to install a plug-in, too. So, I'm going to hold off until I get my new (cheap) webcam installed. No point in making things harder than they have to be.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

Although I had to go prematurely I got to say the hangout was awesome! I'll be sure to get a webcam. I really enjoyed getting to know you guys better. Some echo-techy stuff needs to be smoothened out but the overall concept is quite good.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Thanks for everyone who showed up at the hangout. It was very cool meeting everyone.

There were a few technical issues, both individual and from their server, but we managed. I had to turn off my video accelerator and things got jerkier after that, but at least I didn't crash again. I'll try edging the settings up slowly.

So, to relate this to writing, I did learn a few things. I learned that even with the hangout screen minimized, hearing the tap-tap of other people working is a great motivator. It made me want to be tapping too.

A couple people figured out how to share their work with just the hangout group. I still need to finish reading it. It's nice to see both the great talent we're hanging out with and, conversely, that everyone's first drafts are rough. It's a good reminder that it's often better to just get the words down rather than worry whether they're the perfect words. It's all been good to read.

It was also interesting to discuss how everyone approaches writing differently. We also talked about self-pubbing strategies and a myriad of other writerly things. There was definitely something encouraging about hanging out with other people doing the same thing, going through the same trials.

Technical note, there was a fair amount of feedback. It's been suggested that if more of us can get headphones this could be reduced or eliminated. Something to think about.

Thanks again everyone!

If you couldn't make this one, it's easy to start your own. Oh, and if the originator leaves, the hangout keeps going, so you're not committed forever. Have fun!

sjeanne
Member # 9534

- posted      Profile for sjeanne   Email sjeanne         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the invite! I'll have to hit the next one... I was still asleep them (after staying up till 4 reading, oops... anyone ever seen this? http://pinterest.com/pin/64142907/ )

My name on Google+ is S. Jeanne Montgomery.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I recently received a Google + invite from a friend. I've only just joined and have no idea what it's all about. I only have access from a poor internet connection though, so I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of it. At some stage, I'll actually read through this thread and figure it all out.

Nick Tchan

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeetahWest
Member # 9402

- posted      Profile for LeetahWest   Email LeetahWest         Edit/Delete Post 
You all still doing this? If so I am interested. Candiss West on google+. I have a few other local friends who might be interested as well.
Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I have a request for those of you here on the Hatrack workshop: If you are going to add me on Google+, please tell me who you are here on Hatrack.

Or else tell me here who you are on Google+ as LeetahWest has just done.

I don't want to ignore you if you are someone I know here, but I don't want to just add people because they've added me, when I have no idea who they are.

Thanks. I would really appreciate your help with that.

Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've already added you on Google+. I'm not too hard to figure out--Meredith Mansfield.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Thanks, Meredith. I think I've already added you (if I haven't, my apologies).

My request was intended for those whom I haven't added. I didn't want them to think they were being ignored out of snobbiness or somesuch. I just don't know who they are.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Maybe it would help if I were to list those whose names I don't recognize, and if they're here on Hatrack, they can identify themselves?
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Sheesh! I know that Richard Flores (EVOC) had a list of some of the "who's whos" from here, but I can't find it on his page.

And I can't seem to find any place for me to post a question about where it is. (There's no "status box" on my profile.)

I hate learning curves, especially when you have to figure things out by yourself.

Help?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.