Hatrack River Writers Workshop
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Profanity in Writing (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Profanity in Writing
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the motion to lock this thread.

Would you please lock this thread, Kathleen?

<Hands Kathleen a lock>

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Hands Kathleen a beer. Please?
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I found my hippo Crissy hiding under the couch, so I'm fine with locking the door.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Spaceman, I'm glad you found your hippo. I was beginning to get worried.
Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nimnix
Member # 2937

- posted      Profile for nimnix           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe she secretly wants us to bump it so new visitors can see the light.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
You all realize that if we stop continually posting "lock the thread," the thread will gradually go away all by itself? We're the ones keeping it active. Talk about your irony lol
Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not claiming that I didn't understand the rules. I'm just saying I don't agree with them. And it's perfectly reasonable for someone to object the rules anywhere, as long as they're keeping it A. Civil, and B. within the context of, "I think this rule is wrong. I would like to express that it is my opinion that this rule should be changed."

Yes, I agreed to abide by the rules. And I did. In fact, the only "profane" word I posted in this workshop was in my 1st 13 for Remnants when my character says "F*** off." But I put a warning at the top, and asterixes in the middle.

My point is, I shouldn't have the right to intentionally offend someone, but I sure as hell want the right to offend someone without meaning to. Do you want me to point out one of the hundreds of examples of offensive material in these forums that weren't even noticed by the powers that be?

OSC criticises Calvanist thought in (I believe) the Speaker for the Dead. So why does he make it a rule in his forums to punish actions instead of intent in something so unregulatable as offensive material?

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, I agreed to abide by the rules. And I did. In fact, the only "profane" word I posted in this workshop was in my 1st 13 for Remnants when my character says "F*** off." But I put a warning at the top, and asterixes in the middle.

I take that as permission to delete the post that the workshop software censored then.

Thank you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.