Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Will Forester tales (i.e. untitled scribbles)

Author Topic: Will Forester tales (i.e. untitled scribbles)
Ash
Member # 4615

- posted      Profile for Ash   Email Ash         Edit/Delete Post 
William Forster was tied to a tree. He had been in this situation a number of times, and by now was accustomed to it. He was not, however accustomed to having several men armed with crossbows preparing to kill him as he was tied to the tree. Honestly, he thought, I kill one palace guard and they think it is the end of the bloody world.One of the guards, a blacksmith in the nearby town, put a hood on and began reading the charges from a piece of parchment. He had an immensely boring voice, and was none too good at reading, so it would take some time, time William fully intended to use. Yes, yes, murder, rebellion, thievery, breaches of honor (those had been with the youngest daughter of the king, to be precise, and had been most enjoyable) blasphemy, heresy, right, yes, I admit to all of the above. This man could make even the
Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ash
Member # 4615

I forgot to explain myself and this story. The entire story is three fourths of a page long, just Forester's escape, and nothing more. I don't have any plans for it, just thought I could start getting critiqued so I would have time to swallow my pride before unveiling my babies to the harsh wind of criticism.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
being 'used to being tied to a tree' at first made me laugh, I wanted to get to know this guy he sounds interesting just by that one fact alone but then I thought 'used to being tied to a tree?" sounds odd. maybe used to being in these types of situations. He obviously has no fear of actually being killed. is that intended? makes it sound like Bugs Bunny, he knows from the start Elmer will shoot the duck not him.

I would read to see what happens.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds a lot like a Terry Brooks story I started. I'm not a fan of this sort of thing, but lots of people are. If you can keep this up, you should do well.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ash
Member # 4615

My intent was that this character be a sort of Robin Hood with a dash of Jack Sparrow, and a hint of Han Solo; I think it worked maybe a little too well. Anyhow, I did not directly intend him to have no fear of death, it just sort of came out in his character, but I don't mind it one bit.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
More to the point, he's got better things to do with his time than agonize over his impending death, particularly as he fully intends to avert it. I thought it was odd that you mention that one of the guards was a blacksmith in another town, because both are full time jobs (and commuting wasn't the big thing back in ye olde feudal times) and it wouldn't seem likely that William would happen to know this about the guard in question anyway.

Maybe you mean that he looked like a blacksmith. Or perhaps you mean that he's been caught by a posse. But if they're a posse, then they should have a sherrif or deputized official leading them. If the blacksmith is said deputy, then it would be good to clarify that.

Anyway, I rather like the light tone. I could read more.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.