Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Mathemagician's Daughter

Author Topic: The Mathemagician's Daughter
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, this is the first 13 of a ~7K fantasy short story. This is my first attempt to post something, so thanks to everyone in advance for your patience with my newbee-ness :-) Does the space between paragraphs count as one of my 13 lines?

Everyone knows how the story goes. Intrepid bachelor/bachelorette with no real family or friends gets drafted on a quest to save some land from certain doom and along the way discovers his/her true worth before living more or less happily ever after. The best ones usually add journeys to a strange new land, romance, discovering the use of a hitherto neglected talent, or all three. Toss in a bit of royalty in disguise and you're all set. That was how my mother's story went.

Of course, my mother's been dead for six years now. My three brothers and I are fairly close, and we all four of us keep in contact with our father. I'm happily married with the most adorable one-year-old twins who are just now learning to walk and... and you don't really want to hear all the details of

P.S. - I'm putting edits of this in the reply instead of trying to change the original. In case I get too carried away and someone wants to send me backwards a revision :-)

[This message has been edited by Kitti (edited February 14, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited February 14, 2009).]

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Here Kitti, Kitti, Kitti,

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Okay then newbee. Ready for this?

My opinion is probably more of personal taste but I have two huge problems with your first 13.

Problem one: First paragraph is a synopsis, and to tell you the truth it wasn't a very gripping one. I assume you are attempting a down to Earth voice that's telling a story as if the reader is having tea with her. Very risky attempt. I suggest you toss it out.

Problem two: Second paragraph is a brief bio of your MC's life. You presented as a hum-drum life and that is how it came across. Not hooky at all. The only part that peaked my interest is when the mathemagician came through the door, and I can just about guarantee you that She Who Must Be Obeyed will slice that off because of the length before most of the hatrackers will have a chance to view it.

This is what I suggest. Start at the point when the Mathemagician enters the scene. Any info before that, that you find necessary to the story, work in later as dialog, if possible. As it is now, I find your hook dull and the bait missing. Judging by the title, I suspect that you have an interesting idea. You'll need to slide things around so we can see that idea earlier.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited February 14, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Mreow! No worries. I once left a slumber party early and my friends spent the whole next day singing "The Cat Came Back" at me :-)

Thanks for the critique. I've always been a bit ambivalent about this intro. I find I have a tendency to throw in my hooks around lines 15-20. Something I'm working on! So I will try again.

And for anyone who's worried about language, it just so happens that my one curse-word now falls into the beginning of the story (and any opinions on substitutes/whether it's really necessary would be appreciated).

----------------

Some people spend their whole lives wishing for adventure. Not me. If there's one thing I learned from my mother, it's that adventures have all sorts of costs. Costs I'm not willing to pay. So when the Mathemagician showed up at my door and greeted me with, "These are troubled times-" my first response was brief and to the point.

"No f***ing way."

Of course, after I had slammed the door in his face, my good manners overcame my common sense. I opened the door again and asked, "Was there anything else you wanted, Dad?"

"Civility," he answered, clearly taken aback by my behavior. I rolled my eyes as I sighed. Sometimes, my father simply couldn't take a hint even when it was thrown in his face. Repeatedly.

[This message has been edited by Kitti (edited February 14, 2009).]

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the above a rewrite of your first 13 lines, or is it more of the story?

If it's more of the story, I'll need to delete it, because only 13 lines are supposed to be posted.

Sorry.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

It's supposed to be the re-write. Sorry for any confusion!
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kitti, Kitti, and welcome to Hatrack -- a fellow Brit, methinks.

I like the "mathemagician" wordplay. It reminds me of a BBC children's TV character, Worzel Gummidge I think, who used to talk of "electrickery".

The second version is a heck of a lot better than the first. The voice and the premise of a "mathemagician" are for me hook enough; I'd read on. A couple of small points, though ...

I'm not a prude and don't mind her swearing, but I thought her reaction to "These are troubled times" rather over the top. The comment didn't seem to warrant swearing, and if it did, I think some hint of why would be in order. This kinda links to my second point ...

She introduces him as "the mathemagician" yet knows he's her Dad, and this gives a mild feeling of the narrator holding back. Coupling this feeling with her over-reaction to his initial comment, one wonders whether she's swearing because he's an unwelcome visitor, nothing to do with the troubled times.

So I'd read on, but with caution, because I'd like a POV firmly in the narrator's head, and not withholding.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christian
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Kitti. Welcome to Hatrack.

Ok, I may be in the minority here (only time will tell), but I LOVED the 2nd intro. I didn't get to see the entire original posting, as snapper was correct and She Who Must Be Obeyed came through first.

That said, I don't think it matters. I agree with the majority of snapper's comments on the original 13. This second version made me laugh my butt off. In particular:

quote:

Of course, after I had slammed the door in his face, my good manners overcame my common sense. I opened the door again and asked, "Was there anything else you wanted, Dad?"

I don't mind that you refer to him as 'the mathemagician' first. It gives the impression that he is the title first and foremost, and a father second. As for her cussing, I thought it fit in nicely with the intro. She started off saying "I don't want an adventure" and then one shows up at her door. I wouldn't suggest changing it unless you were shooting for a YA audience.

Good job.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
The passage that Christian quotes amused and attracted me too.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I concur with the rest. As someone that enjoys to write humorsous pieces (at least I convince myself they're funny) I must say that the 2nd version was fabulous. Nice job, good hook. If you managed to keep that jovial tone for the entire story, I would suspect that you would have an easy time making a sale.

Have a ball of string for a prize.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Well, you can't see it, but I was doing a happy dance with my ball of string until a certain four-legged cat stole it.... Thanks for all your comments! I'm especially glad you found that one line amusing, because it really is one of my favorites.

I think Christian's pretty much pegged all the things I was going for in the the first 13: her father is definitely his job first and father second, and she's REALLY not happy to see him. Hopefully the next couple of lines reinforce that.

Does it break all etiquette to ask if anyone is willing to critique the whole story for me, now? I couldn't quite get up the nerve to ask until I had a better sense of whether or not it was complete rubbish. :-) I'd be really interested to know if it follows up on the promise of the new first 13 or if it loses the (mathe)magic.

P.S. To avoid false advertising, I'm only a fake Brit - born in the USA. But I like to think that the best bits of British culture are rubbing off on me. ;-)

Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I'd note that I prefer the second version and, being a neologist, love the word "Mathemagician". This kind of reminded me of the beginning of "A Wrinkle In Time", which can only mean good things for the rest of the story. Keep up the great work. Best regards,

Brant

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bycin
Member # 8297

- posted      Profile for Bycin   Email Bycin         Edit/Delete Post 
Kitti,

I also really enjoyed the 2nd posting you did. I found the voice, the humor, and the hook all wonderful. I'd be happy to do a read through of the entire piece if you'd like. Feel free to email it to me.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
Does it break all etiquette to ask if anyone is willing to critique the whole story for me, now?

What!?! How dare you! How rude, and forward, and presumptious, and...

Damn, ran out of adjectives. Yeah, I'll take a look. Send it along.

Christian
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Kitti,
I'd be happy to read it as well. With an opening like that, who wouldn't want to read on??? I found this 13 to be crisp, concise, entertaining, and informative all at the same time. You amuse, give the father/daughter relationship, and set the tone of the story, all in the 1st 13. Great job.

[This message has been edited by Christian (edited February 15, 2009).]

Posts: 135 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tealeaf412
Member # 8459

- posted      Profile for tealeaf412   Email tealeaf412         Edit/Delete Post 
Your revised thirteen is positively charming. The swearing doesn't offend me, but I'm sure there's something else that can be put in place if others object.

I'll have a read too, if you want. We fellow newbies should stick together

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have a read, but I'm finishing up another crit so it'll be a few days before you get it back. Your revised first thirteen are (yeah, I'll say it) heaven. (I said it.)
Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kitti,

I'll have a read if you're after any more readers

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post 
Your second first 13 hooked me where the first didn't. Well done shifting the start. I also loved humor you inject into the tone from the get go, taking jabs at mild family disfunction as well as the fantasy trope of adventuring. All that besides, Mathmagician is an intriguing title and sparks curiosity all on its own. I am only a greenhorn around these parts myself, but I would be more than happy to give your story a read and a crit.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Hey all - I've emailed everyone copies of the full story as it currently stands. Please let me know if you didn't get it (I've switched email programs recently and we still aren't getting along). Thanks again for volunteering to read for me.

Cheers,
Kitti

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.