Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Byte Me--first 13

Author Topic: Byte Me--first 13
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Experimenting with a preposterous idea in this SF short. The term "digital entropy" is used as a placeholder until a to-be-determined term is groked. I'm not ready for any readers, yet.

-----
Ben took the stairs up eight flights to his office. No one trusted elevators to open doors where or when expected. Some companies were replacing digital controls in elevators with analog controls. The same was happening with traffic controls. Analog controls were less versatile, but they worked.

The Trans-Ports were now operated manually; new analog controls were months away. Fire/police and other first responders, power generation and distribution, fresh and waste water management, and other aspects of critical infrastructure were in chaos since digital controls were so ingrained in their daily operation.

Ben Torrent first checked his flash e-mail. One in particular caught his attention: Fools, discrete digital circuits are
----

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 05, 2007).]

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds like the beginning of a scifi thriller to me, wouldbe. Are you digitally ept enough to pull it off? I liked the set up, the chaos and then focusing back to the guy who may know what's behind it all it.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_here42
Member # 6302

- posted      Profile for just_here42   Email just_here42         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm looks to be a story with some interesting concepts.

The beginning is a little overbearing with all the information that is thrown at the reader so suddenly. I had to reread it to really get what you were talking about. Instead of stating all of these things about the setting so abruptly, maybe you could show them through the characters interaction with the environment.

If you need a reader, I'd love to read more and see what you do with these ideas.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a totally minor nit but the first sentence sounded really weird to me, "Ben took the eight flights of stairs to his office." would be better, I think.

I think one less "analog controls" - three times in the first two paragraphs seemed a bit much.

I think the idea seems a really interesting one and I'd read on to see where the story was going but I'd have liked to see a beginning that shows a glimpse of the chaos that is being caused and then move in to focus on Ben. I think this would have a bit more oomph than beginning with the elevators.

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ben took the stairs up eight flights to his office. No one trusted elevators to open doors where or when expected.
The beginning of your hook is right here -- I can see that the problem is pervasive, though I don't yet know it's digital controls. So get that idea out, but do it more quickly than you do here.

Maybe say that analog controls hadn't made it into all of the elevators yet, that first responders and other critical infrastructure were the first to be retrofitted to eliminate digital controls. Then get me to the email, which hints at being interesting -- and I suspect it tells me something about the problems with digital systems.

(I'm speaking in the imperative mood, but these are just suggestions, of course.)

Nit: I'd avoid using slashed word combinations (Fire/police) in general prose.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
The hook is good- I sense a society on the brink of some sort of massive change. However, there is some info dumping. I could tolerate it in the first graf but you almost lost me on the second graf. I'd rather learn more about Ben Torrent. Then maybe he could look out from a window onto the street and reflect on some of the other stuff or something. I also thought it a little weird you bring up his last name on the second reference, rather than the first.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited September 05, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool concept (I love the near-future sci-fi stuff)

I agree with what others have said, specifically it was the word "controls" that stood out to me. I think one reader's suggestion might alleviate the problem - stick something more in there about Ben first. Skip some of the info dump, deliver the bit about transports working manually and critical infrastructure being in chaos in tidbits during the story. Have things go wrong, or have Ben observe the huge piles of waste and remark to a colleague that the last time they saw a waste-bot through this sector it was autumn...know what I mean?

In the interim, you could introduce us to what it is Ben does, what office he's going up to. The bit about the elevators and the slight exposition about traffic controls is enough to hook us on the concept, IMHO.

Holler when you're ready for readers. Unless you're making it into a slasher thing, then I'm out.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this something akin to the new Battlestar series? The Galactica wasn't equipped with all of the fancy technology of the newer ships and survived the Cylon attack because they couldn't be infected by viruses and the like?

There's promise here, but, as is the general consensus so far, a little trimming is in order. The first two paragraphs should almost be merged into one, once the redundant parts are snipped away. Technically, the writing is good - clear, concise, simple. You could step up the language a touch, but that's just me. It feels stark to me.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

Jayson, BION, I never watched Battlestar Gallactica. But no, this story begins, as KayTi suggested, in the near future. It is not that technology is deficient by comparison, but that digital technology has recently begun to fail for an unknown reason. The emergency response is to swap out digital control circuits with analog near-equivalents. But that is done mainly for public safety issues like train control. That doesn't mean your microwave oven will ever work right again.

And let me say that q76$% 98 ,akl\ d* elapjn jidjhwk dl dh weuimndf.

See what I mean? Things just start going wronggggggggggg#

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
There's definitely a good hook here, with the idea that digital controls have become unreliable and nobody knows why.

I agree there's too much information in the first 13, and it doesn't seem directly relevant to Ben's journey up the stairs.

I'm concerned about willing suspension of disbelief, bearing in mind that the audience for SF probably includes lots of software and electronics engineers.

As you no doubt know, both digital and analog circuits are built from the same basic components - transistors, capacitors and so forth - so it's hard for me to imagine something that only attacks the digital circuits and leaves analog alone. ... Unless it's a digital virus of course, in which case surely the fix is easy - disconnect the digital controls from the networks. ... Or does 'analog' mean going back to vacuum tubes? (That'd be fun.)

These thoughts mean that my 'willing suspension of disbelief' is verging upon unwilling and I need to believe the analog substitution quite quickly to continue reading.

To borrow Deb's lovely phrase, I too hope you have the digital eptness to pull this off. With 'digital entropy' you're making a good start even if that is only a place holder.

If you want readers, I'm in.

Hope this helps, probably doesn't,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

Well, I see that Kathleen removed a couple of lines that would partially clear up the digital vs. analog issue.

Kathleen: discounting the two blank lines, the redacted text is only 11 lines. I'll have to check the Hatrack Experts thread to see if there are any attorneys amongst us .

The stranger who sent the email disabuses Ben of the notion that it was simply "digital" circuits that failed, but were "computing" devices. (Please go back in time and view the original post.) So, the idea was that computing itself had suffered some abstract limitation. Even so, any competent electrical engineer would, after examining enough failures, conclude that embedded computers (microprocessors) or other computers were always the culprit, even if the reason was not known. That conclusion would certainly be reached long before people began ripping monitor and control equipment out of trains and elevators. That is something of a flaw, but a minor one. (That is not to say that the first 13 needs no work.)

The real question is whether it is plausible (using SF standards) that some physical rail could interfere with computation per se (by machine or man). I wanted a physical basis for this, so I sought out a physicist. A very generous one volunteered some strong ideas. I would acknowledge him here if I knew for certain that he would not mind. So . . . I have some hope for this story.

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited September 08, 2007).]

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, now that sounds pretty ept to me. The idea that computation goes wrong is definitely interesting.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Pat, I didn't see the issue you saw with the logic. Here was my simplified way of explaining it to myself:

In this world, the computers were making many/all of the decisions about what action to perform when. Then they got all frigged up. So the computers making the decisions (a common occurence in our world, computers decide when to shift gears in our cars and change the signal at a traffic intersection, much less what to do with this text when I push the submit button, LOL) are the source of the problem. So WouldBe's MC's observations are of people removing the digial decision-making, and probably substituting humans (there could be an interesting side story about the work crisis, that all humans are currently working two and three jobs, after population downturns in the last 50 years due to the fact that computers did so much of the work...something like that...)

But anyway, sounds like you guys have it all worked out, just thought I'd add what I took it all to mean, given I have a technology background.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

KayTi,

In the 70s we were busy replacing the kind of analog controls the story mentions with embedded microprocessors. Part of the appeal, aside from their flexibility due to being programmable, was the increased reliability. When the story went the other way by substituting analog for digital it was hard for me to willingly suspend disbelief.

The thing is not that the digital systems have faults - heck, the software industry delivers gazillions of faults a year and I for one am ashamed of that - but that the control systems all seem to have the same fault. Embedded microprocessors don't do that because they are all programmed by different people and companies. The programming isn't likely to be the common fault, unless they're all using some common software, which is very unlikely (though not impossible): there are even several alternative operating systems for these things.

So if it's not the software, it's the hardware, and since that's all made by different companies too, it's also unlikely to be the problem. Not impossible but unlikely, and not hard to spot.

Hence it seemed to me that something was attacking the silicon itself, and since analog electronics uses silicon too, why wouldn't that be vulnerable also?

But WouldBe knows all this and is focused on computation - both in humans and in machines - so I'm waiting eagerly in hope of seeing the story. Perhaps the story asks, what if two and two doesn't always make four? Or maybe that's another story.

Cheers,
Pat

KayTi
Member # 5137

Computing itself hits a wall. Interesting. I also like the idea of including Digital Entropy in the title of the piece, I think that it is a concept we can get our head around, and gives us a framework for the suspension of disbelief that may be necessary.

Another idea would be to suggest removing some references to analog and referring instead to manual/aka human-operated. So stick a human operator in the elevator and stuff like that. Yes, less reliable.

For whatever reason, I'm reminded of a commercial for high-speed internet service from a few years back. It was a guy at a computer, and he was surfing the web. Then the computer says "You've reached the end of the Internet. Go back." The joke being the internet service was so fast you could see the whole internet in one evening of surfing.

I offer up my random reminding for free, no commitment required.

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
That's an awesome title, I love it.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.