Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Captive

Author Topic: The Captive
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you guys, what do you think of this opening? I was playing around with Jayson's suggestion to do something third person, and came up with this. I'm sandbagging on the boy's identity, of course, but I'd like to build a little more investment on the reader's part in the character before I get to that. Let me know how it works for you? Thanks, deb

The boy had been deprived of his birthright in more ways than one.
He had been the youngest, the darling – the Draga – of his mother, for nearly five years before the birth of his Royal brother, Ruda. Ruda displaced Draga in his mother's heart from her first glimpse of his sweetly curling golden hair, and she had focused on the infant with a fierce love that defied all decorum.
When the Turks had come, demanding proof of his Prince Father's allegiance to them, his Noble Father had pledged the lives of Draga and Ruda as a living oath to the Sultan Murad II, Ruler of the rapacious Ottoman Empire. On the boys' lives, he swore he would neither fight nor in any other way oppose the Turkish

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited September 06, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 06, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, where are the vampires in this story? Are the Turks vampires? I WANT MY VAMPIRES!

Seriously though, where are the vam--I mean--this sounds very good. If you want to put a larger wedge between Draga and Ruda and further rob his birthright, let the father-of-the-year pledge only Ruda.

Lemme read it.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Are Prince Father and Noble Father the same?

Is he really = Draga? It seems draga = darling, but also is the name of the MC? Or at least how you're going to introduce him to the audience? It makes that second sentence a bit choppy - you interrup the flow to say Draga, then again to say Ruda, and then in the next sentence you put their names 1 word apart...it could be that by introducing the name Draga earlier, you could separate out this a bit more. Then again, if you're not married to the names, you could also choose a name for one of the characters that doesn't end the same way as the other. Draga and Ruda sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s...LOL, sorry, just a little end-of-word-alliteration humor from me. (is there such a thing as end-of-word alliteration? Am I even spelling that right? Aliteration? Sigh, it's gotten too late.)

OK, then in that second paragraph, you seem to drive home the point about the boys lives...noble father pledged their lives, on their lives he swore, giving the boys into the sultan's keeping... I think it's safe to say we get it. Just a thought for you for revision time, perhaps this could be simplified? This is where I made the prince/noble father observation too. Same dude? If so, why two different names just a comma away from one another? FWIW, I suspect Noble Father fits the tone of your piece better. Don't need the prince thing, it's somewhat apparent from the events - pledging children into servitude of the Sultan and not to oppose him, for instance, that Noble Father isn't just a chicken farmer. You could always give the Noble Father the title of prince later if it's really needed.

Answering your question - this piece absolutely works as a 3rd person piece. The line "defied all decorum" is priceless.

I'd offer to read, but eep - I think I might be delinquent with something I had promised to read for you a while back - think that's possible? Are you sitting around pining for my crit? Let me know. I fell off the space-time continuum over the weekend and am only just getting back on.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Wouldbe, vampires are coming, but probably not until I get back to work - gap in DSL service from old house to new. sigh. I could probably send you a rather raw installment at some point tomorrow, if you like, I could use another brain to keep me on track.

Kayti, are you sure you're not Allietterating? Thanks for the suggestions on keeping it tight, greatly appreciated. And I frequently hang around pining for one of your insightful crits, whether you've offered or not . If you've got something done, cool, if not, I'd be glad to have you crit this one when it's ready, instead. Glad to hear you got that time warp thing straightened out. I don't have too much trouble with it, but my husband does, and man, it's a bear! Oh, no, wait - that was Brad and Janet. Sorry.

PS - I'm thinking this is going to be a longer piece, maybe in three installments, like the Monk. So now I've warned you, and that's that.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited September 06, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
***Edited to protect the Mysterious Properties of Deb's story***

At this point, I can't point out too many technical issues. I'd do away with rapacious myself - it's an empire demanding vassal hostages, after all. Probably not benevolent, then. I enjoy the change to third-person, too; it's not that I got tired of hearing your voice, Deb, but variation is nice, and you accomplish this with aplomb. Not much is happening here yet, at least as far as plot goes. We assume that Draga is going to fight for his birthright, among other things. Those who see the historical allusions you're making are like to be hooked simply based on that (which I am).

When this is done, send it my way. I, like KayTi, am behind on a crit for you (and Rick too!) but I should be caught up soon! I promise!

I love this, Deb.

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited September 07, 2007).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Jayson, there's no grass going on you! I am delighted that you approve. I am rather thinking this is going to be a larger piece, as stated above, and setting it all up so those not familiar with the history will still be engaged is the challenge. If you would be so kind, though, I would appreciate if you would edit your post so that my unsuspecting friends may have a small surprise when they read? I want to know if my subterfuge works.

And I think what I have planned will truly surprise you. I may send it out in a couple of smaller files, instead of one large one. Installments, if you will. I'll get one to you as soon as I reach a good break point.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited September 07, 2007).]

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Deb, I've never read anything of yours yet but I'd like to. Would you send this one my way when it's ready? I find the opening intriguing, and I like the setting.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it along - I always enjoy reading your work.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Hey everybody! I'm back, moved in, internet is on, and story has grown. I've got a little over seven thou words, and it is drifting toward horror, I'm athinkin'. KayTi, I will not force this one on you, but thanks for offering. I know you're not into the gory stuff. Knowing it's gory and 7,000+, anybody still interested in taking a look? (Jayson and Wouldbe, it's already on it's way to you, so don't bother saying no )
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still up for reading it!
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Deb, have you ever perused the area around the reply box? On the left, above the Smilies Legend, is a link to the UBB Code.

There, you will find:

• The code for bullets
  • The code for hyperlinking
  • The code for email links

1. The code for This lettered list
  2. The code for Italics
  3. The code for bold

etc...

There, now you have more toys now.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited September 13, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

hey, IAB, was the part you edited the part where you called me an idiot? if so, thanks for not spreading that around.

actually, I didn't know what UBB stood for. But under that, it says UBB code not allowed! See, I keep believing what I read.

And, thanks for sharing your toys!

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited September 13, 2007).]

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, gore? Count me in!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
It's written well, but it reads like a prologue. I don't feel very connected to the story or any current "goings on."
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Annepin, I'll get it to you as soon as I get home (it's on my hard drive there) Thanks!
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

hey, IAB, was the part you edited the part where you called me an idiot? if so, thanks for not spreading that around.

Now Deb, am I known for pulling punches? Right or wrong, I don't go back an eliminate my stupity(<--often) or genuis (<--extremely rare), I leave them the later benefit of myself and others. (So I may get less foolish. )

I edit for typos, omited words/letters, and the spawn of the evil multiple-key-strokes.

(Results may very. Some restrictions may apply. This offer void where prohibited. Some words may not be appropriate for children under seventeen. No purchase necessary. This post has not yet been rated. Refund: ME-VT-CT-MA-NY-OR-IA-HI-DE 5c MI 10c CA CRV )

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited September 14, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I bow to your wit does that make me a witness, or witless?
debhoag
Member # 5493

Revised first 13, but holding off on making point of view changes until I've got some feedback from my expert consultants (Jayson and Bill, you know who you are!)

The boy had been deprived of his birthright in more ways than one. Raised at a provincial court as a younger son of the Warlord meant that he occupied a position that carried with it more responsibility than privilege, but the boy faced it squarely and thrived on the lessons he was given: German and Greek and Latin; combat and strategy of all types; the deadly intricacies of European politics; the bitter war of magic and religion; his duties to his Father, his Kingdom and his Emperor.
One lesson was his alone – for it was not solely royal birth, but fierce intelligence, indomitable spirit and a bent for power that determined who was initiated into the elaborate rituals of the Secret, Most Sacred Order of the Dragon. When it

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 15, 2007).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.