Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WOTF Group 2008 Q02 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: WOTF Group 2008 Q02
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats ok with me. Yes, I did get your story, sorry I've been so long in getting it back to you. Had one of those weeks. Should get it in a day or so.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's fine with me, too (to have someone new join us.). And yes I got your submission.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it is sort of late, but If you guys don't mind a rookie joining in late I would be glad to.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

BentTree, are you the mystery person snapper alluded to? I added you to our running list.

WriterDan
KayTi
Annepin
Snapper
Darklight
BentTree
??

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I forgot about Kayti. Would you like a copy of my submission?
Yes, BentTree is the guy. He's spotted another contest honoring the late Heinlein. Check out the other thread in 'Groups' if you are interested.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Yeah, I have been in communication with Snapper with the other contest. I was nervous about comming in late, but I have a decent first draft. I can work it in time.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Bent Tree, if you have something ready, feel free to send it my way. I'll try to get it back to you within a few days.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Thanks Darklight. It is in the mail. I realize that I missed early crits, but if anyone needs a pair of fresh eyes feel free to send theirs.
darklight
Member # 5213

I've critiqued snapper and Bent Tree. Please send the remaining stories along when complete. I'm done but waiting for a final read through before I send it out. Hopefully that will be tomorrow.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

My inbox is empty. send em along. I can get to them right away.
annepin
Member # 5952

Everybody who is ready for crits please send their stories to me. So far I've only got snapper's. I'm going to hustle to get mine in by the 7th but this new job is killing me.
snapper
Member # 7299

Hey Annepin, I got a new job as well. Man is it cutting into my writing/criting hobby. I must apologize to BT. I am in the middle of your submission. I'll get it finished yet.
How you coming WD?

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited March 05, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

No worries Snapper. I need some cool time on that one anyway. Fresh eyes. I have been distracted with other projects. My inbox is still empty though. I haven't yet met WriterDan or
KayTi. Let me know if either of you are set to recieve.

darklight
Member # 5213

I've sent to snapper, annepin, Bent Tree and WriterDan. If anyone hasn't recieved it, let me know.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, sorry I've been out for a while. Had to take a road trip to Cali for a funeral just recently. Going to try and bang out the final finishing touches to my second draft. I've gotten stories from snapper and darklight. Looking for any others. Will get to them as soon as I finish drafting mine. Hello to Bent Tree! Glad you could join up with us. The more the merrier. Been trying to decide how things are going to work with this group as we get bigger. Everything to everybody seems to be working fine so far. Know what you mean about work annepin. Have to finish a paper (for my PhD) for publication by Mar 30th. Not looking forward to the double deadline this month. Luck to everyone. Write, write, write! Later.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
Too late to get in? The second deadline is tomorrow, right? I don't need a line-edit, just a general read-through, general impressions/comments--should make it easier. Please add me to the list.

Oh, and WriterDan, I just sent my story to you. Feel free to send me yours again too.

ADD: Glad to see that this group/idea has taken off. I'm not too busy the next couple of days. I can read a couple of people's stories. Post that you're sending it to me here, then send it to me via my listed e-mail.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited March 06, 2008).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

you're welcome to join. Send me yours. If you want to read mine, I could always use another pair of eyes. Let me know.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Christopher, Welcome. I'll send you mine if you send me yours. Sorry couldn't help it.
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper, BentTree, sounds good. My story is on the way. You guys send me yours.
Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Christopher, you can send yours over if you want another pair of eyes to take a look, I'm not too busy at the moment.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

New running list of participants for our critique group:

WriterDan
KayTi
Annepin
Snapper
Darklight
BentTree
Christopher

Try to have all crits back by the 14th at the latest. Everyone'll need the last two weeks for their final polishing. Good luck.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Okay, I've sent my story out once again. Hope it's better this time around.

I've received stories from snapper, darklight, BentTree, and Christopher. Annepin's is coming, I know. And I haven't seen hide nor hair of KayTi in a long time. Anyone know about her?

snapper
Member # 7299

I've got everyones except, kayti and annepins, I suspect Kayti has dropped but I bet Annepin is still with us. I'll get to everyones, I promise. this new job has kept me busy.

Man is this thread getting long. Back to BT's crit.

Christopher
Member # 6336

Thanks, Darklight. I just sent you my story.
annepin
Member # 5952

Yes, I'm still here. I've critted snapper's and Bent Tree's stuff, am working on Darklight's, and have received WriterDan's. Christopher, send me your stuff.

I'm hoping to work on my submission today and tomorrow, so it will be a little late. Sorry.

snapper
Member # 7299

Take your time, annepin. After that wonderful critique you gave me you can count on a crit from me the day before the deadline if you need it.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited March 08, 2008).]

darklight
Member # 5213

I'm up to date now, just waiting for annepin's story, whenever you're ready.

Snapper, something you said to me in your critique that I didn't really get at the time hit me yesterday like a potato around the head. In the process of changing it now. Thank you, and to everyone else too, who's helped me. I'm beginning to think this story may have been worth all the pain.

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys. I did drop off the face of the earth - I've been preoccupied with non-writing things, including a visit of influenza to the house. Luckily it only took out the youngest, although it meant a week of house arrest for me. You'd think that would mean more writing time but, alas, that hasn't been the case. Lots of scooby-doo got watched, though.

I feel terrible for those who have sent me files - I am just way behind. Would you like for me to do a final readthrough? If so, please send your latest draft. My email is my handle plus the number99, I don't post it here.

I still don't know if I'll enter this quarter. I have the story partly formed, probably about 1k words and a rough sketch of the rest but I think it's going to be 10k when it's done, and I'm not sure I have the time to write and POLISH 10k. Writing the 10k isn't the hard part, but polishing it is. It's been a terrible quarter for me for writing, ugh. I've been doing a lot more non-fiction lately, which is fine and good but not helpful here knocking on the door of the next deadline.

So - don't wait up nights waiting for my MS, but I'll check back in if I'm able to finish it to see if anyone's up for a fast read, seeing as how I'm already down to the wire.

Again, my apologies for going radio silent. Didn't mean to - just one of those things.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Feel free to send it anytime, if you decide to enter. I can usually turn one in a day or two.
darklight
Member # 5213

I know it's getting late in this quarter (only fourteen days until they have to be in the post) but taking advice from a number of crituqers, I've changed my story a bit - well, I've changed it a lot. I have a new, new first scene, changed the main story from third to first person POV and will hopfully soon have a final scene to tie it all up.

So, would anyone be willing to give the story a final read through. I'm hoping to have it finished in the next couple of days, but it may be longer since I started a new job today, and it's pretty tiring.

Much thanks to anyone willing to read again.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I can Darklight. I need a reader also. I did a complete makeover on my entry. Send yours over when you are finished
darklight
Member # 5213

Thanks a million Bent Tree. Send yours over to me. I should be able to get to by Wednesday, Thursday at the latest if that's not too late.
snapper
Member # 7299

Hey Everybody. It's been a long since I checked in, new job has kept me away.
I got mine completed. Thank you to you all, especially Annepin. With all of your help, I now have something I can proudly submit. Don't know if it will go anywhere but I'm ready for whatever happens.
Darklight, what did I say that hit you over the head like a potato? Send over your final version, I'm really curious now.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

I'm open for another read through. More than happy to do it for anyone.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I might take you up on that Dan. I'm almost finished with a complete rewrite. I chose to stick with the intro character as the MC, but I changed it to develop her character and the plot better.
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy to crit anyone's, since I haven't done any of the crits I promised. That way in a few more days when mine is finished I might not feel quite as guilty.

If you have my email addy (my handle + 99) please send it over. If you don't, I can email you via your profile (I don't post my email. Allergic to spam.)

I am working on mine today, but just discovered that my daughter's school is out tomorrow AND thursday, which blows the last 4 hours I expected to have to work on this before spring break next week. Sigh. I am going to have to find some other time.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

You guys are great. I should be sending out my third and final revised version of this story some time this evening.

snapper, it was the comment about the dialogue that suddenly made sense to me while reading back the story. Thanks for pointing it out, I might not have realised had you not. No idea why I wrote it that way. Let's hope it's better this time.

Thanks to everyone who's willing to crit again. Send your stories to me if any of you need another read through. I have a four day weekend after tomorrow so have plenty of time.

annepin
Member # 5952

Well, I'm still going to try to enter, though I don't know if I'll be able to get my story done in time for folks to crit. Thanks to all of you who offered, even at the last minute (snapper!). I'm just swamped for time right now. I'm squeezing in an hour here and an hour there but my schedule has just been all whacked to heck now.
snapper
Member # 7299

Feel free to send your script, annepin. I'm free if you like to send yours as well, BT. I got a free weekend for you.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Only four days left peoples!!! Let's get movin! Grab those red pens. Make your manuscript bleed! Make it the best story you've ever written. And then, Monday night when you're sitting, exhausted, head spinning from too much caffeine and not enough sleep, you can lay your head on your pillow and wish you could pass out into that neverwhere of rest and relaxation but not be able to. Only then can you enjoy a few hours of respite before its off and on to newer and better things. So dig in! In the end, it'll be worth it. Show yourself what you can do. Luck to all.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

My eyes are bleeding. My fingers long for the speed of writing, and threaten to wrap themselves around of this editor that restrains them which is me.

BTW Vista SUCKS!

I am having trouble formatting the MS. This is new to me.

darklight
Member # 5213

I'm done! Its printed and in the envelope ready to be mailed.

quote:
BTW Vista SUCKS!

I couldn't agree more. I had my new laptop, complete with Vista less than twenty four hours before I packed it up and sent it back. Then spent a whole day trying to find one that came with Windows XP. (Needless to say, I succeeded.)

Khalan
Member # 5950

- posted      Profile for Khalan   Email Khalan         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck everyone, we're all pulling for you.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Gah! Where does the time go? Somehow I convinced myself that I have a whole 'nother week to work on this. Then my time-stopping-device-thingy broke... Time for emergency measures!
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, anne, when you get that time-stopping-device-thingy fixed, tell me... I would very much like to use it.
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

There are a lot of us here, annepin, that are still open to help with a last-minute read-through. Doesn't matter for me when it comes. I'll drop and read it for you. Luck!
snapper
Member # 7299

I'm available as well. Send what you got. I'm here for you.
darklight
Member # 5213

Good luck to everyone who's entering this quarter. Don't forget to keep us posted on how you do.

Are we starting a new group for the next quarter?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, best of luck, everybody. Even though I don't do it---there's no reason for me to go into that again---I wish the lot of you the best of luck with it.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
Are we starting a new group for the next quarter?

Absolutely! Someone just need to start a new thread

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited March 30, 2008).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.