Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WOTF Group 2008 Q02 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: WOTF Group 2008 Q02
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, come April 1st, I might just do that!
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
snapper and writer dan, thanks so much for your support. you guys are the bestest ever! the thing is, i haven't had time to really revise anything. i think i'll just take this as a learning experience and try to get a head start on next quarter. i've just been inundated by life changes this quarter--got to find my feet starting April 1.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good, annepin. That's what I ended up having to do with my story from last quarter too. Only that was my fault. I kept making MAJOR changes to it. And then I bailed on it. Sheesh. Anyhow, hope you'll stick with us for next quarter.

As for the new thread, I was planning on starting another one for next quarter just after I mail my manuscript off. (Yes, I'm still making finishing touches. I'm such a freak. lol) Setup should be the same. Will look for everyone to sign up. Thanks again for all of the help that everyone gave me, and for everyone's willingness to make this group work.

Good luck to everyone!

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to everyone that made it. Sorry I couln't be a more active part of this group, thanks to those of this group that helped me out. (If anyone's curious I cut 9 pages worth, ending up with 13,500 words.)
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck All. It was a good feeling sealing that heavy envelope and kissing it goodbye. To top it, when I got home there was an acceptance in my inbox from AlienSkin. "Shopping in Denver" will be my first time in print.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't make it. I have a really solid start (2500 words) of what is probably an 8k word story, but I just didn't have the time these last few weeks. It's been a crazy start of the year, I think I need to work harder at scheduling my writing time. I've been bouncing between a bunch of different projects, and fiction falls by the wayside when I've got other stuff to write.

But, there are other quarters, and other contests. I'm going to keep moving with some other nifty ideas. I'm also still reading Story by McKee which keeps giving me meaty ideas for how to work with my stories to give them the maximum impact. I almost feel like if I could just power through the rest of that book (I am slow because I like to take lengthy notes of parts that are particularly helpful to me, and because usually it gets read in the twice weekly 45 mins I have while the kids are in gymnastics and tae kwon do, LOL) I'd be a much better writer. Funny how that insecurity creeps in.

At any rate, good luck to everyone who was able to mail off one of those thick envelopes! Congrats for meeting the goal of entering. It's a great goal, and I wish everyone the best of luck.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Thanks to all who helped me get my story into some kind of shape for this quarter. It was certainly a learning curve for me. You guys are great and I'm looking forward to the next quarter. Congrats Bent Tree on your first story in print, hope its the first of many.

Thanks too, to everyone who's wished us luck.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited March 31, 2008).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck all.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to everyone. Everyone did a splendid job with there submissions. Anyone care to make a guess at whichone has the best shot of capturing first place this quarter? Of the ones in our group I am voting for WriterDan. A great piece.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if you got an honor though.

Hey BT! What a coincidence! My micro-fiction got accepted too! Second time for Alienskin for me.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

And it's off!! Not so thick though. Ended up cutting it down to nearly 6K words. Phew. A sigh of relief, and now I can sleep again.

IAB. When did you show up? Thought you were out for the quarter? Anyhow, glad you got something in. Joining us for next quarter? Hope so.

Luck to those that have yet to go. The time deadline is quickly rushing across the US. Make it in! Later.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I planned to be out, but a story came up and demanded attention. It smacked me around until I wrote it, and well, the rest is...
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to put in my thanks too. The Buddhist Tree is a much better story after the crits. Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback.

I'm putting in a vote for Dan's story too.

I think it's the type of story the contest is looking for. It should do well.

NOTE: If it doesn't place, Dan, you should submit it to other places. It was a fun story to read and crit. I hope it gets read by bunches of people.

Alright...is everyone gearing up for next quarter? This critique group is hummin' along good now. With all of us critiquing each others stories (all the brain power we've got focused on the task), I think it is just a matter of time before someone places in the contest.

Thanks to everyone.

Let's keep on keepin' on.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited March 31, 2008).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

First round of QF awards for Q02. Didn't see anyone's name that I recognized. The two from Utah gave my heart a lurch before I read the names. Sheesh. You'd think I'd get used to this.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Joni will call you to get permission before she posts your name--she decided last quarter that she's going to get hold of everyone she can by phone. If she doesn't call you (or get you by email), she won't post your name.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Yeah. I read that on the WotF forum the other day after posting. Still, it's exciting to know that the first QF's are coming in.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Congratulations on the HM, Patrick James! Woo-hoo!! Our first award of the group!
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Ditto.
darklight
Member # 5213

Thanks to everyone in this group that helped me get my story good enough for an HM! I couldn't have done it without you guys!
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats darklight!

I don't remember critting yours(I wasn't in the group that quarter), but I look forward to helping you out next time. I have heard a lot about your talent--it's said that you're bound to be a winner, one of these times. Keep trying.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Congratulations on the HM, Patrick James! Woo-hoo!! Our first award of the group!

Good job, Patrick and Darklight. Our first awards for the group....hopefully with many more to come.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited May 17, 2008).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, am I allowed to be ornery and despondent yet if I haven't gotten a call about my story from Q02? This is seriously killing me.

Ah, and congrats to darklight! Another HM for the group! Dang we're amazing. Good going darklight! Glad to see you listed there with your name in lights. On to next quarter, eh? Let's keep moving on up.

darklight
Member # 5213

Thanks everyone!

As I said before, WriterDan, not hearing means nothing. I didn't get an email or a call, just found my name up there on the blog (after a tip off from an esteemed member of Hatrack )

Got my fingers crossed for you - yours was a very good story.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Well I might end up curling into a ball and sucking my thumb until Wednesday night then. Ugh. Wonder if posting your name without contacting you first was a goof or if they have some method to their madness of contacting some but not all.

So far I've read of two people who have gotten the "finalist" call for Q02 (Utah & Oregon). Nothing on the semi-finalist front yet though.

And thanks for trying to cheer me up darklight. I appreciate it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
***As Advertised: New author willing to doubt self for little to no money down. Call now! Operators are standing by...
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Christopher
Member # 6336

[as also posted in 'open discussion about writing']

Just got my rejection letter today.

My story didn't have a lot of speculative stuff at the beginning.

I decided to risk it. Probably not a great idea.

I'm thinking that, due to that, it might not have even been read beyond the first page or two.

Oh, well. I still like the story.

Already workin' hard on next quarter.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Got my response today.

Letter: Thank you for entering. Your story did not win this quarter.

I'm at a loss for words. Not that I thought I'd bring home the gold or anything, but I thought I'd at least get an HM. So, after four hours of self-deprecatory meanderings, I think I'm going to go lay down and catch up on some of the sleep that I've been missing. Please excuse my absence if I don't surface for a few days.

annepin
Member # 5952

I'm kinda shocked actually, WriterDan. I thought you were a shoo-in for an HM, at the very least. Your story was darn good! I hope you'll submit it elsewhere.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hope you'll submit it elsewhere.

Amen! I hope all of you who have submitted and not won will submit your stories elsewhere. Writers of the Future is only one market, and while it pays quite well, there are other paying markets out there. And some of them are more respected than WotF, even if they don't pay as much.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

I'm really sorry to hear that, Dan. I too am shocked. You should definatly sub it around.

I'd like to sub mine too, but since its quite long, not sure there's many markets for it.

Good luck this quater to everyone!

Bugaboo
Member # 7996

- posted      Profile for Bugaboo           Edit/Delete Post 
I just joined Hatrack, but I have a story in for Q2. Read on WOTF blog they were calling the semi-finalists and finalists over the weekend. My phone was quiet, of course, so I know I didn't place. It's great you have a special place for WOTF contestants. I expect to be frequenting it. Maybe, not so much for Q3 though. My story just isn't working out and I've lost interest in it. Q4, definitely.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Listen. Those of you who got letters when others are saying they are surprised because it seemed like a quality piece. Obviously KD Wentworth felt that there is something wrong with it because she is not stingy with HM's. You should put it back up for crit and let us see if we can figure it out by consensus. I would be happy to read and give my opinion as to what it may be that threw her. Have a few others look as well and if you see some consistency than you can remove the kink and send it in again (they allow that once) or submit it elsewhere. It would be healthy for the group to identify the problem as this helps everyone grow - a real writers workshop kind of move. Just a suggestion.

Tracy

Edit to add: I only say this because I work and work on a single piece until I have no kinks left that anyone can find. Whether you would want to do this, depends greatly on if there was a strong storyline or not. Most of my pieces have a strong storyline. If you have a piece that had a fairly casual storyline and relied heavily on the merits of the writing, then I agree you should move on. If it was a great idea with strong plot then I think you should try and fix it, otherwise, what a waste.

If you got an HM or a letter, then only KD Wentworth saw it. She is the sole judge up to that point. If you got an HM, that means she found little wrong with the quality of writing but the story was too weak when stacked against the competition. Remember that she can only send 8 stories forward to other judges. If you got an HM you need not worry because that means you may only have been the victim of an extremely strong quarter. She is saying, you’re a contender.

If you got a letter, she is saying, you are not a contender. Now yes, that’s her opinion but she does this a lot! So time to suck it up like a good writer and ask, why was I not a contender? I my opinion you need to figure that out to truly move on.

Many people who attend Bootcamp come back saying things like, I was starting my stories in the wrong place, or I have great ideas but my characters lack intriguing motive or attitude so the audience assumes weak ones. It could even be simple grammatical errors, which is easiest of all for the group to find. I understand the frustration but perhaps some of you may be missing opportunity here.

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited May 20, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Well, there might not be anything patently "wrong" with it. It simply might not be what the judges are looking for. WotF is a great opportunity, but it's not the only publication, and each publication has their preferences.

I'm thinking back on Heinlein's rules here. Once you've polished it it might simply be better to move on to the next piece, rather than retinkering with the whole thing again.

<shrugs> My two cents.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited May 20, 2008).]

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I am shocked also. IGMS might be a good market to submit that story. You won't have a hard time getting it in print somewhere.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
"Redlight" made semi-finalist.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

Redlight? Whose story was this? If it was someone here in our group, you should let us read the critique--and the story again. I'd love to hear what Kathy's thoughts were on the story's strong points and weak points.
arriki
Member # 3079

It's mine. I wasn't part of the group, just been reading your posts.

I've been busy with the Heinlein contest and that group.
I'm thinking of sending Ghosts of the Void there. Getting near the wire so I've been obsessing over the opening a bit.

I think the story -- which was one of those in my self-challenge of a story a week -- needs to simmer awhile on the back brain so sending it off to the Heinlein contest who'll keep it for a year is probably a good idea.

Redlight, on the other hand, is going out again after I've heard about its flaws from WOTF. It's been rejected summarily by all the magazines so it's going to another contest.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Success as a writer involves both talent and drive. You can't make it without both. The writers with the best imaginations are the ones with the best chance for a career, but the drive to hone your skills and keep submitting your work in the face of rejection is crucial. I have belonged to a writer's group for almost twenty years now and in that time I have seen far more writers without enough drive than without enough talent.

KD Wentworth from the forum

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Oh, oh, OH!!!!!

I can't believe it!
The only reason "Redlight" did not make it to the finals is that at the bottom of page three a line was dropped. The last three words of a sentence somehow didn't get printed even though they are in the file on my computer!!!

That's it! That's all that was wrong!!

Argh!!!!!!!

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Just re-emphasizes the fact that the stories this past quarter were all really good ones, like Kathy said. That's too bad. still, you have to know that your story was good. On to the next.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.