Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Fantasy: Illusions of the Nalokine, Chapter 1

Author Topic: Fantasy: Illusions of the Nalokine, Chapter 1
Nagrom
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Nagrom   Email Nagrom         Edit/Delete Post 
Chapter 1 takes place in a very different place and time from the prologue, so I'm posting the first 13 lines from it, too.

Revision 2

_Thwack!_ Mark had a lot of pent up frustration, and it felt good to smash the ball. It hugged the right wall as it headed towards the front. Yep, much better than smashing his fist into a wall. No illusion ability, no influencing, no shapeshifting. Nalokine always started exhibiting their special talents at puberty, and he was close to ten years past that.
His brother Eric tried to get the ball as it bounced back, but Mark blocked his path. Eric shared his no-talent status, as did their sister Nicole. It didn’t seem to bother Eric, though. Nothing bothered him for long.
Eric sighed. "Okay. Your game again." Eric’s curly blonde hair, sparkling blue eyes, and easygoing personality contrasted with his own dark brown hair and eyes and serious demeanor.

Revision 1

_Thwack!_ Mark smashed the ball along the right wall towards the front. He had a lot of pent up frustration. No illusion ability, no influencing, no shapeshifting. Nalokine always started exhibiting their special talents at puberty, and he was close to ten years past that.
His brother Eric tried to get the ball as it bounced back, but Mark blocked his path. Eric shared his no-talent status, as did their sister Nicole. It didn’t seem to bother Eric, though. Nothing bothered him for long.
Eric sighed. "Okay. Your game again." Eric’s curly blonde hair, sparkling blue eyes, and easygoing personality contrasted with his own dark brown hair and eyes and serious demeanor. They were both physically fit, using the university athletic....

Original

_Thwack!_ Mark smashed the ball towards the front; it flew parallel to the right wall of the court, almost kissing it. His shot drew his brother Eric off the "T" in center court toward the right to pick up the return, and Mark claimed the strategic spot for himself. He was stressed out, feeling inadequate, and taking it out on his prankster brother usually helped.

There was only just over a month left until graduation, and it looked like another milestone would pass with no sign of the special mental powers that were his birthright as a Nalokine. Classes could be better, too. He was pretty good with languages, and taking a first year Chinese course this year sounded fun, but he was struggling with it.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 22, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by Nagrom (edited January 23, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by Nagrom (edited January 26, 2010).]

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this is the right place to begin. Playing Tennis(?) isn't that interesting of a start and his internal monologue doesn't present enough of a conflict to draw my interest. I suggest thinking of a new place to start.

Good Luck!

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nagrom
Member # 8968

I've posted a first revision that tries to ratchet down the game description and increase the focus on Mark's frustration. I wanted a physical outlet for that frustration, but I agree that the original version had the wrong balance.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simoncake
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for simoncake   Email simoncake         Edit/Delete Post 
The revision certainly sticks better and draws me in a little more. Its focus definitely seems the Character(s) and his (their) conflict(s), not a tennis lesson

Great Rev...

Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with MAP. This seems an odd place to start.

You've introduced a conflict, the late blooming (or never blooming) status of the siblings, but I don't know why I should care. Also, is there a reason the protagonist thinking about this during tennis?

Or maybe I just don't like tennis.

Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nagrom
Member # 8968

Thanks simoncake and babooher. I've made another slight revision to make it clearer why the protagonist is doing something physical to help ease his frustration. As simoncake said, I think the first revision moved the focus from the game to the conflict, and I hope this one explains why he's being physical right now.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.