Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » What I'm Reading Now Thread (Page 17)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22   
Author Topic: What I'm Reading Now Thread
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by History:
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
How many have read any of Lord Dunsany's novels?

I have, though Dunsany is best known for his short stories.

My favorites:
The King of Elfland's Daughter
Don Rodriguez: The Chronicles of Shadow Valley
The Charwoman's Shadow
The Curse of the Wise Woman
The Blessing of Pan

Then again, I'm a Dunsany collector.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

P.S. I left out Eddison's The Worn Ourobourous, Morris' The Well At World's End, and James Branch Cabell's works, particularly his Poictesme novels and his scandalous Jurgen. [/QB]

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Read the first three Dunsany novels as Ballantine Adult Fantasy entries (or reprints), but the others haven't turned up in my sight. I have strong affection for his short stories, of which I've got a few volumes---and once went through every short story anthology in the school library looking for some Dunsany nuggets.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
MattLeo, I read the book about the same time I saw the John Wayne version and the thing that amazed me was how directly it translated into a movie (much of the dialog seemed to carry over word for word and so did much of the action). I had never seen that done so well between book and movie and suspected that Portis wrote it with a movie in mind. (The ending didn't match, however, and I figured that was a directorial decision.)

Having since read William Goldman's books about screenwriting and turning novels into movies, I'm still impressed, and I liked how the recent movie version fixed the ending so it worked the way it did in the book.

History, I'm sure I've read all of those old books you listed except the last two, though I've heard of them and may have read (or attempted to read) them as well. I thought the title of the last was THE DREAM QUEST OF UNKNOWN KADATH, however.

As for the more recent books you mentioned, I've only read the first in the Game of Thrones series, and I haven't heard of Malazan.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

You are correct, Kathleen. I must have fallen asleep when writing the title of HPL's The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath. [Wink]

Jason Thompson has a graphic novel adaption available, and a color poster of Lovecraft's Dreamlands (that also incorporates part of Lord Dunsany's Dreamland as well). http://store.mockman.com/collections/frontpage/products/dream-quest-poster-special

Brian Lumley (best known for his Necroscope series) also wrote a series of three novels and stories with a sword and sorcery twist within Lovecraft's Dreamlands [ http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=brian+lumley+dreamlands&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=20361330685&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1375110136110861155&hvpone=&hvptwo= &hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_8rrk6yq2jr_b] and Gary Meyers wrote within them as well [ http://www.amazon.com/House-Worm-Gary-Myers/dp/0870540718 ]

All wonderful stuff, although the original Dunsany stories which so inspired Lovecraft stand a level above, in my humble opinion.

I've read The Game of Thrones and all its sequels but only read about the Malazan decology. They have a gritty realism and are more non-heroic than anti-heroic. They are not works I would consider "escapism" where one gets relief from the ugliness and injustice too often evident in the world where we are awake.

However much they are touted for this "new" type of "realism in fantasy", they were not the first to do so. Katherine Kurtz, for example, ventured into non-heroism in her Deryni series novel King Javan's Year (1992) that disappointed and angered me when I was so needing evil to be defeated and good to triumph. [Her first Deryni trilogy, by the way, is excellent old-fashioned heroic fantasy that I highly recommend].

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen -- I just re-watched the John Wayne movie and yes, if you can get past the obligatory expository song (thanks for nothing, *High Noon*) the dialog and storyline are remarkably well preserved -- except for losing the novel's elegaic ending. In part this is possible because despite its emotional and intellectual heft, the novel is quite compact. I'd estimate not much more than 60,000 words.

Have you seen the Coen brothers version? They stated that they wanted to make a version that was truer to the book, but in fact they changed a lot more than the Wayne version does. Some of it exaggerates what is in the book, as in LeBoeuf's pompous character. Some of it muddies the story for no apparent reason (e.g. the setup for the shootout at the dugout). Some of it is just the Coen brothers indulging in their fondness ghastly gallows humor (and I literally mean "gallows humor").

But strangely, despite having many more changes than the '69 movie, the Coen brothers film *does* feel more true to the book. I think there's three reasons. First there is Hailee Steinfeld's jaw-dropping performance as Mattie. Kim Darby was *very* good, but Steinfeld is amazing -- especially considering she's about the right age for the part; if anything a tad young. She steals the spotlight from Rooster Cogburn and puts it back where it belongs, on Mattie. Second there's the first-rate soundtrack, which draws on authentic 19th century Presbyterian hymns (how's that for an in joke?). It's hard not to cringe at the sentimental cowboy-pop of the '69 film.

Best of all, the Coen brothers restored the bleak ending of the novel, and particularly bookending it with Mattie's narration of her father's murder. She scoffs at how Tom Chaney probably thought he'd got away scott free:

quote:
You must pay for everything in this world, one way and another. There is nothing free except the grace of God.
By starting the movie with this and ending it with Mattie's bleak future, this bit of Presbyterian moralizing becomes foreshadowing of what Mattie has to give to achieve her vengeance. That's a writerly touch. Another writerly touch is the opening quote from Proverbs 28:1 "The wicked flee when no man pursueth," in which they leave out (as Portis did) the rest of the verse: "... but the righteous are bold as a lion." That's a nice little Easter egg for us inveterate looker-upppers.
Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I saw the Coen Brothers version as well, and, as I said above, appreciated that they were able to make their movie ending true to the book.

Hailee Steinfeld is amazing, especially in the way she was able to speak her lines so naturally. I could believe that she actually talked that way. Impressive!

I enjoyed both versions (and I was glad that Bridges didn't try to imitate John Wayne's Cogburn, but brought his own interpretation to the role).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Changing the subject here [Wink]

I haven't read the book nor seen the second version so I have no idea what the ending should be. Loved the John Wayne version.

But I'm reading a short story collection--a UF anthology edited by P.N. Elrod Titled "Hex Appeal".

It has all of the favorite UF writers including the start of a new series by Jim Butcher. I say new series but I'm not sure if it will be books or short stories. Hope it has another noir style story with a certain vampire bar owner.

I also bought JJA's rather large Epic Fantasy anthology, I won't get to it for a while but it's waiting for me.

My muse perked up her head at the cover, A lady, probably of the evening, wearing a minidress is standing on a street corner while leaning against a building. To me--I'm sure some will disagree--her face shows she doesn't belong there. Not your usual hooker. So my muse told me a story, most of it anyway. She is a police officer undercover(Borrowing from Dr. Bob types of story) but it's not a police story it's a relationship story between a husband and wife. A rather short story--right now anyway--with a vampire that attacks her(so some paranormal) and magic(Some UF in it too).

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I haven't read these but some here like historical and Nonfic so I thought I would list these two.

"Custer" Here

This one may have been mentioned already but I saw it in a blurb in my local paper today.

And there is a book out that includes many Newspaper articles from the time of the Revolutionary War. Only problem it's rather large and probably is a coffee-table book. But I would find it interesting if I had more time to read.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

For those "True Grit" Fans I found this book at B&N Online by accident.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
How many have read any of Lord Dunsany's novels?

I have, though Dunsany is best known for his short stories.

My favorites:
The King of Elfland's Daughter
Don Rodriguez: The Chronicles of Shadow Valley
The Charwoman's Shadow
The Curse of the Wise Woman
The Blessing of Pan

Then again, I'm a Dunsany collector.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

P.S. I left out Eddison's The Worn Ourobourous, Morris' The Well At World's End, and James Branch Cabell's works, particularly his Poictesme novels and his scandalous Jurgen.

[/QB]
I'm finally getting to this. I just wanted to say that even though I don't recognize the name or the book titles it's very possible that I have read one or more these. I've read many book over the years that I can't recall or unless he-she struck me hard remember the writer. So if they have been out for a while I probably have read a couple at least.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm finally getting to this. I just wanted to say that even though I don't recognize the name or the book titles it's very possible that I have read one or more these. I've read many book over the years that I can't recall or unless he-she struck me hard remember the writer. So if they have been out for a while I probably have read a couple at least.

1896 for The Well at the World's End, 1922 for The Worm Ouroboros, Cabell in the first half of the 20th Century (Jurgen in 1919), and for Lord Dunsany, in the order listed, 1924, 1922, 1926, 1927, and 1933, respectively. So they've all been around for quite a while.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

Unfortunately, it may be a challenge to find many of the novels of Lord Dunsany. The King of Elfland's Daughter is a must, however.
http://www.amazon.com/The-King-Elflands-Daughter-Impact/dp/034543191X/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1356365970&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=lord+dunsany+king+of+elfland%27s+daughter

However, you can find a few collections of his marvelous short stories for Kindle, many for free.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sabc?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&pageMinusResults=1&suo=1356365559372#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_6?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=lord% 20dunsany&sprefix=lord d,digital-text,178&rh=n:133140011%2Ck%3Alord%20dunsany
These were the inspiration for many great fantasy authors, including Tolkien, Lovecrafy, Clark Ashton Smith, Jack Vance and more.

The Well At the World's End by William Morris and The Worm Ouroborous by ER Eddison and Jurgen by James Cabell can still be found, and I believe are available on Kindle for free.

Merry Christmas.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

MattLeo
Member # 9331

Did you ever hear the *King of Elfland's Daughter* album by Steeley Span's Bob Johnson and Peter Knight? Christopher Lee narrated.
Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

No, it's the first I've heard of it---Steeleye Span [spelling uncertain] is familiar to me, but not that particular album.
History
Member # 9213

quote:
Originally posted by MattLeo:
Did you ever hear the *King of Elfland's Daughter* album by Steeley Span's Bob Johnson and Peter Knight? Christopher Lee narrated.

Hmm. No, actually. And this is surprising to me.

I have a munber of albums (LPs) from the 70's, from readings by and songs regarding Tolkien's and CS Lewis' works to audio plays of REH's Conan (including one with a gorgeous Barry Windsor Smith cover signed by L Sprague de Camp). And from the 80's I have many more tape cassettes of similar type on a range of sf stories and novels.

But despite my once fervent search for all things Dunsanian, this little number I missed. Do you recommend it?

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

MattLeo
Member # 9331

quote:
But despite my once fervent search for all things Dunsanian, this little number I missed. Do you recommend it?
[/QB]

Hmm. It was recorded in 1977, and it's a kind of odd duck. It feels like it wants to be longer -- as if it were a sketch for a rock opera that was never finished so they released it as a single LP folk rock concept album instead. While it follows the book's story more or less, it doesn't have quite enough room to for the narrative to gel, so despite Christopher Lee's booming narration it's more like listening to a series of songs based on the story than to the story.

My personal reaction on listening to it recently was that I enjoyed it, although much of that was was reliving listening to the record in my geek friends' basement apartment 35 years ago. I'd say that if you are a Dunsany fan and were a young adult in the late 70s, it's probably worth tracking down. Good vinyl copies fetch forty , and it was reissued as a CD in 2007 in the UK. You can get an imported CD for around $25.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
You can get an imported CD for around $25.
Offered for $25.99 on Amazon-dot-com.
History
Member # 9213

Thank you both.

I've been playing Santa Yid (working the Christmas-New Year-school vacation so my Gentile partners may enjoy the holidays with their children), I've had little time to write. Instead I'm in the midst of enjoying all that exists of "Jewish" science fiction. As this is akin to reading about "Jewish sports greats!" I thought this may not take me too long. [Wink]

My neighbor, friend, crime fiction author and Ellery Queen Magazine book reviewer, Steven Steinbock, has asked my help in crafting a syllabus for a course on Jewish SF that he will be teaching next semester. He's also asked to include one of my tales in his reading list, which is very complimentary.

Anyway, here's my reading list of anthologies that promote themselves as Jewish SF, but we will be assessing to see if they contain actual Jewish themes. We are discovering that many do not, or are only superficially "Jewish" despite having Jewish characters; and many of the stories in "sf" collections are actually fantasy.

Anthologies (multiple authors):
Wandering Stars ed. by Jack Dann (1974)
More Wandering Stars ed. by Jack Dann(1977)
The Stars of David ed. by D.J. Kessler (1996)
People of the Book ed. by Rachel Swirsky & Sean Wallace (2010)

Anthologies (single authors)
The Sweet and Sour Tongue by Leslie What (2000)
Everybody Has Someone in Heaven by Avram Davidson (2000)
Hebrew Punk by Lavie Tidhar (2007)

The list of Jewish novels is even shorter.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I remember reading the anthology Wandering Stars, but not, I think, in 1974. Library copy, I'm pretty sure, though parts of my collection are so inaccessible (and poorly indexed) it's hard to say for sure.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I was intrigued enough by the comments to, just now, order one of the five CDs [from independent sellers] that Amazon-dot-com was offering...and, just for the hell of it, ordered the current Del Rey paperback of Lord Dunsany's original book...then, lo! and behold!, another book I knew was out but hadn't yet seen popped up and I ordered that too.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I may have seen "People of The Book" not sure if I read it.

But these are listed as Jewish might there be some that are but not listed as such?

Anyway, I'm reading--just started for a change--"The Ninth Circle"
by R. M. Meluch.

It continues the adventures of the crew of the U.S.S. Merrimack a star going battleship built and operated by the USA. This one surprised me for two reasons. One is that the last book was the end but I guess Meluch had another story for them after all.
Second is that the writing is better than the last one. I can't recall the first three but number four in the series was not good writing. Lots of telling and confusing action with various characters. And toward the end one major character pretty much left her husband because of something he had on board but Meluch never said what it was. Certain scenes seemed to be added because they had to go somewhere.

So far, three to five chapters, this one is much better. Maybe that one was written real fast or he was sick during it or they found a lousy ghost writer.

I said I don't recall how well the writing was in the first three because between numbers three and four I learned some new things about writing. I saw how they didn't happen in the fourth one.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Continuing the trend of "not much grabbed me this month." Nothing new, though I reread a couple of books I've read before, some of which I've already mentioned here.

Probably the most intriguing new thing I read was Guy Antibes's Daughter Bereaved---Guy Antibes usually posts 'round here as "Owasm." I enjoyed it, though the fantasy angle was slight. It's like "Prisoner of Zenda" meets Jane Austen. Intriguing. (It's the first of a trilogy, but I've only got halfway through the second book---one thing crowds out another.)

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

For those who like such things, a lot of books on the Middle East, Iran specifically, and Chine just came out. My paper listed about ten of them.

But I'm reading "Cursed" by Benedict Jacka. Book number two in the Urban Fantasy series about Alex Verus. I'me still reading "The Ninth Circle" but I needed to go a couple of places I didn't want to take my Nook so I started "Cursed".

It's a very well thought out magic system and as is the main character Alex. A complex man of fears, desires, vulnerabilities, and honor, among other things.

Two things about the books. First is that Jim Butcher likes them and thinks they are on par with his Dresden files. He made other statements along those lines. \ Actually, I believe that John Levitt's Dog Days series should be getting those types of comments by Jim. Of course I need to say that Jacka might be the better writer but that's not saying Levitt is bad in anyway.

The second thing I want to say is that I have already come up with my own character for Jacka's world [Big Grin]

Most probably I will never get the chance to write a story legally but I know a lot about my character's background and who he is already. It would be fun to do him. Oops, no name yet. [Smile]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Further addendum: I finally got around to listening to that musical CD / album version of The King of Elfland's Daughter yesterday morning. Not bad, not bad at all...it was nice to hear Mary Hopkin in a couple of vocals that aren't her Apple Records hits...but it's pretty short, only about thirty-five minutes, and lacks a good deal of the fine detail Lord Dunsany put into the novel. Well-produced well-written songs. (Glam rock?) Three stars out of four.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Just started "Dragon Justice" by laura anne gilman.

It's the next one and sounds like last one in a series by Gilman.

She seems to like to do shorter series.

This one is a UF series set in a world where some people have Talent where they can use a force much like electricity to do "magic". It's the second series set in that universe. The first one is was the "Retrievers" series. I think that one is a much better series but this one is great also.

If you like UF and/or Mysteries you will like this series.
I do have one criticism of Gilman's writing in this book. This series takes place in the same universe, city and time period as "Retrievers". Different events though. Mostly that is. In this book the MC references a major event that took
place in a "Retrievers" book. But the MC doesn't explain her part in the event nor even half way describes it. In other words if you haven't read the book where it happened you have no idea what went on. Of course it's not a major part of "Dragon Justice" so it may not be important but still,

[ February 02, 2013, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Normally I do that first-of-the-month thing, but that's tomorrow, and I expect to be relatively busy tomorrow, so I thought I'd get it out of the way now. (Other things get shoved to the second-of-the-month.)

Only a couple of books grabbed me this month. One, early in the month, is called Frank Sinatra: The Boudoir Singer, by Darwin Porter & Danforth Prince. This is a biography of Frank Sinatra in a sense---the "sense" being that it details his life by the lurid and twisted behavior he engaged in along the way. Libelous in the extreme, if Sinatra wasn't dead. Made for some compelling reading, despite its obvious crudity (and somewhat crude writing, I thought). Some of the stuff I'd heard before, but some was wholly new to me. And a lot of other celebrity misbehavior gets detailed, too. (Still, it did leave out some stuff I'd heard.)

Another one, towards the end of the month, this time: Sitting Pretty: The Life and Times of Clifton Webb, by (of all people) Clifton Webb, with David L. Smith. You may remember Clifton Webb, prominent actor in the 1940s / 1950s, from movies like "Laura," or "The Razor's Edge," or "Cheaper by the Dozen," or "The Stars and Stripes Forever," or "Sitting Pretty," or other titles. Had an interesting career arc---didn't become a major movie star until he was in his fifties, wasn't particularly handsome, was bitingly sarcastic. I only learned about this volume by chance last week and ordered it online. The first six chapters are by Clifton Webb himself (with some annotation)---he started writing his autobiography and got bogged down and never finished it. (I can sympathize with that.) Those chapters are interesting---they're written much like he spoke in the movies. But they only take his life as far as 1915 or so. The rest of the book is by the other-named writer. Still informative and interesting, though not as good as if Webb had gotten that far.

I spent some time rereading some books---several volumes in my Beatles book collection. I pick out new details practically on every pass. And I can say, though the books by their associates and friends often mangle the facts, they often give a compelling "I was there" sense of presence that more than makes up for it.

I picked up a copy of Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers and reread that---even when I read fiction, it's usually old fiction. It'd been some thirty years since I last read it, and I'd forgotten whodunit---but I picked that out about halfway through. (That, or I forgot I remembered.) Enjoyable. A biography of Sayers talks of how the book was "bowdlerized" (relating to a serious clue about the crime, actually)---and I wonder if an "unexpurgated" version exists, somewhere in Sayers's papers...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Started "Ashes Of Honor" by Seanan McGuire

Part of the October "Toby" Daye series.

Very well done--great writing. She's one of my top favorite newer writers. One of two I want to be like. I say that every time but it's still true.

Very Highly recommended. Even though I'm not sure about those cover pics. The face of Toby never is quiet right. The rest of it isn't bad.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Some of you like to read Non-fiction historical books so thought I would leave this link. The top four are all about Presidents.

Books

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I read Truman, but not the other two past it---and Coolidge has been on my short list for purchase since I heard about it, being an admirer of Amity Shlaes's book The Forgotten Man. Only not going to the bookstore, any bookstore, last week, prevented me from picking up a copy.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Did buy Coolidge this morning...hope to be reading it shortly...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Sometimes I wish I had more time to read novels like that.

My dad used to read everything he could get his hands on but he was retried too...and not writing.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

So do I...I buy a fair amount of books, intending to read them, but never getting around to it. But I never buy a book I don't intend to read...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I'm reading two.

I restarted reading the last WotF anthology and started "The Iron Wyrm Affair" by Lilith Saintcrow ---her name fits the genre.

It is a fusion of steampunk and Urban Fantasy. Not bad so far. The first chapter has a great action scene and explains some of what is going on. I little bit heavy on the steampunk devices for me but still not bad.

I've read the Rogue Wizard series by K. E. Mills which also is Steampunk-UF but in that case it was more UF this one has more steampunk.

But we shall see how it goes, I expect that I will buy the next one in the series.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Reading ENTWINED by Heather Dixon, a(nother) retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses story. I quite like it, and so far, it's in the "anxious to get back to it" category, which is pretty much the best I can say about books I read nowadays.
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Nearly done with Brandon Sandersons THE WAY OF KINGS. Some aspects are brilliant and addicting. Other parts feel a bit fat and could be trimmed extensively. Overall I am enjoying it and I trust he'll keep up.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

I just completed Lord Dunsany's The King of Elfland's Daughter (G Putnam 1924). This is the classic fantasy that inspired Lovecraft, Tolkien, Vance, LeGuin, and so many other "greats" of modern fantasy. I thought I might emulate MattLeo's excellent thread of "writers' book reports" but do not know if I am up to the task. Instead, I offer the following:

At its core, the KoED is an idyllic pastoral romance, a counter (industrial) revolutionary epic in the tradition of the great British romantic poets (Wordsworth, Keats, et al).

Dunsany's mastery is in transporting the reader from reality to wonder, not merely the enchantment of Elfland, unicorns, trolls, witches, will-o-the-wisps, and runic magic, but also the charm of the "fields we know", the dawn and the moon and stars, cowslips and fields and forests, time and memory. And his "truth", as much as many wish to deny it, is that our worlds are inescapably linked:

"Alveric knew, that much as the glamour that brightens much of our lives, especially in early years, comes from rumours that reach us from Elfland from various messengers (on whom be blessings and peace), so there returns from our fields to Elfland again, to become part of its mystery, all manner of little memories that we have lost and little devoted toys that were treasured once. And this part of the ebb and flow that science may trace in all things: that light grew the forests of coal, and the coal gives back light; thus rivers fill the sea, and the sea sends back to the rivers; thus all things give that receive; even Death." (pp.83-84)

Elfland and Earth are like two sides of a silver coin, joined but opposed. Despite all, they share the one thing that is of infinite value,that transcends both: the love for one's family.

I'll offer only one additional quote from the many that still, despite so many decades, inspires awe within me. It is one that I believe many here hold close to their hearts and that guides their own pens:

"And little he knew of what ink may do, how it can mark a dead man's thoughts for the wonder of later years, and tell of happenings that are gone clean away, and be a voice for us out of the dark of time, and save many a fragile thing from the pounding of heavy ages; or carry to us over the rolling centuries, even a song from lips long dead on forgotten hills." (p.131)

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury:
Reading ENTWINED by Heather Dixon, a(nother) retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses story. I quite like it, and so far, it's in the "anxious to get back to it" category, which is pretty much the best I can say about books I read nowadays.

Not sure if I know that story.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

I'll offer only one additional quote from the many that still, despite so many decades, inspires awe within me. It is one that I believe many here hold close to their hearts and that guides their own pens:

"And little he knew of what ink may do, how it can mark a dead man's thoughts for the wonder of later years, and tell of happenings that are gone clean away, and be a voice for us out of the dark of time, and save many a fragile thing from the pounding of heavy ages; or carry to us over the rolling centuries, even a song from lips long dead on forgotten hills." (p.131)

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob [/QB]

Be a good poster if a little long. Or wallpaper.
History
Member # 9213

A "little long", LD?
Suits me well then, don'tcha think? [Wink]
I think it is something I'd use in my blog design.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I'm reading a new one..decided to put off "The Iron Wyrm", it's not its time yet.

Now I'm reading "Poltergheist" Yes, that is no typo .

It's the sixth in a light hearted UF-romance series.

By Laura Resnick a very good writer. Love this series even with the romance element. The MC has no magic and is an innocent bystander--at least in the beginning.

I will say though that the continual problems between the MC and her love are grating on me but it's a small side issue-continual-not the whole thing.

Goodie, goodie I get read another one.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Pardon me if this is here some place I missed but for those who like epic fantasy with NO VAMPIRES try this one.

Blood Awakening

It does appear to have a romance element to it however.

On sale this weekend

History
Member # 9213

After reading and listening to all of Tolkien's published work, I journeyed back in time to the works that influenced him: First, the Northern European epics such as Beowulf, The Norse Edda, and the Nibelungenlied--saving the complete Finnish Kalevala for another time. Second, the few "modern" fantasists he enjoyed. Lord Dunsany was one (see my review of The King of Elfland's Daughter above).

Another was the multi-talented William Morris. Last year I read his fabulous The Well at the World's End (1896), the epitome of the epic fantasy "quest" wherein the protagonist sets forth for the eponymous well of the book's title seeking adventure, his destiny, and near immortality--and, of course, love. The book is now in the public domain (e.g. http://morrisedition.lib.uiowa.edu/wellworldsend.html )

However, the first of Morris' fantasy novels was The Wood Beyond the World(1894), considered the first modern fantasy concerning a completely imaginary world imbued with the supernatural, and thus the precursor of today's fantasy literature. This is the story of Golden Walter who in despair takes to sea to escape the humiliation (and interfamily strife) related to his cruel wife's unfaithfulness. He is disturbed by visions of a beautiful mistress, a similarly becoming servant girl, and a cruel dwarf, all of whom he meets in the eponymous "Wood" of the book's title when the ship is driven off course during the storm to an unknown island. It is a strange story of love, deceit, and magic. The prose is rich with vivid imagery, which is the story's strength, but the archaic language and lack of depth of the cliché characters made this a far less enjoyable tale than the more robust Well and, in my humble opinion, Morris pales in both language and wonder when compared to Dunsany.

Yet, seeing the evolutionary threads in the development of the modern fantasy story makes these books worth reading.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

P.S. By chance, while my computer was being serviced, I randomly chose a book from my library and came across a delightful story by Ursula K LeGuin entitled Coming of Age in Karhide (1995), which takes place in her world of Gethen, the setting of her award-winning novel The Left Hand of Darkness. A fascinating story concerning a species (esp. its androgynous society and culture) of human beings whose gender can change between male or female. Somewhat oddly, for a short story, the first 2000+ words are a prologue in which the protagonist states what follows is a recollection of her/his coming into kemmer (puberty/sexual awakening) for the first time. I'm not sure a less established writer would escape criticism for such an unnecessary framing of the key story. However, this tale demonstrates why Ms LeGuin's has deservedly earned praise for her world-building expertise and her skill in poignantly holding up a mirror to our social-gender-cultural failings.

tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been listening to "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", because I love driving places and I'm tired of listening to the same songs on the radio all the time.

I bet when I pick up the book, I'll be less confused because I'll actually see the page breaks. There's too much POV switching in audio. My head almost can't handle that, along with all the foreign names!

The story itself is interesting enough.

Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

As I continue my nostalgic re-reading of the great fantasy classics of yesteryear, I need also strongly recommend William Hope Hodgdon's masterpiece The Night Land and recommend its modern retelling by an underappreciated present day classic fantasy master, James Stoddard:

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Land-Story-Retold-ebook/dp/B004GKNM3W
$2.99 ebook

Buy it.

The Night Land (1912) is the story and quest of Andrew/Andros to rescue his beloved Mirdath/Naani. They are soulmates, eternal lovers separated by her tragic death in childbirth in the 19th century only to discover each other millions of years in the future when the sun has gone dark and the remnants of humanity have gathered in refuges, the mightiest being the Great Pyramid of the Last Redoubt where they are assailed by physical and cosmic horrors seeking to eradicate them, claiming not only their bodies but their souls. This is the time and place in which Andrew/Andros is reborn. Gifted with Night Hearing, he hears the call of his beloved from far across the Night Land, desperate and faint. She lives in a smaller redoubt far to the unknown and unmapped north. The Earth Current has failed them and evil is now battering at their walls. Against all wisdom, Andrew/Andros braves the Night Land alone, facing the ferocity of giants and night hounds, the soul-stealing presence of House of Silence and the Place where the Silent Ones Kill, and evil forces alien to human conception.

A truly masterful tale and wondrous terrifying world from the author who inspired all "Dying Earth" stories to follow, influencing writers from Lovecraft to Jack Vance. William Hope Hodgdon died at age 40 during an artillery barage in Ypres, France in 1918.

A great website for The Night Land, including a chronology/future history of Man, a gallery, maps, and short stories by various authors in this created world, can be found at http://www.thenightland.co.uk/nightmap.html

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

MattLeo
Member # 9331

quote:
As I continue my nostalgic re-reading of the great fantasy classics of yesteryear, I need also strongly recommend William Hope Hodgdon's masterpiece The Night Land and recommend its modern retelling by an underappreciated present day classic fantasy master, James Stoddard

I'm curious, why re-told? Is it an update for modern tastes?

The original, by the way, available on Gutenberg in multiple ebook formats.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

As I recall, The Night Land had a very dense almost eighteenth-century style and wordchoice, as well as substantial distance from the use of a narrator. Difficult going, probably even when it was first published. So a rewriting in Modern English might go over. (Probably it'll lose something in the translation.)
History
Member # 9213

I've now read both, and enjoyed both.
Then again, I read and studied Chaucer in its original middle English when an undergraduate. [Wink]

James, who is well-versed in Hodgdon's work, has done a masterful job of reconstructing this classic fantasy novel into modern English while retaining all the wonder of Hodgdon's characters and world.

Btw, I can't give enough praise to Stoddard's Compton award-winning The High House. One of my favorite fantasy novels in the last twenty years. http://www.amazon.com/The-High-House-James-Stoddard/dp/0739400479

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

KellyTharp
Member # 9997

- posted      Profile for KellyTharp   Email KellyTharp         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading the short bio of Groucho Marx's last few years by a guy who got to work as one of his secretaries. A facinating read as it's really a story about someone so talented growing old and dying, from a young man's view point. I like to learn about those who are good with humor as I to find adding humor to my characters brings them alive more. Groucho was a phenominal wit and even at 85 he could still nail someone with a one liner. Title: Raised Eyebrows, by Steve Stoliar. He's selling autographed copies (wish they were signed by Groucho, but unfortunately not). KT
Posts: 96 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Without a Summer, but Mary Robinette Kowal. So far, just as good as the first two in the series--which is saying something.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Been hearing a lot about that book-Summer.

Even though I haven't read it I'm not surprised it is as good as the first one, which I have read.

Have you checked out her new web site for the book and the drawing she is holding?

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.