Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » What I'm Reading Now Thread (Page 22)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22   
Author Topic: What I'm Reading Now Thread
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished the fourth book in Chuck Wendig's "Miriam Black" series. I started reading them earlier this month. 'Blackbirds', 'Mockingbird', 'Cormorant', and 'Thunderbird'. They grabbed me more than anything I've read in years, and I can tell you exactly why: Mr. Wendig is very good at giving his characters terrible, horrible problems and complicating their attempts to fix said problems.

The books aren't for everyone. Much like Wendig's blog, the novels are full of cursing and morbid humor and darkness and horror. I find them incredibly entertaining, though.

Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Metta
Member # 10744

- posted      Profile for Metta           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really interested in the book titled 'The House of Leaves'. Where can I get a copy of that to read please?
Metta

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Worldcat.org reports 32 editions published between 2000 and 2016 in 4 languages and held by 1,831 libraries worldwide of Mark Z. Danielewski's The House of Leaves, 2000. So a local library may offer the novel in circulation, or may get a patron a copy through interlibrary loan -- no joy on either front through the public or college libraries hereabouts. Amazon and Barnes & Noble sell the novel, new trade paperback $12.00~, as well as online client booksellers sell used copies. Also, local brick and mortar booksellers may order the novel prepaid for a patron.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my copy off Amazon. It's a pretty weird and twisted thing. I enjoyed it overall, although it's annoyingly slow in some places.

My favorite part was one of the appendices, but I'll not mention which because spoilers.

Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
John Truby - The anatomy of story.
Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep forgetting to come here and post but I am reading "The Way Of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson

and about to start "The Ghost Rebellion" by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Agatha Christie - Dead man's mirror

The copyeditor's handbook - no one ruin the ending [Smile]

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Still reading Way--it is a very long book and there are at least two more probably just as long.

Did finish Ghost though. Need to decide on which one next. "The Imposters of Aventil" or At the Sign of the Triumph Or one other I was thinking of.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

been reading the stories and books of Haruki Murakami which I have been adding to my library.

This Japanese author is good at the leave it unfinished endings, leave you with the question on how it ends, with only small clues.

I did that in my story called "copy", but instead of being recognized, it got red marked for seeming incomplete. I should have persisted with it. Haruki Murakami is highly recognized for his unconventional style and a top best selling author.

can't dust the story off either because it was unique during the time I wrote it, when bioscafolding was a brand new science. Now it's in ever scifi show on tv.

oh well,

but if you like modern with metaphysic twists and turns you should give this author a try.

W.

MerlionEmrys
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for MerlionEmrys   Email MerlionEmrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to read more of his stuff. I read "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" a couple years ago and enjoyed it. It was a big influence on one of my all-time favorite anime series, Haibane-Renmei.

I like East Asian storytelling in general.

It's popularity-and Murakami's success and regard in particular-are a great example of the fact that one need not fall into a particular mold or category to be successful (in any sense.)

Posts: 226 | Registered: Oct 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.