Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » What I'm Reading Now Thread (Page 7)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: What I'm Reading Now Thread
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Addendum to the above...I spoke rather harshly about the quality of the writing in Tommy Gun...but maybe I should've posted after I finished, 'cause the book has a brilliant couple of paragraphs at the end. (Page 314 of the hardcover---if it's out in paperback I haven't seen it.) One of those things that makes reading worthwhile.

Here's an extract:

In Greco-Roman mythology there are the gods who personify the forces of the natural world, but also the heroes and antiheroes, heroines and antiheroines, who personify the best or worst of human nature and human ability.

So it is when we touch the Thompson submachine gun.

To hold it and to shoot it is to be one with Al Capone, but also to be one with Audie Murphy. They are two sides of a coin, an antihero and a hero. Both are men from the mythology of the twentieth century who were once real, but who have long since become allegorical. To stand in their shoes, and to wrap your finger around the trigger of their gun, is to feel, for a moment, the extremes of human nature that they represent.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished Await Your Reply, by Dan Chaon. Liked it a lot. Highly recommended. It's marketed as a "literary thriller", which is kind of bad marketing, IMO. Those that don't normally read literary works are going to be sucker-punched if they think they're reading a "thriller". But the prose is spare, and the narrative barrels along, with those trying to guess the "twist" (there really isn't one) missing the point of the book, I think.
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finishing BEGUILEMENT, the first book in THE SHARING KNIFE series by Lois McMaster Bujold. Definitely RECOMMEND. I'm going out later this afternoon to get the rest of the books in the series.

I really have to figure out what it is about her books that just draws me in. I want to sit and read the whole thing in one sitting, which is very unusual for me. Her prose doesn't get in my way, but neither does it sing. Then again, that might get in the way of the story. Every once in a while she does one of those things I'm trying to teach myself not to do--said bookisms, averbs in the dialog tags, etc.

She's very good at banged up protagonists. All of the main characters in the stories I've read so far have been pretty well beaten up by life before the story ever starts in one way or another. The back story comes out gradually and where it's needed, or just before. And then she beats them up some more before letting them come through at the end.

There's always a strong element of romance.

Before that was SOULLESS by Gail Carriger. GOOD, mostly for the interaction of three very eccentric characters.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved THE SHARING KNIFE series and wish she'd write more.

I've heard that SOULLESS #2 has a cliff-hanger and that #3 won't be out till September, so I think I'll wait on them.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Dropped in a little early to mention a book I read. Robert Conroy's 1901, an alternate-history of a German invasion of the United States in, of course, 1901. I'd read it before; my copy turned up when I moved some books and I gave it another read-through.

I liked it, liked it a lot...but there's one thing I didn't like, and I see it in a lot of alternate-history books. The writers take events from the future, or the people who will participate in them---events that in the present-of-the-narrative, have not, will not, and will never happen---just to say either "See how smart I am!" or "This'll get a rise out of the reader!" Characters who we know did things are killed off or injured...at one point towards the end of 1901, characters give a name to their future that has a sinister connotation in our past...all just to provoke a "Hmm!" moment. Cheeses me off.

I concede that the younger selves of the people of real-history would be present in the alternate-history as presented---but I don't see why a mention has to be what essentially amounts to a joke on the reader. Wouldn't it be better just to create some fictional characters and then kill them off?

(Also, I concede a lot of references I get might go over the heads of some, maybe most, readers. I may be cursed by knowing too much...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
A few days ago I finished, 'Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World' by Jack Weatherford in audiobook format. It was very good. I'm not usually much of a history fan but the author did a good job of keeping this interesting and moving along. There were only two times where I started to glaze over on the family political working of who did what to whom and it all became a jumble of names. But those bits didn't last long. I got a whole new look at world development and wondered why our history classes are so bad that Genghis Khan was never even mentioned though he did so much that affect us today.

I am now reading, "Wild Seed" by Octavia E. Butler. It's fantastic and has me really intrigued to find out what's going to happen.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading Brethren by Robyn Young. One of the newer Historical Fiction authors, and writes in the tradition of Bernard Cornwell and Conn Iggulden, but with shorter chapters. I'm liking it so far....

I've also been reading Stephen King's The Stand: Uncut, and can definitely see why it was cut. The more I read it, the more I find I'm wading through thick prose for little bits of payoff. I'm not very impressed.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 29, 2010).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: The Stand. My old, battered paperback copy has a mention of Howard the Duck. It bothers me for some reason that the later editions, and the Uncut edition, I believe, have deleted Howard. I think the mention is replaced by Superman.

Anyway...yes, there WAS a reason why The Stand was cut as extensively as it was. I'm with you, IB.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

- posted      Profile for TrishaH24   Email TrishaH24         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny that you guys mentioned The Stand. I just finished The Lovely Bones (FANTASTIC, by the way--my only disappointment came from the way it ended, though it was still a beautiful, heartwarming end. Just not what I was expecting. Sort of the way Memoires of a Geisha didn't end the way I expected: good, but I felt just a little let down.) Anyway, I was digging through my books looking for On a Pale Horse (and couldn't find it) when I came across my 12th grade copy of The Stand. (It's got names of boys I thought I was in love with scribbled all over the back pages. Made me laugh.) Believe it or not, we read this in school. Crazy, huh? I really enjoyed it, and since I love to get lost in thousands of pages and intricately woven plot, I have decided to re-read it. I'm curious to see if I feel the same about it now as I did 7 years ago.

[This message has been edited by TrishaH24 (edited April 29, 2010).]

Posts: 184 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Genevive, good to see your recommendation. Jack Weatherford's book has been on my shopping list for a while now; I really should get around to picking it up.

Since last updating here I've read James Patterson's Along Came a Spider, and Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.

Patterson's book was pretty good; while it didn't truly blow me away it certainly had more depth than I expected. Shortly after I finished it I watched the film, to find I was really disappointed: What a horrible film adaptation!! Good

I loved the first book of Pullman's trilogy (Northern Lights / The Golden Compass depending on edition). The worldbuilding was enjoyable, the world's problems thought provoking, and the characters fun. I'd happily label it Recommended.

Only then I got to books two and three, and felt I'd had the old bait-and-switch pulled on me. First the world I'd come to love in the first book was taken away to become essentially irrelevant. Then the characters decide to deal with the story problem (The Magesterium is corrupt and evil!) in a way that seemed completely illogical (Let's kill the guys they work for!). While there was still a lot of imagination in the second two books (The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass) they just seemed a platform for authorial dogma rather than subtle rhetoric, and as a result - for me at least - a very tedious read. So while I loved the first book I sadly found these, well, Bad.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Back as promised...what have I been reading? Well, here's a few titles...

Citizens of London: The Americans Who Stood With Britain In Its Darkest, Finest Hour, Lynne Olsen. The first chapter made me think it was going to be another dry history...but it soon picked up and I went through it in a couple of sittings.

The Age of Reagan: The Conservative Counterrevolution, 1980-1989, Steven F. Hayward. I found this interesting---lately, I've found a lot of works about the period interesting, in a "fill in the blanks" sense that I knew some of what was going on, but not everything. I'd recommend this to everybody, irregardless of political orientation...but, I've got to say, it doesn't cover "everything" that went on in the Reagan presidency, either...the Challenger disaster, for instance, doesn't get a mention, near as I can tell. (Word of warning: there's at least one other "The Age of Reagan" book out there, maybe more...check the writer's name beforehand.)

I just started reading The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How It Changed America, by David Hajdu. It turned up in my pile when I was looking for another book. Two chapters in, and I'm impressed by the number of names I'm familiar with from other things---any well-versed SF reader would know a lot of these guys, and comics fans should know nearly all of 'em.

SF? Well, the aforementioned 1901, by Robert Conroy...some more Heinlein...anything new? Nothing struck my fancy this month...

Anyway, I'll be going away in a week, and I do a bunch of reading while I'm gone. There's another account of Custer's Last Stand coming out Tuesday, and there are always goodies around, old and new...

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read Tuck Everlasting last night. I read the whole thing in about two hours and stayed up past my bedtime. So the storyline was compelling enough to keep me reading, still I'm not sure I would give this book a recommend. It was pretty and likable. I say pretty because there was about equal time spent on describing the scenery as the plot. By about midway I started skimming the paragraphs that talked about how the frogs croaked or the morning light played on the leaves. But the characters were likable and the plot was interesting.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Weatherford also wrote INDIAN GIVERS about how much Native Americans and their world changed the rest of the world once they were encountered.

I thought it was a very interesting book, so I'll have to find the one about Genghis Khan.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Just finishing the last (fourth) book of THE SHARING KNIFE series by Lois McMaster Bujold.

RECOMMEND, definitely.

Great characters and a really good story. She writes protagonists who are damaged at the beginning of the story (and then get beat up some more) really well.

One of the things that strikes me most about this series is the world-building. Let's face it: an awful lot of fantasy is set in something approximating the middle ages, at least in technology. Even Bujold's CHALION books, which have a thoroughly imagined and distinct world, still exist in a very medieval feudal system.

THE SHARING KNIFE exists in a world recognizably based on the pioneer Midwest at about the time farmers were first breaking ground along the Mississippi, Misouri, and Ohio rivers. There's a lot about this world that is her own, of course. But the similarity is unmistakable. One side character is even based on Davey Crockett, according to the author's notes. Very interesting.

I hope, like her Miles Vorkosigan series, that she decides to revisit these characters some time.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited May 28, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished 'Wild Seed' and was blown away. It is an incredible book. I would recommend it to anyone.

I've been riding the motorcycle the last couple of days so the audio books are on hold. Not sure what I'll read next.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

I'm starting Hart's Hope by OSC. Right off the bat I'm not sure I'm liking it but not in a way that will keep me from finishing it. I am curious to see how it plays out.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

It's a challenging book, genevive42. Good luck with it.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, Hart's Hope was rough in the beginning, but it got better. I couldn't tell it was supposed to be an alien world, and I thought the magic system could've been explored much more, but I did like it...fundamentally.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Do I dare to post 'Hart's Hope' for discussion when I'm finished? It seems like it might be a good topic.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Rather than list the best of the books I've read in my recent travels in its own post, I'll just put them here. (Nobody responds when I put them up separately, anyway.)

The Age of Reagan: The Fall of the Old Liberal Order 1964 - 1980, Steven F. Hayward. This is Volume One of the Volume Two I listed above...something I didn't know until I read that one. (Also I bought it and took it with me...I had started it but was only a couple chapters in when I set out.)

Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition, Daniel Okrent. A much-neglected period of American history, at least as far as the politics of it goes. This answered a lot of questions.

The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn, Nathaniel Philbrick. Mentioned above, too. This tells me only a little I didn't know...but it's another perspective on things, and, besides, Philbrick has written several other compelling histories. Worth the effort. (Another one bought before I left.)

With the Old Breed, E. B. Sledge. This was probably the most compelling of the books I read...I picked it up on reading of it in another book by Victor Davis Hanson (who writes an introduction in this paperback edition). It's a first-hand account of one soldier's experience in the fighting on Peleliu and Okinawa (if any of you are Americans and don't know what they are, go right now and look them up). And if you have any illusions about how easy soldiering and fighting is, this will blow them away.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Just finished Fallen Angels by Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle and Michael Flynn. Currently reading 8th confession by Patterson.

Before that read the Koontz Frankenstein Series and Quanta, a book on Quantum Theory.

Waiting in the wings Blasphemy and The Pacific.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

I just finished Sarah Ash's Tracing the Shadow.
I almost quit reading it three different times until I just decided to only read the POV character I liked. There were three but I only cared about one. I ended up going back and reading the other sections later so I would understand the plot better. I liked the book all right but not enough to read the second or third one.

Edited to fix the title

[This message has been edited by satate (edited June 06, 2010).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I did that with a book recently, too, satate. I got so irritated at the jumping back and forth between characters that I just picked one and followed through on that character and then went back and read the other parts afterwards.

Grrr!

Meredith
Member # 8368

Well, I'm attempting to read some Sherrilyn Kenyon, BAD MOON RISING, because I thought I should find out what other werewolf stories are out there while I'm trying to find someone interested in BLOOD WILL TELL.

Yech. I'm still not sure if I can finish it. The idea of werewolves as a biker gang is kind of interesting, but there area so many things that bother me.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited May 23, 2010).]

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading William Gibson's Neuromancer, and I swear even at 150+ pages in (of 460 or so on my Nook) I have only the vaguest idea of what's going on. Interesting story, but very difficult to slog through. I'm looking forward to something light and fluffy and QUICK after this.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Meredith, give Patricia Briggs' stuff a try. Her Mercy Thompson series is about a were-coyote who is involved with a werewolf pack, and there are separate books about one of the werewolves as well.

I haven't read any Sherrilyn Kenyon stuff, so I don't know how they compare, but I was able to finish the first Mercy Thompson book and I'm very interested in reading more.

Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Meredith, give Patricia Briggs' stuff a try. Her Mercy Thompson series is about a were-coyote who is involved with a werewolf pack, and there are separate books about one of the werewolves as well.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

I hate to say it, but my impression of this book is just sloppy. Maybe that's the genre. I think this is classed as paranormal romance and I haven't read a lot in that genre. She obviously has other books in the series and a lot of world building, but she didn't have to throw it all against the wall in the first 50 pages. There's stuff I just don't care about yet and some stuff I'm not sure will ever matter in this book. Not to mention misused words, using the wrong name for a (major) character in one scene, info dumps about the backgrounds of minor characters. Oh, and confusion about the rules of her own world. (At first it's well, if we mix species (werewolves and werebears) there won't be any kids. Then it's we can't dilute the bloodlines. Pick one, but they can't both be true.)

She actually has interesting characters and has put them in a somewhat interesting situation. The rest is just driving me nuts and I think I'm about to quit and find something else.

I'll look for Patricia Briggs next time I'm out.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited May 28, 2010).]

CraigMc
Member # 9104

- posted      Profile for CraigMc   Email CraigMc         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Patricia Briggs fan. I'd also recommend the Mercy Thompson series.

I'm also a big fan of Bujold's writing. Bujold draws me in with her writing more then her story lines or plot.

Currenlty I've got 3 books I'm trying to get into.

1. The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett
2. Hunting Grounds by Patricia Briggs
3. False Memory by Dean Koontz

I keep revisiting the first chapter of these books..it's weird

Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraigMc
Member # 9104

- posted      Profile for CraigMc   Email CraigMc         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really have to figure out what it is about her books that just draws me in. I want to sit and read the whole thing in one sitting, which is very unusual for me. Her prose doesn't get in my way, but neither does it sing. Then again, that might get in the way of the story. Every once in a while she does one of those things I'm trying to teach myself not to do--said bookisms, averbs in the dialog tags, etc.

I agree 100%

I can't put my finger on why I like it but I know I do.

Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
The Runes of Earth by Stephen R. Donaldson

Bio Of A Space Tyrant: Refugee by Piers Anthony Dillingham Jacob

The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton...I tried this once and wasnt interested. I heard someone here raving about PFH and decided to give this another shot. Not reading yet but it has moved from my Sci-Fi shelf to my nightstand.

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Wow, Meredith, that sounds like sloppy copyediting (or none at all, for that matter) along with sloppy writing.

I continue to be amazed at how little editing seems to be done in some cases.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

On sloppy-yet-published works...I forget whether I mentioned it here, but I picked up this one book a couple of years ago, a "popular" book yet with a fantasy-ish theme, about a mermaid and mer-civilization...it drove me nuts in the way it was written, from the intro where the writer explained how she intended to write a different book and wrote this, to the poor dialog and sketchy background backfill, down to its being a sequel without ever saying anywhere on the cover. I forget the name...
posulliv
Member # 8147

- posted      Profile for posulliv   Email posulliv         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished reading a number of Flann O'Brien's works.

_At Swim Two Birds_, hilarious, but doesn't fit the format of a novel, doesn't have a satisfying ending. Reputed to be the first post-modernist novel, not sure what that means, but worth a read if you like language and absurdity better than a story.

_The Poor Mouth_, English translation, a send-up of the early twentieth century 'folk' stories written in Irish by authors like Peig Sayers, Tomás Ó Criomhthain,
Muiris Ó Súilleabháin, etc. Hilarious if you've read the originals, may not be if you haven't, but the translator captures the rich absurdity of the original Irish text.

_The Third Policeman_, the best of the three in terms of story, rich language, absurd ideas, it could be science fiction if it weren't literary fiction, not a really satisfying ending, but of the three the most like a conventional novel.

[This message has been edited by posulliv (edited May 25, 2010).]

Posts: 389 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
posulliv
Member # 8147

- posted      Profile for posulliv   Email posulliv         Edit/Delete Post 
Also finished _The Hunger Games_ by Suzanne Collins, a great first person present tense story right up until the unsatisfying ending that is less an ending than a setup for the next book in the series. Marketed as YA, really opened my eyes to the scope of YA fiction. Not sure I'll read the next in the series, but I was hooked by the end of the first paragraph and if it had ended right one of the ten best books I've read this decade.
Posts: 389 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished Geosynchron by David Louis Edelman. It is the last book of his Jump 225 trilogy. I discovered the books by accident and they have been the best finds I've had in awhile. The books are cyberpunk and fast. They have a good character arc and I'd recommend it highly.
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
KayTi, you probably won't ever really understand Neuromancer. I know I never did. I still really liked it, though. William Gibson's strength is not his storytelling, though, as much as his brilliant use of language, his interesting ideas about technology (even though they're cliches now, I think they were pretty out there when Gibson invented them in Neuromancer), and his sharp observations about society.

The opening line of Neuromancer is one of my all time favorites. "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." Very evocative to me.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:

Thanks for the recommendation. Two chapters in and I can already tell it's a winner.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

YES!
genevive42
Member # 8714

I'm onto The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It is really fantastic. He has a marvelous way of using ordinary words.
mr. riggles
Member # 9101

- posted      Profile for mr. riggles   Email mr. riggles         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently reading: The Hotel New Hampshire, By John Irving. So far, it is very entertaining...John Irving is the master of the good old "coming of age" tale...RECOMMENDED - Also read The World According to Garp (Irving as well) many years ago and have found myself reading it over and over again.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman was intriguing, but very slow and boring at times. He should stick to comic books (oops, sorry - GRAPHIC NOVELS). Gaiman's writing is dull, which hampers his overzealous plot. I would not recommend this book, unless it is the only book you have with you on a desert island.

And of course, OSC's Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide are must reads. Children of the Mind; I could go either way. I would not read it again. Ender's Shadow and the Bean series is pretty good, but too much military tactics drag them down from being overly compelling reads. My thumbs are sideways, pointing at one another.

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Nearly neglected to put up my usual first-of-the-month books...I covered some right after my vacation, but I've got others...

Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory, Ben Macintyre. Picked up and read while on vacation, but somehow I forgot to mention it last time around. A very interesting story---some of you may have seen a movie, "The Man Who Never Was," from the 1950s, covering this story...it's a true story, and this book fills in lots of details of that story, and also corrects some deliberate misstatements made for security reasons at the time. Besides that, it's a terrific read.

Three Chords for Beauty's Sake: The Life of Artie Shaw, Tom Nolan. Picked up after vacation. An interesting biography of a "freethinking iconoclast" (how Shaw is described on the jacket flap at one point). Well worth the time (and money). If you don't know who Artie Shaw was, look him up---especially his music.

In the Land of Invented Languages: Adventures in Linguistic Creativity, Madness, and Genius, Arika Okrent. Picked up on vacation, reading now (three-quarters finished). Mentioned by me elsewhere in Grist for the Mill. For anyone who sets out to invent a language for a story, or just for the hell of it...

Appetite for America: How Visionary Businessman Fred Harvey Built a Railroad Hospitality Empire That Civilized the Wild West, Stephen Fried. Bought before vacation, started now (one quarter finished.) An interesting history (not biography) of America's first restaurant chain, with lots of stops for interesting detail about life in these United States along the way.

Any SF read this month? Well, last month I reread a book by Robert Conroy...while on vacation I picked up two more and read them when I got back. Alternate Histories, both: 1945 (the Japanese renege on their surrender after VJ Day), and also Red Inferno: 1945 (the Russians attack the Americans as both sides enter defeated Germany). I gotta say I'm not overly fond of Alternate History---if the other choice was so damned compelling, surely they would have made that choice, and not the one they did---but these have as many interesting tidbits as a normal history book.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I can add now that I finished the ones above that I didn't...comes from being awake when I should have been asleep and sick when I should have been well. They remain mostly good, though in Appetite for America I have some issues with the writer's discussion of the Manhattan Project...
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in a rut. Seems I have a number of unread books that I havent been able to get past the first chapter on.

Runes of Earth by Stephen R. Donaldson
The Memory of Earth by OSC
Bio of a Space Tyrant: Refugee by Piers Anthony
The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton

Uggh

Maybe I will try Nerilka's Story by Anne McCaffrey

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished Blasphemy, by Douglas Preston, and wondering if anyone else has read it. Very interesting take on Science and Religion.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

I finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It was great. The ending, while a shade sad, was very satisfying. Major thumbs up.

I also read Animal Farm by George Orwell. Somehow I missed it while I was in school. I know what he was doing and the political statements he was making, but it irritated me. I really wanted for them to be frying up some bacon for a Sunday celebration. This book actually put me in a bad mood for the evening.

I also read the short story A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman. It was free on audible.com. Another good story from him. An interesting take on Baker Street detectives.

satate
Member # 8082

I just finished book 2 and 3 of the Alcatraz versus the Librarians seriers. These were called, Alcatraz versus the Scrivenor Bone and Alcatraz versus the Knights of Crystalia.
I liked them both alot and I'm kind of sad now that they are done. The tone is very silly and irrevent and I like the jokes he makes about writing thought I wonder if his target audience (9-13 year olds) would get it. I really enjoyed them and I'll read book four and five when they get out.

Meredith
Member # 8368

Recently finished MOON CALLED by Patricia Briggs. A very fun read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I expect I'll be looking for more in the series the next time I hit the bookstore. (Backlog pile is pretty high right now, though.)

Finishing DEAD AND GONE by Charlaine Harris. I will never be a Sookie Stackhouse fan.

It's interesting that both books had many of the same elements. Both are mysteries, of a sort. Both have vampires, werewolves, and even Fae. In Patricia Briggs world, they all seemed to fit. In Charlaine Harris' world, I believed the vampires and the werewolves, but the Fae felt sort of tacked on. I had other issues with her world building, too. Things just didn't always seem to fit.

I think my main problem with Harris' book, though, is that it just feels like it wanders around aimlessly without much direction. And, looking at it, I think it's at least partly because she didn't deliver the story she promised.

She started out with the weres "coming out". Okay, I can see that causing some conflict and driving a story. Next, one character's mother gets shot because she reveals to her husband that she's a were. Looks like that's the story we're going to get. Then another character, who happens to be a werepanther, gets killed rather gruesomely. Alright, I'm sold. That's what this story is about. Then we take a hard left turn into a war between the Fae which for some reason seems to revolve around Sookie. Why is never adequately explained. Not a very satisfying story and I won't be reading any more of hers.

Next up, something without either vampires or werewolves for a change.

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Finished Neuromancer by Gibson and it was very interesting, but I hesitate to recommend unless you're a true sci-fi buff. I think it would be off-putting to the casual sci-fi enthusiast. It's hard-core sci-fi, and old-school, from the 80s I think? For me it's an interesting read because of the things he foretold. I love reading old sci-fi and seeing how many predictions the authors had came true (and laughing about the ones that didn't...like I forget which author who had the vision of teletype machines in every house spitting out the news on a tape wheel...) If for no other reason, Neuromancer is worth reading to understand what it's like when the author REALLY knows his world and has a lot of details to share with the reader, even if the reader has no frame of reference on which to hang all these crazy details and ideas.

I'm now reading DUST by Elizabeth Bear, and it's great. Recommend! It's a sci-fi story about a generation ship that's gone haywire. The first few chapters you think you're reading a fantasy book, with some odd drop-ins about nanotech and things. Before long you realize it's a set of scenes/environments all on one enormous ship that has evolved beyond its original intentions. Very very interesting.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

I'm reading The Martian Child by David Gerrold. It is not SF, but a true story of his adoption of a troubled child. Without being sappy, it is very moving.
MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read 'The Moon a a Harsh Mistress' - Robert A. Heinlein
- very good classic

'The Sword of Truth' series - Terry Goodkind
- Recommended; very good story line, a bit long winded at times but worth it

'Fablehaven' series - Brandon Mull
- Good YA story

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.