Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Bookend challenge entries (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bookend challenge entries
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done all, and thanks to Snapper for organising this.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless they both editors with the breakfast line had different stories or was that the point?

I may go back and find one more line to do a story to. That would make five. A nice set to do an E-book with even though it would probably be only 6,000 to 8,000 words long.

And Brendan I do have four or five stories that each have the same set up and plot. The challenge was to make them each different enough not to be the same story.

And I saved each crit to use as I go over the story again. May not take long, compared to other stories. But I think it needs a better title this one I just grabbed out of thin air because I needed one fast.

And My Thanks to Snapper also. A lot of work there.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
A gaggle of Congo rats to the weener.

And thanks again to Snapps for running this.

Looking forward to the WotF challenge. The winners for Q4 were just announced today, so I've got to brush up on my super hero lore if I'm to make round two again this year.

Or at least study up on my competition a little more. I couldn't guess my way into the ocean from the beach.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much received the same critique for mine...

quote:
I don’t think the last line really works in that story.
No fair! I didn't write that line! I would have won without it! Who made that stupid rule for this challenge anyway?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeetahWest
Member # 9402

- posted      Profile for LeetahWest   Email LeetahWest         Edit/Delete Post 
I would actually be really interested to get a full critique on my story. Have someone pick it to pieces and be very specific with me. If anyone would be willing to do that I would really appreciate it. I am planning on expanding this story quite a bit (around 8k-10k)and would like to know what is interesting in the story and what isn't. What you want to know more about, etc. Send me an email if you are interested. I would be willing to do the same (even on a different story).
Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Leetah, I would say your piece needs lots of words. Clarity I believe was the biggest issue with it.

I suggest you write the expanded version than ask again.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, today I was thinking of my dragon line story... that I will be doing... and it hit me that could be an opening for a Pern novel. And it would be real easy to write a Pern short story with that line. But I will do what I already planned.

Speaking of planning the same thought session reminded me that my story for this challenge wasn't my first thought. I did this one because I thought it would be easier to write than my original idea. But I could still do that one. It deals with someone who is the last person on Earth but haven't quite figured out everything yet.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just seen that Face Set Like Flint (aka Face of Faith) got an HM in the WOTF, so here's proof (and thanks) to this challenge for inspiring the story. And thanks to shimi and axe for creating the bookend lines (though I did change the last line a little). I did add a couple of scenes to it, based on the above feedback, but it was still only 2300 words long. So I am pretty chuffed that such a short story got into the list.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, Brendan!
I'm always stoked to hear a story that short can receive recognition.

At 2300, there seems a lot of markets to send it to. Like Shimmer, perhaps?

I don't believe I came up with any of the prompts for this one...

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Axe. Shimmer looks like in interesting market.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.