Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » 2012 WotF trigger challenge (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2012 WotF trigger challenge
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone said they may try to guess which one is my story. I've already given a couple of hints on how to figure that out. [Smile]

And I have sent in my crits and votes which means it's time for me to wait even though I won't have to wait to see where mine lands.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only read a couple so far. I'll probably take until the end of the week. I'm a bit busy at the moment, work and home.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strycher
Member # 9821

- posted      Profile for Strycher   Email Strycher         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm likewise contributing to the hold up. The worst part is that I was all free-time and rainbows until Snapper sent out the stories. Now they've decided I actually have work to do at my job! Madness!
Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I took the Meyers-Briggs test and am an INTJ.

That means I'm an intuitive and leave a lot of description on the table. Well, I do.

Unfortunately, my main characters tend to be INTJ types and that's not good. introverted, may be aloof, etc. etc. They aren't easy to identify with.

Check your personality type and see if your MCs match yours.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Just waiting on one last person. The other comments I received will have to wait until I get to Phoenix (late tomorrow) before I can post them.

The new writers are doing well this time around, which led me to believe we were sand bagged. The newest Daily SF tale showed me that my suspicions were correct.

If you get DSF daily emails, check out Strycher's story. Hot off the presses.

Congrats, Krystal.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I noticed that - she advertised it on her home page. Well done Krystal.

If you think they are branch stacking, I could do a Steven Levi (Freakonomics) and create some analysis algorithms to catch them red handed. I mean, look at what is at stake. [Smile]

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strycher
Member # 9821

quote:
Originally posted by snapper:
Just waiting on one last person. The other comments I received will have to wait until I get to Phoenix (late tomorrow) before I can post them.

The new writers are doing well this time around, which led me to believe we were sand bagged. The newest Daily SF tale showed me that my suspicions were correct.

If you get DSF daily emails, check out Strycher's story. Hot off the presses.

Congrats, Krystal.

[Big Grin] Thanks so much! It's my first publication and I am soooooooooo excited!

And, uh, incidentally for everyone's information--I'm not the last person. Voting was tough though, there were some really good stories in there.

quote:
Originally posted by Brendan:
Yes I noticed that - she advertised it on her home page. Well done Krystal.

If you think they are branch stacking, I could do a Steven Levi (Freakonomics) and create some analysis algorithms to catch them red handed. I mean, look at what is at stake. [Smile]

Thank yo--What is branch stacking? Wikipedia Time!
Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

Just read it Krystal. Lovely story. Had me feeling for both characters.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Cue Glenn Campbell for Snapper.

I'm the last one out, I was gone for the weekend and out of computer range, so I'm trying to catch up. By the time Snapper gets to phoenix he'll have my votes.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estee
Member # 9824

- posted      Profile for Estee   Email Estee         Edit/Delete Post 
As one of the newbies, I have to say this has been an awesome experience. The feedback has been spot on and the other stories are absolutely fabulous. Thanks for this fun opportunity.
Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Estee. So much excellent feedback and the stories are lots of fun. I've really enjoyed participating.
Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strycher
Member # 9821

quote:
Originally posted by pdblake:
Just read it Krystal. Lovely story. Had me feeling for both characters.

Thank you!

On the topic of being new to the trigger challenge: I've also had a good time. It generated peer pressure for me to actually finish a story and turn in my critiques on time.

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone want to take bets on how crunched I'm going to get this year?

Snapps was kind enough to let me know I did get one vote.

Much <3 to that person.

Usually Snapps gives us the list of participants and we flail around for a few days while the judges judge. But with so many new folks, guessing would be even more futile than the last time I got all 15 wrong.

Hopefully we get to do that again this year.

I'll have a reason to come back to this thread after my thorough drubbing. [Smile]

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
Axe, I didn't know you snuck into the contest! And after all those denials earlier. [Smile]

Now I'm going to have to rethink who did what, too.
So far Snapps says I'm wrong on every count of 'guess who's in first,' so I won't hold my breath on my getting 'who wrote what' right, either.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strycher
Member # 9821

quote:
Originally posted by axeminister:

Snapps was kind enough to let me know I did get one vote.

Much <3 to that person.

Now I'm wondering which story was yours . . . And if I'm the one who voted for it.
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
You're in this one Roxy?
Well damn, I would forfeit if I wasn't already getting crushed.

When the submit date was the 13th I knew I couldn't make it, but then Frank bumped it up and I had time. I let my denials lie just in case anyone was paying attention.

Which means you get a <3 too. [Smile]

Now the question is, do you have two hearts from me, or just one?

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

"Now the question is, do you have two hearts from me, or just one?"

Tell me which story is yours and I'll let you know. * wink wink *

Actually, I might have an idea... And I do think crushed is a little strong language, there, friend. The field is really good this year (course, that's true every year). I can't think of one story where I didn't find something to enjoy.

Good times, good times.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
You? Crushed? Not likely. [Smile] But still I am dying to see who some of the writers belong to certain stories. (Or is that the other way around?)

So you got yours in late Axe? Now I can't peg you to a story anymore - I had you linked to one of the middle ones. Ah, now to reorder my list.

Strycher - Branch stacking is in wiki (almost surprised me given it is probably a colloquialism). But it is good to have some new challengers on board - it means axe, snapper and history and roxyl (past finalists in this annual challenge) will be forced to lift their game (and the rest of us thought we were just getting within striking distance of them).

Roxyl - I too think the standard is high this year - increasing the level at both ends of the scale. That's why I love this challenge.

[ June 01, 2012, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: Brendan ]

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strycher
Member # 9821

quote:
Originally posted by RoxyL:
"Now the question is, do you have two hearts from me, or just one?"

Tell me which story is yours and I'll let you know. * wink wink *

If we've all voted, can't we fess up to who wrote what?
pdblake
Member # 9218

Isn't there still one to go? Beside's it's more fun to guess [Big Grin]

So, can we start guessing?

Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm...I see a lot of uses of the words "of", "the" and "a" in the first 13s alone. My lawyers are salivating.
Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

Nick, LOL

Strycher, oh no, fessing up is never in the cards here. You must play the game to the bitter end. When Snapper declares the finalists, then he usually gives a list of the participants and we spend several hilarious days trying to outguess each other on who did what.

Axe is right, though, with so many new entrants (who haven't even posted anything on the fragements and feedback sections - yes some of us check), it'll be even harder to match everyone up.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Well I sent my input to Snapper last night, so he will have it by the time he gets to Phoenix.

If Axe's entry is the one I think it was there is a pretty good inside joke to be had.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

Strycher,

We have two more rounds to go. No fessing!

We can guess, but invariably something slips, and as you can see, one of the judges has his eye on this thread. [Eek!]

Axe

Strycher
Member # 9821

quote:
as you can see, one of the judges has his eye on this thread. [Eek!]

Axe

Yeah, I did notice that.

I'd like to partake in the guessing, but I'm new, so I'm not familiar with everyone's work. Though I think I must know some people who are also on the WotF forum but have used different user names.

I might try to skim the fragments and feedback section.

axeminister
Member # 8991

No worries.
I am familiar with people's work and I went 0-15 on my last guessing round.
I was so sure on some of them too... Grr.

Axe

axeminister
Member # 8991

Brendan Wrote:
quote:
So you got yours in late Axe?
Well, I'm not saying that. The extended deadline gave me the confidence that I could finish on time.

I write pretty quickly, so... you'll just have to keep guessing. [Razz]

I'll give you a hint. I'm not story #1.

Axe

snapper
Member # 7299

Hey! Hey! No guessing yet! We have to finish this last bit of voting first! We want to make sure the best wins so a little bit of whittling needs to take place.

Everyone should have received an attachment with two stories. A bit of history with them....

One of the entries should feel lucky it has a second chance. So distant was it from 2nd it has a different zip code. The other though is an angry entry, first place until the last vote then shoved to third.

Once I get this round done and send all the entries to the astute and brilliant judges (Nick requires me to call him that), I will post who all the authors were.

If anyone wants to know how they did (and is willing to endure a possibilty of a heartbreak), email and I will tell you how your colleagues voted on your entry, after you voted in the runoff.

Thanks to everyone.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really amazed at the huge amount of variation in the stories. It's my first time seeing what a whole group of people come up with all based off of the same trigger and it's so cool to see so many different takes on it.
Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

quote:
I am familiar with people's work and I went 0-15 on my last guessing round.
Axe

I purposely left out the farting trolls just to decieve you Axe:)

Can we start quessing yet? I'm pretty sure I know which is Krystal's based on the style of her DSF story. Unfortunately the only other one I'm sure of is mine. [Smile]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rabirch:
I'm really amazed at the huge amount of variation in the stories. It's my first time seeing what a whole group of people come up with all based off of the same trigger and it's so cool to see so many different takes on it.

But this is exactly why ideas can't be copyrighted. Everyone is going to do something different with the same idea, and I love that we are able to demonstrate this so clearly here on Hatrack.

Thanks, snapper!

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
send all the entries to the astute and brilliant judges (Nick requires me to call him that),
Nick requires you to call him judges ???

Is that some type of a royal We type of title?

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

Read it again LD he's called 'that', as in 'really long unpronouncable word', how do you spell that?

Oh, just realised that I think I also know which story was written by Dr Bob, and it was a good one.

History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Shabbat shalom, PDB.
Nu?
You have to be a real shmenderick not to recognize which bubbemeiser is mine. [Wink]

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strycher
Member # 9821

quote:
Originally posted by pdblake:
I'm pretty sure I know which is Krystal's based on the style of her DSF story. Unfortunately the only other one I'm sure of is mine. [Smile]

DoooooDitDooooo >.>
pdblake
Member # 9218

Dr Bob, I'm drinking home made elderflower champagne, a sacred lingual empowering cordial in my neck of the woods, and I understood every word of that. But we'll keep it just between you and me. [Eek!]

Krystal you'll soon discover that at this time of night (this side of the pond anyway) that I am the local home brewer and know absolutely everything (after several glasses of said brew anyway). My logic is without flaw, if not reason [Big Grin]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Read it again LD he's called 'that', as in 'really long unpronouncable word', how do you spell that?
Rats, your right.

Should have seen that.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
I understood every word of that.
How many words does "that" have?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I was wondering when we will get to guess, even though I don't usually.

I only know one...the only one better than mine. [Smile]

Yeah right. More than likely most of them could fit that description.

snapper
Member # 7299

I know you want to start the guessing game but I would like to send out the finalist to the judges first. I'd like to minimize the risk of amenity, anomaly, animally...

oh, you know what I'm trying to say.

Also, I am working on a prize for this guessing game that will make last years 'petting Kathleen-Dalton Woodbury's cat' seem like a joke.

Strycher
Member # 9821

quote:
Originally posted by snapper:
Also, I am working on a prize for this guessing game that will make last years 'petting Kathleen-Dalton Woodbury's cat' seem like a joke.

So . . . That's not a joke? [Confused]
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Which reminds me I never did get to pet her cat.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I hereby declare that it was a joke.

And for those of you who remember Mamie Yoakum, you will know what I mean when I say, "I has spoken!"

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Or was it Mammy Yoakum? (It was all before my time, so I'm not certain.) [Wink]
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Mammy Yokum. "Ah has spoken!"
Ah, I remember Al Capp's L'il Abner.

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

I could degenerate this thread even further, but I've chosen the high road.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.