Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » First Chapter Challenge (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: First Chapter Challenge
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
rcmann -- I'll critique your MS anyway if you want. Do what you have to, and the critique will be waiting for you when you're ready to look at it.
Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
rcmann, take care of what you need to do now. There's no rush. I've allowed a whole month for this first phase. If you need all of that, fine by me. Even if you need more time.

The main thing isn't meeting any deadline. It's helping each other make our work better.

If you want to rejoin later, the door's open.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts and prayers to you rcmann, I don't blame you for not wanting to do anything about writing right now.

An update:

Seems like I miscounted I only had three stories received. One, the first one received, I've sent back with a few comments.

I've received one crit.

I'm waiting to decide how to vote until I read all I'm suppose to get.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxanneCrouse
Member # 9172

- posted      Profile for RoxanneCrouse   Email RoxanneCrouse         Edit/Delete Post 
rcmann good luck with your family and friends. My thoughts are with you.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crashburn274
Member # 9687

- posted      Profile for Crashburn274   Email Crashburn274         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the proper format for commenting? Can everyone understand the comments as they appear in a *.doc (word 97) format?
I use Openoffice and Google Docs, so I can use several formats.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

As far as I know, the comment boxes work fine. I can read them in my older version of word. And, yes, they work on .rtf files, too.

If anyone has a specific problem with this, speak up.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Those side comments usually don't come through for me unless you send it pdf.

But right now it looks like we will be getting a new computer with a new word processor. Apple's new one is called pages. Don't know how comments will translate to pages but we shall see.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TempestDash
Member # 9026

- posted      Profile for TempestDash   Email TempestDash         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Meredith:
As far as I know, the comment boxes work fine. I can read them in my older version of word. And, yes, they work on .rtf files, too.

If anyone has a specific problem with this, speak up.

I tend to embed my comments using red colored text either within the text (if it's something like punctuation) or after the paragraph in question if I have a concern about how something was expressed.

I'm assuming that't not objectionable in some way. I'm doing most of my critiques on a tablet and I'm... uh, embarrassed to admit I don't know how to make the comment boxes in either OpenOffice or Polaris.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobED
Member # 9720

- posted      Profile for RobED           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a concern about how something was expressed.

I'm assuming that't not objectionable in some way. I'm doing most of my critiques on a tablet and I'm... uh, embarrassed to admit I don't know how to make the comment boxes in either OpenOffice or Polaris. [/QB]

In Open Office go to the Insert dropdown menue and choose comments.

Shortcut is Ctrl+Alt+N

Posts: 24 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

For me embedded comments seem to work fine even colored ones. I say seem to to because once or twice the colored ones didn't come over but most of the time no problem.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
If it will help, I can take up rcmans obligation. I can do the crit and judging on his behalf. That way, his story can stay in the competition and he needn't to worry about fitting in time he doesn't have.

Let me know if this is acceptable to everyone.

[ March 05, 2012, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: snapper ]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Sounds good to me. And very generous.

How about those in Group 3?

rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
I deeply appreciate the offer. Truly. But the fact is, my first chapter is much too long. What happened is that I had it already written, several years ago. Problem was, the version of LibreOffice I am using does/did not give an accurate word count for some reason. It is far too long to meet the guidelines, and I simply didn't have the time or attention to chop it.

Here's what happened to my wife's home town:

http://originalweatherblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/west-liberty-ky-hit-very-hard-by.html

(not my blog)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TempestDash
Member # 9026

- posted      Profile for TempestDash   Email TempestDash         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
  • Vote for the chapter that would most make you want to read on. Five points for a first place vote, three for second, one for third.

This instruction has me slightly puzzled. Are we supposed to vote 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places within our group? I was under the impression this was sort of a single-elimination contest and only the highest voted chapter moves on. How do the points work?
Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Each of you votes for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finisher in your group.

I will compile the points based on five points for 1st, 3 points for 2nd, and 1 pt for 3rd.

Then the first place finishers from each group will be read by the group at large for voting.

There's no real prize, other than getting a few more readers. [Smile]

As always, the main point is the comments and critiques we get from the others in our group.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished, except for voting. Meredith, are you ready to start receiving votes?
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

I've already recieved three, so yes. I can take the votes any time.
MattLeo
Member # 9331

I've received two crits (MartinV and aspirit) and coincidentally have sent crits to the same people. That means I'm waiting for crits from RobEd and TempestDash and they're waiting for mine.

I should be done on my end the end of this week.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TempestDash
Member # 9026

quote:
Originally posted by MattLeo:
I've received two crits (MartinV and aspirit) and coincidentally have sent crits to the same people. That means I'm waiting for crits from RobEd and TempestDash and they're waiting for mine.

I should be done on my end the end of this week.

Odd. I sent you your crit on Monday. Grumpynerd at Yahoo?
MattLeo
Member # 9331

TempestDash -- got it. It was just buried under a pile of other messages.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I need to send out my next crit.

At least these crits are easy to do. [Smile]

MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Meredith, I've sent in my vote. Please let me know if you didn't get it.

Everyone in group 2, you should all have a crit from me. Please let me know if you didn't recieve it, and I will resend it.

Thanks everyone for sharing. I really enjoyed reading them. [Smile]

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
How's everyone doing?
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Well, I'm doing better than I expected, mostly because the full novel I was expecting this month didn't materialize. I still have one story to read and two crits to do for this challenge. (Doesn't count my other writing group.)

I've received five sets of votes, so far.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I'm going a bit slow, I think I have two more chapters to do.

So far it's going to be hard to decide which votes to give.

And looks like it was easy to decide where my entry landed, as usual.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmmm, thought I had another chapter. Found an E-mail while I was sending the third crit. Evidently I downloaded the other chapter but I have no idea what happen to it after I got it.

So unless I find another one I have two more chapters to do.

Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I am on the last crit now. I havent sent any in yet. Hope to do so tonight, or tomorrow depending how the day goes.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TempestDash
Member # 9026

I sent out all my crits last Monday and received one back. Still waiting on the others.
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I've sent my crits to everyone in group 3 except rcmann since the received text is 67 pages long and doesn't appear to have chapters so can't really find chapter 1.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobED
Member # 9720

I received two crits and sent out two crits so far.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

Mine is irrelevant. Dump it.

I still have two to go.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I believe I sent all the crits in. If I missed one let me know.

And I sent in my votes.

There was one chapter that really beat out the others, beautiful descriptions, great pacing, Wonderful MC-- all good. Thought about giving it all the votes but don't think you can do that
The First chapter for Stone Within.

Obviously I'm joking, I know where my chapter is going to land, which isn't that much of a surprise.

Kinda fun challenge there, I assume it's not all the way over since there will probably be a second voting but still close enough to say this though.

rcmann
Member # 9757

I sent all my crits back. I figure since I withdrew I won't vote, but I liked all of them. One more than the rest, but all were decent. There aren't any bad writers here.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Psst! All you novelist. Here is something for you.

http://angryrobotbooks.com/2012/01/the-return-of-open-door/

Like how I buried it in the middle of this thread? A very short window for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Check it out.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Second in a life time... [Smile]

They did it last year.

But hmmm, classical fantasy. I do have one novel about ninety percent done, I haven't touched for months. I've been wanting to finish it anyway. Actually it might be YA but that looks okay here.

Of course I would have to finish it, have someone read it over and revise it before the end of April.

Meredith
Member # 8368

I just sent my last crit. I've recieved three.

Eight votes are in, which is just less than half. So far there are clear leaders in groups 1 and 2, although nobody's so far ahead that the lead couldn't change. Group 3 is too early to call with only one vote in.

genevive42
Member # 8714

Tiergan, did you send out those crits? Not rushing, just wondering if I missed something.
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent my votes in yesterday.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent my crits to everyone in my group. I'll get to the votes tomorrow.

By the by, is there anyone who didn't get my crit?

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by genevive42:
Tiergan, did you send out those crits? Not rushing, just wondering if I missed something.

[Frown] Sorry, got bogged down. Really strange because I went right through the stories. Then put them on the back burner to think about, if something else came up. Any how, I am going to give them a once over later today, then out they go.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

Group three should have my critiques now:

MartinV: critiques exchanged.
TempestDash: critiques exchanged.
aspirit: my critique sent, waiting for hers.
RobED: my critique sent, waiting for his.

apirit, RobED: if you've sent me your critique of Keystone, let me know because for some reason I haven't received it.

Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
Group One!

I've received crits from everyone in my group. Thanx for your thoughts and efforts!

I returned my crit of Natej11's chapter just a few minutes ago.

Meredith's chapter is up next.

I still have Shimiqua's chapter to go after that.

I will have those two crits out sometime mid week. If it keeps raining throughout the weekend and they call off our Sunday morning street hockey game, I will finish the crits sooner. [Big Grin]

S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've sent my votes to Meredith and exchanged critiques with everyone in Group Three (MartinV, TempestDash, RobEd, and MattLeo).

We have a week to go until the deadline for Round One.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobED
Member # 9720

I sent and received all of mine.
TempestDash
Member # 9026

Same here, I've sent and received all of mine. I think group three is essentially done now.
Meredith
Member # 8368

Here's what I know:

I can officially declare the winner of Group 2. I was close right up until the last votes were in. Everyone got at least one vote. But:

Genevieve42 is the winner
MAP took second place
and Owasm is in third

The other two groups are still in play. I'm missing three votes from Group 1 and two votes from Group 2. You know who you are. By the weekend, so will everyone else if I don't have your votes. [Razz]

Personally, I've sent all my crits and received four back.

Less than a week to go, people.

genevive42
Member # 8714

Wow, I thought for sure MAP would get it. Her piece was really great! I enjoyed yours a lot too, Owasm.

Thanks Group 2.

[ March 26, 2012, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: genevive42 ]

MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
No way, genevive, yours was awesome. [Smile]

Congrats on winning.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank for you gracious acceptance speech, Genevive. In my book, you both are winners. I had you both at 1 and 2, but I won't reveal which.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TempestDash
Member # 9026

quote:
Originally posted by Meredith:
Here's what I know:

I can officially declare the winner of Group 2.

[...]

The other two groups are still in play. I'm missing three votes from Group 1 and two votes from Group 2. You know who you are. By the weekend, so will everyone else if I don't have your votes.

I'm presuming that you meant you're missing two votes from Group _3_ seeing as you declared the winner of Group 2 already. [Wink]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.