Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » First Chapter Challenge (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: First Chapter Challenge
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TempestDash:
quote:
Originally posted by Meredith:
Here's what I know:

I can officially declare the winner of Group 2.

[...]

The other two groups are still in play. I'm missing three votes from Group 1 and two votes from Group 2. You know who you are. By the weekend, so will everyone else if I don't have your votes.

I'm presuming that you meant you're missing two votes from Group _3_ seeing as you declared the winner of Group 2 already. [Wink]
You got me. I'm missing two votes from Group 3 not Group 2. All votes are in for Group 2.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, taking you all long enough. What are you doing? Writing a novel?

I am curious if everyone has checked out the link to Angry Robot and I'm also curious on who is planning to submit to them.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
My novel isn't quite finished so I'm not shopping it yet.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

I've received one e-mail that indicates a level of confusion. Here's the deal:

You send your critiques directly to your crit partners in your group. This is the real point of this challenge (and just about any other challenge on Hatrack), so pull your weight here.

You e-mail your votes directly to me. I'm keeping tabs on who's voted and how many points everyone has. When I can, I'll declare the winners.

If you don't vote or if I learn that you haven't done your crits, I reserve the right to disqualify your entry.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
To make sure there's no confusion in my group. I did do the crits and returned them. But I am not voting because my entry was withdrawn. So don't wait for a vote from me.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't have any ready to go that would fit with what Angry Robot wants this time. My one classic fantasy is still only three fourths to eight-five percent done.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Okay, guys. Tomorrow is the deadline.

Two people still have not sent me their votes: RoxanneCrouse and RobEd.

I also personally have not recieved a crit from Roxanne Crouse who is in my group.

Anybody else still missing critiques?

No critique, no votes, no reasonable excuses = disqualification. Any excuses had better be pretty good. There was a nice long time allowed for this challenge. If I can manage it without having running water for the last four days, what's your excuse? (Also, being without running water makes me crabby. [Eek!] )

RobED
Member # 9720

- posted      Profile for RobED           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! Apparently I had some connection issue and my votes I sent weeks ago were saved as a draft. Resent now.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Got them, RobEd. And I can now declare the winner of Group 3. It was close.

1st place: MartinV

2nd place: MattLeo

3rd place: TempestDash

Group 1 is even closer. Only 1 point separates the current leader from a 3-way tie for second place. I'll declare the winner tomorrow as it currently stands if I don't hear from RoxanneCrouse today.

Meredith
Member # 8368

No word, no votes, and no crit (at least for me) from RoxanneCrouse. She's out.

The winner of Group 1 is Shimiqua.

Only one point back, the three runners up for second are:
NateJ11
RoxyL
and Me.

Okay, now for the real prize. The first place winners can now send their chapters to the other two groups for another round of critiques and final voting.

Given the competition, I know these will be good. Enjoy, everyone.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
For convenience, I've reposted the groups below as I believe they are. I removed RoxanneCrouse and rcmann because I don't believe they are voting and I've bolded the winners for each group. Please let me know if anything is incorrect.

Group 1:
Meredith, SEVEN STARS, YA Fantasy
wirelesslibrarian, EXPIRATION DATE, MG Fantasy
RoxyL, MOTHER OF PEARL, YA Fantasy
Natej11, CORSAIRS, YA Fantasy
Shimiqua, FUNNY TRAGIC, CRAZY MAGIC, YA Urban Fantasy
Crank, ORACLE OF SENTRY RIDGE, YA

Group 2:
Owasm, The Reluctant Mage, YA Fantasy
LDWriter2, STONE WITHIN, Urban Fantasy
genevive42, FORGED WITH FIRE AND STEEL, Fantasy
Tiergan, KNIGHTS VALOR, Fantasy
Crash, LAST DAYS OF FUSPMAR, Fantasy
MAP, BONDED, Fantasy

Group 3:
MartinV, Clockworks Warrior, Steampunk Fantasy
TempestDash, NEWTON'S CROSSING, Space Opera
MattLeo, THE KEYSTONE, Space Opera/Romantic Comedy
aspirit, REFLECTIONS IN THE NIGHT, YA Romantic Sci-Fi
RobED, SHATTERED EMPIRE, SCI-FI/Fantasy

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

RobEd - I didn't see you e-mail address in your profile.

Otherwise, I've sent mine out to everyone in Groups 1 & 3.

Meredith, what's the deadline for this round?

Also, do we finalists vote or just comment? Will it throw the numbers off to only be getting two votes from each of us?

MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I see my name in bold there. Didn't expect that. Thanks for the confidence boost, guys and gals. I might actually smashword this one in the next three weeks.

I will send my 1st chapter (minus some spelling errors that were reported by the group) to everyone this evening.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

The deadline is April 15th. With only two additional chapters to read, that should be easy.

Hmm. I don't see why finalists shouldn't vote.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Good I wanted to read Clockworks. Even though I must say that name is catching on, seems like I've seen at least three Clockwork something or another in the last couple of months. Including a "Clockworks Vampire".

Looks like I got my one and two places reversed. [Smile]

Third Place was the one I voted for even though I blew the title. Did someone change it to Reluctant on me or did I just misremember?

I had one HM just in case.

I kinda, sort of wondered who came in last--not really it was a good guess who-- but according to Meredith it was a three or four way tie in Group two. That's surprising.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
Good I wanted to read Clockworks. Even though I must say that name is catching on, seems like I've seen at least three Clockwork something or another in the last couple of months. Including a "Clockworks Vampire".

I kinda, sort of wondered who came in last--not really it was a good guess who-- but according to Meredith it was a three or four way tie in Group two. That's surprising.

No, second place was a three way tie in Group 1, not Group 2.
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I just did my first read through of all the finalists, and I have to say that you guys all rock. Seriously, this is some high caliber writing. In my book, you are all winners and should be rich and famous authors.

Voting is going to be tough.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Meredith I meant last place not third. I see the confusion since technically third is last. [Smile]

I meant who got the least votes

But you said everyone in group two got one vote.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oh speaking of steampunk I received a catalog that showed at least three steampunk outfits for girls. Nothing for guys.

But I know of one character who would love the first outfit shown. [Smile]

MAP
Member # 8631

Sheena and Martin, you should have critiques from me.

Meredith, you should have my votes.

If any of you haven't recieved them, let me know and I'll resend.

Thanks for the challenge Meredith. It was a lot of fun to see what everyone has been working on. [Smile]

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

I'm still without an e-mail address for RobEd. Can anyone help?
genevive42
Member # 8714

I got RobEd's e-mail and sent it off.

Otherwise I've commented and voted. I feel honored to be in the company of these great finalists. Whoever wins, it's been all sorts of fun.

Thanks Meredith, for putting this together.

Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, I got Sheena's chapter for the final critique. Shouldnt I have 2?
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Yes, you should have gotten one from MartinV.
Tiergan
Member # 7852

Alriht than, I am missing MartinV. If you can send it to me MartinV I will get my stories critted and voted and in.

Thanks

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

I realized I forgot to send mine to RoxanneCrouse. I just sent it along with another one to Tiergan.

So far, I've received six reviews. I've written reviews for the other two group winners but I haven't send them yet in case I decide to add something.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

Hey guys, sorry about the delay. Stuck in Canada for the week. Yarmouth. Food was too good, now sick, and worshipping the old porcelain goddess, feels like college days all over. Have read the stories, if time permits today will get at least votes in, crits may have to wait until tomorrow. Or Sunday.
Meredith
Member # 8368

I have seven votes so far. That means eight people haven't voted, yet. Sunday is the deadline. In this case, I will announce the winner however many votes I have.

I hope everyone is getting their final crits. That's the real prize.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, I was thinking of "Clockwork Warrior" and that novel I mention "Clockwork Vampire" and I came up with my own title. Would make an interesting story.
MartinV
Member # 5512

Just sent reviews to both Shimiqua and genevive42. I think I'm not really entitled to voting but if I had to choose which one I enjoyed more I would have a really difficult time.
Crashburn274
Member # 9687

- posted      Profile for Crashburn274   Email Crashburn274         Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is (finally) in. Couldn't decide between the more interesting milieu and the more interesting main character. I imagine most people would vote for the latter, but in the end I am more interested in exploring a fascinating world. Good job to everyone!
Posts: 15 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm Crash for my tastes that fascinating description would fit at least two of the worlds. But your tastes could be more toward the type of world you voted for.

(Shoulder shrug) that is why we have votes. [Smile]

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've sent my votes and all of my critiques as of today.

Hopefully, my husband won't be too upset when he finds out how little time I had left to work on our tax returns. It'll be okay. Unlike me, he has tomorrow off of work.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

And the winner is . . . .

Shimiqua for FUNNY TRAGIC CRAZY MAGIC.

Congratulations!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Good work there, Shimiqua

To Meredith too for all the extra work you put in... thanks

But what was the scoring for those three?

Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
Good work there, Shimiqua

To Meredith too for all the extra work you put in... thanks

But what was the scoring for those three?

I will say that each of the finalists got more than one first place vote.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Congrats Shimiqua!
MartinV
Member # 5512

Congratulations, Shimiqua.

Thank you all for reading and for sending reviews. They definitely improved my writing and brought me to a solid place.

snapper
Member # 7299

Congrats sheena. I'd like to read it. Could you send it to me?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

Congrats Sheena!!!

And thanks Meredith for running this.

RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Sheena!
All the stories were very strong.
And thanks, Meredith, for putting this on.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Good writing challenge. Congratulations to Sheena and congratulations to everyone who participated.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
No freakin way!!

I'm going to put this win in my query letter.

Also in my "Close my eyes and squeal to myself" letter that is addressed only to me.

I was really impressed with Genevieve and Martin's story. Thus my shock.

Snapper, do you want just the first chapter?

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

Congrats Shimiquia!!! Well done. There was some stiff competition out there.

While I had voted already, still trying to finish my last two crits. Recovered enough from the stomach bug to make it home on the 6 seat airplane(tiny, tiny) over the border, but stomach didnt hold out much after that. I hope by tomorrow I on the mends.

snapper
Member # 7299

Yes please. 1st chapter.

Take a deep breath everyone. New challenge starting soon.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.