Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » 2012 WotF trigger challenge entries (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 2012 WotF trigger challenge entries
wirelesslibrarian
Member # 9513

- posted      Profile for wirelesslibrarian   Email wirelesslibrarian         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Roxy! Amora was my first place pick when I voted. It's a wonderful story, and I know it will find a home.

So, my crystal ball turned out to be right when it showed me the letter R earlier. Guess I'll keep it, even though it usually just says "try again later."

Posts: 108 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cannoli, that was unexpected! Thanks so much for your warm wishes and most importantly, those great crits. I was not expecting anything close to a win with this one. The idea for the story started with that OTP Myths and Legends contest, but never got off the ground. And then I wrote it specifically for a younger market. When I saw all the other amazing entries, I was just excited when it made it to the finals.
Strycher, Brendan, Wireless and Rabirch, your stories are just fabulous.

Snaps, you, of course, deserve huge kudos. I can't imagine juggling this kind of contest.

And thanks to Aspirit, Ethereon and 'that astute, brilliant' NickT for taking time to do this.

And Nick, I think the stipulation was only that you had to smile back or say hi if Ute addressed you first. Otherwise, I'm sure grunting would be perfectly acceptable.

[ June 06, 2012, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: RoxyL ]

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
And I had forgotten it but Number One-Can't think of the Title right now- was great too even though I think I can understand why it didn't do better. But it should be sent out immediately. Most markets would not be concerned about our trigger.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And I wonder what would happen of Juliet met Dave.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
RoxyL,

Do you want a particular message in the book? I was thinking of using a designated peon to sign it with heartfelt worlds like "This authorized reproduction of Nick Tchan's autograph may not be shown to anyone outside of the designated recipient upon pain of death. P.S. This is not actually Nick's signature and he didn't even formulate these words."

I'm happy to send it via sea-mail or airmail. If I send it quicker, I will ask that you post a (genuine - if you don't like my story or any other, say so) review on Amazon though,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Roxy! You deserve it! That story was so darn beautiful. Let us know when you publish it.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

lol Nick, why don't you tell us how you * really * feel about us mere mortals?

The only thing that would make it better would be if you got your dog (kangaroo, platypus?) to sign it.

As far as shipping, you choose, and I'll post a review on Amazon either way. In all sincerity, thanks tons for doing this.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay Nick. Worked this out with Ute. How about a one-eye glare, grunt, fist bump, and let us photoshop a picture of you onto one of Ute's that shows you two as best buddies.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay, finally can say a few words about my story.

For those who haven't read my story this won't mean much.

One thing: I think I will go back to my original idea that she is angry that he is there on his own, the rest of it will pretty much stay the same. A few tweaks here and there with the crits I received but basically the same.

Second thing: A couple of you made various comments about the opening scene. There's a reason for my description of her the way I did it, except for what is behind her. My inspiration for the story was a picture. It's on the cover of another story- HERE - by someone else but I came up with my own story.

Obviously it didn't come across the way I wanted it to but that isn't unusual for me.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, the one question I have is when I bend to kiss Nick's ring to I have to drop to one knee, or will a simple bow from the waist do it?
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

quote:
...fist bump...
That would involved...*shudder*...touching him.

quote:
OK, the one question I have is when I bend to kiss Nick's ring to I have to drop to one knee, or will a simple bow from the waist do it?
Pervert
Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

quote:
n all sincerity, thanks tons for doing this.
No, thank you for writing such a great story. It's a shame time restrictions have stopped me reading everyone's.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I said ring, not ...
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

Roxy,

I have posted the book. I inquired about airmail, but I decided against it, since it cost $57. As such, the surface mail will unfortunately take 8 weeks or so. I hope it's worth the wait.

Regards,

Nick

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
8 weeks? What are they going to do, pass it around each post office on its way here?

I ship container loads from China day in and day out and the maximum time they take is 5 weeks. Sheesh.

I know that's completely irrelevant, but, well, I'm gonna go now.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

Axeminister,

I posted it to Snapper and then made him crawl with the package to Roxy's house while smeared in tar and feathers. It seemed the simplest way to get it to her.

Nick

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick,

You forgot to mention that Jennifer has to throw rose petals at Snapper's knees as he's crawling. I mean, it IS your signature he's carrying. [Smile]

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

So, I'm totally failing at coming up with anything witty to say this morning, so all I'll add is,

Thanks, Nick. It'll be well worth the eight week wait to get the book.

And, I wonder what the neighbors will think of the entourage that's apparently accompanying it.

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I posted it to Snapper and then (wanted) him (to) crawl with the package to Roxy's house while smeared in tar and feathers.
pervert
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

I may be way late in requesting this, but I wonder if the person who voted for my story would be willing to send me an e-mail and let me know what they liked about it.

If not, no biggie. I won't ask Snapps behind your back. [Smile]

Axe

Strycher
Member # 9821

- posted      Profile for Strycher   Email Strycher         Edit/Delete Post 
It is also probably too late to mention this, but I noticed one person disliked the use of underlining for emphasis, and another asked after the _underscores_ in my manuscript.

Underlining in place of italics is Standard Manuscript Format. It's for the sake of the copy editor. (Well, now it's kind of a throw back because of electronic submissions, but it is still considered standard--especially if you're submitting in paper.)

_Underscores_ are the plain text equivalent of underlining. .Txt files don't save underlining or italics. Since there are a few markets that ask for plain text, I have just taken to writing in it so that I don't have to reformat every manuscript.

Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

The guilty party has come forward.

This challenge has helped me a lot already.

How?

The story I wrote after this one, applying the lessons I learned, is in the 2nd round at DSF. Now, it could still get rejected, but it's in the 2nd freekin round.

First story of mine to ever make it that far.

So, thanks to Snapps for running the contest.

And voting for me.

Axe

RoxyL
Member # 9096

The book arrived already! No slow boat from Australia on this one.

Of course, the first story I turned to was NickT's. And wouldn't you know, he really is astute and brilliant. Excellent story, Nick. It really hit the perfect balance between human emotion and a fascinating world and premise. Loved it.

So, thanks, NickT for the book. I'll get the review up on Amazon as soon as I've finished devouring the rest of the stories.

And thanks, Snapper, for putting on this great contest.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.