Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Writer's of the Future trigger challenge 2013 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Writer's of the Future trigger challenge 2013
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brendan:
Oh, had I known that Nick T was voting, I would have created a character named Tchan. Is it too late to write a new character, say a judge, into my story?

Unfortunately, I would instantly see through such a transparent attempt at vote grabbing. Creating a brilliant, charismatic, fearless and heroic - no, God-like character named Nick, silent T, Chan would be a completely different matter.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wirelesslibrarian
Member # 9513

- posted      Profile for wirelesslibrarian   Email wirelesslibrarian         Edit/Delete Post 
Whyyyyyyyyy? Why is there silence?
Posts: 108 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by wirelesslibrarian:
Whyyyyyyyyy? Why is there silence?

Our ability to refresh pages is being tested. [Big Grin]
Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sigh. How many times must I tell you that you cannot use my name without express permission of my legal department?
I did. I called up your legal department, made my request, and mentioned you by name (even spelled it out for them). They said,

Who?

So I went into a long rambling and detailed explanation of who you were and what you have meant to international literature and they said...

Who?

So I kept it up, believing this was your elaborate plan to dissuade your half-hearted stalkers, going on-and-on about your contributions until I realized (30 minutes into a rant) that they had already hung up.

So, I emailed, sent certified letters, and sky wrote over their offices until they finally sent me a cease and desist order. In it they cleared stated on the use of your name...

We could care less

...which is written permission in my book.

quote:
of course you strive to be just like me.
Sorry, this was a misspelling on part. I meant to write How I starve to be like (you). Saw your press photo and I was impressed with your 6' 2 - 110 pound frame. But since then, I learned you stole that picture and discovered I was really looking at Louis Doggert's high school prom pic - which would explain the 'Robin Egg' blue tux (dude, you looked good)
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Results!!!!

Here are the top five vote getters. The top three have already been sent to our judge - Tina Smith.

#5 Unlimited Power - 13

#10 Enclosed - 11

#11 Crystalline Harmony - 10

#8 A Simple Delegation - 9

#1 You Get What You Pay For - 7

9 out of 11 entries received votes and 7 of them received a first place vote.

Good job, all!

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda of surprised by Unlimited Power but I could have missed something.

By what was said in the crits I assume mine may have gotten one or two votes or so which is my usual placement.

On my story I tried to do a fun piece--I have a couple and thought this would be a good set up for another--but it didn't work out that way. Some would say the story had other ideas, it came out about twice as long as I thought it would be with the fun idea. Still it was suppose to be light and easy reading.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

Snapper,

My lawyers don’t speak American; they actually speak a recognisable language. No wonder they didn’t understand you over the phone. And personally, I would have given up too and stated “we could care less” after receiving yet another one of your rambling missives (I, for the last time, am *not* interested in Amway).

As for the picture, I tried to use my own high school prom photo, but the sewn-on leopard skin trousers were mysteriously blurred in the photos; I guess some things are too awesome to be captured on film.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

P.S. An excellent selection of stories. Why is an illiterate such as Snapper running a competition for clearly superior writers?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snapper:
But since then, I learned you stole that picture and discovered I was really looking at Louis Doggert's high school prom pic - which would explain the 'Robin Egg' blue tux (dude, you looked good) [/QB]

Hey dude if you're going to use my name Get it Right. I realize that you might be all a twitter having to deal with such an important name in writing--I mean of course your adversary not me--We know his pen name but is his real name Mccoy and yours Hatfield?

Of course I looked good, I almost always look good---according to my wife.

Funny thing is I didn't go to any prom. Hmm----

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
The silence has been shattered.

Good job everyone! Now... I really want to know which 2 I guessed correctly out of the 5. Hm.

Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done all.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to the finalists!
Off to Tina they go. (The stories, not the finalists.)

Without knowing who wrote what, I'll reveal I voted for, in numerical order, not necessarily my 1 2 3 order, stories #1, #8, and #11.

If anyone finds that tidbit interesting...

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew you'd succumb to the charms of the trolls eventually:)

ETA: My votes were 5, 2 and 4, in that order.

[ June 19, 2013, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: pdblake ]

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wirelesslibrarian
Member # 9513

- posted      Profile for wirelesslibrarian   Email wirelesslibrarian         Edit/Delete Post 
My votes were #5, #11, and #10. IN that order.

Do I know how to pick 'em or what?

If only I could write 'em as well. Congrats to the finalists!

Posts: 108 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to the finalists! And everybody, for that matter. We've all got brand new, shiny stories!

My votes, in numerical order, not necessarily 1 2 3 order were for stories #2, #4, and #5.

Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your vote, rabirch. Congratulations to the finalists.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your votes, rabirch and pdblake. Congratulations to the finalists.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
My lawyers don’t speak American; they actually speak a recognisable language.
There's a 'z' in recognizable. You know, there is 26 letters in the alphabet. Try using them all, equally (and a little less of the 'u's)

quote:
I would have given up too and stated “we could care less” after receiving yet another one of your rambling missives (I, for the last time, am *not* interested in Amway).
Oh boy, try to be tactful...

I wasn't trying to sell you Amway when I suggested you could use some soap. Sheesh.

Estee
Member # 9824

- posted      Profile for Estee   Email Estee         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, I thought at last I wrote a short story, but pretty much every comment I got said that my piece was more of a first chapter. Thanks to everyone for the feedback and ideas. I will use them. Someday I will write a real short story and it will be awesome!

Tesknota--you got me, I authored #4. Thanks rabirch and pdblake for voting for me.

And great job to the finalists. I voted #5, #11, #8.

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
@Estee: YESSSS. Victory! I did like your story Estee! I guess the other one I got right was that pdblake wrote the troll story? =)

If we're confessing, I admit that I wrote #8. However, I will go ahead and say that I deviated very far from my usual writing style on that one. It was inspired by David Eagleman's book "Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives".

Fun fact: This is the first story I've completed in 5 years. I am terrible at finishing things. So THANK YOU x1000 to snapper, who essentially made this happen! =D

[ June 24, 2013, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: tesknota ]

Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick T and Snapper, you are setting a very bad example. Shame on you!
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

But, but, he started it!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.