Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Writer's of the Future trigger challenge 2013 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Writer's of the Future trigger challenge 2013
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice solution OWASM. Simple, but elegant.

It could work for more that five, say six or seven if we like. But that's me complicating it again. [Smile]

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Owasm has the winning idea. I'm thinking everyone gets 7 stories to read - allows for an overlap, assuring a fairer voting process. Sound good? I insist that we have at least 6 stories a piece if 7 is too much. What do you think?

Already received one vote. I will start posting comments when I get enough. As soon as we reach a consensus, I will send stories out to those that have been voted.

So, is 7 a good amount of stories to read and review or would you rather limit it to 6?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't that mean that some will be read more than others and thus get a greater chance to be voted for?
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if everyone reads the seven stories that follow theirs (and everyone gets the stories in the same order,) then assuming everyone actually votes, there should be an even distribution. Yes? Math and spatial reasoning are not my strong suit.
Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

They are mine (I'm a software developer), but sometimes my brain can't be bothered [Smile]
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

I like seven - the more stories are used, the fairer it will be to those stories that happen to be next to the strongest story in the group.

You are right Rebecca. So long as the bottom authors (by story number) go back to the top to complete their seven, everyone gets the same chance.

But you are right pdblake, too, in that the number of words will be different. In the worst case scenario, someone may have to read up to 28000, while another may get to read 8000. Most likely, the target will be between 20000 and 21000 words for seven stories.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estee
Member # 9824

- posted      Profile for Estee   Email Estee         Edit/Delete Post 
Seven is fine with me.
Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Seven it is. About half of you voted. I have sent the entries to them.

Now, to make it easier for myself, I am send all the entries to everyone. You need only to read the seven stories starting after your entry. So if you wrote entry 8 - for example - you would read and vote on 9,10,11,1,2,3,4.

You are welcome to read and comment on them all but only vote for the top three of the seven you were assigned. Got it? I hope so.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

All clear, Snapper. Thanks!
Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Oh boy. My apologies to a few of you. Sent out my master copy of the stories without making sure the authors names were deleted, so about half of you received a file with half of the names attached to the entries.

I'm sure you all can still judge fairly, but it still makes me embarrassed. Sigh. I guess that's the difference between very human finalists like myself, Dustin, Rebecca, and Bob, and the robotic perfection quality of the soulless writers like Nick T.

rabirch
Member # 9832

I may have missed it somewhere, but is there a response deadline for votes/comments on the full submissions?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to have missed that too.

I was late with my votes for the Openings, don't want to be again.

I did look for a date.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

Were crits for the openings not mandatory? It's just that, with eleven entries, each opening should have received ten crits. Most only have seven or eight posted.

[ June 08, 2013, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: pdblake ]

snapper
Member # 7299

@ PD - no, the crits for the openings were not mandatory, but they are for the 2nd round of judging.

Speaking of which...the first five judges comments have been posted under each entry. You may wonder why some have five and others as little as two, some of our fellow hatrackers were very kind and gave all the entries a crit. Thank you very much for that.

There is a clear favorite in the voting but we still have over half of the judges that still need to vote. A very wide open contest at this point.

snapper
Member # 7299

Posted more fresh comments.

We have three people left to vote. There is a clear # 1 but several are vying for the remaining two positions.

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the clear #1 the winner of the 13 line contest, with an auto pass to the next round?

So, shouldn't there be a clear #2 with one vying for the remaining position?

Or are you inadvertently giving things away Mr. Freud?

Let the guessomancy begin!

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

quote:
Originally posted by axeminister:
Isn't the clear #1 the winner of the 13 line contest, with an auto pass to the next round?

So, shouldn't there be a clear #2 with one vying for the remaining position?

Or are you inadvertently giving things away Mr. Freud?

Let the guessomancy begin!

Axe

I looked through the rules, and didn't see any mention of this, Axe. Was that maybe from a different year? Or, perhaps, my reading skills are just MIA. [Smile]
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snapper:

Since we have an odd number of entries - whoever wins the opening competition, will receive an automatic pass to the final round.

I took this to mean the story itself will go to the judge based on winning the 13.

Snapps can clarify when he pulls over and checks his Blackberry.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

quote:
Originally posted by axeminister:
quote:

Since we have an odd number of entries - whoever wins the opening competition, will receive an automatic pass to the final round.

I took this to mean the story itself will go to the judge based on winning the 13.

Snapps can clarify when he pulls over and checks his Blackberry.

Axe

And it would appear that, yes, my reading skills are, indeed, MIA. [Razz] I'm sure Snapper will clarify.
Brendan
Member # 6044

Oh, I'm hoping that the winning opening will go through as well as three from the remaining. I know that snapper didn't say this, but... [Smile]
snapper
Member # 7299

nope, entry #11 has not received an automatic bid. entertained the idea but opted for owasm's brilliant suggestion instead.
rabirch
Member # 9832

quote:
nope, entry #11 has not received an automatic bid. entertained the idea but opted for owasm's brilliant suggestion instead.

Thanks for the clarification, Snapper! And yes, Owasm is brilliant.
axeminister
Member # 8991

To the author of entry #11, I apologize for OWASM's brilliance. [Smile]

Axe

snapper
Member # 7299

Brendan
Member # 6044

This thread has gone quiet. Any more news on updates?

More to the point, when can we get to our traditional guessomancy game? [Smile]

rabirch
Member # 9832

quote:
Originally posted by Brendan:
This thread has gone quiet. Any more news on updates?

More to the point, when can we get to our traditional guessomancy game? [Smile]

Mmmm . . . guessomancy. Tasty. [Big Grin]
snapper
Member # 7299

Update??? I suppose.

A new set of comments are up. I am waiting to hear from two more judges. I have sent them both an email. As far as a guessomancy... if you insist...

List of authors in alphabetical order:

Axeminister - Brendan - Estee Wood
LDWriter - Melanie Vera - Owasm
PDBlake - Rabrich - snapper
Tesknota - wirelesslibrian

Brendan
Member # 6044

Ok, I'll give a few guesses.

#2: The Thirteenth Second__________Estee Wood
#3: Vital_________________________Melanie Vera
#4: Pivot________________________Owasm
#6: Civic Duty____________________snapper
#7: The Chief Chef's Frenzy Meal____LDWriter
#8: Simple Delegation_____________wirelesslibrian

snapper
Member # 7299

You got three right, Brendan.

Just heard from the two judges. One promised to have theirs in very soon, while the other.... [Frown]

Not to worry, I have a backup plan.

tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
How's this?

#01: You Get What You Pay For - pdblake
#02: The Thirteenth Second - rabirch
#04: Pivot - Estee
#10: Enclosed - snapper
#11: Crystalline Harmony - Brendan

Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

#1 = PDBlake, although last time I guessed troll story = PDblake, I was wrong.
#4 = Tesknota
#6 = Snappah
#7 = Louis
#8 = Wireless Librarian
#9 = Ken
#10 = Neil deGrasse Tyson. No wait, he didn't enter. How about Brendan
#11 = Rebecca

rabirch
Member # 9832

This part is always challenging. Here are some wild guesses.

Here goes:

#1 - Brendan
#2 - Estee
#5 - Axeminister
#6 - Snapper
#7 - LDWriter
#8 - Owasm
#10 - wirelesslibrarian

wirelesslibrarian
Member # 9513

- posted      Profile for wirelesslibrarian   Email wirelesslibrarian         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a couple of guesses for me being the author of #8. That's no, and no. Can't claim #10 either.

Since the attachment I received had names on five of the stories, I feel like I'd be cheating if I guessed. Although, I know for certain that one of the names was wrong, because it was someone else's name over my story. Makes me wonder if Snapper is messing with us.

Here's a hint about mine. Food is mentioned.

Posts: 108 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

quote:
Originally posted by wirelesslibrarian:
I've seen a couple of guesses for me being the author of #8. That's no, and no. Can't claim #10 either.

Since the attachment I received had names on five of the stories, I feel like I'd be cheating if I guessed. Although, I know for certain that one of the names was wrong, because it was someone else's name over my story. Makes me wonder if Snapper is messing with us.

Hmm. The plot thickens!
Estee
Member # 9824

- posted      Profile for Estee   Email Estee         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been guessed as #2 or #4 -- and one of those is right! Am I supposed to 'fess up as soon as someone gets it right?
Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

quote:
Originally posted by wirelesslibrarian:

Mine too [Wink]

Though I won't join in as I got a copy with names on too, so I definitely know which one was mine. I think [Big Grin]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Well, I'm not going to try to guess, I'm no good at that.

And mine might be easy to guess by those who have read my stories before, I seem to keep making the same mistakes no matter how I work on it.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Tesknota - 2 out of 5 right

axeminster - 5 out of 8

rabrich - 3 out of 7

@Louis - you're writing style apparently isn't the only one that is transparent [Frown] - How's that for a hint?

[ June 15, 2013, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: snapper ]

snapper
Member # 7299

Update

I have received 10 out of 11 votes for the contest. Unfortunately, the last author has decided to withdraw from the competition (I won't go into why) - which messes things up, big time.

Fortunately, I have a back up plan. A hatrack member, who didn't participate in the contest, is going to read and judge the 7 stories the final author was set to judge. Their identity will remain a secret so authors won't be able to lobby them for a very important vote - I know how shameless some of you can be. BTW, have I said how wonderful I find Nick T Chan's writing? It is so poetic and engaging. I can't seem to put his work down when I start reading it. How I strive to be just like him.

Anyway, I can give you this tidbit. Two of the stories have received enough votes to be guaranteed entry into the final round.

The remaining spot is very up for grabs. There is a scenario where a five way tie for the final spot can happen - it is that close. With that in mind, I have not determined what I should do in the event of a tie. At this point, odds favor that a tie between at least two stories will happen. I am open to suggestions. Here is one idea for you...

All stories that have tied for the final spot will be sent to everyone where each person will pick their choice.

God forbid if we end up with a tie under that scenario as well.

What do you think? Acceptable or does anyone have a better idea?

rabirch
Member # 9832

Food is mentioned in mine, too!

Dangit, now I'm hungry.

wirelesslibrarian
Member # 9513

- posted      Profile for wirelesslibrarian   Email wirelesslibrarian         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds fine to me, Snaps.
Posts: 108 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

Fine by me
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not?
Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

Bring it on.

I'm excited that things are so close. Strong stories!

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Food for thought!
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

My characters don't eat or pee.
Ever.
I learned that from Gene Roddenberry.

I'm down with a tie-breaker if need be. I think we did that in one of the past year's contest.

Nice sentence, Axe.

Thanks.

Nick T's writing is superb. He's my hero.

Axe

rabirch
Member # 9832

Pretty sure we tie-breaked (grammar-ACK!) last year.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Fine by me too.

Actually, I'm not all that surprised by the closeness. In the stories I read there were three or four with good writing, not bad stories either. I went by more the stories I liked and the use of the phrase.

There are a couple of stories I want to see published pretty much as they are.

Brendan
Member # 6044

Oh, had I known that Nick T was voting, I would have created a character named Tchan. Is it too late to write a new character, say a judge, into my story?
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Update

Fortunately, I have a back up plan. A hatrack member, who didn't participate in the contest, is going to read and judge the 7 stories the final author was set to judge. Their identity will remain a secret so authors won't be able to lobby them for a very important vote - I know how shameless some of you can be. BTW, have I said how wonderful I find Nick T Chan's writing? It is so poetic and engaging. I can't seem to put his work down when I start reading it. How I strive to be just like him.

Sigh. How many times must I tell you that you cannot use my name without express permission of my legal department? I mean, really, didn't the first whipping, feathering and tarring teach you anything?

Besides, of course you strive to be just like me. Everyone knows your entire life has been a sad little quest to emulate my brilliance, beauty and all-around awesomeness. You don't have to say so explictly; it would make me blush if I was capable of feeling such a mundane human emotion.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.