Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » 1st editions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 1st editions
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Gauntlet Press is re-issuing a limited edition of Richard Matheson's Nightmare at 20,000 Feet, signed by Matheson and William Shatner. They said there were too many buyers for the lettered edition, but if you wanted a copy you'd be put on a waiting list in case someone gave up their copy.

I went ahead and put myself on the list 'cause I never thought I'd get it. Guess who was the first person on that waiting list to be contacted? And guess who bought an embarassingly expensive book that he couldn't afford?

Yes. I am an idiot.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edward Douglas
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for Edward Douglas   Email Edward Douglas         Edit/Delete Post 
rich,

no you are certainly not an idiot. More power to ya! We only live once and we can't take the money with us. ;-)

We need whatever happiness we can get in this world, even if we have to buy it.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

Thanks, Edward. As I've pointed out to my friends, I have few vices (at least that I can talk about publicly), and the occasional expensive book or comic book is something that I don't normally have any issues with. After all, everyone spends their money on something, right? I don't really care about cars, yet a friend who gave me some grief about the book purchase had to be reminded that his own obsession with cars can be expensive, too.

I'm selective about the limited edition books I buy, and the few that I've got that are worth something will be passed down to my kids.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
ooh were you the one that recently bought the Superman Issue #1?
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hate to buy a book I'd have to keep in a safe deposit box.

Appropos of this, I remember the story a stamp collector told...he bought one of the "inverted Jennys" (if you know stamps, you know what that is), and owned it for about twenty-five years...for the first few years, he hardly ever saw it, and for about a fifteen-year period until he sold it, he didn't see it at all.

It's like successful writing without being published...the joy of ownership and possession is strictly a psychological one.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

I don't normally buy books (or comics) to hide away, and never touch them again. But, I must admit, since the Matheson purchase I've seriously considered what I should do with it. Should I get a safe? Do I need to wear gloves when I read it?

I literally put myself on the waiting list purely as a lark, and I'm reaping the paranoia that comes with that impetuous decision.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: Do the advanced copies that are sent out before the actual release of a book have similar worth to First Editions or are they generally worth more or less?
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
They tell me advance proofs, especially if they're corrected by the writer, are worth something to collectors. An advanced edition, especially if it has something deleted from later printings, would be valuable, too.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Ebay has been good to me. I picked up the entire 1977 year of Analog, including the first print of Enders Game, for $20 and a Good Condition first edition, only printing (1500 printed) of the Paolini Press Eragon for $60 and I found an autographed first edition of The Dolphins of Pern for $5 at my local bookstore.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I got the entire 1977 run of Analog...from late 1976 to late 1977, one at a time, by subscription and by mail. Don't remember what the subscription rate was at the time, but I think the cover price total wouldn't have been twenty dollars total.

Merry reading...as I recall through misty memories, that was a pretty good year for stories in Analog...

History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a number of first editions I happened to pick up by luck when I was young, and more as I grew older and gained discretionary income. I would say some of my prized items include limited editions of The King of Elfland's Daughter and Don Rodriguez: The Chronicles of Shadow Valley both by signed by Lord Dunsany in his trademark quill pen and also signed by artist Sidney Sime.

Other signed first editions I've gathered include early portfolio editions by Clark Ashton Smith such as The Double Shadow and Others (including some hand corrections by Smith of print errors!). I'm also a collector of Ray Bradbury, Fritz Leiber, H.P. Lovecraft and his fellow Weird Tale authors. I've an Asimov signed edition or two, a number of signed Brian Lumley, Stephen King, a whole set of Michael Moorcock, Andre Norton, Gene Wolfe, Tanith Lee, Neil Gaimen, Harlan Ellison, Phillip Jose Farmer, L. Sprague De Camp, Roger Zelazny, and (of course) Orson Scott Card, etc.

In recent years, my acquisition rate has declined severely--a combination of running out of room as well as items to collect that interest me. While I'll read new authors, they don't have the same wonder and awe, no holy patina, that the authors above did for me in my youth.

A sad thing is I realiize I will likely not live long enough to read them all again. Worse, my attention span is growing shorter--but I believe this is a societal problem and not something to blame on my aging. I planned to read more as I started giving up my Administrative duties for my Group, my hospital clients, and the state and national medical societies that have occupied me the last three decades.

I selected stacks of books and placed them on the marble end table by my leather chair, the one a few feet from the living room hearth. Putting on my slippers, I poured myself a glass of port and settled myself comfortably. But instead of picking up Tales of Three Hemispheres, I placed my netbook on my lap, lifted the screen, and began to type.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have some first edition Hardy Boys, and a first edition (US, not UK, unfortunately) of The Silmarillion. And I think my copy of Misery (my favorite of King's books) is a first edition. I buy a lot of old used books, since my local antique shop has a massive book section, and I regularly walk out with grocery bags full of them, so perhaps some of those are first editions.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
First edition of Misery made me laugh. Let me guess, leatherbound?
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

Nah, that canvas stuff.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
First editions... I don't actually collect them, but by chance I've got quite a few. Most aren't anything special, being late-1800s novels or "first edition paperbacks" (mostly old ACE "shorties"). However a couple standouts:

Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence -- first public edition. (There was a previous private edition.) Paid $3 for it.

A complete works of Byron from about 1845 (including his collected correspondence; the man's pen never stopped moving!) -- in leather binding and microscopic print. It bears an owner's mark dated "Boston 1847". Paid $5 for it. When I googled the owner's name I found he was a well-known person in his day and there were still descendants around; might be fun someday to get in touch. "Hey, I've got your great-great granddad's book!"

Oh, and I almost forgot <g> ... an advance reading copy of Lost Boys, apparently signed by OSC (if his signature is kinda round-looking). Picked that one up off a freebie table!!

[This message has been edited by Reziac (edited December 24, 2010).]

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

(if his signature is kinda round-looking)
It is indeed. He's got several O's and S's and C's, all nice round letters. I've always envied people who have names that lend themselves well to signatures.

That reminds me, I've got a fair number of Card's first editions, but mostly more recent (2000s) books. My big prize, though, is my autographed Israeli edition of EG.

[This message has been edited by EP Kaplan (edited December 24, 2010).]

Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, so my signed OCS curiosity is the real thing Odd book. I read the whole thing in a single sitting.

Anyone else here ever work out what a character's sig looks like? My MC apparently got into a fight with a box of Pik-Up-Stix.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.