Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » 1st editions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 1st editions
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I visited Portland, Oregon this weekend and visited Powells Books there. They have a rare book room and they had first editions Enders Game, Stranger in a Stranger Land, and a signed Ray Bradbury (Sorry cant remember which title), but the prize of the collection made me drool a bit...

First edition The Hobbit, for a cool 9k.

Anyone have rare 1st editions that are the centerpiece of their library?

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I have 2 signed books not by anyone special just authors I happened to meet and talk to in person.

I also have a copy of a book I contributed to (not fiction but an essay on Gaiman's Sandman)the reviews ofthe book universally trashed my essay, probably because I was trained as an art analyst not a literature analyst, so I'm not too proud of it.

Those are much more special (to me at least) than something I could resell for $9K.

I do have my mom's 1960s boxed edition of LOTR, not a first but the first legit edition available in the US I beleive. I have a first of The Silmarillion, but that is not so unusual as the printing was huge. I do love the real fold out maps though. Nice to hold-in-your-hand reading books those are.

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
My only autographed is a paperback Marine Sniper, with a personal autograph to me by G/Sgt Carlos Hathcock...any marines out there will know who that is.

With you on the LOTR...I would treasure anything that was from a parents collection.

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited November 02, 2009).]

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a Bartlett's that's over 120 years old? (1882 -- eighth edition)
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
1st Editions:

Bones of the Hills by Conn Iggulden
The Gunslinger by Stephen King
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by (our own) Jamie Ford
Dreamer of Dune by Brian Herbert
Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell (note the spelling is not the US version "Agincourt").
Tides of War by Steven Pressfield
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Memnon by Scott Oden
A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
A Feast for Crows George R. R. Martin
Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
Crossroads of Twilight Robert Jordan
Queen of Bedlam by Robert R. McCammon
Blood Rock by James Jackson
Blood Brothers by Brian Lumley
The Last Aerie by Brian Lumley
Bloodwars by Brian Lumley
Ai! Pedrito! by L. Ron Hubbard and Kevin J. Anderson
White Raven by Robert Low
Imperium by Robert Harris
Dune: The Battle of Corrin by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
Horizon Storms by Kevin J. Anderson
Paul of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson (Signed by KJA)
The Last Days of Krypton by Kevin J. Anderson (signed)
Enemies and Allies by Kevin J. Anderson (signed)
Terra Incognita: Edge of the World by Kevin J. Anderson (Advanced reader's copy, signed.)
The Tommyknockers by Stephen King
The Aquitaine Progression by Robert Ludlum
Floating Dragon by Peter Straub
Chindi by Jack McDevitt
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling (the last gift my mother got me before she died.)
and The Saint Wanted for Murder by Leslie Charteris (1931)

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling (the last gift my mother got me before she died.)

Very nice!

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited November 03, 2009).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My only autographed is a paperback Marine Sniper, with a personal autograph to me by G/Sgt Carlos Hathcock...any marines out there will know who that is.

I'm not a marine--though I'm polishing a historical fiction about one of the original marines--but I know who he is. Actually, the History Channel told the story of him shooting an enemy sniper through the scope--which in turn meant the enemy had him in his sights, too!

PS - I'm not a fan of Rowling's; it's in my collection because of the sentimental attachment. I haven't even cracked it open.

Now, I expect Robert will blow my list of first editions away.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited November 03, 2009).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a whole bunch of 1st Edition Hardy Boys novels, and a US first of The Silmarillion. Misery, by King, and quite a few Cards (nothing cool like EG, though). I might have some others, but that would involve opening a lot of books to their first page.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never collected books as collector's items---I've always bought them to be read. Still, I've got a couple of things that would probably be worth something if I hadn't'a read them to death. Don't expect a lengthy list from me.

Of course, I've collected, on and off, stamps, coins, and baseball cards, mostly for the joy of having them, not as investments. (I've got a rookie card of Mike Schmidt and Ron Cey and some other guy who didn't make it; its value has varied on the lists I've seen from two hundred to two thousand dollars. In my heart of hearts, I can't believe it's worth anything.)

As for books...well, I bought any number of things as soon as I saw them, so probably there are some first editions among them. I think the edition I bought of The Silmarillion is a first edition, but I can't be sure.

Autographed editions, well...I've never sought out anybody to get an autograph, but a few have wandered into my collections, mostly unique editions that I wanted to read that came with an autograph plate or somesuch. (Awhile back, sifting through my collection, I found a book autographed by Newt Gingrich. Can't remember where I bought it...don't know why it's autographed.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

inarticulate- I read one Harry Potter book to get her sense of style and see what everyone was clammering about.

I liked that edition to your collection because of where it came from...my mother died when I was 15 so that sort of stood out to me.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Dark Warrior, it's a damned shame to lose a parent at an early age (at all really, though it's inevitable). My father went when I was 14 months old, so I had to learn how to be a man, young. It's never easy.

Robert, you surprise me. Lol. I thought you'd regale us with a Christmas wish-list. But, I know the feeling about having read books to tatters. I have had many copies of Boy's Life by Robert McCammon, Ender's Game, the entire Necroscope series (the original series, not the extended one), Tarzan of the Apes, Eye of the World, The Man Who Never Missed, Assassin's Apprentice, and numerous Conan pastiches.

I don't much like to read hardbacks; I'm much more comfortable with paperbacks. I guess it's a holdover from my comic-collecting days to buy a collector's copy and a reader copy. I don't do that with all of the books I have, in fact I have over 500 paperbacks, maybe about thirty-or-so Hardbacks.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's well established that I have massive and disorganized piles of books everywhere in my home, that someday will fall on me and crush me to death like the Collyer Brothers. One of these days, I'm really going to have to check out storage for what I don't read every day.

I was a paperback reader and devotee of used bookstores (I used to work in one, actually), until prosperity hit me in the late 1980s and I gradually switched over to brand-new hardcovers.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Picked up a 1st edition LORD FOULS BANE and RETURN OF THE KING. Thought I had a 1st PLANET CALLED TREASON but it was a book club edition.

Keeping my eye on a 1st DRAGONFLIGHT, its a bit pricey for me right now though.

Still looking for a 1st SPELL FOR CHAMELEON and and wishlisting an ENDERS GAME 1st.

skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few first edition Harry Potter books.

Harry Potter and the Philosphers Stone --1st Edition, 23 print--so not worth much, but it has the young wizard's image on the back and all the editing mistakes, which they cleared up in later printings.

HP and prisoner of Azkaban (X2)--1st Edition, 1st Print.

A couple of Ian M. Banks - (Algebraist in hardcover, can't remember the other one)

A few Carlos Castenada first editions of later books.

You have to make sure they are first edition, first print or they pretty much are worth nil.

Inside the cover you will see a list of numbers like:

20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 10 9 8 7

Whatever number it stops on is the print number.

So it can be a first edition, 2nd print and be worth nothing.

The exception is very famous books where later prints of first editions are worth something as time ticks by--that's why I'm keeping JKR's Philosopher's Stone later printing.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited November 07, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There's a little more to it than that...sometimes the first edition of, say, a Stephen King book, will be a limited run by a small publisher...usually there's a notation somewhere on the page about it...then the mass market edition comes (theoretically) later...
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
Whatever number it stops on is the print number.

So it can be a first edition, 2nd print and be worth nothing.

The exception is very famous books where later prints of first editions are worth something as time ticks by--that's why I'm keeping JKR's Philosopher's Stone later printing.

yeah, I was looking at a STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND 1st but its 8th impression. Still collectible but I will pass for a 1st/1st

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Picking a book at random---'cause it happens to be here in my so-called office where I can get it---I find my copy of In Joy Still Felt, the second volume of Isaac Asimov's massive memoirs, from 1980. The last line on the copyright page says "FIRST EDITION." So that mean's that is a first edition, I guess.

Mind you, I've pretty much read this copy to death---according to my notes on a slip in the book, that might've once been the original receipt---I've read it forty-five times from cover to cover, and the cover and spine look it. The dust jacket isn't there---I've got it somewhere---and that, too would lower the value.

If it has any value, that is...first you have to persuade somebody that it's worth something and then you have to sell it to them.

But if I did, I wouldn't have it anymore, would I, now?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

According to what I just read on Amazon-dot-com, copies of In Joy Still Felt are selling from seventeen dollars to one hundred eighty dollars...the only one listed as a first edition is going for seventy-nine dollars. I know I didn't pay that much for it...
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Just received my first edition Lord Foul's Bane today, and picked up the rare self-published first edition of Eragon Which will probably be my centerpiece for a while.
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Who wants a book you're scared to open for fear of devaluing it? If I want an expensive dust-collector I can do much better, aesthetically.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Like my 400 ft Spruce Goose replica.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:
Who wants a book you're scared to open for fear of devaluing it?

A Collector.

We usually buy two copies: one to read and the other to keep for value. I usually buy a hardback only if it's a first addition, other than that, I'll buy the paperback (which I'm more comfortable reading anyway).

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

I got an autographed, authors copy, 1st of Nimisha's Ship by Anne McCaffrey today.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Belatedly...I remembered where and why I have that Newt Gingrich autographed book. He was signing books at a store in the Mall of America, a couple of weeks before I visited...I bought the copy from them. Never read it, though I have read others he wrote. (I enjoyed some of his collaborations with William Forstchen (not certain of the spelling of his name, somehow, even though I looked it up), particularly his alternate history of events after the Battle of Gettysburg.)
Zero
Member # 3619

I admit I don't understand the mentality of collectors, so my opinion isn't worth much. But to me it just seems like a waste of perfectly good resources, artifically inflating demand so nice shiny things can just sit around not benefitting anyone.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited November 17, 2009).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:
admit I don't understand the mentality of collectors...

Clearly.

As evinced by:

quote:
seems like a waste of perfectly good resources, artifically inflating demand so nice shiny things can just sit around not benefitting anyone.

Zero, by now I thought you'd have learned the importance of perception. If the demand is there, it's not artificial--no matter what the reason is for that demand. I have seen very few books that can be competently called "shiny things" (and I don't have any of those). As to the benefit, well, that is also a matter of opinion. Each time I escape into a story, it makes my life better, richer. In twenty years, my paperbacks may be "read to tatters" or "out of print", but I'll still have those hardbacks.

Not all collectors are fanatics, and there's as many reasons for collecting as what you can collect. It's presumptious to devalue something like that so offhandedly.

Then I wonder, what is the purpose of your Spruce Goose? Do you actually play with it?

Zero
Member # 3619

You seriously want to have a row over my opinion pf packratting?

quote:
Zero, by now I thought you'd have learned the importance of perception. If the demand is there, it's not artificial--no matter what the reason is for that demand.

Um ... no offense but, where were you the last two years? Ever heard of speculative bubbles. Like in say, the housing market! And gasoline! Did you think gas prices went from $2 to $4 over the months and then dropped to just above $1 overnight? Oh yeah that can be explained by natural changes in people's driving habits. Ha! Same deal with houses.

Any purchase of something, for any reason, is going to increase demand. In my opinion buying a book for the sole purpose of letting it sit around unread and/or unreadable is a waste of a perfectly good resource. True your demand is not artificial, presumably you're getting some kind of utility out of it, or think you are, somehow. But what you're also doing is making it so more books have to be printed to satisfy the appetite of people who actually want to read the thing.

And that's good for writers and publishers. And there probably isn't enough collecting going on to really make much of a difference on the price tag. But, technically, you are increasing the demand just so you can keep a trophy.

My opinion, that's silly. Your opinion, that's not silly. Let's not make this any sillier by trying to argue something that's obviously just a difference of opinion.

quote:
It's presumptious to devalue something like that so offhandedly.

And...?

quote:
Then I wonder, what is the purpose of your Spruce Goose? Do you actually play with it?

I hope you're kidding. Since I obviously don't have a Spruce Goose replica that's bigger than the actual Spruce Goose.

PS No offense intended. I'm just a prickly person.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

I'm shallow, in 50 years when my nephews inherit a collection of books (As well as my childhood collections of baseball cards and comic books) worth billions of Yen, I will be happy that they are happy.

My copy of the self-published 1st Eragon arrived yesterday. I need a nice display case or something to show it off in.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Oh, boy. As if to support my theory on perception, you mistook my post for a "row". Zero, my post was light-handed and lighthearted. (As is this one.)

Comparing collecting books to gas gouging makes about as much sense (to me) as comparing the born-on-date on a bottle of Budweiser to the expiration date of a twinky. What does me buying both a hardback and paperback have to do with price gouging? Yes, it is an opinion, but valid, none-the-less. (As to the cause for fluctuation in gasoline prices, I suspect it has a lot more to do with politics and profit margins than driving habits or "speculative bubbles"; same goes for houses.) Wheeeeee.

As for "wasting resources", how about ceasing to use gold for jewelry? Silver? Diamonds? The millions of dollars that go into testing the consistency of catsup/ketchup? CERN? Colleges--after all, there's a declining job market? Having more than one computer? Buying any car that gets less than 25-30mpg?

(And yes, I was being facetious.)

You don't collect anything? You throw out books when you're done? You have no DVDs, CDs or a single antique? You live a spartan existence?

And, just so you know, I feel there is a huge difference between "packratting" (also known as hoarding) and "collecting". If there is any part of this that I take personal, it's that. A hoarder collects things out of habit and a need to have (like a kleptomaniac cannot resist the urge to take), but once it's there, said item can be forgotten, destroyed, go bad, etc... A collector wishes to preserve something they appreciate in the best possible condition, so that it is there for future generations to appreciate--and generally keeps those collections in meticulous order and good repair.

I'm a little cantakerous today.

And, congratulations, Dark Warrior.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited November 17, 2009).]

Zero
Member # 3619

I thought I was clear. The price fluctuations in gas and home values was a criticism of your statement regarding the fundamentals of demand.

I then admitted that point was not relevant to your collecting things. And came to the realization that, indeed, your collecting probably does not influence the price much.

If I wasn't clear before. I should be clear now. Read it again if you don't believe me.

And I don't think you want to debate the economics of the housing market with me, seeing as how I went to college for this very field.

I think there is a failure on your part to understand what a speculative bubble is. It's basically when people start demanding a service or product without actually wanting to benefit form its intrinsic value, rather they want to buy it and sell it for a profit because they expect the demand to keep rising. And the price to keep going up.

And, because of these artifical demanders, it does. But not indefinitely. And eventually the bubble pops. Google: speculative bubble, tulips for a pretty interesting case-study.

What happened with houses was similar but not quite so simple. A lot of people entered the market who shouldn't have and the market forced them back out. But it was a painful process. And made worse because there was a lot of speculation going on. I personally know several people who invested in houses only to sell them months later, and they made a bundle.

---

That said. You make a pretty good argument with jewelry. And yes, I don't really have a leg to stand on for criticizing collectors for collecting. Obviously the pride of having a collection, and being able to show it off, is its own reward. There is utility there. I can't really deny it. You're right.

But since that utility doesn't appeal to me, I'm going to subjectively call it a waste. Even though it really isn't. You're absolutely right.

I concede that point.

I hope there's no bad blood between us.

PS: Yes, I prefer the Spartan existence. It's quick and simple and efficient.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited November 17, 2009).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:
I don't think you want to debate the economics of the housing market with me, seeing as how I went to college for this very field.

Maybe that why I not smrt. Why won't fork get soup to mouth again?

(Sorry, lol, I just couldn't resist.)

Anybody get Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson's The Gathering Storm. I'll bet it goes into 2nd printing quickly. If it hasn't already...

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited November 17, 2009).]

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
Anybody get Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson's The Gathering Storm. I'll bet it goes into 2nd printing quickly. If it hasn't already...

No, I havent gotten it yet. I thought about getting a copy in the airport but didnt want to lug it around. I did order autographed copies of Hidden Empire for each of my nephews though.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Also, in reply to motivation for collection, I have several; passing on to nephews, investment, it's just cool to have a piece of history, but the main one for me is emotional. I only get 1st editions of books that mean something to me. For example, I have over 30 novels from the Magic of Xanth series but the only 1st I want is the first one A Spell for Chameleon. in 1983 it was the first fantasy book I ever read.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
I think there is a failure on your part to understand what a speculative bubble is

I once wrote a creative writing story in college about a speculative bubble. It was an airpocket at the bottom of the ocean that I would visit to write my SF/F stories.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I didn't think there were thirty books in the Xanth series...I lost track of it long ago, and it never appealed to me that much...

The price of gas at the pump goes up or down based on what the guy who buys the gas for the station has to pay for the next load of gas. That's why it goes up pretty fast when oil rises but takes a while to sweat off the extra dollars-and-cents. I wouldn't compare it to book collecting. ("Vintage" gas...hmm...)

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
I didn't think there were thirty books in the Xanth series...I lost track of it long ago, and it never appealed to me that much...

The 33rd in the series Jumper Cable came out last month. I got lost in the 20's. Fun reading when I was a teen, but as an adult, and after so many books the puns are more draining than they are humorous for me. I actually like his Apprentice Adept and Bio of a Space Tyrant series better at this stage of my life.

Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies in advance, but I couldn't resist:

I admit I don't understand the mentality of video game players, so my opinion isn't worth much. But to me it just seems like a waste of perfectly good resources, artifically inducing stress situations so people who could be benefiting society can just sit around playing video games and not benefitting anyone.

But then, I get my artificially induced stress situations from sitting around reading books and not benefitting anyone.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
I once wrote a creative writing story in college about a speculative bubble. It was an airpocket at the bottom of the ocean that I would visit to write my SF/F stories.

I should have seen this coming.

quote:
The price of gas at the pump goes up or down based on what the guy who buys the gas for the station has to pay for the next load of gas. That's why it goes up pretty fast when oil rises but takes a while to sweat off the extra dollars-and-cents. I wouldn't compare it to book collecting. ("Vintage" gas...hmm...)

Don't you know, having a glass bottle of 1976 gasoline is a real hit among the blue-bloods.

Corky,
That's an interesting point. And as one who did not grow up with video-games, I sympathize with you. But in another sense, I'm not sure I agree.

Now, I'm not sure what kinds of video game syou're talking about. So, sticking to story-themed ones where a player goes through a world with a single main-character, sometimes with a team. I could see a lot of parallels drawn between that and reading a book.

Obviously I think the book is much better. Broadens vocabularly, requires more creativity on the part of the reader (they have to imagine the world, etc), and it's better on your eys---I think. But by reading a books with a lot of suspense or conflict, which we usually like quite a bit, we are artifically creating situations of stress for ourselves. We get nervous and afraid for our characters. We mourn when some of them die. Etc. But through all of that artificial concern we somehow lessen or delay our real life concerns, which is part of the appeal of the books (and games).

Isn't that interesting?

BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I have what I think is the 1905 first edition of Jack London's The Game signed by Kingsley Fairbridge. It's seen better days, but I somehow feel a sense of history with it more than most of my other old books.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
but I somehow feel a sense of history

nice!

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I might not have many 1st editions, but I do have some that were limited printings.

I have one of the few paperbacks of Star Wars that came out before the movie was released with the original cover... not the movie cover.

I also have both graphic editions of ANOTHER FINE MYTH. Starblaze graphics put it out in two volumns. The 1st volumn (MYTH ADVENTURES one) had a good run, but MYTH ADVENTURES two had a very short run. I had to order it special from the book store, and when I stopped by to see if it was in, they told me that the printing was canceled. That's when I looked at the stack of books that had come in, and there it was. I don't know how many made it into print, but it couldn't have been very many. And I have both volumns.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've got that one, too...I bought it used...and, come to think of it, I might very well have bought it because it was the first edition, after all. So there's at least one I bought as an artifact and not to read---certainly not because Star Wars the novelization was great SF.
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked it up because I thought it looked like a good read. Something was said that it would be coming out as a movie on the back cover. Maybe I've matured since then, but at the time I thought STAR WARS was a fantastic read and a great story. I remember thinking after I read the novel that if they stick even halfway to the original story they'd have a runaway hit on their hands. What a joy to see the movie for the first time and see it was exactly like the book.

I believe my husband and I saw it over 15 times at the theatre. In its day, STAR WARS was absolutely incredible... the first movie to hit the screens using computer special effects. It paved the way for everything else that followed.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The movie was everything the book was not---what plays out on screen doesn't necessarily play well with the written word.

And also, somewhere in the first couple of pages of the book, they talked of a planet as part of a double sun system, with the planet being mistaken for a third sun...if I had read that nonsense before going to see the movie, I might not have gone at all. (There was no trace of that sort of nonsense in the movie itself---just a double-sunned planet.)

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Ordering online still scares me. Even though I haven't been ripped off yet I keep worrying about it.

A first edition/first impression of Return of the King should arrive and the next couple days, and I keep worrying I will open it and see BCE or First Canadian Printing inside.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Grr...my Return of the King first never arrived. I wasnt charged either, but they said they lost my query and it has since been sold.

I did recieve a mint 1st/1st autographed copy of Nimisha's Ship right from Anne McCaffrey's personal collection (Author's Copy)

dougsguitar
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I found four on my shelf:
Beggar on Horseback - Kaufman & Connelly, 1924;
The Fortunes of Captain Blood - Rafael Sabatini, 1936;
In Black and White - Kipling, no date;
The Professor and the Madman - Simon Winchester, 1998.

Aha! I found one more little Jim Dandy;
Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel - story and pictures by, Virginia Lee Burton, 1939.

ADD; I have RA Salvatore - Sea of Swords / signed by the man!
Salvatore - The Highwayman
Also the last six of the Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth series
(How'd I miss these?)

[This message has been edited by dougsguitar (edited January 03, 2010).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Kind of wishing the two gifts for my nephews...1st edition OSC autographed copies of Hidden Empire that were promised to arrive before Christmas would arrive

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited January 03, 2010).]

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Stopped by the famous John L. King bookstore in Detroit today and picked up

Science Fiction-Fantasy: Fantastic
January 1966
Three Wishes by Poul Anderson
and other short stories

The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction
December 1960
Rogue Moon by Algis Budrys
and other short stories

Imagination -Stories of Science and Fantasy
May 1952
The Stranger by Gordon R. Dickson
and other short stories

Astounding Science Fiction
September 1943
Doodad by Ray Bradbury
and other short stories

Aboriginal Science Fiction
Fall 1992
Spin by K.D. Wentworth
and other short stories

All for under $5 a piece

Edward Douglas
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for Edward Douglas   Email Edward Douglas         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite book is THE SILMARILLION, and though I do not have a first edition (I have a first edition, second impression) I did buy my copy at the bookstore in Merton College, Oxford when I was there some years ago. It is my most prized book, only because of the personal attachment I have to it.

I do have a first edition of TO RENEW AMERICA, signed by Newt Gingrich.

Then there is a signed copy of a collection of poems SHOWDOWN AND OTHER POEMS by MacPhelan Reese, which I bought from the author, who had self-published the book and was selling copies at a card table in the Sam T. Rayburn Library, Bonham, Texas when my wife and I toured there in 2000. The author of the works was 94 years old at the time, and was the library's writer-in-residence. I still remember the conversation about writing that he and I shared. There is a quote from the author of the book's forward that has stayed close to me.

"Mac [MacPhelan Reese] has been writing all his life, not necessarily with publication in mind. His writing has always been a compulsion, just as his reading has been. It refreshes him." -- John Rainey

Posts: 133 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.