Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » TEN YEARS GONE. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TEN YEARS GONE.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a Blue-Ray/PS3 and I'm watching The Matrix as I write this. It is amazing how much things have changed technology-wise in just 10 years. Keanu is sitting at a cubicle with a CVT monitor and talking into a cell-phone that is bigger than his hand. The land phones all have chords connecting the receivers. Now this is not all that unusual, except that he "works for a top software company", which should be one of the most technologically advanced places to work.

Ten years ago DVD and plasma TVs were just appearing (I don't recall seeing any LCD screens). The Nintendo 64 and The Playstation (1) were the top video game systems. Portable DVD players and laptops cost over a $1000 dollars. I bought a top of the line desktop that year, with 20 GB of memory (I think) and a CD-writer, for $1800.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard it said that ten years ago the internet was about a terabyte. Now my father has a terabyte of space that he has no idea how to use.

(And I remember when a salesman tried to talk my mom out of a five megabyte hard drive, because he said she'd never use it. She couldn't figure out why the salesman was trying to talk her out of buying something.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I was a kid, we had kinda a home video system. It consisted of a film projector, and two reels of film. One was of some baseball highlights, the other was an excerpt from an Abbott and Costello movie. Both were silent; if the films had soundtracks we had no way of hearing them. And, as a kid, I had no way of getting anything more...recording anything, say, off the TV signal, was right out.

You've come a long way, baby...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm certain it was more than a terabyte. Which would be only 200,000 copies of a single song. (MP3 format).
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, when I was 12 I used a typewriter to write school papers, and I got in trouble because they were not in the right font or font size. I hated explaining to my teachers that I used a typewriter, I actually had to drag the damn thing to school to prove to them that I used one. I damn my family that we didn’t have a computer to do my work.

That was 11 years ago. Now I cant find ribbon for it.

RFW2bd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dougsguitar
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
yeah this goes back a bit further than ten years ago... I saw a presentation once where the speaker held up a recordable birthday card, $2.50, and explained that it held more computing power than what they landed the first moon landing with. My Dad worked on the first moonshot and said he did not doubt the truth of the claim. I remember watching all that stuff on black and white TV... along with Gone With the Wind.

add; BTW - in 1976 only about a thousand people were on the internet. (see the intro of the concert DVD 'Cat Stevens - Magikat for confimation)I know, I know... more than ten years ago... sorry. Decades are going by very quickly now, my 5th will come in May. GASP!

[This message has been edited by dougsguitar (edited January 11, 2010).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That was 11 years ago. Now I cant find ribbon for it.

I'm gonna pass something on that somebody told me when I complained about the same thing. Try searching the web. Putting "typewriter ribbons for sale" on Google produced a number of places---one of them might have what you need.

(I haven't availed myself of the privilege, but I have searched and then bought other things. When I couldn't find a Mindfold around I went online and bought five of them direct from the manufacturer.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks i found ribons but i cant remember the right size for it.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I Typed all of my college term papers on a typewriter (My Commodore 64 didn't print all that pretty) - I sure wish we had MS Word back then. All of you who grew up with "functional" computers really had it made.

I have two Ataris in storage - one is the standard 2600 and the other plays Pong and pinball.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
...but i cant remember the right size for it.

Try finding it by the typewriter model; that's how it's usually done.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

i have an compaq 3000 that runs Windows 4.0 and DOS on it in storage. unforchently the key bord is broke and finding the right size plug thing is hard.

i also have my type writer in storage and i can not remember what modle it is, and what is also funy they are right next to eachother.

RFW2nd

[This message has been edited by Rommel Fenrir Wolf II (edited January 15, 2010).]

Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
.......Remember Pog?
Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you mean pong? or the game of flipping milk caps? Or Passionfruit Orange Guava, which is a divine drink? Either way my answer is yes, I do remember. Now I'm going to have to go find some pog, I'm thirsty.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I remember in the 1990s people were nostalgic for the 1970s...which bothered me because in the 1970s people were nostalgic for the 1950s...

Think anybody'll be nostalgic for the decade just passing?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Wait a minute, wasn't that RFWII's original point?
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

i miss the ROMAN EMPIRE.

oh the glory days when life was simple and Werewolves out numbered humans

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.