Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » TV shows and movies (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: TV shows and movies
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
How pompous can you get!!! Shatner didn't change the world, Gene Roddenbery did. It just blows my mind that Shatner thinks he did it all! Did you ever see him walk on water? I bet he thinks he can.

And you know what's so inferiating is that I think the world of James T. Kirk but can't stand Shatner. I said this once to a friend and she tried to tell me they were one and the same. And I said they weren't. One is a real person, the other a fictional character. Shatner is at the top of my sh** list and will be for a long, long time.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
A bit off topic, but yes, Shatner does think highly of himself. For many years, some of his co-actors apparently held silent disdain for him. Then, when Trek became chic again, they all (except for Nimoy) came out with books denigrating him. Shatner, from what I hear, went to most of them and apologized. He was aparently unaware of any of their feelings about him.

Since then, he has "played-up" his reputation as being an egomaniac. I must say he has tackled the whole situation with quite a bit of self-deprecation and aplomb. The title of the movie How William Shatner Changed the World is a send-up to his less than admirable reputation. I can assure you, however, that he gives all credit to Roddenberry and other ST writers.

The movie Galaxy Quest, also indirectly addressed Shatner's relationship with the rest of the cast.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that Shatner wasn't first choice to play the captain---Jeffrey Hunter was. (Found out recently that Jeffrey Hunter was also first choice to play the father on "The Brady Bunch," too...)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
No arguement here Crystal. Even as the host he was fairly obnoxious. I allowed my imagination to conjure visions of WS having to bribe the crew to keep working with him long enough to get the thing filmed. At one point it looked like Seven of Nine was going to throw him out of her door... uhmm, kinda.
The actual film was how Star Trek (AKA Gene R.) changed the world by influencing grown up Trekkies like myself to invent the cool devices they used; flip cell phone, etc.

I have never seen a single thing outside S.T. I could handle HIM in.

General comment - There are actually two people on record as having walked on water and Shatner was neither...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Walking on Water

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited November 20, 2010).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I tried hard, but I couldn't find any videos of Shatner walking on water. This was the closest I could come:

Best of Shatner

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh for Pete's sake. Surely, you know my comment about "walking-on-water" was sarcasm ?
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention that he has gotten fat.

But I heard he had a lot of fans in that one series he did the last couple of years.

And does that mean you all didn't like his nude scene? I think it was before he got so fat.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Of some relevance to this discussion is this article from The Weekly Standard last September.

https://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/age-shatner

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I think philo got the intent of your comments, Crystal. I think he's having some fun.

And I recently bought a book that has Shatner's autograph. The publisher of the book indicated that it took some doing to get Shatner to autograph the things, and that he would only do it for the lettered edition, not the numbered edition. Which also explains the price. (Now if I can just find some way to get John Lithgow to sign it.)

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

Yep, I know, Rich. That's why I put the smiley face at the end of my post .
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmmm, I guess no one else knows about those two other remakes either.

Seems like someone would have mentioned them somewhere in the movie making business.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

OW ow ow

Just watched the trailer for Green Lantern, Cowboys and Aliens and Battle:LA

Not quite space adventures but all three look good. Green Lantern has some of it happening in space and I recognized some of the GLs They're using the ones from the comics. Including the one that turns renegade. Not sure about Hal, he seems a bit more happy go lucky but still. Finally GL. More excited about that than I was for Iron Man.

Cowboys has Harrison Ford in it, and Spielburg(?), it has to be better than the name implies. And that wrist contraption. Love that scene where the thing refolds back to its original position and Ford looks at the guy who wears it.

And Battle well, if its as good as the trailer implies it will be worth watching but we shall see if it really is.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, the best thing I've ever seen Shatner in was an episode of The Twilight Zone called "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet"...for those of you who haven't seen it, it's about a guy (Shatner) who's recovering from illness and takes a plane flight, then sees a demonic creature tinkering with the engine. By far the best acting I've ever seen him do---and I've seen Shatner in a lot of things.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that episode when I was a kid, and it haunted me for years. I can remember walking out on the school playground during recess and cringing when I heard a plane fly overhead.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

That episode was remade for Twilight Zone: The Movie, but I've also seen the original Shatner version several times (I might even have it. Not sure - I'm not home at the moment). Anyway, my wife now hates that episode because every time we fly I'll spontaneously look at her and say, "There's some...THING on the wing!"

I'm not even sure if the Shat actually said that in the episode. I believe he parodied it himself in one of the Airplane movies, and it was also parodied in Ace Ventura 2/

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Yeah, they redid it for the movie, starring John Lithgow...when Shatner guested on 3rd Rock from the Sun, they inserted a joke about it. (Along the lines of "Miserable flight...saw this creature tinkering with the engine"..."The same thing happened to me!")
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the book I bought.

And the 3rd Rock episode was great. They're waiting for the 'Big Head' (Shatner) to come in on a flight, and that's when they do the joke. Good stuff.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

How about the Mission Impossible no I think Man From U.N. C.L.E. ep he played with Nimoy (?) ?

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited November 25, 2010).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I remember Shatner and Nimoy appearing together in an episode of Mission: Impossible after Star Trek: The Original Series went off the air...Nimoy had become a regular on it...as I recall, Shatner played an aging mobster who the MI team conned into thinking he was reliving his younger years---for what purpose, I forget.

I read a book once about Desilu Studios, the original home of both series. Among many other extremely interesting things, it came out that Mission: Impossible continuously blew its budget and came in late, whereas Star Trek always came in on time and on budget. You would've thought it would be the other way 'round, wouldn't you?

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Its been a very long time but I recall one ep that would have been shot before TOS or they were made to look older in TOS and they both played bit parts or one step above a bit part.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And of course there's "Tron" the sequel.

And some Anime and other types of animation space SF. Some of which have been listed.

There was one group doing an animated version of a lesser known series by David Weber. On their web site they discussed what they were doing, showed examples of the artwork they were going to use, and gave status updates but I lost the link to their site a two or so years ago and so have never heard if they finished the project. They also never, as far as I could find, discussed how they were going to sell the finish product.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

New show on SyFy "Being Human" about a ghost, vampire, werewolf who have to pretend to be human. two guys and a girl. Bet its the girl who is the ghost. Might be interesting but me no got cable.

From the picture I saw of them, I thought it might be some type of space show...all they needed was uniforms- Star Trek maybe. But some type.

Not sure why, most be the way they stood as well as the expressions on their faces. But that seems to be the current look for TV shows.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Funny...my first thought, from the ads, was that the show involved "space aliens" living secretly on earth, not vampires and whatnots...a couple of reviews disabused me of this notion...I'm disappointed...I probably wouldn't have watched it anyway but now I'm pretty sure I won't.

I gather it's from a British show, that (predictably) the British show is better, and that it's popping up on BBC America. But you'd need cable or satellite to see either version

Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually like all three of the Stargate series on SF, SG1, Atlantis and the new Stargate Universe.

Battlestar Gallactica was good, but got a little mystical at the end.

The Warehouse 13 and Eureka series are also good on Sci Fi, but in a more tongue in cheek kind of way.

I also like the new series based on Stephen King's "The Colorado Kid" books Haven. SyFy is also doing some good movies on their site.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

There's a new movie with scenes that look like streampunk. "Sucker Punch"

Not sure about it because the blurb says it takes place in one girl's fantasy land. So does that mean none of it really is happening and she is just day dreaming about escaping her fate?

Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
It happens on two different levels, and I must admit it's cleverly done.

Too cheesy for my palate though.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool thread.
Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There's a report that Shatner is now a billionaire. I'm dubious, but here's the link:

http://briansullivan.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2011/03/29/william-shatner-stock-market-billionaire?test=faces

redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they would do more miniseries and not just for cable. In the 80s we got treated to V, Shaka Zulu, Shogun, North and South, along with an assortment of Sidney Sheldon's stories. I think the format would work so well for Fantasy and Sci-Fi books.

I personally would love to see the Solomon Kane stories by Robert E. Howard adapted into a miniseries.

Maybe Shatner with his supposed billions can produce

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Then there's "Game of Thrones." Taken from a book. By George R.R. Martin.

But it's one cable: HBO.

Glad that there is a fantasy show on nTV...glad it was taken from a book.

But as I have complained about before it's the wrong blasted book.

I read bestsellers, some that are very popular, but they hardly ever make a TV show or Movie from one I like. Usually like this one it's one I have never read or even seen.

But as soap operish- a lot of sex, corruption, murder and such, as it is I probably wouldn't watch it even if I got HBO.

redux
Member # 9277

Just finished watching the first episode of "Game of Thrones." I'm not sure I liked it. Too many characters with no one to focus on or root for. It reminded me of a line from Macbeth - full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

That article in my local paper mentioned the first ep. It didn't describe what was happening in those words but it did sound like it was going to be busy. But supposedly it settles down after the introductions. But we shall see, or that is some will see.
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, redux, from your description, the HBO version of GAME OF THRONES sounds as if it's being true to the book.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry boys, love the books, love the show.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Foste- love the books, love the show. Good stuff!
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

I took a peek at GAME OF THRONES on IMDB and Sean Bean is only in 2 episodes. Now I am really disappointed.

I haven't read the book. I did request a hold on it from my library but the waiting list is long. But if the show is being faithful to the book I am not sure I will like it.

I did enjoy the production value and thought all the actors were very good. It's nice to see the fantasy genre getting the attention it deserves.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Speaking of TV shows. HAA ha

http://www.gocomics.com/garfield/2011/07/05/

Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Game of Thrones, I'd gladly pay a web service to let me watch it legitimately if I could only find one. For some reason HBO doesn't let you stream it unless you pay for their channel, and since I don't have cable or satellite that's really not an option for me .

Anyone know of a way an honest guy can watch the show he's been waiting years to see?

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

You could wait for the inevitable DVD / Blu-Ray. Amazon-dot-com is taking pre-orders, but, as of a few minutes ago, they didn't give a date-of-release...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

You've waited years to see it?? Have they talked about that long?

It sounds like it's doing good even though I haven't seen any ratings, so obviously a lot of people like it but for me they keep picking the wrong novels and the wrong writers to make movies and TV shows from.

On another network instead of Terry Goodkind they should have gotten Terry Brooks. -on a side note I just discovered one maybe two books in his other series, "Kingdom For sale-sold". I lost track of that series a couple of years ago.

There were talks about making David Weber's Honor Harrington series a mini-series but evidently the talks fall through. That would have been good, depending how they did it. I've said this before but a group had been in the process of producing an animated version of another of Weber's series but I lost track of their web site. I wasn't sure about the artwork they were using and I never found any statement if it was for TV or DVD but I would have given it a chance and watched an episode or two.

Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Terry Goodkind was a poor choice for a TV show. I think the biggest problem, though, was that they decided to make an episode by episode Xena clone instead of following the story. But yeah, Sword of Truth was a big disappointment.

I loved the Magic Kingdom of Landover series. Haven't read it for a while but it was fun.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
So I just got my new Cable hooked up, with ATT U-Verse. I have not had the Science Channel in some time, but I love that channel.

In any case, just watched Morgan Feeman's Through the Wromhole

Talk about a show that can spark you imagination for a story or two.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have heard of that TV show but don't know anything about it.

But there's one I keep seeing on Att's home page. Seven Lives of someone. What is that show about beyond what is stated in the title.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Saw Green Lantern Today.

Wow, Niiice special effects.

Not too bad a story either. They changed a few things from the comics but I think kept the basics. At least on how he got chosen and about the guardians.

Except for one very important detail. They kinda of used it but not in the right way.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey they did a John Carter of Mars movie. I think it will be released next year even though I'm not positive.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Some early reviews---of the trailer, I guess---say "John Carter of Mars" looks bad. I dunno...my guess is it probably lacks the constant nudity that made the Mars books seem so interesting when I was sixteen...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And a new "Blade Runner" either a prequel or a sequel probably without Ford.

But the same director.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I haven't watched the trailer for Carter so I can't say but as we know many times they get it wrong when the make a book into a movie.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Some new shows on TV that might be SF or close enough. But I only read a one sentence blurb so I'm not sure about them. But There's Terre Nova I think. And two shows with fairy take connects. Grimm which sounds like the title has a double meaning. And one where the fairy tale characters live in modern times. That one sort of sounded like a comedy but as I said with one sentence I couldn't be sure.

A good UF series would be good though. I think they had and may still do have a couple of paranormal shows but that's not quite the same thing. And most are on cable.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.