Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » TV shows and movies (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: TV shows and movies
theworldinthewords
Member # 5483

- posted      Profile for theworldinthewords   Email theworldinthewords         Edit/Delete Post 
Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror Shows:

1) Game of Thrones (HBO)
2) True Blood (HBO)
3) Grimm (NBC)
4) American Horror Story (FX)
5) Once Upon A Time (ABC)
6) Falling Skies (TNT)
7) Supernatural (CW)
8) Terra Nova (Fox)
9) The Secret Circle (CW)
10) Vampire Diaries (CW)

Just to name a few, some harder, some lighter. I've taken the liberty of mixing in some horror material too since it's all speculative fiction.

Posts: 31 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of some of those. But not all.

Still not sure what some of the new ones are about.

But changing to movies it looks like they are doing a new "Thing" .

With all of the comics to movies they have done when I first saw the title I thought it might be the "Swamp Thing" but it was the movie they have made twice already. I never saw the second one so I probably won't this one.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
LDW - 1982's The Thing was really more of a sequel, but I've heard it was more faithful to the source material. I liked it - it was very different from the 50's version.

Here's a Fall sci-fi schedule (not including HBO - sorry):

Monday @ 8pm (Fox) - Terra Nova (time-travelers live with dinosaurs) *LOOKS GREAT
Monday @ 9pm (Syfy) - Warehouse 13 (X-Files meets Indiana Jones)
Monday @ 10pm (Syfy) - Alphas (Dysfunctional X-Men)

Thursday @ 8pm (CW) - The Vampire Diaries (Vampire 90210)
Thursday @ 9pm (CW) - The Secret Circle (Witch 90210)
- or -
Thursday @ 8pm (CBS) - The Big Bang Theory (not sci-fi, but definitely sci-fi friendly) *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Thursday @ 9pm (CBS) - Person of Interest (Minority Report without Tom Cruise or flying cars)

Friday @ 8pm (NBC) - Chuck (Nerd is superspy due to brain receiving computer download)
Friday @ 9pm (NBC) - Grimm (modern fairy-tale police procedural)
- or -
Friday @ 8pm (CW) - Nikita (based on near future sci-fi thriller - similar to Alias)
Friday @ 9pm (CW) - Supernatural (Harry Dresden as two brothers)
- or -
Friday @ 9pm (Fox) - Fringe (X-Files with a mad scientist and parallel universes) *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Sunday @ 8pm (ABC) - Once Upon a Time (Ignorant Fairy-tale creatures live together in Maine)
Sunday @ 9pm (AMC) - The Walking Dead (Zombie apocalypse as weekly drama) *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Falling Skies (War of the Worlds without Tom Cruise) - just ended its season.
Torchwood: Miracle Day (True Blood with everyone immortal but without vampires) - just ended its season

- I think they are trying to make some connection between Sci-Fi fans and watching TV on Friday nights - hmm?

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited September 11, 2011).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

philocinemas Thank you that helps.

Grimm sounds more interesting than the blurb I read.

as does Supernatural. I think I have heard something about it. The brothers come from a family, I think their parents chases demons or some such. Unless they both are wizards-- by any name-- I don't think it's Dresden though. Can't think of it right now but seems like there's another one or three books that would more like it. Unless perhaps you mean the TV Dresden.

Fringe, I've asked about before about but no one seems to know anything about it.

I was wondering if "Person of Interest" was like "Minority Report".
I wouldn't mind giving a couple of those a try except it would be during my writing time and I don't have cable. I know I can get some on various web sites. But I downloaded the first Warehouse a few months ago and still haven't touched it.

And I didn't know the '82 Thing was a sort of sequel, I thought it was a remake.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, Doctor Who airs on BBC America on Saturday nights.

I'll keep watching Chuck. I love how much fun that show is.

As for the new genre stuff this season, I have no interest in any of it. I'll give Ringer a shot because it stars Sarah Michelle Gellar and I'm a big Buffy fan. That's about it.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I am often weary of new shows, but Terra Nova seems to have a lot of promise. Word is, Steven Spielberg has been very hands on in recent months to get it up to where he wanted it. However, this has also involved some rewrites and added scenes, including new CGI. Stephen Lang (the colonel from Avatar) is there to capitalize on last year's movie success.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited September 12, 2011).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

They are doing a Hunger Games movie they hope will have the same size audience as Harry Potter.

And the new Twilight movie will be part Horror flick. More of a grown up Twilight they say.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
and I want to be in every show and movie listed here. Steven Spielberg is rumored to be in discussions with Michigan to film Robopocalypse here. I'll be submitting for that one too! Friends of mine worked on Hunger Games...it was filming in NC while I was down there for OSC Bootcamp...sad I missed out on it.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think if you had worked on it you would be saying that about the bootcamp. [Smile]
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

speaking of Movies. I just watched a few trailers for new movies.

not in any special order:

Battleship--supposedly based on the game but is an alien invasion movie where it looks like one out classed, out sized, battleship is all there is between us an being wiped out.

Avengers-- All the heros, Including Hawkeye- he has a neat bow. and a Lady I don't recognize. Some type of martial arts expert?

Dorothy And The Witches of OZ. Dorothy has suppressed her experiences in OZ but one witch comes to New York to get revenge, bring assorted bad guys including a dragon.

A new Spiderman where it looks like they completely redo the legend. Looks like his dad started the research into transforming people.

The Fairy where someone falls in love with a wish granting fairy --actually I didn't watch that trailer.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
In Avengers, are you talking about Black Widow? Red-haired lady wearing a tight black outfit?
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

They showed only twice and only for a second or so both times but she did have a black outfit and I didn't see the color of her hair.

Even though I do remember a Black Widow in the comics. The one I remember the most is the Red Witch, seems like there were one or two other super hero women though.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
There's been a goodly number of female Avengers. The Wasp, The Scarlet Witch, Black Widow (both of whom have led at times) Sersi, Crystal, Mockingbird, Spider Woman, Ms. Marvel, Mantis, Moondragon, She-Hulk etc etc.

But since Black Widow was already in Iron Man 2, I believe she's going to be the designated woman in the Avengers movies.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish they would include Ant Man and The Wasp. They have some interesting dynamics going on.

I'm intrigued by what I've seen of the Spiderman movie. First and foremost is Gwen Stacy being there and Mary Jane not being there. Second it's called The Amazing Spiderman, which was the original SpiderMan comics. Pity I don't think they can do the original story of his parents because I doubt Marvel will release the Red Skull to them.

[ February 11, 2012, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Pyre Dynasty ]

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treamayne
Member # 9700

- posted      Profile for Treamayne           Edit/Delete Post 
A few comments from the oder part of the thread:

quote:
Ditto all the Dresden comments... I recently picked up the 3 disc first season of the Dresden Files. I was very distracted with the changes, but overall... in a vacumn... I thought it was well done
Well, some of the changes were unaviodable (like changing Karin's name to Connie - this was because CPD in real life has a Karen Murphy serving on the force). Some were because of a visual medium was being used (sets for a basement apartment and sub-basement lab would have been difficult to build/shoot and still have the correct "vibe"). Some I just don't understand, though. It wasn't horrible, was decnt when you divorce yourself from the books. Definitely gave the feel that those stories would have come after the short story "Restoration of Faith" and before "Storm Front" when harry was just getting established. Looking forward to Cold Days, the new novel due out this year.

quote:
Jumper (novel by Steven Gould) - kind of superheroish, but fun.
Jumper was ok, but if you are thinking of reading the books (Jumper is Book 1, Reflex is Book 2) just keep in mind that this is in the same category as the Borne series. The books are old enough that the central storyline just doesn't work for today so it had to be entirely reworked. The books are great, though. And the storyline of book one (from about Half-way, through the end) is very powerful, IMO.

quote:
but a few movies off the top of my head that are better than the books:
The Princess Bride - I'm not a great fan of the movie because it just isn't my type of humor. But the book was so bad, even not liking the movie I thought it was better than the book. It's probably a matter of personal taste, but stopping the story every chapter for odd comments really ruined the book for me. Not to mentione the gimmick at the end on "Buttercup's Baby."

quote:
Fringe, I've asked about before about but no one seems to know anything about it.
Fringe is almost a harder SF version of X-Files. Each episode explores something about "fringe" science (and tries to explain it in science terms). Gene splicing, mutation, ESP, biochemistry of the brain and accessing another's memories, etc. I just watched seasons 1-3 on DVD and thought it was a fairly well done show (like the last scene of the season 1 finale). Characters are intriguing and the way they handle the "Alternate Universe" is interesting. Looking forward to the Season 4 DVD release.

quote:
A new Spiderman where it looks like they completely redo the legend
I think Toby Maguire's series of movies fell prey to the "hollywood-superhero-sharkjumping-curse." Same as the batman movies from the 80s/90s and the new Batman series with Christian Bale is falling to the same curse. Movie 1 - good, movie 2 usually decent but then they feel the need to pack too much into the movie - more villains, less plot and build-up. I think if Spiderman 3 had just used Sandman and the final scene has been the Symbiot falling on Eddie Brock the movie would have been better (less Venom, more time to actually develope Sandman and tighten the plot) and they would have continued that series rather then trying to re-invent it. Again. Batman did the same thing having 2 villains in movie 2 (Catwoman, Penguin), 2 in movie 3 (Riddler, Two-Face), and movie 4 was just unwatchable (trying to add Bat Girl, plus 2-3 villains). Dark knight could have been so much better in the same fashion as Spiderman 3 - but trying to shoe-horn the Two-Face stuff at the end spoiled it some. It was still a good film and Heath Ledger was incredible. But the end was spoiled. Like writing a novel - "finish the story you start." If it had ended with the final Joker scene and left the Two-Face stuff for movie 3 - I think it would have been a stronger film.

quote:
They showed only twice and only for a second or so both times but she did have a black outfit and I didn't see the color of her hair.

Even though I do remember a Black Widow in the comics.

According to IMDB, the Avenger's line-up for the movie is:

Thor, Ironman, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Nick Fury (probably secondary role), Hulk (probably secondary role).

Too bad they didn't get Edward Norton for Bruce Banner though.

Theater Release is 27 Apr 2012.

I don't hold much hope for Dark Knight Rises. Bane and Catwoman and retunring Ra's al Ghul. But we can hope, right.

On a similar note, IMDB now shows most of the Cast for Ender's Game. Another SF title to look forward to on film.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Brief comment...I heard the SciFi newtork, or SyFy, or whatever they're calling themselves, has run (or is about to run) a version of Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth---a cheapie version designed to cash in on the ad campaign for a big-budged theatrical version.

Kinda low, but not unprecedented. (Somebody did the same thing with Titanic, making a movie with a good performance by George C. Scott as the captain, but absolutely no other redeeming features...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Not only not unprecedented, it's pretty much what SyFy does with their movies. They did it with Thor, and others.
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I started reading Spider-man in the late 60's with the issue showing where Pete finally agreed to meet Mary Jane Watson, the neice of Aunt May's best friend, I think her name was Anna Watson. At the time, Pete was very much interested in Gwen Stacy but I think she was more Harry's girl... I think. Hard to remember all the details back that far.

Then through later issues Mary Jane and Harry had a thing going and Pete got in tight with Gwen. They were very much in love to the point Pete was going to ask Gwen to marry him. Mary Jane wasn't even in the equation.

That led to the episode with the Green Goblin that was in the first Toby Mcguire Spider-man movie. Mary Jane wasn't even involved. It was Gwen the Goblin kidnapped when he fought Spidey on the bridge with Spidey finding out at the end the Goblin had killed her.

For several issues, the story was building toward Pete marrying Gwen. After all the hardships Pete faced every issue, the reader was so ready for Pete to have something positive happen in his life... Gwen. The wrench of having her torn away from Pete so brutally angered me so much that I quit reading the comic. And when I found Mary Jane was taking Gwen's place, I hated her for it.

Another thing too: Spider-man worked closely with Captain Stacy, Gwen's dad. He was killed in the line of duty in something that involved Spidey. The man died in Spidey's arms. He called him Peter and asked Pete to keep Gwen safe right before he died.

So, in a way, I feel it's fitting to do the newest movie with Gwen instead of Mary Jane. Mary Jane didn't come along until way later and after Gwen in the comics. I'm fine with that now, but at the time I wanted to strangle every singe person invovled with deciding the time had come to rip Gwen Stacy, the woman that was Pete Parker's entire world, away from him so brutally.

As for this latest version of Spider-man's origin; I don't like what I've seen of it at all. Spder-man's origins is classic... much like Superman's. It should not be altered. Toby Mcguire played the best Spider-man I've ever seen. He's going to be a tough act to follow. The newer version is too much of a change from how it all started... too much for me at least... and I was looking forward to the next movie with the original cast. Why can't they just leave the classics alone and how they were meant to be?

Nuff said.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

From what I'm hearing they may be drawing of a sort of "retconn" of his origins having to do with his parents that was brought out some years ago.

However, I basically agree with you, Crystal. I also don't really understand the need to beat these things into the ground..well, actually, I do understand. They know names like Spider-Man, Batman etc will sell a lot of tickets. I guess that's fine. But I'd like to see more and truer-to-the-source-material movies made with some of the lesser known superheroes. I'm still waiting on Doctor Strange, for example.

Treamayne
Member # 9700

I agree Crystal, I think many lifelong fans were upst that MJ was the lead "love interest" in Toby's movies. I can understand they used her to appeal to the younger crowd that grew up knowing Peter and MJ were married and not knowing his history with Gwen. I think the real insult, though, was using Gwen in the third movie the way they did. That would have been much better if they has used Alicia - so in a later movie we could discover his fleeting romance was with a villan he would have to fight later (Black Cat) and that whole subplot follows the original continuity too.

If I'm not mistaken, Jim Butcher's one Spiderman Novel involved him working with Black Cat again and showing their off and on odd relationship.

And Toby did an excellent job in the duel role - so that will be quite hard to follow up.

quote:
But I'd like to see more and truer-to-the-source-material movies made with some of the lesser known superheroes. I'm still waiting on Doctor Strange, for example.
Concur, but it seems Blade and Ghost Rider are about as obscure as they seem willing to go in Marvel. Outside of Marvel we've had Spawn, Watchers, Sin City but i would like to see Sandman or Gen-13 or one of my favorites - Shadowhawk. The fight with the bigot Hawk's Shadow could be epic and emtional on screen and having, if following the comic, not revealing who Shadow Hawk is until the end would be a nice change from most stories.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

That's what is so weird though, I mean who outside of big comic fans had even heard of Blade or Ghost Rider before their respective movies came out? But we don't see Dr. Strange, or any of the other mutant teams, or a decent Silver Surfer, or anything like that.

And although I was thinking mostly in terms of Marvel specifically, it is odd that they do like all of Alan Moore's somewhat obscure stuff (not that I mind in and of itself) but something like as you say Sandman, which started off Neil Gaiman's whole career gets skipped (although that could also come under the subject of what I feel is a sad lack of treatment for fantasy, other than the big franchises, overall and especially for dark or mythological fantasies.)

Sweet Elbesem, a Sandman series of movies would be so awesome...I need to read the whole series one day but the one I have read, "Season of Mists" is enough to know the awesomeness. I just don't think Hollywood is prepared to deal with characters like the Endless.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I would juggle uranium for a chance to see a good Doctor Strange movie. I want to see Ant Man given proper treatment. He's the coolest guy with the lamest power (he can talk to ants.)

I've got the old ASM scans on a dvd. I agree with you Crystal, the Gwen Stacy scar is one that doesn't really heal. I actually plotted out my own Spiderman comics where she didn't die.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Watched THOR again on DVD and realized that Hawkeye is in it. Just didn't know who he was.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury:
Watched THOR again on DVD and realized that Hawkeye is in it. Just didn't know who he was.

OMG [Eek!] /! I totally missed that. You mean Thor's archer friend from Asgard? I never knew much about Hawkeye, but I thought he was from Earth. Or was he, and they're just going to make him an Asgardian for the movie? Anyone want to fill me in?
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crystal Stevens:
quote:
Originally posted by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury:

OMG [Eek!] /! I totally missed that. You mean Thor's archer friend from Asgard? I never knew much about Hawkeye, but I thought he was from Earth. Or was he, and they're just going to make him an Asgardian for the movie? Anyone want to fill me in?
Hawkeye was the random guy that grabbed a bow when everyone else was grabbing guns. He was played by Jeremy Renner (best known for The Hurt Locker)

Here's some more information:
http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/Clint_Barton

The "real" Hawkeye in all his purple glory:
http://marvel.com/universe/Hawkeye_Clint_Barton (the end of that link should be Hawkeye_(Clint_Barton) - note the parentheses - but for some reason I can't copy & paste it that way)

[ February 13, 2012, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: redux ]

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, redux.

Crystal, Hawkeye is the guy who was up in the crane, watching as Thor fought to get to his hammer, and waiting for the command to shoot him. At one point, he said something about beginning to like Thor. He wasn't dressed like a superhero in that scene any more than Thor was.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

Oh, okay. I wondered when watching "Thor" why that guy passed up a gun or rifle for a compound bow. Now, it all makes sense. Thanks for setting me straight.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotta say...since comics weren't much part of my life when I was growing up---I spent the bulk of my time finding and reading SF and fantasy paperbacks---so a lot of these characters remain just names to me, and sometimes not even that. Once you get beyond that level...people know Superman, they know Spider-Man, they know Batman...but how many know Thor or the Silver Surfer or Doctor Strange or Sandman?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
I've gotta say...since comics weren't much part of my life when I was growing up---I spent the bulk of my time finding and reading SF and fantasy paperbacks---so a lot of these characters remain just names to me, and sometimes not even that. Once you get beyond that level...people know Superman, they know Spider-Man, they know Batman...but how many know Thor or the Silver Surfer or Doctor Strange or Sandman?

All the more reason to make movies about them, so these great characters can be shared with a larger audience.

I hear the Deadpool movie is gaining some traction. He's a lot of fun: A comic book character who believes he is a character in a comic book. He's always making wise-cracks to the audience and everyone else thinks he's crazy, but he's the only one who knows the truth. I know how he feels.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
All the more reason to make movies about them, so these great characters can be shared with a larger audience.
Ah, but will the larger audience come out for some comics character they've never ever heard of?

I go to the movies once or twice a year...my selection is limited right now to the next Pixar or the new Hobbit...my video purchases tend to be animated movies or old stuff (TV or movie) or something else associational (for instance, I've got a documentary about the actor / comedian Jack Soo on backorder at Amazon-dot-com).

And, frankly, not even the big name comics characters appeal to me enough to put my butt in the theater seat.

I don't know what it breaks down to in terms of people...but, I gather, the claim is that a hundred-million-dollar movie has to take in two-hundred-fifty million dollars just to break even. (Hollywood accounting.) It'll cost at least that much to do it right in this day and age. Can Deadpool put 'em in the seats enough to cover the costs?

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

quote:
quote:
Ah, but will the larger audience come out for some comics character they've never ever heard of?

I go to the movies once or twice a year...my selection is limited right now to the next Pixar or the new Hobbit...my video purchases tend to be animated movies or old stuff (TV or movie) or something else associational (for instance, I've got a documentary about the actor / comedian Jack Soo on backorder at Amazon-dot-com).

And, frankly, not even the big name comics characters appeal to me enough to put my butt in the theater seat.

I don't know what it breaks down to in terms of people...but, I gather, the claim is that a hundred-million-dollar movie has to take in two-hundred-fifty million dollars just to break even. (Hollywood accounting.) It'll cost at least that much to do it right in this day and age. Can Deadpool put 'em in the seats enough to cover the costs?

I'd say it depends on the trailer. I didn't know hardly anything about Ghost Rider, but I like Nicholas Cage and thought he'd be terrific in the role. I really didn't think the movie was all that great, but it was a fun romp, and I'm curious about the new one that's either out or coming.

Promotion can make or break a movie, though I will say I've seen trailers I thought were fantastic only to discover it was the best part of a movie that didn't amount to anything.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

quote:
I'd say, quite a few depending on the character. In particular, the Sandman we were discussing here is, in fact pretty popular. It was a comic book, but not like the usual ones and was in fact what started Neil Gaiman's career, more or less. That franchise has quite a few fans who are not "comic book people"...now a days, probably some of whom came to it later by way of enjoying Gaiman's novels and other projects.

Also...that was just your experience. For many, many people of your generation...and mine...comics and there characters were a very large part of their childhood. Oftentimes starting with the "poster" characters like Spider-Man, the X-Men or Batman but then moving on to others a little less well known.

And again...the made THREE "Blade" movies and I'd say overall Blade is considerable less broadly-known than the Silver Surfer or Doctor Strange, both of whom were at certain points considered major players in the Marvel Universe.

Also remember...a person doesn't have to know the character to go see the movie. Many people who aren't specifically "into" comics are still going to see trailers of movies like this and become interested in them anyway...and some of the characters have cross-conceptual appeal. Doctor Strange is a sorcerer, so my desire to see a movie of the character is as much from my desire to see some heavy-duty magical combat on screen as it is due to my attachment to him as a Marvel character.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've been told, back in the olden days, if a comic book had a sale of less than a million copies per issue, the publishers killed it...then at some point (in the 1970s, I think), they switched to the "let's dispose of much smaller print runs altogether by selling them to the comics stores" business model.

I doubt many people know any recent characters. I'd heard of the Watchmen "graphic novel," but didn't buy a copy and read it until after the movie was out. And I'm not absolutely sure---I read a lot of things---but I don't think I've read anything by Neil Gaiman, much less any Sandman story or comic book.

Trailers are often the bane of moviegoing and moviegoers...a lot of 'em feature everything that is remotely interesting to see about a particular movie...the biggest action set-pieces, the funniest laugh lines, the best acting bits. People see the trailer, go see the movie thinking they'd get more of the same, then find out everything else is lesser, and then come away---disappointed.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

quote:
but I don't think I've read anything by Neil Gaiman, much less any Sandman story or comic book.
Ok. But, that doesn't change the fact that he is a bestselling author...who has also written or otherwise participated in the making of several movies, TV show episodes, etc. He's also one of the very few authors, especially speculative ones, who has anything like "super star" celebrity status...he's particularly loved within the writing community, since he blogs about writing and is very supportive of up-in-coming writers. It also doesn't change my point, that there is a large existing fan-base for many "technically" or otherwise "comic-book" characters who aren't Superman or Batman.

Also, I'm pretty sure Watchmen did pretty well at the box office, however many people may or may not be previously familiar with the material.

quote:
Trailers are often the bane of moviegoing and moviegoers...a lot of 'em feature everything that is remotely interesting to see about a particular movie...the biggest action set-pieces, the funniest laugh lines, the best acting bits. People see the trailer, go see the movie thinking they'd get more of the same, then find out everything else is lesser, and then come away---disappointed.
I've only rarely had this experience myself...of course, on the rare occasions I actually go to the theater it's generally to see a movie I'm more or less sure I will like anyway...for any number of reasons.

However, this also has nothing to do with my point that many movies based on more obscure comics characters will attract the attention even of people not familiar with the source material...through trailers or other means...just by virtue of being what they are.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Kinda later getting back to this but I along with Crystal remember Gwen. I always thought she was better for him than the Mary Jane.
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Interfering with my writing this week has been the Blu-Ray of the remake of SyFy tv series Battlestar Galactica. I gobbled up episodes like M&M's. Loved everything up until the ending with which I was disappointed.

Well, at least it is done and I can get back to writing more.

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, the infamous "God did it" ending of Battlestar. I still cried like a baby at the end.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I know someone at work or loved it and I want to see how they did the ships but I'm not sure about that ending I hear about.

But back to Spider-man and Gwen. I recall her dad was killed during a battle with Doc Octopus while saving a child. But I don't recall how she died. But last year they did two strange things with Gwen, one I read an article about- that one was yecchy and makes me glad I don't read the comics anymore, and one I read a comic. That last one wasn't so bad for it dealt with a middle aged Peter and his grief. Strange to see those features on a older man with a middle age bulge.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And so that is who that guy with the eye patch was. I never would have guessed Nick Fury. The actor doesn't have his strong face.

Oh and I do recall Wasp for sure, a little with the She-Hulk, Ms Marvel, and spider woman but none of the others except for the Scarlet Witch of course even though I changed her shade.

But speaking of Hawkeye- who was one of my favorites, I wish they would do a Green Arrow.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And there's an animated one coming based on "The Borrowers".

I've never read any of them but I've seen the books many times.

Treamayne
Member # 9700

quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
And so that is who that guy with the eye patch was. I never would have guessed Nick Fury. The actor doesn't have his strong face.

Well, obviously the biggest change to Nick Fury is that it is Samual L Jackson playing him. If you've been following the movies so far, you will notice he had a cameo as Nick Fury at teh end of almost every movie leading up to Avengers; Hulk 2, Ironman, Thor, Cap'n America (maybe more).

PS: The Cameos were almost all Easter Eggs after some portion of the credits ran - so if you are the type to walk out of the theater when the fiorst words hit the screen, you probably missed the cameos.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There's another problem with turning these comic-book heroes into movie stars---the backstories are all so convoluted.

When they were doing the Christopher Reeve Superman, they hired Mario Puzo to write the screenply. He read the current comics, and put together a story with Clark Kent working at a Metropolis TV station (which, I gather, in the comics at the time, he was). The producers freaked and insisted on going back to the original backstory---and to having Kent work at the Daily Planet.

A good decision, as people who might go and see a Superman movie knew that Superman was disguised as Clark Kent, reporter for the Daily Planet---but nobody but the comics readers knew he'd taken another job and moved on.

Over the years, a lotta detail accrues to these things. It's said that Star Trek had become hidebound by its continuity, almost impossible to do anything without contradicting something, and one of the reasons for the reboot was to blast all this away.

Superman has a lot of stuff involving things, like different forms of Kryptonite, mutiple friends and / or relatives from Krypton, a ton of possible villains...where do you start?

Then there's all those different "multiple universe" titles, with characters spread out in different roles and with different feels, where a thing that happens in one universe couldn't happen in another.

How do you put together something that'll appeal to the mass viewer, and without losing the comic geek in the process?

It wasn't till the movie was out and being advertised that I realized that Thor was the comic book character, and not the Norse god. I don't think I'd've gone, either way...

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

quote:

It wasn't till the movie was out and being advertised that I realized that Thor was the comic book character, and not the Norse god. I don't think I'd've gone, either way...

Ok...so...why then are you even concerned about what they do or don't make into movies, since you've already said you rarely go to see them anyway?

And actually, the lesser known comic characters sometimes, not always but sometimes, tend to have less convoluted backgrounds, and they've already churned out movies of the X-Men who have by far the most twisty continuity of just about anything anywhere.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
Ok...so...why then are you even concerned about what they do or don't make into movies, since you've already said you rarely go to see them anyway?
Why not? I pick up a lot of DVDs (and Blu-Ray, now, and, I suppose, streaming, eventually), and if they put out crap by the ton it crowds out the good stuff.

I suppose, somewhere out there, there might be some really good movie based on a comic book / graphic novel, but, really, nothing I've seen suggests which one it might be, or even if it exists...

I gather the animated "The Borrowers" is out right now---and I was surprised to find it came from Miyazaki's studio (though I gather he doesn't direct). That means it's certainly worth a look-see on video..."The Secret World of Arrietti," this one is called.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Sorry but it just sounds a bit to me as though you're saying since you aren't interested in comic-book adaptation movies, they shouldn't be spending time on making them.

But as this thread shows, there are plenty of us who do enjoy them and if anything wish that more of them...with a broader focus...would be made.

rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
The Borrowers, and their sequels, were some of my favorite books when I was a kid. Andre Norton was the reigning queen of YA sci-fi in those days. Still is, to my mind. Harry Potter can't compare IMO. If that movie doesn't do justice to her vision, I may fly out to Hollywood in person just to smack some producer's jowls.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treamayne
Member # 9700

quote:
I suppose, somewhere out there, there might be some really good movie based on a comic book / graphic novel, but, really, nothing I've seen suggests which one it might be, or even if it exists...

The Crow is a good example (though, again, many people didn't realize it was adapted from a Graphic Novel. James O'Barr, the author/Illustrator wrote it as a form of mental therapy. His Girlfriend really was killed in Detroit. After her death he joined the Marines - and wrote/Illustrated the Crow while at serving overseas.

The Crow

[url= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_O%27Barr]James O'Barr[/url]

[ February 18, 2012, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: Treamayne ]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
Sorry but it just sounds a bit to me as though you're saying since you aren't interested in comic-book adaptation movies, they shouldn't be spending time on making them.
I'd approve if they could do it right, make a worthwhile movie out of good basic material---besides, there are plenty of non-comic-book-associated movies out there that they've made complete botches of. (Ever see Pearl Harbor? Brilliant battle scene marred by poor plotting among the fictional characters, and a tacked-on ending involving Doolittle's Raid. Three hours of my life I'll never get back.)

I can't recall any comic book movies in the last few years that I've seen, even in part, that interested me. They may be out there, but I haven't seen 'em.

(I say "last few years," 'cause I enjoyed some of an earlier era, like the first Christopher Reeve Superman.)

On a side note...obscure comics seem to get made into movies...but where, say, are all the movies made from classic SF or fantasy genre titles? You see a lot of fantasy movies, but from those whose ties to the genre are tenuous at best (Tolkien, Stephen King, that "Twilight" thing), or Founding Father adaptations (Wells, Verne)...but most of the mainline stuff adaptations you see are cheap botch jobs (two versions of Dune, three versions of I Am Legend, Nightfall), or quickie SciFi / SyFy Channel things that aren't worth a further look past the commercials (Le Guin's Earthsea, Farmer's Riverworld).

Where's the movie of The Caves of Steel? Gateway? The Space Merchants? A Case of Conscience? Stranger in a Strange Land? Childhood's End? A Canticle for Leibowitz?

Hollywood's favorite SF writer of late seems to be Phillip K. Dick---but, after Blade Runner, the ones I've seen were lifted from minor work, and unreprinted work at that.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I think they like making movies from comic books because they look like storyboards. Also I think the comic industry is pretty aggressive at the moment.

My favorite recent comic book movies: Spiderman 2, Iron Man, The Dark Knight.

RED was comic book, as was The Walking Dead.

I want to see the Schlock Mercenary movie. I think The Toynbee Convector would adapt well.

Although I suppose the best thing to do if you want a movie made is prepare a treatment and pitch it to the studios. (And you should probably include the copyright holders at some point.)

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Been meaning to get back to here.

Evidently there is or will be a Green Arrow TV show.

There's a remake of "Total Recall"

The next in line of "Men In Black"

Rats something else I forget right now.
That was it "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter"

And Something I found out while checking out the Terry Brooks web site.

There was interest in a Sword of Shannare movie even though it fell through someone else might pick it up.
And as of January there is definite talk of a Landover movie. It could still fall through--maybe has even--but a screen writer is working on the adaption and they have a star for it.

[ May 06, 2012, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.