Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Clarification, please

Author Topic: Clarification, please
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, all. I'm new here and want to post correctly. How is this forum (Fragments and Feedback) different from the Writer's Groups? Can anyone post in here? And, if we want to post more than the first 13 lines, is linking to an off-site web page the way to do it?

Just don't want to screw up my first time at bat. Thank you!

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone may post in this forum. You should be aware that the thirteen line limit serves two purposes, preserving your rights to the work and saving space on the message boards.

While you can post a link to another site, if this site is accessable to the public, your rights will be compromised by having your work already posted there. That is why the recommended course of action is to post only the first thirteen lines on this site, alone with a brief description of the work, and ask for interested parties to contact you by e-mail for the rest (sending a limited number of e-mails to persons known to you does not compromise your intellectual property rights to the work).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

Thank you, Survivor. That makes a lot of sense, re: first electronic rights. I will follow your advice.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just looking over my comments, and I realized that I need to clarify a certain point.

Your intellectual rights to a work cannot be compromised as such by publication. You do retain those rights as long as you are the originator of the material. But in a practical sense, material published in an indiscriminate manner can become subject to fair use laws. While this doesn't mean that your rights to the material are compromised, it can mean that other parties in the public domain gain certain practical rights to use it in limited ways.

Also, if you "publish" material yourself, you tend to compromise the exclusivity of the material. In the eyes of any potential commercial publishing venturn, for you to publish your work independently and then try to sell them the right to publish that same work is seen as something close to trying to sell them the right to publish material that you've already had published by one of their competitors (this is particularly true of those publishers that literally regard the internet and independent publishing industry as competitors ).

This is all in the nature of hairsplitting, though. If your material is not close enough to its final form for anyone to mistake it for the same work, or if you are not ever going to sell the publication rights to anyone, then it doesn't matter. But of course, many persons on this forum are trying to bring material into something like the form that a publisher might accept, and thus those concerns are quite significant.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

Thanks for the clarification, Survivor. You make me think of certain other venues out there, such as Rosedog.com, where writers are encouraged to post a portion of their work to attract agents. These are clearly more than thirteen line posts, although authors are strongly discouraged re: posting entire short stories or significant chunks of novels. Still, it now seems a riskier proposition, if indeed the works up there are (a) ready or close to ready for publication and (b) One or more chapters are posted.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.