Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Confederation of Freaks and Orphans

Author Topic: A Confederation of Freaks and Orphans
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'd be very grateful for your feedback on my short-short story (1,400 words), "A Confederation of Freaks and Orphans" -- either feedback on just the opening (below), or if you have time to respond to the full story, please let me know and I'll e-mail a copy. Thanks!

Luc

Most of the thawers were dying, but they were bringing them all out anyway. A hundred and eighty years was about enough for the taxpayers after one cryogenics facility after another went bankrupt, apparently. That’s what the social worker told Pete when he came out. Then she gave him a little pellet he was supposed to stick in his ear, which would guide him to his apartment and help orient him.

She spent about fifteen minutes with him, then put him in a little room where pictures flickered on all eight walls and a canned voice described the differences between the early 21st century and the late 23rd. Colonization in space, nanotechnology and nanosurgery, the rise of androgynes as a third sex, holography, full-immersion virtual reality, underground supersonic walk-tunnels, the combination and resplintering of the various North American nations, cybernetic ships launched into the far reaches of space to explore distant star systems, the Age of Implants and the backlash to it … after the first ten minutes it was all a blur. After fifteen minutes the room gave up on Pete and told him to come back when he could understand it all.

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good! I'll take a look: ohanson@fit.edu
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting POV casting and introduction. I'd like to see more as well.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see more. Send to hildy9595@aol.com.

P.S. Congrats on becoming a finalist for the anthology! That's really impressive!

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pen
Member # 1526

- posted      Profile for Pen   Email Pen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a nice attention grabber. I'd love to see more. Trad132@yahoo.com
Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadow-x
Member # 1536

- posted      Profile for Shadow-x   Email Shadow-x         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all.
I've been lurking around for the past year or two, and decided it's time to show myself. An opportunity came during Rahl's "This Forum Is Depressing" and Kolona called for the lurkers to reveal themselves, but the time didn't feel ripe.
Anyway, Pagan I would definitely like to critique your short story.

rshowen, awhile back you mentioned a dark fantasy with a 10K word count. Is that still up for reading?

Posts: 47 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'm afraid I didn't think to post when I had finished this story and sent it out! Yet comments on the opening and/or the story are still helpful to me now, since either it will come back and I'll want to send it out elsewhere (perhaps with a few improvements) or else it will be purchased and I can improve it before it goes to print, so thanks very much for the thought going into this.

Luc

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.