Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Hmmm... Sci Fi anyone?

Author Topic: Hmmm... Sci Fi anyone?
docjohn
Member # 1545

- posted      Profile for docjohn           Edit/Delete Post 
With apologies to Niven, I'll change the names later...

++++++++++++++++++

Louis had the nanoscope scanning the tissues at a subatomic level, and he found what he was looking for. The tissues were permeated with nanoscopic crystalline structures. Billions of them imbedded in the flesh. Some only a few angstroms in diameter. A crystal had detonated!

“So you’re saying he was NOT shot from the inside - out, but poisoned?” Carlos said with a look of incredulity.

“In a manner of speaking, yes.” Louis replied.

“Amazing, now we have three mysteries.” Carlos swung the hoverchair around to face Louis.

“Yah.”

“You realize what you have to do next, don’t you?” Carlos smiled just a little, and rubbed his eyes. The jinxian gravity was getting to him. He’d have to rest soon.

Note from Kathleen:

Please do not post more than the first 13 lines of a story on the Hatrack Writers Forum. We ask this in order to help you reserve your electronic publication rights.

[Note: This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadow-x
Member # 1536

- posted      Profile for Shadow-x   Email Shadow-x         Edit/Delete Post 
You can email me the story.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, one thing i notice right out front, is that you have two Characters who already know what is happening eplaining things to each other, just so you can get the information in. THis technique is a little annoying, since it doesn't advance the story at all.

Ni!

Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
docjohn
Member # 1545

- posted      Profile for docjohn           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I shouldn't have started in thmiddle of chapter two

I'll polish the beginning and start over...

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...and generally, a scene should begin in a natural manner. Coming in on the middle of a highly technical discussion won't make most of your readers too enthusiastic. And the readers that are enthusiastic about those sorts of details will eat you alive for "scanning the tissues at a subatomic level" to identify nano-scale features (atomic is picoscale, subatomic is smaller than femtoscale).

With that warning in mind, I might like to read the first chapter (or prologue, if there is one).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.