Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Number IV

Author Topic: Number IV
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
It is a peculiar sensation when one is spinning and cannot open one's eyes. This was what atributed to the disorienting headache that pounded my skull. I remembered nothing, could see nothing, could hear nothing. To feel was my only sense, and the experience my only memory. I believe time passed, but there was no way to measure it. In the distance I began to hear sounds, unrecognizable intervals of deep and high pitches. I could identify between the pauses and the sounds, and soon that indentification expanded to hear a difference in voice. The sounds came nearer, but didn't grow louder, and fazed into speech I could recognize, but couldn't yet understand.

"The specimin shows only minor signs of cognition. It is likely he'll be dead within the hour, the experiment is a failure."

"Not according to these readings." There was a pause.

"Number IV is awaking."

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Alias, interesting intro! However, if you're hoping for people to read it, you should really post so. Also, it would be helpful if you mentioned the genre, and length as well.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
First thing I thought of when I read your excerpt, Alias, was Poe's opening to The Pit and the Pendulum:

quote:
I was sick -- sick unto death with that long agony; and when they at length unbound me and I was permitted to sit, I felt that my senses were leaving me. The sentence -- the dread sentence of death -- was the last distinct accentuation which reached my ears.

What was that on the other thread about no new ideas, just new ways to present ideas? It's all in the telling, folks.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

Thanks Kolona. I admire your analysis, and find it very entertaining. It is nevertheless wrong, and I can see you don't have a true grasp as for what is going on in my story. This is expected of course, since I have only included this little piece.

For the record I must embarassingly admit that I have never heard of the piece of writing you were quoting.

Kolona
Member # 1438

Oh, I don't mean to imply your excerpt is the same, only reminiscent of the Poe segment. Every reader brings something of himself and his life experiences to everything he reads, and I guess this is just an indication of that. It wasn't a quality or content comment at all. Just a personal observation.
Alias
Member # 1645

Oh, then I apologize for misunderstanding. I have to agree with your observation completely. Even though that particular text didn't contribute to my writing this, I'm sure others subconsciously have.

It is my opinion that writing a story is the habit of regurgitating old works in the form of new patterns and arrangements.

Kolona
Member # 1438

Exactly. I knew you weren't regurgitating the Spanish Inquisition here.

But are you looking for reaction to your posted excerpt only? If you're looking for more, ditto on Rahl's comments, including the fact that's it's an interesting start.

Sachant
Member # 1648

- posted      Profile for Sachant   Email Sachant         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh.. you MUST read the Pit and the Pendulum. Great story.

By the way... If I ever get up the energy, I have a fascinating philosophy piece by Poe called "The Philosophy of Furniture". It sounds strange at first but it's fascinating.

As for the writing, it definetly reminds me of something I have read before. This is NOT a bad thing since if I remember it, it must have been of note and good.

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.