Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Titles:

Author Topic: Titles:
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Which out of the following titles do you like most? Would any of them catch your eyes, if you were strolling around a bookstore?

1) Useless Power
2) Marion's Pathetic Power
3) A False Life
4) Power of the Lie
5) The Sister Who Didn't Exist

(You must have a warped view of my novel, from my title choices )

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Phanto--

Of the titles you've given, #5 definitely appeals to me most. However, having recently read James Maxey's "Nobody Gets the Girl," any talk of people not existing probably gives me the wrong impression. Of the other titles, I think that #1, #3 and #4 sound like non-fiction, and #2 sounds frivolous. (If the story is comic, frivolity is ok.)

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
immi
Member # 1784

- posted      Profile for immi   Email immi         Edit/Delete Post 
2 and 5 would catch my eye, but I think I'd definitely pick up 5.
Immi

Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for #5
Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
reid
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for reid           Edit/Delete Post 
five.
Posts: 63 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help: Now to narrow it down a little more, to choose the very best.

0) The Sister Who Didn't Exist [fine as it is]
1) Her Sister Didn't Exist
2) Her Non-Existant Sister
3) The Fake Sister
4) A Non Real Sister

Hmmm... I need to get to the very best choice--people do judge a book by its title.

[Do you know that when I use a word too much, I forget what it means? I stare at the word, and I wonder: "Why does this mean anything? Do I really know what Sister means?]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
immi
Member # 1784

- posted      Profile for immi   Email immi         Edit/Delete Post 
The first one - The Sister Who Didn't Exist -definitely. Well, in my opinion anyway!
Immi

Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Zero.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Punch it up. I'm not always in favor of shortening a title, but in this case, I think that you should cut it down to two words or less.

Nonentity
She is not (okay, that's three, but they're short)
Unreal (Oops, already taken)
Dis-sorority (just plain strange)
Sister (leaving out the theme of nonesistance, though)
Existentialist

Or you might go with a fuller title, but only if we knew more about the book. Without knowledge, I can only offer such shots in the dark as...okay, I won't try.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, none of them really click with me. The one everyone else has picked is the best, but I still don't like it. (Just being honest.) I've been kicking around ideas but I'm not sure I've come up with better...

1. Sister of a Lie (I'm assuming that both the non sister and the main character are girls, it could also be Brother of a Lie.)
2. There is no Sister
3. Lies (Going with Survivor's one word title ideas.)

Of course, this is difficult without truly understanding the major theme of the book. Perhaps if you described a bit more...

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
pickled shuttlecock
Member # 1714

- posted      Profile for pickled shuttlecock           Edit/Delete Post 
The Sister Who Wasn't?
Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm definately a fan of "The Sister Who Didn't Exist". I don't think any of the other titles hold a candle to it. I also don't think it needs to (or really can) be shortened. It loses too much that way.

Shasta

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
glogpro
Member # 1745

- posted      Profile for glogpro           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like "the sister who didn't exist" so much. "The sister who wasn't" is better. How about one of these?

Unsister
False Sister
Counterfeit Sister
Sister of Deceit

Ooooh. I quite like that last one. You could even work it into some sort of prophetic verse or aphorism. Something like LeGuin's "Left Hand of Darkness." Let's see, maybe

"Say neither too much nor too little, for indiscretion is the brother of slander, and reticence the sister of deceit."

And then one could always go this way:

Tran sister
Re sister
Ex sister
In sister

Even better, change POV to a child of the original POV character:

Deevee Aunt
Miscree Aunt
Dilinque Aunt
Unrepent Aunt

Sign me: Pun It, Aunt ;)

Posts: 550 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Whew, what is that smell?

I actually like Sister of Deceit myself, it has a nice syncopated alliterative quality, and it kind of scans. The problem with a number of the proposed titles is that they just don't sound good. I'm going to add Existential Relation to my list of suggestions.

Of the other suggestions, the following didn't strike my ear the wrong way.

Power of the Lie (but it sounds like a non-fiction philosophy type book rather than a novel)
Nonentity (...well, all the ones I've suggested )
Lies (But this is actually a bit too short)
Ex Sororitas (always go for Latin if all else fails...oh, wait, this wasn't already suggested?)

Kolona
Member # 1438

Okay, I've got to ask, since this is the second time I've seen it. (The first time I thought it was a misprint. ) Is "it kind of scans" or "it scans" some kind of new jargon?
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
See: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=scan

Look under 'v.intr.' meaning number 2, about 1 screen down from the top...

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Oh, my. I know what "scan" means , I've just never heard it used this way:

quote:
I actually like Sister of Deceit myself, it has a nice syncopated alliterative quality, and it kind of scans.

This sounds like some kind of compu-nerd jargon to me.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited October 20, 2003).]

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Sister of Deceit...ooooh I like that one.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Strictly speaking, 'scans' as I have used it is a vulgar or slang usage, and isn't quite grammatically correct. But it is hardly new, or particularly 'computer nerdy'.

It is simply a back-formation similar to the secondary meanings of 'look', 'smell', 'feel' and so forth.

The computer nerdy form would probably be 'compile' as in "this program won't compile right." This has superseded 'compute' as in 'the data doesn't compute.' This use of 'compute' has long since passed from computer nerdy to just plain nerdy.

*Anonymous*
Member # 1787

- posted      Profile for *Anonymous*   Email *Anonymous*         Edit/Delete Post 
The way that I usually figure out a title is by a good ol' Roget's invention called a "Thesaurus." What you do is you take a title like "The Sister Who Didn't Exist" (which I think does not roll off the tongue well enough to catch my attention) and you slamit with big, fancy, flowery words that no one understands. People have and always will be obvious in what they are truly interested in and that is what they want to pretend that they understand. Sister of deceit sounds alright but it still seems too manufactured to my mind's eye. Fiddle around with it before you decide. Titles are like poetry. Only a certain number of syllables will do and they will only do if they are arranged in a manner that is appealing to the eye. Honestly, I don't think you should take any of the suggestions that you have been offered as they were not dreamed up by you, but if you can live with that then by all means.

Oh, and hi by the way. I'm new. I've been reading the posts for quite a while and never felt the desire to join, but I'm pretty bored right now so I figured I would.

<<<Misspellers of the world, untie!>>>

--Nobody

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, my. I know what "scan" means , I've just never heard it used this way

I thought it would be a bit odd if you didn't :-)

What other way can you use it, though?

quote:
Strictly speaking, 'scans' as I have used it is a vulgar or slang usage, and isn't quite grammatically correct. But it is hardly new, or particularly 'computer nerdy'.

I would say according to the definition I quoted it is perfectly correct (an intransitive verb that means 'to conform to a metric pattern' or something similar).

quote:
The computer nerdy form would probably be 'compile' as in "this program won't compile right." This has superseded 'compute' as in 'the data doesn't compute.' This use of 'compute' has long since passed from computer nerdy to just plain nerdy.

'parse' would probably be better. A very nerdy word, which also has the advantage of having an original meaning which is quite similar to the one you want to convey, but which has been hijacked by the computer community to mean something related yet slightly different...

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

The title kind of scans.

No. This is new to me. Still sounds like a new fad phrase. He kind of scans. She kind of scans. The new car model kind of scans.

I just might start using it myself.

Survivor
Member # 213

Sorry, to scan specifically means to analyze in terms of rhythmic components. Thus only things that can be scanned in this way (the transitive, correct form) can then use the backformed verb (intransitive).

You could use it for documents and other things that can be digitally scanned (which sort of counts as being scanned--analyzed in terms of the pattern of lighter and darker components or so forth), as when you backform them it is still (to us) clear what the process of scanning involves.

But it is not clear how a person or other object not typically scanned by a particular object would "scan". In other words, when we say, "this line doesn't scan," it is clear that we mean that a person trying to analyze the line in terms of rhythm will encounter a difficulty. "This photo won't scan" clearly means that the digital photo scanner won't scan it properly. "He kind of scans" doesn't make it clear who or what is scanning him in what sense. "He scans as a scuz," on the other hand, makes it clear that he is being scanned by a person (or a device with a sense of humor) for his moral or ethical bent. "He scans clean" strongly implies that he has been scanned by a specific method for detecting some particular kind of uncleanness. Thus, both of these usages are current in our language.

Kudo's to Jules for "parse."

Kolona
Member # 1438

This is what I get for just scanning these threads. Among other things, I totally missed this:

quote:
The computer nerdy form would probably be 'compile' as in "this program won't compile right." This has superseded 'compute' as in 'the data doesn't compute.' This use of 'compute' has long since passed from computer nerdy to just plain nerdy

I had no idea. Now I’m afraid to admit I never heard “compile” used this way.

quote:
'parse' would probably be better. A very nerdy word, which also has the advantage of having an original meaning which is quite similar to the one you want to convey, but which has been hijacked by the computer community to mean something related yet slightly different...

“Parse,” too? Will the computer community stop at nothing?

quote:
“He kind of scans" doesn't make it clear who or what is scanning him in what sense.

I was using the phrase as a possible bit of faddish jargon, as in “He gets my goat” or “He’s really out there, man” or “He’s bad,” where the words don’t really mean what they mean, which is where I thought the “It kind of scans” was going.

Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Sister Nothing

Sister of the Wind

The Sister Beyond

Sister in the Ether

Sister Enigma

Secret Sister

The Sister Who Never Was

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Sibling Illusory
Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Secret Sister works okay.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.