Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Sidaharra (comments please)

Author Topic: Sidaharra (comments please)
Ratlance
Member # 1893

- posted      Profile for Ratlance   Email Ratlance         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this how my journey ends? Alone, my life slowly fading from me, as each drop of blood seeps out of my hands, and feet, to soil the land of Sidaharra. Do I live now only to await death, hung here as a betrayer of my kin… of God. Nailed to my albatross, the cross… the symbol I wore oh so proudly, is also my deliverance to a world I waited all my life to see. My only companion the moon as it reigns over the sky, and my fading memories of the fateful day it all begun. For the day was like any other day, the sun shining brightly, with fallen brown and gold leaves covering the dirt beneath us, as me and my son stood in the mist of the forest of Elders. I was teaching him the spirit of the hunt, as I always thought him all I could about life. “Father, father come here, look.” I remember him yelling to me as he looked upon the ground.
“What is it?” My son, Varos asked eagerly swiping the dirt off it with his hand. I remember walking towards him, watching his black hair sway in the winds breeze, as his bright blue eyes lit up with excitement. “It’s a dagger, look at it father isn’t magnificent.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
As a reader, I'm kind of confused at what you're trying to do here.

The first few lines are great- they need a proofread for little grammar tweaks, but the content is essentially good, very good in fact.

At "For the day was like any other day, the sun shining brightly" the pacing might be slowed a bit. It's good, only the pace seemed to pick up a bit for me, and you might want to start a new paragraph here.

Proofread, but really good content.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ratlance
Member # 1893

Thanks, ya my grammer isnt that good at all.
This is the begining of my story I just wanted to see what people tought about it.

I thought the pacing seemed fast, but I didn't want to go to much into his toughts right there.

ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
JB! I toast your return! [swigs from his 32-ounce Dr. Pepper, hands begin to shake in happiness]

I think I agree with JB that you've got some good stuff goin' on here, but you really, really need to drop the albatross reference. When you use it, you inject a real world reference into your story. It may a ubiquitous phrase, but it's a ubiquitous relatively modern Western phrase, and it's enough of an anachronism that it kind of compromises the story's internal reality.

Just occurred to me that your overt Christ imagery may place this in a context - future earth? - where the reference is not an anachronism. Apologies if I made the wrong assumption. - CW

[This message has been edited by ccwbass (edited January 21, 2004).]

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a short story or novel?

First, nitpicky tings....

quote:
Do I live now only to await death, hung here as a betrayer of my kin… of God.
is q uestion, need a question mark.

quote:
My only companion the moon as it reigns over the sky, and my fading memories of the fateful day it all begun.

This is not a complete sentence. I believe you need a "was" in there.

Now for some not so nitpicky things...

As I was first reading I am immediately swept away by a sense of poetry. In fact, the wordiness almost seems to block me from feeling the true desperation you are trying to portray. It seemed pretentious. It could just be me, and I have to admit the wording was rather pretty.

Then I got a jolt as I suddenly stopped reading poetry and started reading about a man and his son. As soon as you star describing actual events instead of poetic emotion I think you need a new paragraph. That's a start, anyway.

Finally, are you sur eyou are using the correct point of view? ODon't worry, you never waver from first person, and truth be told, I do not have enough information to answer the question for you, but something about this snippet caused me to want to ask you to rethink the choice. Especially if this is a novel rather than a short story, I was thinking that a third person point of view might help us live the story with the character. As it is it very much feels like someone telling a story rather than living one. If that is what you want to portray, then you have done the right thing, but if you want us to be able to live the story with you character you might reconsider.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ratlance
Member # 1893

Wow, never expected so many replies so quick. Thanks for all your comments, I well take them all into consideration.

Yes this is a novel, hopefully I well finish someday. No I never tought about doing it in 3rd POV, I well give it a try an post it.

I was trying to make it seem that he was telling the story of how he ended up nailed to the cross.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
The first question, are you framing the story, or just using a flash forward? One of the things I have tried, and have realized does not work well is time jumping at the begining. It isn't that what you wrote is bad (I am not a grammar expert), but I do wonder if you are doing it for that ever elusive hook.

Your second paragraph implies the rest of the story is going to be written as a memory, and I personally would not be able to read much of it before it grated my nerves. The term "I remember" would get old about the third or fourth time it came up.

Give a try from where the story begins, a hook can be a word, or a sentance that implies questions. It promises that there will be answers soon and the reader should stick arround and find out. You give someone a dying person, give them some curiosity about what is going on....then they are thrown back to a memory that will remind them regularly it is a memory.

Start the story where it begins. If the story absolutely has to have a intro that is in the future you need to jump back into the story, not a memory.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ratlance
Member # 1893

Yes it is sort of a memory, but I wanted it to be more of a dream. Im gonna repost it to see what you all think.

[This message has been edited by Ratlance (edited January 21, 2004).]

Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
All in all, starts fine; descends to drama.

Is this how my journey ends?

- A good enough start.

Alone, my life slowly fading from me, as each drop of blood seeps out of my hands, and feet, to soil the land of Sidaharra.

- Still good, but a little too elaborate for my tastes.

Do I live now only to await death, hung here as a betrayer of my kin… of God.

- Maybe a dash would work better, not an elipsses?

Nailed to my albatross, the cross… the symbol I wore oh so proudly, is also my deliverance to a world I waited all my life to see.

- Overdramatic, "oh so proudly." Maybe just proudly, or quite proudly, or...whatever.

My only companion the moon as it reigns over the sky, and my fading memories of the fateful day it all begun.

- Blerg, is my reaction to this chunk. Doesn't hit it with me.

For the day was like any other day, the sun shining brightly, with fallen brown and gold leaves covering the dirt beneath us, as me and my son stood in the mist of the forest of Elders.

- My son and I. Yes, bad grammar may be in POV...I still dislike it.

I was teaching him the spirit of the hunt, as I always thought him all I could about life.

- Seems contrived. Maybe, "I was teaching the proper method of hunting--blah blah blah. I've always tried to teach him all I could..."

“Father, father come here, look.” I remember him yelling to me as he looked upon the ground.

- "look," I remember him yelling...

“What is it?” My son, Varos asked eagerly swiping the dirt off it with his hand. I remember walking towards him, watching his black hair sway in the winds breeze, as his bright blue eyes lit up with excitement.

- He sure is doing a lot a lot of remembering... Description is melodramatic.

“It’s a dagger, look at it father isn’t magnificent.

- Overdramatic.

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited January 21, 2004).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
“What is it?” My son, Varos asked eagerly swiping the dirt off it with his hand.

Is this entirely correct for Varos to be using his own name with a first person point of view? I don't usually use my own name when thinking to myself or asking myself a question. I am not sure that is why I am bringing it up. More for my own knowledge than anything.

Besides that question I agree about the flashback thing. I have tried to write a few stories with a flashback beginning and I always go back and rewrite it.

I do know that starting your writing with a flashback often times sparks more ideas and better directions for your story to go. That is my experience anyway. Write a bit more and find the beggining of your story. Worked for me anyway.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Does my comment give you flashbacks TrueHero? Without looking I think my comments were pretty much the same. Of course, I've tried the flashback concept. Luck for me someone asked why I didn't start at the begining. I didn't have an answer, so I changed it. It worked better the second time.
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
After a few tries at flashback beginings, I think I use it more as a writing tool than anything. I wouldn't want to fall in to the DALLAS trap and have Bobby Ewing come back to find it was all a dream. But I digress...

I really would like to know If my point of view question is valid or not, anyone, anyone.... Bueller?

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Yes, you are correct, there is a pov switch from 1st to 3rd between paragraphs. I missed that.
Ratlance
Member # 1893

No it was all done in First Person. I just messed up there I should of made it clearer.
Christine
Member # 1646

Veros is the name of the son, theo nly error there is a missed comma...

“What is it?” My son, Varos asked eagerly swiping the dirt off it with his hand.

There should be another comma after the name Veros to clarify that.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This works better than the other.

The first person probably should be reworked, but the other passage was rather less than successful.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I sort of agree, Survivor, but not exactly. The thing is both beginnings are really written for a first person viewpoint, the one on the other thread merely has he's instead of I's. With that framework, of course the first person is going to work better.

One thing we forget is that point of views are more than whether or not we use I's or he's. A certain point of view is a mindset, a way of tackling a story. Do you want to pretend to be the character telling the story? The plus is that you will have a truly intimate, personal stake in the story and wil be deep inside the main character's mind. The minus is that you are removed from the story in time and place, the events being described already happened and the reader knows that.

Third person omniscient gets into everyone's heads, although usually not to deeply into any one character's mind. It has the advantage of giving you the ability to tell a story that includes the attitudes of a great many characters. It also eliminates the distance in time I mentioned in first person. However, it has the disadvantage that the reader doesn't feel connected to any one character. It has a distance in space problem, if I remember how OSC described it. There is the definite sense of a narrator stepping in and telling a story. It is also extremely difficult to write well, especially becuase it easily turns into a camera's eye view.

Third person limited eliminates the problem of distance in time as well as distance in space. The story follows one character at a time (you can switch between chapters or between breaks). You can go as deply as you care to inside their head and still follow them in time order throughout the story, never knowing if they will live or die.

I paragraphsed most of this from OSC's books, let me just state that right here so no one accuses me of plagarizing. But I think this was important. You have to think about these issues before starting to write a story or it won't really work out no matter which point of view you think you're using.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.