Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » My Virgin 13

Author Topic: My Virgin 13
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my first try at posting in the F&F section. This is a story I started a while ago, and decided to dust it off and breathe some life into it. I am not very far into the re-write, so I decided to post it for some feedback to see if I should proceed with this story. So fix me up please!

Talas sat in the tall cool grass at the edge of the pond, his eyes fixed on the ripples spreading wider and wider. He tossed another pebble into the muddy water and contemplated what he had just been through. He raked his fingers through his brown hair matted with dried blood and debris. He was close to tears and covered his eyes with his shaking hands. Lost in thought, he didn’t hear the rustling in the cattails behind him. He was jolted back to reality by a voice hissing over his shoulder. “I see you survived the battle… Brother.”

Realizing who it was, Talas jumped to his feet and spun around to face his estranged brother. “Do I disappoint you Seshon?”
“No, I just figured you to be a dead man.” Seshon replied, as he calmly pulled his blood-stained gloves from his hands.
“You mean you wish I were dead!” Anger welled up inside him as he dove at his half-brother, catching Seshon about the waist. Talas lifted him off his feet and drove him to the ground like a calf for branding.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
The most important question I have is, why are you starting at this particular point in time? Is there a good reason not to start with the event Talas has just been through? (OK, those are the two most important questions.)

Some minor things:

You tell us that Talas is contemplating what he's been through, so we are peering into his mind without being allowed to see what he is really thinking, because you do not let us know what it is that he has been through.

If this is from Talas's point of view, then you shouldn't tell us what he didn't hear.

You don't need to tell us "Realizing who it was," because we get that from what he does and says.

You don't need to tell us that "Anger welled up inside him," because we get that from what he says and does.

Some good things:

You've used good details throughout.

There's obviously tension/conflict in the story, and you're introducing it early.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited January 25, 2004).]

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
TruHero, I really liked it. Your first sentence and first paragraph are great, excluding minor possible edits. You took us in quick succession from a pastoral setting, tarnished it slightly with "muddy" and a hint of some problem which "comtemplated" suggested was something more cerebral than physical, but which you immediately showed us was far more physical, since blood was involved; then the emotion as we feel with Talas, out of which we are "jolted" with a "hissing" and an apparently antagonistic sibling. Wow.

I disagree with Eric on this. I'd keep this start.

I would try to rearrange the "He was jolted" sentence and/or the "He raked" sentence to get rid of one or two of the "he's."

As Eric wrote, do away with the "Realizing who it was" and the anger bit. Rather than belabor the relationship of the characters with two references, condense it into one: "to face his estranged half-brother." Then you can streamline your presentation of Talas' anger with a simple "He dove at Seshon, catching him..."

Loved the branding simile. You've got me hooked.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited January 25, 2004).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I should explain more about why I thought there might be a problem with where you've chosen to start.

The earlier event appears to have involved some excitement, as Talas has dried blood and debris in his hair, and Seshon calls it a battle.

Now, if the earlier event isn't of much importance, and you're going to briefly explain what happened in a paragraph or so, then maybe you've picked the right point in time to start. But you might want to consider actually letting us into Talas's thoughts as he contemplates what he has just been through. What is he contemplating? Is he thinking about what a loser he his for letting that steer knock him to the ground? Is he wishing he didn't have to fight against his brother every day? Don't just tell us he is thinking, show us what he is thinking.

On the other hand, if you're soon going to have a flashback to the prior event and explain it in a lot of detail, then I think you have picked the wrong starting point. Why? Because you're trying to create suspense by making the reader wonder what happened earlier, even though Talas knows.

And when you do get to the flashback, the reader actually has less suspense, because they know Talas is going to come out of it with nothing more than blood and debris in his hair.

As a general rule, tell things in the order they occur unless there's a good reason not to.

TruHero
Member # 1766

I don't have a flashback planned. The characters are just off the field where a devastating battle took place. Talas is thinking of all that was lost. All of this will be explained in the paragraphs following this first part.

I didn't want to start with a battle scene. I think that would be too much for a begining. I was intending to introduce the key players in the story and get some instant attachment to them. Then I was hoping to just unfold the story from there. Sounds easy enough, yeah right!
Some of the other key elements and minor characters show up right away as they have been assembled for the fight that just took place.
Does this explain it any better? If I am way off base I would really like to know. I am planning on moving forward with this story with this as the begining for now.

Is it more important to describe the battle taking place or just show you the devastion afterword? Either way, in my eyes you get the point of what happened. Sometimes the aftermath has more of an effect than the actual fighting. There is plenty of that coming up. But I don't want to give up all of the story. Maybe with rewrites etc... I may just change it down the road.
But the real questions I would like answered are: Does this begining draw you in without too much effort? Does it turn you away? Would you read on to find out why this is taking place? I am really just starting out with this storyline so that is why I am asking these questions.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

Ok, from what you've described I think it's fine to start where you have; it is not necessary to describe the battle. But I still think that you should let us into Talas's thoughts at the beginning, even if that delays the confrontation with his brother a bit. You know: he'd dreamed of fighting in battles when he was a kid, but the reality was different, or whatever.

To say that your POV character is thinking about something without letting the reader know what he is thinking about is kind of like saying your character does something without letting the reader know what he is doing: "He did something with the thing he had in his hand."

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited January 25, 2004).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

After all, Talas' thoughts at this juncture are revelatory of his character, and it is in characters that the reader is ultimately interested.

The fact that his thoughts are about a close quarters battle that he has just survived doesn't hurt the reader's interest either.

You can get to the interplay between Talas and his estranged brother later...we are more interested in what Talas is thinking, there by the pond.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

I'd hate to see the draw of the first paragraph lost in meandering thoughts and flirting with flashbacks. Maybe a phrase added to "...what he'd just been through," but let him collect his thoughts after he's dealt with his half-brother.
TruHero
Member # 1766

Okay, I have taken some of the suggestions and came up with this. Give this another going over, I hope this is better.

Talas sat in the tall cool grass at the edge of the pond, his eyes fixed on the ripples spreading wider and wider. He tossed another pebble into the muddy water and contemplated what he had just been through. Visions of faces flashed in his mind. Men he knew, being cut to ribbons, dying. He raked his fingers through his brown hair matted with dried blood and debris. Tears filled his eyes as he covered his face with shaking hands. Talas didn’t hear the rustling in the cattails behind him, and was jolted back to reality by a voice hissing over his shoulder. “I see you survived the battle… Brother.”

Talas jumped to his feet and spun around to face his estranged half- brother. “Do I disappoint you Seshon?”
“No, I just figured you to be a dead man.” Seshon replied, as he calmly pulled his blood-stained gloves from his hands.
“You mean you wish I were dead!” He dove at Seshon, catching him about the waist. Talas lifted him off his feet and drove him to the ground like a calf for branding.

Kolona
Member # 1438

I still like it. I'd suggest changing the "he" to "Talas dove at Seshon, catching him about the waist and lifting him off his feet. He drove...."

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

I like this better, because we see more of what he is thinking.

Problems:

"Visions of faces flashed in his mind." While not strictly redundant, it feels redundant to say that the visions were in his mind.

"Cut to ribbons" is a cliche.

Survivor
Member # 213

And of course, you still have him not hearing the rustling of the cattails.

Just say that he was deep in his own thoughts and believed himself alone when his brother's voice suddenly interrupted his grief. Telling us that he didn't hear the cattails rustle doesn't tell us anything about what he's thinking.

I would draw out his introspection a lot longer, get specific about what he's seen happen to whom. Don't get hung up on needing to have some physical action in the first 13.

By the by, "Talas lifted him off his feet and drove him to the ground like a calf for branding" doesn't come across well if Talas is supposed to be the POV character. It makes him seem like a brawler by nature, which would be okay, but is the opposite of what we expect from the opening so far. Also, since it doesn't quite seem literally descriptive of what he's doing, it smacks of "look at how easily I can slam this punk down."

Fire-Bringer
Member # 1856

- posted      Profile for Fire-Bringer   Email Fire-Bringer         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree with Survivor on castrating Talas and making him a neo-Hamlet, who is lost in thought and fails to take action while the opportune moment to do so skitters past. You are showing us that Talas is a man of thoughts and action, which is far more dynamic than a pensive philosopher. If this is the direction you were hoping to go, well done.

Survivor, I mean no offense.

-F

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I'm not voting to have him be a dithering idiot. He's just been through a close quarters combat, and a messy one at that. In the process of reflecting on that experience, he will reveal much of his own actions, which will be more heroic than anything he can do wrestling petulantly with his brother.

And he will reveal much more deeply his own reaction to the violence he's just witnessed and demonstrated. Right now, we don't even know but that he ran away, and is fighting with his brother precisely because he is no longer in physical danger...the text as written supports this view even a bit better than the view that he is sorrowing over the scene of death that he has just come through.

FB, I also mean no offense, but if the 'boo-yah' talk seems indicative of heroism to you, you might want to bone up on some better literature. Heros worthy of our admiration don't behave like that, at least not in the presence of their dead or the vanquished.

TruHero
Member # 1766

You know, I didn't even notice the mistake with the cattail thing. DUH! How could Talas know he DIDN'T hear the rustling, since this part is from his point of view. Man that is stupid. I will have to change that.
I will agree, although not whole-heartedly that "cut to ribbons" is a cliche. I will ponder that one as well.

As far as drawing his introspection out longer, I will think it over , but I don't think it is necessary right now. I will agree that there is some explaining to do, but I was planning to reveal that in the upcoming scene.
I also want to sneak some background info in without a long exposition paragraph or two(which I truly hate, and only do if completely necessary.

Question: Has anybody out there ever fought with a sibling? Not just an arguement but real punching, kicking and rolling in the dirt.

These two "brothers" really dislike each other and have even taken up opposite sides in a great war. But bottom line, they are still brothers. That is what I am trying to convey here. You know the old saying, "boys will be boys", well multiply that by ten and you have these two characters. They just love to antagonize each other. I might term it: a war within a war. Talas is bigger than Seshon and has a big heart, but Seshon is more agile and stealthy, and let's just say, he has other talents.

If anyone is interested I will make more of this story available when I get a little farther along with the re-write. Hopefully that wont take very long.

PS. I am not just thumbing my nose at all the great comments, it really does help!

Survivor
Member # 213

quote:
But bottom line, they are still brothers.
That might be a problem. Bottom line, brothers sometimes kill each other over nonsense.

I haven't 'actually' fought with any of my siblings since I was a little, petulant, whining brat, which may affect how I view this scene. I've never seen siblings 'actually' fight (meaning direct physical combat) except when at least one was being a sniveling child. And in this scene, it is Talas that seems like the infant. If you mean him to be the hero, then he needs a genuine reason to fight Seshon, because as the scene is now, he doesn't come across as particularly big hearted.

Look, this mostly comes out of the fact (just revealed) that he and Seshon are on opposite sides in this war. Seshon is now saying by his very presence, "Look, I think that you're on the wrong side of this thing, and you killed good men today out of your folly, but I still care about you." Talas is saying, "Your feelings don't matter, only what I feel matters, and I can't take responsibility for my own actions so I'm blaming it all on you!"

Frankly, I didn't think highly of Talas' resorting to violence when I thought they were nominally on the same side, now that I know they aren't, I think even less of it. It lessens Talas that he acts so quickly on his destructive impulses, and lessens him more that he acts rashly. He ought to die with his brother's blade in his back for dealing so foolishly, and if he does not, how much more likely seems it that it is Seshon that has chosen the just side?

Brothers may brawl. I did once, as a child. Brothers may choose to fight and die for opposing causes. But to brawl over a life and death cause--and with your brother, no less...it is not an admirable thing.

TruHero
Member # 1766

I don't want to sell the whole story here, but here is another tidbit. What if you found out that your sibling killed your mother, got away with it, and acted as if he did nothing wrong? Would that do it?
Survivor
Member # 213

Didn't notice this before.

That said, depending on the specifics, I'd kill him (or possibly her, I have a lot of sisters, after all). I certainly wouldn't wrestle him (or her, see above).

Bottom line, when you throw matricide into the equation, you throw out all ideas about fratricide being a bar.

And just to make things even, I'd get away with it and act as if I didn't do anything wrong. Fair is fair.

Survivor
Member # 213

I should probably explain the logical implications of this a bit more clearly.

What I'm saying can also be inverted. See, if there are circumstances where it is logical and proper for me to kill my own brother, then logically there are circumstances where he would have been right to kill my mother. Which is the reason I use the preamble "depending on the specifics," in my response. If we get away from talking about my mother, and my siblings (who wouldn't kill her...)....

If this were a less public forum, I'd bring up an example within my family that might throw a little light on this situation. Don't go thinking that I'm confessing anything dark and sinister here. That's exactly what I'm not doing.

The point is as I put it above. Logically, there are reasons that you would would be morally required to kill your own brother, mother, father, what have you. No consistent and credible morality that deals with the possibility of deliberate killing taking place can ever say that certain persons, because of their genetic relationship to you, can never be killed. If his brother is that bad, then he should kill him. If it was his mother that was that bad, and Seshon killed her for it, then he did right, and Talas is being childish. If Seshon is the bad one having killed their mother for a bad reason, and Talas is unwilling to treat Seshon as his enemy, then Talas is still being childish.

The more serious the divisions between Seshon and Talas, the more Talas makes himself a child by brawling over it, as though they were six and Seshon took his toy boat. That is the point I'm making. Either Seshon is truly Talas' enemy or he isn't. X or ~X. There is no other possibility. If they are not enemies, then they may argue or quarrel or even play at fighting, like children, and there is no shame in it.

But to brawl, there on by the field of battle, with the blood of the slain still on both their hands...that is not seemly. It is not honorable.

yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree with Survivor on some points here. I do not think you can expect someone who has come from a battle to behave "rationally" or with honour. Also in some cultures matricide is far less repugnant than patricide. A lot would of course depend on the background of the story. However I think the mistake being made here is expecting these two to act like boys when in most feudal socities they would be old enough to be treated like men.

Perhaps there is a reason somewhere for Talas to hate and love his brother, but both would have to be very strong for him to act so out of sync.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yanos is probably right, I do lay it on a bit thick when it comes to demanding that characters in a traditional society act like characters in a traditional society, and judging them based on those values rather than contemporary mores.

Just strip all that other stuff away, go back to the original point.

quote:
"Talas lifted him off his feet and drove him to the ground like a calf for branding" doesn't come across well if Talas is supposed to be the POV character. It makes him seem like a brawler by nature, which would be okay, but is the opposite of what we expect from the opening so far. Also, since it doesn't quite seem literally descriptive of what he's doing, it smacks of "look at how easily I can slam this punk down."

All I'm saying is that his childish behavior in this instance didn't help me admire or sympathize with him. And all I'm saying with the later posts is that every reason you've given me for him to do this makes him seem even more childish and immature to respond to such serious circumstances in such a frankly silly manner.

I seriously don't mean to get so...chivalrous about things. It just happens sometimes.

TruHero
Member # 1766

I understand. All of the comments have been very helpful. I have added and changed a few things, due to what was said.
I appreciate everyone being so honest in their comments, and assistance. This kind of feedback is exactly what I was looking for.

Survivor: It is good to see that Chivalry is not dead.

Survivor
Member # 213

Hmm, you seem to be assuming that I'm among the living...I'll let that pass
Kolona
Member # 1438

Don't know why this stayed on my mind, but it did, so I reread most of this thread. Although I see where everyone is going with their comments and there are some notable thoughts here, from the original excerpt I still get the impression of characters wound tight from a very recent battle and a wholly understandable scuffle -- as if the battle has ended but the soldiers are marching off the page with it. As a reader, I would trust the writer to explain, in short order, the details about the blood-stained glove and the problem between the brothers, but at this early point I don't have enough information to decide if they're acting inconsistently.

I still like the calf/branding simile, though I'll agree it may not fit the time frame. That's too bad. Save it for another story.

TruHero
Member # 1766

Kolona,
Exactly! you guessed it! That is what I am trying to convey. I will make it very clear soon what took place on the battlefield.
Again, I thank everyone for taking the time and effort to give this all-important feedback, it is very much appreciated.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.