Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » It's got zeppelins in it. You like zeppelins.

Author Topic: It's got zeppelins in it. You like zeppelins.
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE: I'm not looking for critiques on this any more. Just scroll past all the messages from February to see news about what's happened to this story.

I've finished a science fiction short story that I'm planning to submit to the All Star Zeppelin Adventure Stories anthology. If anyone would be willing to give me feedback on the entire story, I would appreciate it.

It's about 8700 words long, so feel free to give suggestions on shortening it, as they would prefer no more than 8000 words.

Even if you won't have time over the next week to read the whole thing, you can still comment on the first thirteen lines:

quote:
Grant Sullivan watched his dream slipping away on CNN. The screen showed an anchoring mechanism connected to the bottom of a thirty-five-thousand-kilometer black strip of nanofiber. It was thinner than a human hair and only two centimeters wide, and it was now less than ten centimeters from the steel and concrete base to which it was supposed to attach. Then five. Four. Three. Two. One.

With a click, the anchor locked on, and a cheer went up from the crowd at the Nanoplications site near Quito, Ecuador.
He had known Nanoplications was close, but not how close. His own company's cable ? the Sullivan SpaceLifter ? still had over two hundred kilometers left to go before it touched down near the Brazilian city of Santana. It would be two to three months before that happened, and by then it would be too late.

Sorry -- the first 13 lines have no zeppelins. They don't show up until later.

[This message has been edited by EricJamesStone (edited October 09, 2004).]

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the opening sentence, but then my eyes glazed over when you started in with the measurements. I couldn’t really picture the object, or quite understand its purpose. Yet I sense there is be something interesting about this technology under all that, and how the character acts given the circumstances (somehow involving a zeppelin no less ) might well be very intriguing. I’d be willing to give the rest of it a look.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited February 02, 2004).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the impression this contraption is a space elevator (see some previous thread), though I'm probably way off base. I was tempted to pass, since I'm doing my FINAL final printing and determined to finish it asap, but I liked the opening -- and who could resist a zeppelin (or that tacky topic line)? You may send it, sir.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a hardcore SciFi person, so my opinion has little value. But the technology description becomes far too complex for me to follow.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Disclaimer: I am not a Sci-Fi person, other than the fact that I have watched alot of Sci-Fi movies. I don't read the books because of exactly what you have going here. Technical information overload.

With that said, I will move on with the critique.

I get the tension in what you have written. I think you have set up the story pretty well. This guy has worked very hard on his project, only to find that someone else beat him to the punch. "It hurts to be on the cutting edge!"

If I were a S.F. guy I would probably be all over this one. You have left me interested in what happens next. So I would say you have succeeded with striking interest right away, and leaving the story open to all kinds of possibilities. This is something I strive to do, as to not give away the whole enchilada up front.

I'd critique it further, but a real S.F. person should do it.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's either an orbital elevator or a sling, and it doesn't act like a sling. Just to be safe, you should say "over" thirty-five thousand kays (don't say kays though, I'm just lazy).

It's a little odd that you mention that unspooling the last two hundred kilometers of the Sullivan Spacelifter would take so long, perhaps you should drop in a line that tells in less...quantitive language what phase it is at. For example, mention that the SS was just getting ready for its atmospheric descent phase. Maybe you could use his knowledge of the SS atmospheric descent vehicle and to do a little compare and contrast on the approach used by Nanoplications with their anchor. That way you could describe it a little better.

That way you bring in his emotional reactions to what he's seeing in direct juxtaposition with the fact that he's seeing a tremendous feat of engineering, it isn't thrown in after leaving the reader to wonder why he's dismayed by the sight of such a positive event (most readers with any idea what you're talking about will see their dreams on the cusp of realization, after all).

GZ and the other's might have a point about the technical detail, it didn't seem terribly complicated to me, but I've been aware of the concept of an orbital elevator (and the math behind it--though only aware, not, like...oh, you know) since before high school (and I'm an old...well, you know). I wouldn't tone down the technical detail, just give collaborating details that make it clearer what you're describing. Mention that the other end is hooked on a geosynchronous station and stuff about how strong it is and so forth. Give the anchoring vehicle a little more description, you know. Nobody is actually bothered by the use of hundreds and thousands of kilometers and nanofibers if you just tell them it's space stuff.

I'd love to read it, and I think that you have a good intro, here, just one that is a little obtuse to anyone that isn't already familiar with the high concept--namely, a guy trying to be the first to put up an orbital elevator. I'm not even familiar with that one, I belong to the ranks of "I'd be happy to ride it if it's affordable" (or free ).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
loggrad98
Member # 1724

- posted      Profile for loggrad98   Email loggrad98         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be too simple to get it, but I got stuck on "Nanoplications". I assume it is a hybrid of nano- and applications, but I still could not make the merger work. I guess the bad part of this is that it pulled me out of the story, which is not what you generally want to happen.

I tried to pronounce it, and ended up glossing over it, because I could not figure out if it should be nan-OP-lications, or NANO-plications or just what (if any of that makes sense anyway =). Maybe think of a simpler name, especially if it is for a business. They typically would rely on easy to remember names to promote their business.

I also got stuck on the first paragraph. The vagueness of the "mechanism" coupled with the very specific dimension (35000 km) threw me for a loop. I did not care how long the thing was (an "about this long" would have worked well for me here), but the lack of info as to what the mechanism was made me wonder how it worked. At first, since his dream was "slipping away", I assumed the mechanism did not work properly and he was watching the thing he built fly (or float) away, but the distance got SMALLER, which told me it was moving the other direction. The second paragraph cleared this up, but to be honest, I would have probably put the story down since I found the first paragraph somewhat cumbersome and might worry I would encounter more of the same later on.

Overall interesting story idea. The second paragraph did pique my curiosity and I would be willing to read the rest as well.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, I wish I'd seen this back when it was posted! I got into it immediately, but I'd been researching space elevators and discovering how we now have the technology to make the cable, so that could have been part of it. I'd even researched the best locations (placing me way after those such as Heinlein, who refers to the Quito Skyhook in "Friday") so even understood the location.

I was wondering if you submitted it, and when you might hear if it is accepted (if you have not already - knowing it's only been a month since you posted this).

Lee

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I received some very good feedback on this story, way back in February.

I submitted it to All Star Zeppelin Adventure stories, and they rejected it with a form letter.

However, after a requested rewrite and resubmission, I have just sold the story to another market.

Analog.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Booyah! Cream rises!
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Eric! That was an interesting story. So glad it found a home.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! Well done.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. Just thought I'd mention that I, too, cannot picture something as vague as an "anchoring mechanism." Is is a claw grasping at a rung? A hook? What does it look like?
Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

Yes, that's one of the things that changed thanks to the critiques here.
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Impressive, Eric. Congrats!
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great!
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang! I missed the first thread on this one by a month--I didn't join until March!

WOW! Analog! Big time!

Congratulations! And hope springs eternal for the rest of us.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, Eric!

Yeah!

Yippee, skippy!

(and all that jazz)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurrah!
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.