Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » I have put this off too long

Author Topic: I have put this off too long
PE_Sharp
Member # 1654

- posted      Profile for PE_Sharp   Email PE_Sharp         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Here are the first lines of a recent short SF-satire piece I have been sitting on a while.

Tell me if you are interested in having the rest sent to you. All are welcome.

quote:

Captain Matt Reeding approached the food prep-robot for a bit of a boost. It had been seven days since leaving the trade post, seven days of mind numbing, uneventful, interstellar travel.

"Give me a cup of joe, made with that new pattern." The Captain said requesting the spoils of the latest trading visit.

It was the best coffee on the ship, and the Captain accepted the mug without comment. That said the coffee was still rather poor. Matt involuntarily his gritted crooked teeth as the hot brown liquid met his tongue.

ps Christine, this is a more complete, revised version of the story you already saw the beggining of, a while ago.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get a satirical vibe from this beginning.

However, since I like satirical SF, I'd be willing to give the whole story a try. Feel free to e-mail it to me.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
PE_Sharp
Member # 1654

Eric,

I have sent you the text as an email. If you prefer another format just let me know.

The satirical elements are subtle, mostly confined to pokes at certain icons, and oversights of various-media SF. The story is serious nonetheless. I doubt many will laugh out loud, but I hope most everybody gets it, or at least, I hope enough people get it and help me make it better, so even more people get it.

RillSoji
Member # 1920

- posted      Profile for RillSoji   Email RillSoji         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this intro and would defiantely keep reading out of mild curiousity. (Feel free to send me a copy as well though I warn I'm new and just learning the ropes. )

One comment about your first line though. You start out with a formal title "Captain Matt Reeding". Personally I think that if Matthew is his full name you should use that instead of just Matt because of the formal way you're refering to him.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick comment - looking at what you've posted, you're capitalising 'Captain' when its used as a reference to the person rather than his title. My understanding is that you shouldn't do so in this case, at least according to British style guidelinks (I have no idea what Elements of Style says on the matter but the Oxford Manual of Style agrees with me). Captain Reeding should be the captain, not the Captain.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
PE_Sharp
Member # 1654

Jules,

Thanks, must have got that rule backwards.

RillSoji,

Funny, I always just thought of him as Matt. Maybe he should be Matthew, but it almost sounds too respectable for him. I will think on it.

To everyone else,

Does the lack of very many responses, or volunteer readers, indicate I should re-tool my beginning and they try again? Or are people just not inclined to reading an intellectual satire?

ps. Eric, Did you get it?

BTW Christine, if you are still agreeable to me re-sending you this story, tell me.

TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a go, it sounds interesting. Shoot me an e-mail, I will look at it next week, if you'd like. Send it as text in the e-mail or Word .doc file would be fine.

One comment though, "gritted" and "his" are reversed in order. Shouldn't it be "gritted his crooked teeth...."

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
PE_Sharp
Member # 1654

Thanks Truhero,

It is on its way.

Man! What an obvious **** up. I got a chuckle at that. How a person be so blind to his own words is a total mystery to me.]

Thanks again.

PE Sharp.

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just not that crazy about satire period.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
mogservant
Member # 1739

- posted      Profile for mogservant   Email mogservant         Edit/Delete Post 
The lack of response is most likely because what you posted was so short. "Captain bored. Captain get coffee." However, as a fan of satire, I'm interested. I'd take a look if you still want feedback.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
PE_Sharp
Member # 1654

quote:
The lack of response is most likely because what you posted was so short. "Captain bored. Captain get coffee." However, as a fan of satire, I'm interested. I'd take a look if you still want feedback

'If' I still want feedback, hahahah. lol. Here it comes.

And on the topic of coffee, well that is a vital plot development.

PE Sharp

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.