Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » First 13 of a Story Concept...Any Thoughts?

Author Topic: First 13 of a Story Concept...Any Thoughts?
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings. This happens to by my first post at Hatrack...the first of many, I hope. I thought I'd kick off my registration night with an excerpt from a short story/possible novella concept I've been working on. You can tell me what you think, alert me to any blatant spelling/grammar errors you come across, make suggestions, etc. Anything you see fit (or feel like posting). Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated...er...tolerated, at least.

Excerpt from Hero's Dawn:
--------------------------------

Sunlight filtered down through the golden leaves of autumn, covering the forest floor in both light and shadow. The trunks of mighty trees thrust upward from the earth like gigantic columns of rock, their gray bark gnarled by weather and countless years. In contrast to the trees’ drab appearance, the forest floor was littered with fallen leaves from the higher branches, weaving a carpet of gold for any who dared to tread within the wood’s boundaries. For some this was a place of solitude, for others a place of peace. Yet, in times of war, the forest was another realm entirely…a place of death.

Beneath the layer of yellow leaves lay the bones of the dead—Men, Dwarves, and Elves alike. Now all were shrouded in beauty, sharing the same eternal fate. Death had not come to the Great Forest for nearly a century. It had been many years since blood was last spilled on the golden ground by man or beast. Now the peace was about to be broken once again, and this time none could easily mend it.

A shadow flitted suddenly from tree to tree, moving with the silent swiftness of a wolf. The specter leaped across a narrow ravine, the sound of his heels touching the other side little more than a whisper.

--------------------------------

As I said, this is something I took off the "shelf" recently and decided to revive. It's not refined yet, so please be gentle.

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
POV? And is this supposed to be part of a prologue or is it opening text?

Stylistically, this shows considerable promise. The imagery is rich enough to create a distinct impression of the scene and give it a felt emotional tone.

Some of the images themselves don't work so well..."like gigantic columns of rock," doesn't feel right with what is being described. A "gigantic" column of rock means something you'd find in Southern Utah and the Four Corners area...supersized, like a million ton wind carved obelisk. Same for the word "drab", which implies a looser feel. "Austere" might have worked better, or might not. "Silent swiftness" is inelegant, "swift silence" might be a tad cliche...or it might just not fit the idea of a wolf.

But overall I would feel more confused by the lack of a distinct POV or narrative form than by minor points of the prose, which is very good.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Inkwell. Welcome to the forum. (Love your screen name, btw. )

I'm no fantasy expert, but with this sort of beginning, which seems apropos for a fantasy, POV specificity can probably be delayed for a few paragraphs, maybe even a few pages if this is a prologue.

I agree with the 'rock' analogy being not quite right. Unless you stipulate that these trees were akin to those in a petrified forest (Although they wouldn't have leaves, would they? Maybe petrified leaves. ), it doesn't compute.

I didn't immediately get the contrast of which you wrote -- the 'drab' trees vs the 'golden' forest floor -- probably because the sunlight and golden leaves sounded pretty and I assumed there were still some leaves on the trees, being autumn. I don't know; maybe mention bare trees so we see starkness above a golden ground.

I do very much like the contrast at the end of the first paragraph.

'Silent swiftness' didn't bother me, but 'flitting' did, because that suggested something in the treetops to me.

Writing is quite nice, intelligent. I enjoyed it.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

Thank you both for the helpful comments...I'll take a look at the word choice again throughout the text. Actually, the 'silent swiftness' part was something I changed last night before posting (and still wasn't comfortable with) so that's already on my radar screen, so to speak. This is actually intro text, Survivor, with the POV emerging several paragraphs later...which I didn't post due to the 13th line rule. Thanks again for the analytical comments/suggestions.

(And, Kolona, I like the screen name too...hadn't expected it to be available, but things worked out after all.)

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Inkwell
Member # 1944

I rewrote some of the intro, mainly focusing on the sections you mentioned were awkward. I changed a few words and the over-all sentence structure, and am fairly happy with the way it sounds.

----------------------------

Sunlight filtered down through the golden leaves of autumn, covering the forest floor in both light and shadow. The trunks of mighty trees thrust upward from the earth like gigantic columns of an ancient temple, their gray bark gnarled by weather and countless years. In contrast to the trees’ drab appearance, the forest floor was littered with fallen leaves from the higher branches, weaving a carpet of brilliant gold for any who dared to tread within the wood’s boundaries. For some this was a place of solitude, for others a place of peace. Yet, in times of war, the forest was another realm entirely…a place of death.

Beneath the layer of yellow leaves lay the bones of the dead—Men, Dwarves, and Elves alike. Now all were shrouded in beauty, sharing the same eternal fate. Death had not come to the Great Forest for nearly a century. It had been many years since blood was last spilled on the golden ground by man or beast. Now the peace was about to be broken once again, and this time none could easily mend it.

A shadow darted suddenly from tree to tree, moving with the swiftness of a wolf. The specter leaped across a narrow ravine, the sound of his heels touching the other side little more than a whisper.

---------------------------

The two obvious alterations are the descriptions of the "great trees"...I changed the comparison with spires of rock to something a little more coherent (in my opinion). The reference to ancient temples seems to sound more elegant (to my ears, anyway). The second noticable change involves the final paragraph/section...mainly the descriptions of the running character's actions. I also changed 'flitted' to 'darted' so as to avoid any possible confusion that the character was flying from tree to tree. Thanks for pointing that out, Kolona. Anyway, I think this part is just about ready. I'll probably begin revising the rest tonight. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Inkwell
------------------
-Anonymous

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that "ancient temple" change too, it gives a good change in both the physical imagery and the affective aspect of the description by describing the forest in terms of a sacred place.

As a prologuish (is that a word?) text, this works quite well...there is still the issue of lacking a defined narrator voice or POV, but as the emphasis is on painting a scene, the descriptive power of the text seems the main thing.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful. Poetic.

Good work.

The line In contrast felt out of the language and style. It felt too formal.

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited March 17, 2004).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. There are always nits to has out but in general, I liked it. And I was definitely not concerned that no POV was established yet. In many circumstances I actually like a good lead-in or camera view to spin you into the POV character's head.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

quote:
Posted by Phanto:
The line In contrast felt out of the language and style. It felt too formal.

Perhaps something along the lines of "Unlike the trees' drab appearance..." or "At odds with the trees' drab appearance..." would sound more appropriate with the rest of the text's style/form?

Inkwell
------------------
-Anonymous

mogservant
Member # 1739

- posted      Profile for mogservant   Email mogservant         Edit/Delete Post 
I was about to post about your "In contrast to the trees’ drab appearance" line when I notices it was just brought up. On first reading I felt like you were writing down something that's best left up to the reader to notice. Instead of specifically pointing out that there is a difference between the two, be more subtle. Use words that contrast against each other in these two descriptions. This will give more of a visual picture instead of interrupting it with unnessecary words and set a tone for whatever will take place here next. As you've already described, it is a place of beauty and of death. Perhaps the trees growing from the bone-filled ground have been affected by their food, while the orange leaves that have fallen and died seem more alive than the trees themselves. Just a suggestion. I like the style and the imagery you've created. Vivid.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
jpwriter
Member # 1987

- posted      Profile for jpwriter   Email jpwriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Inkwell,
I loved the second rendition. I loved the description and felt at home in the scene.
[quote}For some this was a place of solitude, for others a place of peace.[/quote]
My only nit, and it is really a nit, is that place of solitude and place of peace sound two close to the same thing to have different people have it be one or the other. I would think a place of peace and solitude would work better.
Nice writing though. You must be very experienced.
As always, the above is my opinion and may be worth every cent you paid for it.
Jerry

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

quote:
Posted by jpwriter:

"For some this was a place of solitude, for others a place of peace."

My only nit, and it is really a nit, is that place of solitude and place of peace sound two close to the same thing to have different people have it be one or the other.

You are absolutely right! Heh...I never caught that. The sentence format should surround a comparison, not a similarity. Thanks for pointing it out. I've been doing some more work on this fantasy story while simultaneously cranking out a few SF-based ones. I guess I'll have to dust it off and make a repair or two.

quote:
Posted by jpwriter:

Nice writing though. You must be very experienced.

Thank you very much, but in all honesty I'm not a very experienced writer in the strictest sense of the word. I've been hammering out stories for a few years (almost seven I think), but haven't read many books on the subject or taken official education-based courses. I find that most of my 'learning' has come from reading good books. The authors themselves have been my teachers and mentors, in a way. At least, that's what I'd like to think. I cannot in good conscience go as far as to say that I'm 'self-taught'...that wouldn't be true.

When I first started writing short stories my readers/critics would ask me why the tone changed so often. Now I realize that I would assimilate part of an author's tone while reading their series or stand-alone novel, making it a part of my own style (I wasn't copying their ideas, mind you...just the sound and grammar usage). Now I've developed my own distinctive style, though it originated with many of the authors I read growing up (and through my early writing years, which were less than stellar). So...no, I'm not really experienced.

One thing I've learned after seven years is the effect time has on writing. Like many other things, writing grows richer and more enthralling the longer you practice at it, and learn new things. Frankly, I don't think I'll ever be able to call myself 'experienced'...I think I'll always be learning. Anyway, thanks again for commenting on my excerpt(s)...all such efforts are greatly appreciated.

BTW, welcome to Hatrack. I apologize for not saying it earlier...I hadn't noticed how recently you'd signed on until now. I'm not a veteran member yet, myself, so it appears that we’re in the same boat.

Inkwell
------------------
-Anonymous

jpwriter
Member # 1987

- posted      Profile for jpwriter   Email jpwriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Inkwell,
Seven years to someone that has been writing since last August is very experienced relative to me.
I do agree that we never quit learning. I too have never taken classes but I have read some books on writing and have people that give me feedback in the real world. (as opposed to the cyperworld)
Nice to make your aquaintance.
Jerry

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.