Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Plot question

Author Topic: Plot question
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
Right; I don't know whether that fits in this section, but here it goes. I am writing a short story about a sculptor who is commissioned to make a statue of a dead leader, which is to be unveiled at the funeral. Can anybody think of any reasons why the person who ordered the statue (the new leader of the country) would NOT want to have a look at it before having it unveiled (to avoid nasty surprises; I should specify that he is not sure of the loyalties of the sculptor but respects his talent)? Thanks in advance.
Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
As the reader, I could believe ANYTHING as long as you logically support it with your prose. Maybe he feels this sculptor was divinely inspired and to see the statue too early would be blasphemy. Maybe he gets called away and never gets a chance to see it. Maybe one of the sculptors requirements is that no one see it until the unveiling.... Just run with it.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he did look but the sculptor pulled a switch.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think the time factor might be one possibility. Of course, it depends on how long the dead leader lies in state before the actual funeral, but if time is short and the sculpture must be done quickly, the new leader may be so busy meeting with foreign visitors who have come to the funeral that he may not have time. (I'm assuming a fairly modern world, where foreign visitors fly in. That may not work in your story.)
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

The setting is medieval, I'm afraid. And I do know I can pull off a lot of things; I'm just rather short of ideas.
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this would fall under the concept of the new leader not wanting to look at the sculpture, but it's something that hasn't been mentioned yet. What if he dies before having an opportunity to see the sculpture? Just a thought. What a mess for a feudal (I'm assuming it's feudal) nation to lose two leaders in such a short time...could make for some interesting writing. That, or I'm just being morbid.

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

Thanks for all the ideas; I think know what to do in my story. For info, Inkwell, the whole goal was that the current leader would be shocked by the unveiling of the statue, so he can't be dead before having a look at it. :-)
Byrd
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for Byrd   Email Byrd         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds to me that your story is going to involve the sculptor unveiling something the ruler won't like, and the ruler half-suspects this will happen.
I think the best bet is to have the sculptor pull a switch ... Have him be working on the "politically correct" sculpture to keep the leader happy, and then frantically trying to get the real sculpture done.
Then, again, that may not fit into your story at all...

Posts: 31 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Rahl22 as long as it is woven into your story there are tons of ways to deal with this situation.
Don't just think about the statue, how about the artist? Does he have an illness or disfigurement that the leader fears? Has the artist been cursed and forced to work in isolation? Maybe its sex, does the artist have a hot assistant that distracts the leader?
To me the possiblities are endless, but your choice should reflect where you are going with the story and how it ends.
I guess what I'm saying is that within your characters( the artist or the leader) or somewhere in your story line is the answer to this question.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited March 23, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited March 23, 2004).]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that you definitely have to go with the old switcharoo, and it has to be a dang clever one too, because if the new guy even suspected that the sculptor might try to embarrass him, he'd make darn sure to actually see the correct statue firmly planted on the spot where it was to be unveiled, and kept an armed guard there from that point in time till the unveiling just to make sure.

Unless, of course, your whole point is that this guy is even more of a dolt than the typical medieval prince.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.