Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » 13 lines of soldiers

Author Topic: 13 lines of soldiers
Astyanax
Member # 1990

- posted      Profile for Astyanax           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here it goes, 13 lines of pure unadulterated humilation

It was odd to feel the earth curl beneath his tattered body. The sun was shining, a bright and irritating glow that still somehow made him want to smile. The grass rippled and a sigh escaped his torn lips. The earth seemed to caress him like a mother clutches her firstborn.

They would be after him soon, he knew. They would come with whips and clouds to block out the sun and lash him into submission. He would run, as he always did, but it was more ritual then resource.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Astyanax
Member # 1990

my bad the computer messed up my lines. still give me feed back though
Astyanax
Member # 1990

---------------------------------------------------------Ok, now I finish it

It was odd to feel the earth curl beneath his tattered body. The sun was shining, a bright and irritating glow that still somehow made him want to smile. The grass rippled and a sigh escaped his torn lips. The earth seemed to caress him like a mother clutches her firstborn.

They would be after him soon, he knew. They would come with whips and clouds to block out the sun and lash him into submission. He would run, as he always did, but it was more ritual then resource.
He would start, body shivering with warmth from the sun, and force his limbs into a mocker y of a sprint. He would hobble forward, his left leg falling heavier than his right. He had been beaten once, and during the course of it, he had kicked out at his tormentors. THe kick had broken a rib, and his masters paid special attention to the offending limb. They had cut it with knives, burned it with smoking brands and broken it several times

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
No name, not enough setting, and you're making the reader recoil.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Astyanax
Member # 1990

But did it get your attention?
FiveSides
Member # 1988

- posted      Profile for FiveSides   Email FiveSides         Edit/Delete Post 
It got my attention.

Have you ever seen "The Great Escape?"

This character has the making of a leader. His resolve would strengthen his troops or rally the revolt. Hopefully you were planning on adding that, along with a good setting. And maybe even a name, but I'm not greedy.

~James
Hi Ho Silver!

[This message has been edited by FiveSides (edited April 13, 2004).]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, he who and they who? The he's and they's keep me from relating to anything that is going on, but actually, this is not the greatest problem. This has an easy fix -- give him a name.

"The grass rippled and a sigh escaped his torn lips. The earth seemed to caress him like a mother clutches her firstborn."

<shudder> For some reason, these sentences actually made me uncomfortable reading. I also completely missed the anology. Well, not completely, but I did not think it was a good anology.

Then we get to what, IMHO, what the biggest problem. The second paragraph. The entire paragraph is about what is going to happen in the future and what has happened in the past and it is only the second paragraph! What's going on now? It's not quite a flashback, but neither does it ground us in your story.

Did it get my attention? That's such a vague question, really. If you want to know if I would keep reading then I'm afraid that the answer is no, but that it is possible, if not probably, that the greatest problem here is the way you began. You do not have the sylistic or writing errors that I see so frequently around here, which means there is hope of improvement. (Once again, IMO on all counts.)

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited April 13, 2004).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Astyanax
Member # 1990

Christine, thank you very much for your critisism. So I gather what I need is a way for the reader to connect to the character, like a name or a distinguishing feature.
Thanks hombre,
Astyanax

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.