Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Book of Raziel

Author Topic: The Book of Raziel
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.freewebs.com/hephaestusimgs/thebookofraziel.htm

Enjoy.

I'll be posting chapters 6 and 7 in the next few months, and after that I'll stop posting on the net.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!

Thing is, I believe the policy here is that you only post 13 lines of your work. Because otherwise your work is unpublishable.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

I was under the assumption that it was 13 lines in the actual post...
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
if you post your work on the net, where anyone can have access to it, it's considered published.
Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it isn't that it is then unpublishable, it is that then it is published, and you'll have a bit more difficulty selling first publication rights.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

By the way, did you want feedback on this?
Survivor
Member # 213

Secret of the Pyramid my eye! More like The Aneurator or Your Head A'Splode!...I mean, how many guests did that thing kill before you closed it?
La' klan
Member # 2069

- posted      Profile for La' klan   Email La' klan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new to this writers shop. So let me get this straight. It's called a writers shop but we can't send more then 13 lines to be reviewed. I thought that all we wanted to do here was make our stories, novels whatever you call them, better? But what can people do with only 13 lines for people to review over. Oh and if some one tells me otherwise, I don't think that this writers work shop has thousands of people reading these clips of books. Yea, maybe a number in its double digets, but out of any of those numbers, which one of us reads everysingle one of these book clips? I'm just saying that if I wanted to make my story more readeable I don't see the problem with sending more then 13 lines.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding of the rules is that the "first 13" is a kind of preview, and if people find it hooks them and you want the whole story crittiqued, those interested can volunteer to have you email it to them for that purpose. At least, that's the way it's worked when I've done this before, both as a writer and a crittiquer.

Heresy

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
That's how it works.

We don't want you to use up your electronic rights by posting the whole thing here (and we don't want to fill up the website that way, either).

The first 13 lines gives people a taste of your story and allows them to volunteer to read and comment on the whole thing for you.

Many editors will only read the first page of a manuscript to decide whether to reject it or to keep reading. The first page of a manuscript should have only about 13 lines, so we're trying to simulate the chances you'd have with a regular editor.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

quote:
I'm new to this writers shop. So let me get this straight. It's called a writers shop but we can't send more then 13 lines to be reviewed. I thought that all we wanted to do here was make our stories, novels whatever you call them, better? But what can people do with only 13 lines for people to review over. Oh and if some one tells me otherwise, I don't think that this writers work shop has thousands of people reading these clips of books. Yea, maybe a number in its double digets, but out of any of those numbers, which one of us reads everysingle one of these book clips? I'm just saying that if I wanted to make my story more readeable I don't see the problem with sending more then 13 lines.

What he said.

13 lines isn't a page. That's about 2 paragraphs. Maybe in a novel that's the first page, when you have a half page with the chapter number. But in a manuscript the first page is the title page, and the second is the first page, chapter number only about 4-6 sizes larger, and it's a full 8 1/2 X 11 sheet...

La' klan
Member # 2069

oooohhhhh.... I see how this works now. How the lines are a preview and everything. But shouldn't we change the rules for some stories. Example: in the story "Holes" the plot is in three diffrent times. The first time You read the book you can't see how the three lives connected. but at the end of the story people realizes how they are connected. If there is a story like this how can you give a 13 line preview on that.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
ArCHer, we're not all posting novels. AND many (at least all the ones I've read) novel manuscript guidelines, say that you start the first page of a new chapter one-third to halfway down on a new sheet of paper.

Believe it or not, having someone critique just the "hook" of your story will give you a more powerful beginning. And if you want more feedback, then you ask for volunteers to read the whole thing.

I think we've all cheated, if line thirteen comes at a bad point, we'll go to line fourteen or fifteen. But anything more is unneccessary.

And rude. Because, it's Kathleen's board, so arguing with her is like arguing with an editor about their submission guidelines. These are the way the guidelines are. Period.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

Woah, didn't see she was an admin. How come her name's not a different color?
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's not my board, it's OSC's board, but he lets me make rules like the 13-line one because of my experience working with writers and with writing (over 20 years).

Manuscripts have about 26 lines of text on each page. It is recommended that you start the first page of text in a manuscript halfway down (which means 13 lines). This is to give the editor space to write instructions to the typesetter when the story has sold and will be published.

So the first text page of a manuscript (short story manuscript at least) should only have about 13 lines on it.

The first page of a novel manuscript can be the title page, with no story text on it, and the beginning of the text can start at the top of the next sheet, but, as MaryRobinette said, we're not just doing novels here.

I'd recommend that if you want feedback on a novel, you post a synopsis instead of the first 13 lines because that will give people a better idea of what you're working on.

I would also recommend that if someone is willing to comment on your novel, you send them no more than a "partial"--the beginning (usually up to 20 pages) and an outline of the rest.

Why should administrator's names be a different color? It says "administrator" under my name, after all.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what "Holes" is or what you mean, but let me see if I can clarify the purpose of this forum.

The point is not to post your work for feedback. The point is to get volunteers to give you feedback on the whole thing. (Which you then send via e-mail and so it is not giving up any rights at all.) You don't even have to do this by posting 13 lines. You could post a summary of the story and see if people are willing to read. You can combine a summary with up to 13 lines. In fact, you should at least provide a genre and word count.

13 lines is only a paragraph or two, but in a paragraph or two I can tell if someone has such terrible grammar or such a loathesome writing style that I may as well not bother. I can also often tell if the story is something I would enjoy reading. (I am not likely to request more of an epic fantasy, for example.)

If you think about it, this is actually a very good system. It gives you a place to start to find people to give you feedback, and over the year that I've been here I've found a small group of people I can usually count on. The best way to start is to volunteer to read someone else's work to show good faith.

As to 13 lines, we've had lots of discussions about those 13 lines. In a short story they do represent a hook past which an editor will not read if the writing is bad or if nothing interesting has happened at all.

As for a novel, if you want to get someone to read an entire novel this may not be the best place to look. A chapter of a novel may work fine, but you'll want to explore different avenues if you need feedback on an entire novel. And 13 lines of a novel really doesn't show you very much.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

Well, I'm only posting 7 chapters, but that's still 6 more than you're suggesting. However, I might be re-writing it to put those 7 chapters in the middle...

Go ahead and delete this thread, and I'll make another to follow the rules...

Edit: The name should be a different color b/c the line that says administrator is waaaay too small to bother looking at when reading through a thread. Sometimes I don't even read the name, and I find that lets me judge the post and not the poster more. But if I see blue, or red, or whatever over there, I know that this isn't just another poster, and I also know this person knows the rules if that's what we're talking about.

[This message has been edited by ArCHeR (edited July 01, 2004).]

La' klan
Member # 2069

you have never read the story Holes! Mother of mercy what is happening. I'll tell you this. It is a really, really good book. I read the book and was astounded. They made a movie about it and you still haven't even heard of Holes? Rent it from a library or something! It's by Louis Sachar. I will tell you this though, it is a childrens book, but it is the best children's book i've ever read. In my opion Holes beats the poop(are we allowed to say that?) out of Harry Potter.
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
La'klan:

You might notice that, although the first 13 lines of Holes are not enough to give you any feel for the complexity of the book, they certainly can give you enough information to decide whether you want to read on.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Holes is outstanding, for those of you who've missed it. While we're mentioning really amazing juvenille fiction. "The Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime" is one of the most deeply moving books I've read in a long, long time.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.