Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Palador

Author Topic: Palador
Ratlance
Member # 1893

- posted      Profile for Ratlance   Email Ratlance         Edit/Delete Post 
Well here's me 13 lines tell me what you think.

--------------------------------------------
Varos ran through the Forest of Elders, autumn leaves ruffling in the wind under his footsteps, huge looming trees passing by in a blur. Reality gradually fading before his eyes, like the passing rays of the sun. The world around him slowly interweaved itself with the world of the dead.

The thirst for life griped Varos, urging him to break free from the shell of his body. He could never get used to this sensation; it was like the energy of all the world flowed through him, wishing to break free. Tightly grasping the cross that hung from his neck, he whispered into the wind, “Andoni.” Spirits of the forest began sucking at him like a raging current; feeling like his body is being torn in two, one side pulling him to the world of the living, the other the world of the dead, stuck in the middle, floating in pure darkness. Varos focused with all his energy on the essence of his life, and the core of his soul, trying to hold himself together. The force of the two worlds was stronger then he ever expected; life seemed such a distant thing. What is life anyways? No, he could not give up here, so close, almost done, just need to hold on a little longer. He grimaced in pain as his soul began to rip free, shooting paralyzing bursts of pain through his body.

[This message has been edited by Ratlance (edited July 09, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Ratlance (edited July 09, 2004).]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Mightily intriguing. Nice language.

Punctuation and paragraph problems, though. The first three sentences might read better as one, the end of the third sentence (after the semi-colon) better as a separate sentence. The fourth sentence ("The thirst for life...") seems a good place to begin a new paragraph. Also "The force of the two worlds..."

A couple of nitpicks: 1)You begin the first sentence with "They..." but quickly focus on a single person. If there is a 'they' I want to see them. 2) Last sentence, '...shooting paralyzing shots of pain...' Too much shooting. Maybe '...paralyzing bursts of pain shooting through his body.'

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll do this one line-by-line with my comments in CAPS.

They ran through the Forest of Elders. WHO ARE "THEY"? Autumn leaves ruffling in the wind under their footsteps, huge looming trees passing by in a blur. THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE SENTENCE. PERHAPS IT WOULD BE BETTER IF YOU COMBINED IT WITH THE FIRST? Reality gradually fading before their eyes, like the passing rays of the sun; the world around them slowly interweaved itself with the world of the dead. THIS IS ACTUALLY AN INTRIGUING SENTENCE, ONCE I FIGURED OUT WHAT IT SAID, BUT I HAD TO RED IT 4 TIMES BEFORE I UNDERSTOOD COMPLETELY. SINCE THIS INFORMATION IS SO IMPORTANT (AT LEAST IN TERMS OF HOOKING THE READER) IT MIGHT BE BETTER TO PUT IT IN SHORTER, MORE EASILY READ SENTENCES. The thirst for life griped Varos, urging him to break free from the shell of his body. I'M AFRAID I'M HAVING A HUH? MOMENT AT THIS POINT. THIS ALSO NO LONGER FEELS LIKE IT SHOULD BE THE SAME PARAGRAPH, IT FEELS AS IF THIS IS A DIFFERENT SUBJECT. He could never get use USED to this sensation; it was like the energy of all the world flowed through him, wishing to break free. SO THIS HAPPENS OFTEN, WHATEVER IT IS? Tightly grasping the cross that hung from his neck, he whispered into the wind COMMA “Andoni.” Spirits of the forest began sucking at him like a raging current; feeling like his body was being torn in two. One side pulling him to the world of the living, the other the world of the dead, stuck in the middle, floating in pure darkness. THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE SENTENCE. PERHAPS IT WOULD BE BETTER COMBINED WITH THE ONE BEFORE? He focused with all his energy on the essence of his life, and the core of his soul, trying to hold himself together in one piece. THE "IN ONE PIECE" FEELS REDUNDANT. The force of the two worlds was stronger then he ever expected; life seemed such a distant thing, PERIOD? what is life anyways? No COMMA he could not give up here, so close, almost done, just need to hold on a little longer. He grimaced in pain as his soul began to rip free, shooting paralyzing shots of pain through his body.

I began with the close examination because until I did that, I was not entirely certain what it seemed (to me) that did not quite sit well with this introduction. Now that I've gone through it carefully, I have a suggestion for you to take or leave as you see fit. You seem to be trying to create this sense of fear in the reader but with no context to understand what is happening to this man, I am spending too much time just trying to understand to be able to feel any fear or empathy. An effective opening, IMHO, begins with something that a reader can relate to from his or her own world. Well, not even from the real world, but from the familiar spiritaul, fantasy or science fiction world. What is this man doing and why? These are questions that I feel need to be answered for true understanding and therefore enjoyment of your seemingly captivating events.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ratlance
Member # 1893

Thanks for the comments hope that fixes it a bit.

Christina im trying to show Varos making a transition from the real world to the world of the dead. Why he is going there is explained later. I was hoping this would be a good enough hook for readers to want too see what is going on.

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Ratlance, that would be a good hook, if it was clear that that was what was happening. I'm afraid I didn't get that from this passage -- I just didn't understand what was happening.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this new version.

Still, there are little lapses. Basically, you're working with three voices here. One is the somewhat poetic terminology and imagery that we might expect to find inculcated in a person trained to penetrate the veil between death and life. This voice dominates (and give the current text nearly all it's evocative power). One is the "stray thought" voice, composed of broken grammer indicating not-consciously-expressed thoughts and perceptions. It might be nice flavoring in a different POV, but I find it rather inferior in affective power to the first voice. The third is the prosaic voice. It may simply be a failure of maintaining the more lyric qualities of the prose. "He grimaced in pain as his soul began to rip free, shooting paralyzing bursts of pain through his body." The italics indicate the rather prosaic voice.

There was also that "huh" moment Christine mentioned at "The thirst for life griped Varos, urging him to break free from the shell of his body." This simply makes no sense. Your thirst for life urges to stay in the "shell of body", it doesn't ever urge you to leave. I think that you may mean that some other entity's thirst for his life urged him to leave. There are better ways to phrase that.

Still, as I said, overall, this is a pretty interesting opening. Your predominant voice is very effective at drawing me into a certain viewpoint (the others pulled me towards different viewpoints, which hurts the focus of the text, but those other voices might be good on their own). And with the new beginning, it is basically clear what is going on here, despite some ambiguous language.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ratlance
Member # 1893

I think I realize what you guys are seeing now, thanks for all your help it will help out alot.

[This message has been edited by Ratlance (edited July 10, 2004).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.