Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Birthright

Author Topic: Birthright
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I already have a great group of people doing a round-robin discussion on subdividing this LARGE work into smaller volumes. And WOW have they been great! I'm making some huge strides!

At this point, the major point of the discussion is character development vs. unnecessary history, OR at what point do you start the story. So, I've decided to start the story here (see below).

What I would like right now is some feedback on my starting point from some people who are not already helping me with my outline. Those people will be receiving the chapter via email.

It's short--only 800 words or so. And starts out like this:

Lies, Darrian thought. Lies erupting from Strahan’s mouth every time he opened it. But without evidence Darrian could do little but listen to them. Even with evidence the king would not be likely to act against his favorite son.

With a quiet sigh Darrian pressed himself against the tall back of his chair and listened as Strahan worked to convince the Council that war was called for, that the people of Ganesh were terrorizing Ravenskeep’s outlying settlements with a keen eye on conquest.

“Attacks in the north and east are more frequent and brutal than ever…”

‘I’ve seen worse,’ Darrian thought. ‘But then, I’m old enough to be your father.’

“Failure to act will result in heavy losses to our supply lines. With war already looming we cannot afford to risk the loss of ore shipments needed for armor and weapons and…”

‘Ravenskeep already has enough arms and weapons to defeat a Ganeshi offensive twice over,’ Darrian thought. He cursed silently and shook his head. The Council had already heard him say these things, and many others, more times than he could count. But Strahan would not let the whipped dog lie. Did he think the Council would believe the same exhausted lies if he uttered them over and over?

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got some time to take a look.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lorien
Member # 2037

- posted      Profile for Lorien   Email Lorien         Edit/Delete Post 
I could read a chapter. Send it over!
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooo, I like that opening paragraph.

I'm a bit busy, but if it's only 800 words, I'll take a look.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cathy Perdue
Member # 7987

- posted      Profile for Cathy Perdue   Email Cathy Perdue         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read too, if you're up for one more.

Posts: 68 | Registered: May 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. How is it that Darrian knows that Strahan is lying if there is no evidence? I guess I have to read and find out.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd give it a read, too, if you are still looking for people.

Just a note, though:

"Ravenskeep" and "Strahan" immediately put me in mind of Ravenloft and the vampire Strahd (who occupies the keep) from RPG fame. Did you intend them to be so close?

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I can take a look, if you still need feedback at this point or you could keep me in mind to look at it once you've made changes from the first group.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Shadow: Nope. Never heard of Ravenloft or Strahd. Don't read vampire novels. Don't even know what RPG stands for. Since my book is not within that genre it shouldn't be a problem for my audience.

I hope.

Christine: I'll save you for later. I'm going over a couple of pretty cutting reviews right now. It may be that I change my starting point completely. This is all getting VERY confusing and a bit frustrating and...AARGH!!

I'm learning something though. When I give reviews I'm going to strive harder to point out the good bits--not just the troublesome ones. It helps make the criticism a bit easier to swallow. I'm also learning that there are as many methods of critiquing as there are of writing. I have three crits back on this so far and all vary wildly. Is that a bad sign? Is there just so much wrong with it that it's hopeless?

*SIGH* Having one of those down days, I guess.

Lorien
Member # 2037

- posted      Profile for Lorien   Email Lorien         Edit/Delete Post 
djvdakota - I've been a bit busier than expected (I got a new computer! Yea, but it's not running smoothly yet). So, I don't think I'm going to be able to get back to you in a short period of time with meaningful things to say.

Count me in for the next round though. Thanks and sorry. I hope you have enough replies - it sounds like you do. Good luck!

Posts: 116 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I know just what you mean.

One year ago I went to boot camp and had to write a short story in a day, from conception to finished product. The story was raw, I'll grant you, but I could not believe that by the end of the critiquing session there was not one solitary sentence that did not get hacked by someone for something. Since then, I've had a few stories go through similiar problems...where it seems every little bit posed a problem for someone.

This is usually a sign that the entire story needs a rewrite, but it does not necessarily mean that the story is a wash. This is why I have to whole-heartedly agree with you that critiquers need to look for positive things to say more often, and not just because it's easier to swallow that way, though this is true as well. It's a matter of showing the author what she did right, what she should keep intact. Otherwise, in the rewrite, the author may end up trading out the back parts for good parts, but trading out the good parts for bad parts and making it just as bad in the end.

When you've finished your rewrite I'll be happy to take a look -- Surely,I can find something good to say aobut it.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
When different people have problems with different things, it can be something individual to each person. You have to ask yourself if what each one said resonates with what you are trying to accomplish. If it doesn't, you are probably safe in ignoring it.

Only when several people have the same problem with the same thing do you really need to pay attention. You still don't need to do what the critiquers say to do, though. You just have to figure out what is the best way for you to fix the problem so that it fits with your writing and your story.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
RPG = role-playing game
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Dakota:

Cheer up, dear, this is an experience probably common to all who have been on Hatrack for some time. I got two wildly divergent reviews from my last short story and wondered which was right. In truth, probably both and neither! I agreed with some points with each and will gratefully incorporate them into my rewrite. Other points I decided I preferred my original version to the suggested changes. Where I really sat up and took notice was, as Kathleen pointed out, where several critiquers were saying the same thing.

Take heart, see what all your reviewers are saying in common and look to that as your starting point. Take all of our other individual suggestions with a very large grain of salt, at least until it is your *publisher* that is making the suggestions!

Kathleen was kind enough to fill in RPG for you (thanks, Kathleen!). The Ravenloft modules were associated with the Fantasy Role Playing Game "Dungeons and Dragons".

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Thanks for the encouragment everyone.

I guess my biggest trouble is that I'm the kind of person that likes to jump into a project and keep at it until it's done. And when it's done I want it to stay that way. So the editing process is, by nature, a frustrating one for me.

But I'll keep at it.

Thanks again.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.