Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Second Game-first 13 lines

Author Topic: The Second Game-first 13 lines
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
Short story, fantasy, 8000 words but still in progress. Would welcome any comments on that opening (does it work?...) Thanks.

They faced each other, at night, in the darkened throne room of the palace, much as they had faced each other twelve years ago over a game of dice. There had been no monsoons for several moons; the air was stiflingly dry.

“The time of exile you set for me is past,” Aruna said. He was looking at the other’s face, and charting the passage of time on the burnished features. Marek had not changed that much. Unlike Aruna, who had seen the Triad one night in the forest, and had woken up preternaturally aged.

“And you come for another game of dice?” Marek asked. “You know that I will never grant you that. A hermit Chosen by the gods will outstrip me in any kind of game.”

“I come for my revenge, and for the kingdom you stole from me,” Aruna said. He kept his face expressionless.

Marek laughed, bitterly. “You have already had your revenge.”

[This message has been edited by Silver6 (edited July 29, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Silver6 (edited July 29, 2004).]

Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guilty of sexism. I thought that Aruna was a girl's name because it ended with an 'a', so the pronoun at the end of the section surprised me.

I want to know which dark room in the castle they are in. I want to know why it's dark. You repeat information, specifically the references to 'twelve years' and 'game of dice'. You only need to let us know that once. Their statements of each other's names didn't do as much for you as it could have. I feel like they could have said each other's names before we joined them. May I also suggest that you switch the first sentence of paragraph three out of passive tense? (I'm not counting the dialouge) Maybe you could also join the second and third sentences?

In the first paragraph I'm going to suggest a rewrit of the last sentence, again with the goal of making it more active, also for a little bit of clarity. I know that "for several moons now" is meant to indicate that the monsoon is late, but it is as easy to read it as meaning that the monsoons had stopped coming several months ago.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not the only one guilty of sexism; my sister had a problem with that name as well; which is why I made the pronoun so close to the actual name.
I agree with you about the names, which bring nothing. And sorry about the dark room; it is misleading: it's dark only because it's night outside.
I'm afraid I don't quite follow what the problem is with the monsoon reference...If you wouldn't mind explaining?
And I don't get which sentence "the first sentence of paragraph three" refers to...
I rewrote it. Better?

Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, you're treading very close to something compelling here but it's missing the mark for me. My impressions of what is going on intrigue me...a power struggle, a stolen kingdom, etc. I have a few problems quite grasping hold though...

First of all, (but not first in importance, these are presented in random order) I don't know who I am supposed to sympathize with here. My guess is Aruma (yes, that does look like a girl's name ) but I'm not sure. This section appears to have been written in omniscient viewpoint, is that the case? I have no t noticed any violations ot that POV, if that is your intent, but it does keep up some distance from the characters.

Second, and let me just go straight to the point and not dance around it....I don't like the first paragraph. In fact, if I had to rate problems, I think this might go at the top of the list fo rme. The first and second sentences have nothing to do with one another, for one thing. I did not love the first sentence, but I could have gone along with it whiel you went into a little more detail. I expected the second sentence to answer a few questions...who these two men are, what they are doing there, how they had gotten there....not in excrutiating detail but in some. The sentense about monsoons was, along the lines of the wise reader critique, a Huh? moment for me...as in What does that have to do with anything?

"He was looking at the other’s face..." this bothered me as well, because twice you failed to name the other. First, you failed to name him alongside Aruma in the first paragraph. Second, you failed to name him though you have named his friend. That threw me a little.

Finally, I will echo Mary's desire to know a few additional things about this environment, things that I think could have fit nicely into the first paragarph in place ot the monsoon. The first sentence leads to natural questions of who these two are, why it is dark, and what was up with that dice game 12 years atgo? Not all of these need to be answered up front....obfiously, you only have so much room. I think the description of why these two are alone in a dark throne room would be most compelling since their discussion lends itself to beginning to say who these two are...but I still don't understand where the palace guards are, for example, why the throne room is dark, and why Aruma was even let inside the palace.

Hope this all helps.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
The first sentence caused me to stumble a moment. I think the "at night", broke my flow. How about instead of plugging in "at night" in the first sentence, show us a feature of the "night", like moonlight.
Hey - just thought of something. My mom used to talk about the moon "holding it's water", when it is in a curved upward crescent and there hasn't been any rain. Has anyone else ever heard that expression? Anyway, maybe if you said something like that we will get the impression of night and of the lack of rain without you having to spell it out for us. And it sounds kinda fantasyish. It just popped into my head and I thought I'd share, feel free to ignore it.
It may also help if you started the first line with "Aruna faced Marek once again" instead of "they faced". Then the chore of introducing their names is over, and you have established who the POV character will be - Aruna, and you have already told us this has happened before.
The idea of a dice game, to determine the future of a kingdom, does grab my attention.
I instantly wanted to know how it would turn out.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the other reviewers, especially that you have something compelling here but the first paragraph is too weak. That's the biggest problem.

I also want to say I like the last sentence. That was where I got sucked in.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited July 29, 2004).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm a little bothered by your starting point. A little late, perhaps. I want some more lead in, some more stage setting. Not too much more, but enough to put me in time and place, and enough to have some greater understanding of the characters (as has been said, I'm not sure which one to root for) and the conflict between them before we're right in the middle of it.
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, "monsoons for several moons" implies that you could expect several monsoons within that span of time, which doesn't make sense if we're talking about "moons" being similar to months. It also sounds terrible.

Kickstarting with "they", "Aruna", "Unlike Aruna, who had...woken up...aged" and all that's been mentioned already. There is something interesting here, but the snags are bleeding it to death.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a read at the thing. It's nice to have little things to read, and this doesn't cost anything.

Oh FYI, there is a very distinct reason why it sounds like a feminine name. In Latin and Spanish (and all the other Romance languages for all I know) the -a ending signifies femininity. You're not sexist, the language part of your brain just works well. o and -us are both masculine endings, you might want to think about changing the name to end with one of those. (This is especially true in made up names). Send me a copy of what you've got so far at bladeofwords@hotmail.com

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cicerocat
Member # 2138

- posted      Profile for cicerocat   Email cicerocat         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'm new to the forums. I saw your story wanted to comment.

First line is a good hook, instantly drew me in. The next sentence seemed disconnected from the first line and the next. Can you work it in more from the perspective of the characters? Frex, what does no monsoons mean to the character--is it a good or bad thing?

"Unlike Aruna, who had seen the Triad one night in the forest, and had woken up preternaturally aged."

Intriguing. This also might be a nice area to tie back into the second line. If he's aged--and is an old man--how does the weather affect him? How would it have affected him if he were younger? Etc.

"“I come for my revenge, and for the kingdom you stole from me,” Aruna said."

I suggest deleting "Aruna said" and changing the he of "He kept" to Aruna to give a contextual clue that Aruna spoke this line. Having a character say (or even laugh) the dialogue on every line can get noticeable. Personally, I don't like the "said tags" like that very noticeable, because it draws me out of the story a bit.

Overall, besides those nitpicks, it's intriguing and works as a hook.

Hope this was helpful and not hurtful.

Cya,
CC

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.