Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Short short wants readers--do I?

Author Topic: Short short wants readers--do I?
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Pffsh! Of course I do!

Only 800 words, historical in nature, based on the global ramifications of a natural disaster that occurred some 1500 years ago.

LOST HORIZON

The land stood desolate as Jeshua wended south. Desolate and cold and dark as winter, with no sunrise to mark the coming of day, no sunset to mark its passing. Just darkness fading into deeper darkness. Cold giving way to greater cold.

There should have been new grass and new-planted fields and new lambs. But the grass and fields were buried beneath an endless snowstorm of choking ash; the ewes were dead and rotting, their lambs with them. Not even weeds, that always seemed to survive anything God felt inclined to hurl at them, could find purchase in this place.

There should at least have been the cries of birds. Carrion birds, if nothing else.

But there was nothing. Nothing but stone and ash-covered earth and skeletal gray trees reaching toward an unnaturally black sky, their branches like the fingers of Death grasping for whatever lost soul happened to stumble past.

And stumble past they did. Streams of them, wandering, gaunt, hopeless, with brown brackish rainwater dripping from strings of filthy hair, eyes sunken with fear and hunger. They shuffled aimlessly in all directions with no golden horizon to follow, no sign for as far as the land reached that there was someplace better to go.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like a peek if I may.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I like disaster survival stories. I'll read it.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Check. Goatboy and NewsBys. Just tracking who I've sent to and who I haven't. Still willing to accept more readers.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Question: Does the last paragraph violate the 3rd limited POV? Or can this information, given the circumstances, be surmised by Jeshua?
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
You've definitely got me wanting to read more. Send away!

And no, I don't think the last paragraph violates POV. All of this Jeshua can observe, even the aimless wandering. As far as "eyes sunken with fear and hunger" is this something that Jeshua shares with them? If so, you could probably add in "like his own", and that would bring it unquestionably back to his POV.

At least, I think it would, but then again I'm no expert on POV. Survivor? *G*

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cathy Perdue
Member # 7987

- posted      Profile for Cathy Perdue   Email Cathy Perdue         Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely done. Intriguing. I like post apacolypse too. You've set the mood and used details that enhance credibility. I'd like to read more.

About the POV, I also think you're fine with this, and I agree with Susan that adding a statement 'like his own', bringing POV more tightly to your protag, would strengthen it.

Are you thinking Short Story, novel, or something in between?

[This message has been edited by Cathy Perdue (edited July 29, 2004).]

Posts: 68 | Registered: May 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cathy Perdue
Member # 7987

- posted      Profile for Cathy Perdue   Email Cathy Perdue         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, well duh... You said it's a short short. That makes this even more intriguing.
Posts: 68 | Registered: May 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it. As the last paragraph contains only information that can be surmised from Jeshua's observations of the environment and the lost souls stumbling past, it is in POV.

One thing that is really odd is that you have rotting carcasses and dead trees in a situation where there are lots of hungry humans wandering around. Also, these humans are all wet with rainwater, whereas the entire environment was previously described in terms that implied dry conditions.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
May I read it too, Dakota?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

More tracking. Shadow, Cathy, Surivor, Mary. Got it. And thanks.
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
If you still need more, I'll take a look.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
I got time, send it over. Bladeofwords@hotmail.com
Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent my review. Just wanted to let you know in case there is a problem with "transmission".
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.