Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Tomorrow Never Knows (1st 13- SCRIPT FORMAT)

Author Topic: Tomorrow Never Knows (1st 13- SCRIPT FORMAT)
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
This is something I did a while ago that got put to the side when I started The Book of Raziel. I must warn you it's written in script form, so if you want more, it'll be hard to read for people not used to it.

Remember that scripts are meant to be more descriptive than anything, so don't comment on writing style, coment on content.

Scene I: Low Earth-orbit.
A satellite passes by the camera. There is no sound. It is a long cylinder with a large solar panel on each side. The camera begins to follow it and a red glow appears from the end facing Earth. The glow brightens until it fills the screen. The light flashes away, and is replaced by a laser shooting down towards the Earth. A sudden crash of sound and explosion of red light fill the screen as the camera is now showing a large fortification with a shallow, terraced slope in the middle of a desert. It is exploding from the center, and as the satellite orbits, the laser moves towards the camera. The laser shuts off just as it hits the outer edge of the building, and the sound of debris falling seems disturbing. As dust clears, the fortification is split halfway through. Shouting and a man screaming is heard from inside. The sound of a powerful jet gets louder, and the screen is distorted by the jets of a large, very futuristic looking V/TOL craft as it lands right in front of the camera. A wide shot of the area shows several of these craft landing in front of the structure. Large doors fall open on the front of the crafts as large armored vehicles roll out of the crafts, and continue towards the building. All of these craft have the big bold letters UN on their sides. As soon as they are out, the doors are closed as the craft lift off and turn around. The armored vehicles all go quickly into the opening made by the laser.

Meh... one line over. Oh well...

[This message has been edited by ArCHeR (edited July 30, 2004).]

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
You've asked us not to comment on writing style, so I will just suggest that if you are going to write something in the style of a screenplay that you should read some books on the correct formatting. This would include camera cuts and angles. It would also include advice on writing description to create a mood, but that is styelistic advice which you don't want.

If you do not intend for this to be a screenplay, but rather want to use it as a device, then the style of writing needs to be as compelling as in any other form of fiction.

Content: A satellite blows up a deset fortification. Somebody is hurt. The UN turns up, so the laser must have been theirs.

I don't care about any of them, because nothing in your description gives me any indication of who I should be rooting for.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

Of course you don't. It's the first 30 seconds
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so what really well-done film have you seen that doesn't introduce either your protagonist or your antagonist or some clear indication of whether we should be hissing at or rooting for the instigators of the initial conflict in the first thirty seconds of the film? SOMETHING would make it quite clear that the laser and the tanks etc. were either the good guys or the bad guys. Even if it's just passing descriptive words.

And keep in mind, MaryRobinette is a working scriptwriter.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the credentials Dakota, but I write for stage and radio-- very different from film and television. I perform for those, so I know what a finished script looks like, but a spec script is another animal. My husband writes for screen and I crit his work.

Regardless-- the things that make a good story are the same in each medium. Character, conflict, resolution. Aggression is not the same as conflict.

ArCHeR
Member # 2067

I can think of Terminators 1 & 2 off the top of my head. The only reson we knew who to root for in Saving Private Ryan was because we know what happened at D-Day. The same thing goes for most war movies. All other movies we know through publicity.

Would you honestly be able to know that Tommy Lee Jones's character was a good guy at the begginging of MIB if it weren't for the ads? That can go for a lot of movies.

Or how about Resevoir Dogs? Or even Clue? The whole point of movies like those is finding out who to root for.

Right now, in the first few seconds of this movie, do you really NEED to know who the bad guy is? And are you really that opposed to the UN that won't root for them anyway?

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Why do you even ask for opinions?
Warrior Poet
Member # 2139

- posted      Profile for Warrior Poet   Email Warrior Poet         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Archer, stow your hundred pound bow, Odyseus, check your fletchings, and quiver that shaft. don't wanna' put anyone's eye out, do we?

All I think Ms. R.M. is sayin' is that the format you delivered needed a little clean, although it seems sterilized of emotion and viseral description.

Usually, scripts, esspecially spec scripts have to hook fast. It has been my humble experience that in a spec script shoould cut out camera directions to the director, and focus on what is being seen and heard by the audience, desciptive language in this intanse tells the producers and director what the audience will be feeling on seeing a scene.

If this is an opening scene, it has to have punch, it's gotta sell, or your pitching to an empty plate and there's nobody in the bleaches.

Unless you're writing a play (Play's have a much more elastic format.) try writing the scene in Standard Form. Now on a forum like this it if hard to show an example format, but it goes a little something like this...

Courier Font 12 point
Scene Tag Slug 1st.

EXT. LOW EARTH ORBIT - DAY

A menacing, dragonfly-esque satellite drifts into view like a solar panel winged raptor, moving across the face of the serene, unaware earth. Our view travels with the hovering metal beast as it glints malevolently in the pure rays of the Sun. Like the burning eye of a cyclops a sharp crystal begins to glow hot with infernal fire as the satellite turns the bead of its glare on us and blotes out everything from view in scarlet flash. A seething ray of laser hellfire burns through the atmosphere, streaking like the wrath of God toward the surface of the planet below. A desert fortress is struck in its center, and dissappears in a maelsrom of firey plasma, molten debris and utter destruction!

Kinda' like that sorta', or maybe I way off base with what you're trying to accomplish. If so, disreguard my poor advice, bro.

[This message has been edited by Warrior Poet (edited August 03, 2004).]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap! I actually liked that. I thought I hated all screenplays, but that was pretty cool.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Archer, if you are using MS Word, you can download a shareware screenplay template to use that will properly format your scripts. I'm mostly sure it's called ScreenForge. A quick search via any search engine should bring locate it easily enough.

I agree w/ Survivor -- that was a good intro.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

But, it was the pitch, not the script. You're right- it needs punch, etc. when you're pitching it, but the director needs a diagram, not a painting.

MR, I'm asking for opinions, but don't get mad when I don't like them. It IS my story after all. I don't get mad at people who don't like my advice. But at least I tell you why I don't like it so you can give feedback on something else.

So, in case you guys haven't figured it out, don't tell me I'm describing it in the wrong format, tell me what you would change about what I'm describing.

HSO: thanks, I'll look for that...

[This message has been edited by ArCHeR (edited August 04, 2004).]

Warrior Poet
Member # 2139

- posted      Profile for Warrior Poet   Email Warrior Poet         Edit/Delete Post 
There are several types of scripts, Archer. Speculation, production, and shooting, not to mention the color pages when changes to the original occur.

That bit I attempt was not a pitch because it was not wholistic in nature, nor did it give an idea of what the story was about, only a scene, and not fully broken down at that, and if you can sell a script based on a scene you've really got a hot property in your hands.

A spec script should grab the mind, not dictate to the director. It is true that a sreenwriter wants desperately to make his script director proof, but in the end if you write a script and sell it, it is out of your hands, and the producers, director, and actors will invariable modify it somehow.

If you ever want your complete vision of a story brought to the screen you'll need to be the producer, director, editor, as well as the writer, with enough cash to see it come to fruition, and then there's your cast and crew that will add their own nuiances that you will have to control as well, but I digress.

The long and the short of it is, to be a successful screenwriter, you need a very thick skin about your script. Don't beat the director over the head with technical directions, but engage his imagination and inspire his vision of the project.

Onr last thing, unless you have a lot of juice in some way in any project, once you've sold your script they won't ask for your help unless they want it, and will be annoyed if you offer it. It also depends on the structuring of your contract.

Keep on keepin' on.

ArCHeR
Member # 2067

That would be good advice to someone who didn't know it already. But you basically told me earlier to write a spec scrit instead of the type I was writing. There's no reason to do that, if that's not what I'm writing.

So I say again, give advice on what I'm describing, not how I'm describing it, please.

Survivor
Member # 213

Okay, but we really do need to know the name of the director before we can give advice on how you should instruct him to shoot your story.
HSO
Member # 2056

Archer, this forum isn't really the place for screenplays and such. Many of us would prefer to never write one because they are so darn limiting. And your insistence on having us critique the content is wearing thin. Essentially, you aren't helping your cause -- and everyone has been trying to help nonetheless. There are better sites to go to that deal primarily with critiquing scripts.

However, having read a few hundred scripts in my day (scripts that were actually made into movies), I can say that yours is -- don't be offended -- subpar. It lacks any real substance and it's not engaging, nor written well enough. Blowing things up is just blowing things up. You'd be far better off by starting with a main character in a normal everyday setting, then showing things blowing up. Starting with a satellite isn't going to cut it, most likely.

There are specific rules most "Hollywood" scripts follow, tho' some deviate considerably:

Average ordinary person (protagonist) is shown doing nothing much exciting -- living out their daily, boring life.

Something happens to force the antagonist into conflict (Antagonists are introduced).

[insert a bunch of stuff here, love interests, subplots, etc, etc.]

Protagonist comes up with a plan to fight evil but said plan fails... Antagonist(s) temporarily succeed.

Protag finds some way or some weakness in the antag to overcome and wins the day.

Movie over, people cheer and applaud.

I strongly urge you to look up and find every site you can that allows you to download scripts and how to write them. Read about 50 or more before you start writing one. Then write your script, throw it away, and start over. After about 7 - 10 years of doing that, your skill at writing scripts will be considerable enough to warrant the slush pile in Hollywood. Trust me, it's a cruel and harsh business with absolutely no room for new writers, and you'd be wise to want no part of it. You'd have a much better chance at getting a novel published. Really.

I do wish you the best of luck, and if I've in any way discouraged you, then I've done my job. Write stories, not scripts! You don't want that kind of pain.

ArCHeR
Member # 2067

Oh yes I do. Especially if I want to be a director.

But the thing about it is that the 13 line thing makes me stop right before the hook of the movie...

HSO
Member # 2056

Well, you're definitely at the wrong place -- Hatrack is a writer's forum.

Tell you what: Send me your script. I'll give it a go. I'm used to reading scripts and I'll try to forgive any formatting errors.

Warrior Poet
Member # 2139

Archer, HSO makes some very astute points, however, there are movie that start without character development. they are few and far between, but they happen. Star Wars for example, but you are give the situation in the Great Scrool at he inseption of the picture. James Bond flicks usually start in and action sequence with no character developement, but the character is already ubiquetously established.

Try working with a universal theme woven through the first scene. If your writing the script directly to use for yourself as the filmaker, you might want to remember that you'll have book of storyboards to help invision the project before it is shot. at least you should have story boards. The script is not generally clutter with technical instruction, even if the writer is the director. That kind of script would be very hard for the members of the crew to use.

As to what you said to me directly "...basically (you) told me earlier to write a spec script instead of the type I was writing." The questions begg: What type of script are you writing and what do want to do with it?

I don't quite agree with HSO on everything. Becoming an motion picture autuer is be coming increasingly easier with the advent of digital and HD (High Definition) video, and CGI (Computer Generated Imagery) as the cost decreases with spread of the technology. If you can come up with a good feasable script, you might be able produce your script independantly, and avoid the morass of the Studio System.

I'm not going to post again on this subject, as I seem to rankle your hackles a little. I wish you well, and much success in you endeavor. Break a leg, my friend.

WP

[This message has been edited by Warrior Poet (edited August 05, 2004).]

HSO
Member # 2056

The "indie" route is quite a viable option, especially if you're in a college or know some college kids, etc. So, yeah, I wasn't considering that when I made my rash statement.

Indie flicks also give you far more freedom to write the story you really want. Then again, you won't have anywhere near the budget available for SFX 'n' stuff. But for character-driven stories, indie is probably an excellent choice.

With that said, and from only reading the first 13 lines posted above, I can say with much certainty that you'd have a difficult time pulling that off on a indie budget.

Also, when you write scripts, remember to not be wordy. Unlike stories and novels, which you can elaborate scenes and emotion in great detail, you absolutely cannot do that in a movie script. Most movies are dialogue. Therefore, so will your scipt be.

Myself, I'd prefer to write a story and let someone else develop it into a screenplay. Too much hassel with the format and everything else.

Survivor
Member # 213

If he does it in pure CG he could do it independent. You don't even need a bunch of fancy workstations these days.

Arch, if you're planning to direct (and produce) this yourself, why the heck do you want our input at all? Just do it, duh.

I think that if you want feedback on the storyline itself, you should do it up as a storyboard, then we could actually get an idea of whether we liked the imagery and so forth. Even if the graphics are pretty basic, we could get an idea of what it's all supposed to look like.

ArCHeR
Member # 2067

quote:
Well, you're definitely at the wrong place -- Hatrack is a writer's forum.

I was just talking about your warnings on the evils of the movie business. I'm still a writer, but not I'm not content with just that .

I'm nowhere near done with the script, but I can send you a good bit of it. I must warn you that the beggining is pure action movie. I haven't gotten into the juicy political and moral stuff.

quote:
The questions begg: What type of script are you writing and what do want to do with it?

Uh... er... I'm not quite sure. I just kinda started writing it. I'll fix it up when I finish screenwriting 101 when I go to college.

If you're writing out the abbv. for me, you can stop. I'm not a movie n00b

I don't think I could ever do the movies I really want as indies, unless I somehow get in a position like Lucas or Tarantino.

quote:
I'm not going to post again on this subject, as I seem to rankle your hackles a little.

What makes you say that? I don't get... er... rankled... uh... yeah...
(by the way, I'm against luck. I use faith instead... next time just pray for me if you wish )

quote:
With that said, and from only reading the first 13 lines posted above, I can say with much certainty that you'd have a difficult time pulling that off on a indie budget.

Well, I could pull that off on an indie budget. JUST that.

quote:
If he does it in pure CG he could do it independent. You don't even need a bunch of fancy workstations these days.

I would if you never saw people's faces. The technology just isn't there enough for me yet (especially on the indie side).

quote:
Arch, if you're planning to direct (and produce) this yourself, why the heck do you want our input at all? Just do it, duh.

Ya know, I've secretly wanted people to call me Arch ever since I came up with this SN years back, and you're probably the first one to do it

Anyway, what does me doing the directing have to do with your input?

quote:
think that if you want feedback on the storyline itself, you should do it up as a storyboard, then we could actually get an idea of whether we liked the imagery and so forth. Even if the graphics are pretty basic, we could get an idea of what it's all supposed to look like.

I might just do that. Except I'd have to scan them all, and upload them all onto my site... We'll see.

By the way, I hope my style of quoting doesn't make you think I'm arguing or anything. That's just how I do it when there are a lot of things to touch on...

[This message has been edited by ArCHeR (edited August 05, 2004).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.