Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Adventures in Pure Escapism

Author Topic: Adventures in Pure Escapism
Warrior Poet
Member # 2139

- posted      Profile for Warrior Poet   Email Warrior Poet         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, nobody out there really knows me, so I'll understand if I'm ignored.

A little about myself...

I write for the joy of writing, even when it is not such a joy. I did not read well effectively until the age of thirteen, where upon I devoured Sci-Fi and Fantasy at an alarming rate. The dam, as it were, had broken. Later I moved on to other genres, from the ancient classics on up to modern new publishings. I am not a literature or english major, or anything of the ilk. I have an artist mind, and I let my imagination roam around like bison on the plains. I am not well versed in grammar and punctuation. A take spelling a word I don't know a as a special challenge to be creative, and hopefully at least phonetic. Tense, person, and other particulars often ellude me. It's a joy to realize one's faults.

This said, I also tend to enjoy the sight of my own script, and so, if anyone is kind enough to puruse my material, feel free to get out your editor's scalpal, and cut away the cancerous chaff of my hyperbole. Thank you.

So here is a small exerpt my serial pulp driven cerebrum.

Sunshine In Shade

Chapter 1 Long Walk's Short Pier

Young, beautiful, and damn deadly with a gun. That was her, a goddess of sex and death incarnate. At the moment, she was down deep in her element.
A hulking man, his face a mask of shock with a gaping hole in his torso hurled through the air, and smashed through the glassteel window with such force that his body pulped as its impact shattered the near unbreakable pane into thousands of tinkling shards. In the sharp October sun, the crystalline slivers, glazed bloody red, sparkled round the dead man in lethal constellations, as he soared out in the lazy arch of his final plunge toward the pollution hazed street more than a mile below.

There you have it. Want to read more?

Posts: 20 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Too much, too quick... I think here you shift focuse from one concept to another too quickly. You need time for the hooks to settle under the skin before tugging the string.

As for the first line, well for me it more repulsed than pulled me in. It was a description from a point of view unknown about a person unknown... I just didn't care who she was or what she was... the same for the man. Set the scene.. give us something to identify with and then hit us with the power of your pen...

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I would like to read more. Yeah, I don't care about the two characters but it does raise a lot of questions and there isn't a perfect formula for starting it. Although I would get to a name or something pretty snappy like (unless of course this is just one of those things like in the beginning of the movie pulp fiction in which it doesn't make any sense until the end). Introducing sympathetic characters in the first paragraph is all well and good but I don't mind. It is incredibly intense and fast. I mean blindingly fast. All the same it's got potential.

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At the moment, she was down deep in her element. A hulking man, his face a mask of shock with a gaping hole in his torso...

So is she deep in the gaping hole or in some other orifice?

Okay, sorry. There is some interesting imagery here, but everyone knows what I think you need....

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
POV?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Warrior Poet
Member # 2139

- posted      Profile for Warrior Poet   Email Warrior Poet         Edit/Delete Post 
To Yanos,

Thanks for your advice. Really. However, this might not be your cup of tea. Yes, it is quick and jarring, sort of cyberpunk. It's meant to be unsettling. I don't want to focus on character, it's about situation and action. I want people to ask questions, Who are these individual? What's going on? Why am I reading this tripe? Etc, etc, etc. but you do bring up good points. I'll think them over. Thanks again for your impute.

Another bit. I wrote this piece as a novel or serial. Usually there is hook on the jacket or forepage, and a little charater development to snag the reader. On a serial chapter there's ussually a one liner slug above the story chapter to draw a reader in, but agian this material may not be for every body, but if you want to read more, Yanos, I'd be delight to shot you over a chapter copy, and you can give me an editorial beat down.

To Blade Of Words,

I think I'm hitting your demographic here, bro. I think you understand the genre and style I'm shooting for. Their names aren't important as of yet, it's that viseral, even replusive feeling, like looking at a bad car wreck, that I'm going toward. But I did get your attention, and peak your interset. Be honest, or am I way off base? Yeah, It's fast. Very, very fast. Wanna read more?

To Survivor,

What? Restraint? Good Taste? Talent?

Possibly. However, my friend, I got you asking questions, didn't I? Want them answered? You know the drill.

To Mary Robinette,

POV? Do you mean whose? As I said in my original post, Person sometimes get the better of me. I think this is in third person semi-omniscient, or something like that. Read on, and find out, but WARNING! this writing is not for the faint of heart. As Blade Of Words so cleverly discovered, I am adevotee of Quentin Tarantino, so be prapared.

Jim, The Warrior Poet.

yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
So long as you are patient for a reply (I usually take a week) then send it over. It is good that you took my opinion as just that. Of course, even Tarantino sets his scene... ok he may blow it up seconds later, but...

Anyway I did like some of the imagery. I am sure with a little polish you can get the right feel for this.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Warrior Poet
Member # 2139

Yanos,

I appreciate your help, my friend. However long it takes you, is however long it takes you. Give me a day and I'll send you the first chapter, if you want to read more, you'll let me know. Thanks again.

WP

shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
WP, if you are still looking for readers, count me in. I have time again!

MS Word attachment, please!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Warrior Poet
Member # 2139

I modified it a little. What do you think? Still too much? Smack me around a little. I want a reality check.

Chapter I - Long Walk's Short Pier

Young, gorgeous, and the girl was damn deadly with a gun. That was her, a goddess of sex and death incarnate. At the moment, with blazing, golden pistols in each hand, and blood raging in her ice blue, brittle eyes, she was down deep in her element.

A hulking man, his face a mask of shock, was jerked off his like he was hit by a maglev train, as she blasted a gaping hole in his torso. The man's broken husk hurled through the air, and smashed through the glassteel window with such force that his body pulped, as its impact shattered the nearly unbreakable pane into thousands of tinkling shards. In the sharp October sun, the crystalline slivers, glazed bloody red, sparkled round the dead man in lethal constellations, as he soared out in the lazy arch of his final plunge toward the pollution hazed street more than a mile below.

Through the broken window, a high, cool wind rushed in, and whipped around the vast, opulently appointed room, as sudden, horrible violence erupted in a maelstrom within the mile high penthouse.

And I can always use readers, folks. Thanks.

WP

[This message has been edited by Warrior Poet (edited August 09, 2004).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.