Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Coward's Last Hunt

Author Topic: Coward's Last Hunt
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
3k.
Has fantasy elements, but more focused on character.
Would love any readers/comments/critiques.

Thanks!

quote:

What made a good hunter? Was it practice? No, certainly not. Henji had practiced much and that hadn't done anything for him. Was it hate? To be a good killer did you have to hate?

That was a possibility, for Henji had little hate.

However, the truth was painfully clear, which was why Henji preferred not to focus on it. He was a coward. Against a harmless animal -- say a deer -- he was as good as anyone else, if not better. But against something like a fire-wolf, his heart filled with icy fear.

Smashing the ground with his staff in anger, he remembered the last time. It had been so embarrassing! He --

Suddenly a green, worm-like creature jumped out at him, hitting his chest and knocking him down. It reared its head, revealing a mouth full of teeth, about to chomp down at him.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ferrus Magnate
Member # 2157

- posted      Profile for Ferrus Magnate   Email Ferrus Magnate         Edit/Delete Post 
>What made a good hunter?

Suggests to me that there's a "past" for hunters, like they're not around any more. It's past-tense.

>Was it practice? No, certainly not.

Says who?

>Henji >had practiced much and that hadn't >done anything for him.

Details?

>Was it hate? To be a >good killer did you >have to hate?

Too obvious.

>That was a possibility, for Henji had little >hate.

Do we know this to be true, or does Henji think it? Set up Henji as an unreliable narrator if you're going to do this.

>However, the truth was painfully clear, >which was why Henji preferred not to focus >on it. He was a coward. Against a harmless >animal -- say a deer --

My first thought reading this was that deer are anything but harmless. They'll gouge you in the face if they're cornered. They're not typically directly aggressive toward people in the modern world, but this isn't that setting, is it?

>he was as good as >anyone else, if not >better. But against something like a >fire-wolf, his heart filled with icy fear.

Personal taste: not a big fan of "fire-wolf," "freezy-kitten," "star bear" or other fantasy variations on names, hyphenated or otherwise. Show me a fire-wolf and tell me why it's all "fiery" and then give it a new name like a "henji," that's my taste. But, use this sparingly, because if a book has a big glossary of magic terms and made-up language (see Mercedes Lackey, or better yet, don't), and a bunch of happy-scrappy "fire-wolves" who give "the magic lick of fairy-hope" then I won't be reading the story. Again, personal taste.

>Smashing the ground with his staff in anger, >he remembered the last time. It had been so >embarrassing! He --

This is awkward. Maybe, imply that he's given up or surrendered before he throws his staff down like that. If he's smashing his staff on the ground in the middle of a hunt (as I suspect) and wondering why he's an unsuccessful hunter, it comes off as a joke to me, because a sudden loud movement like smashing a staff on the ground would send every animal within 50 feet scrambling to get away from him (or to eat him, if they're Staff-Eatng Wolves).

>Suddenly a green, worm-like creature jumped >out at him, hitting his chest and knocking >him down. It reared its head, revealing a >mouth full of teeth, about to chomp down at >him.

Mouths generally have teeth unless otherwise noted, but perhaps if you add what KIND of teeth they are, it'd make sense. That's a typical mistake in fantasy writing, to use old phrases like "a mouth full of teeth" because they're used a lot but not to detail the reason: "a mouth full of spinning, vibrating silver teeth."

"green, wormlike" is awkward, too, because it pulls back from the fantasy. We're expected to know what the fire-wolves are, but Henji apparently doesn't know what the worm-thing is. Huh? Is he a hunter or not? Does he have training? Maybe if the narrative said "a turgod dropped out of a tree onto him," or something to that effect, and Henji, under attack, thought fast about what he knows about the green, worm-like creatures.

Just some thoughts, hope they're helpful.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

Interesting points.

Thanks.

GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I found the transition between the fourth and fifth paragraphs to be jarring. After the more reflective beginning, I have no physical setting or context in which to place the creature now attacking him.

I'm willing to give the rest a look if you send it over.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
cicerocat
Member # 2138

- posted      Profile for cicerocat   Email cicerocat         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.

I hope it's okay that I do nitpicks.

quote:
But against something like a fire-wolf, his heart filled with icy fear.

I like the contrast between "fire" and "icy" here.

quote:
Smashing the ground with his staff in anger, he remembered the last time

This rang awkward to me. Probably the "smashing" of the ground; also because of the connection between "he remembered" and the anger, as if the anger came before the remembrance. For the smashing, consider a simpler verb like "Slapping"?

A rewrite suggestion would be something like this, since I like his way of posing questions: "And what about last time? He slapped the ground with his staff in anger. It had been so embarrassing! He --"

quote:
Suddenly a green,

Delete "suddenly", because the way his thoughts are cut off implies that. As a bonus, you get rid of an adverb ;-)

quote:
about to chomp down at him

Seems a tad close to the "knocking him down" ending structure. Consider a rewrite like: "of teeth ready to chomp."

I like the first line, btw, it's a good hook.

Cya,
CC

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try 3K.

This opening does have some problems. I won't hammer on anything but the green worm, though.

Really, we have almost zero context for this event, and almost no idea of what this thing looks like other than that it is green and "worm-like", not the most exact description. From the fact that it knocks him down I take it that it is at least ten pounds and probably more than a foot long (so I can guess that "worm-like" describes something other than size). So it is bigger than a new-born baby, green, and "worm-like".

And it has a mouth, which is full of teeth.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

Sent to Survivor and GZ.

Thanks!

Worm thingy removed because it's irrelevent to story -- replaced by a simple lynx .

Ferrus Magnate
Member # 2157

- posted      Profile for Ferrus Magnate   Email Ferrus Magnate         Edit/Delete Post 
Go ahead and send it to me, too, and I'll give you a critique.

I thought that was unspoken understood!

[This message has been edited by Ferrus Magnate (edited August 24, 2004).]

Phanto
Member # 1619

No, sometimes people just post to critque the fragment and aren't interested in the full story. Glad for your help, though.
Ferrus Magnate
Member # 2157

Sent you your feedback.

Let everyone know what a master of feedback I am so they'll want me to do the same for them.

Phanto
Member # 1619

Ferrus did make some very interesting comments, as did everyone who offered to help. Thanks .
Edmund
Member # 2044

- posted      Profile for Edmund   Email Edmund         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want one more set of eyes to read the whole story, I'd be happy to sign up.
Posts: 1200 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
If you still need readers, I'll take a look. I just realized I haven't volunteered in a while and you were lucky enough to come to my attention first.

Plus, I like the opening. I don't know about the last paragraph with the wormlike thing but I'll withold specific judgment until I see the whole thing.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to read this as well. The questions at the beginning pulled me in. I'm a sucker for internal dialogue.

Everyone has commented so much on the opening that I'll just mention a few things.

First, I like the overall feel of the opening. Very nice.

However, when I read "It was so embarrassing," I nearly laughed out loud. I would never expect anyone in a warrior culture to say that (as if I have any credentials :P). I think you need to change "embarrassing" to something that fits the previous prose better.

Also, I think you should insert a little more description of the surroundings (not much...Henji's distracted after all) right before and during the encounter with the worm. Otherwise, I can't get see the action you're describing.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.