Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Touch of Fate

Author Topic: Touch of Fate
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've rewritten these first few paragraphs half a dozen times now and I hope some of you will be willing to help me decide if they're any good or not. This is actually the introduction to a novel (not a short story). For this reason, you may not be drawn in as powerfully in just 13 lines as you would expect in a short story, nevertheless, when it comes time to market this the first few paragraphs will be enough to set the tone.

Here they are:
[Note: this has been revised yet again after Robyn Hood's comments.]
Marianne ignored her daughter’s evil eye as the high school band director approached from across the crowded cafeteria. The concert had gone off without a hitch and now nearly everyone was enjoying the after party. The notable exception was Gabrielle, Marianne’s daughter, who hung back against the wall and glared at anyone who dared to get too close.

“Gabrielle is a wonderful student,” Ms. Price, the band director, said as she took Marianne’s hand.

Marianne shuddered as Ms. Price reached out and clapsed Marianne's hand in her own. “Thank you,” Marianne said, but as she drew her hand away she sighed in frustration. She knew now, without a doubt, that Ms. Price was going to insist upon talking to her about Gabrielle. The signs had all pointed that way. They may not have indicated the topic of the conversation, but it did not take Marianne’s curse of foretelling the future to know that part of what would come.
Among other things, I am curious about which of the three characters mentioned comes across to you as the focus of the story. I won't tell you which it's supposed to be, only that in feedback to date everyone's gotten behind the wrong one early on.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited August 30, 2004).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
My problem is that I am confused.

a) Evil eye
b) Band Director
c) Cafeteria
d) Concert
e) Young teacher
f) "As Ms. Price touched her hand, Marianne shuddered. She took half a step backward as an electric tingle ran up her spine in an all-too familiar way."

This whole thing is just a little too vague, for me at least.

This story seems to be about Marianne.

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited August 30, 2004).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Edmund
Member # 2044

- posted      Profile for Edmund   Email Edmund         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to agree with Phanto. My first reaction was also confusion, especially with regard to who Gabrielle was and how she fit in. It took me several rereads to figure out that she was Marianne's daughter. (Then again, I'm not the brightest guy you'll ever meet.)

Also, the last paragraph felt to me like you were trying really hard to tell me how significant the 'tingles' are. there's way too much happening in that last paragraph.

Ecept for the confusion about who Gab was, I thought the first three paragraphs were very smoothly written though. It's that last paragraph where you lose me.

To answer your question, from just this snippet, I'd guess the story is about Marianne.

[This message has been edited by Edmund (edited August 30, 2004).]

Posts: 1200 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to guess Gabrielle on this one. I guess I have a 50/50 on it, huh?

I'm also a little thrown by "Her daughter, Gabrielle, the notable exception..." I would probably stick to two or less identifiers per sentence. I would suggest dropping the "her daughter", because it's pretty obvious from the later parts that Gabrielle is her daughter.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I thought it was obvious who Gabrielle was too but Phanto and Edmund didn't agree so....

Thanks, Janelly, but just to clarify if none of the characters are jumping out at you as being the focus of the story yet, that's fine too. After all, this is 13 lines of a novel!

NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Marianne's POV, so seems to be focused on her right now.

The first sentence threw me. This was a stumbler for me. I reread it a couple of times before moving on. Maybe I’m just in fantasy mode right now, but I put much more emphasis on "daughter's evil eye" than you might have intended.

Maybe instead of putting the emphasis of the sentence on "daughter's evil eye", put it on "daughter". So it becomes something like:
"Marianne ignored her daughter, who was giving her the eye evil from the other side of the cafeteria."
I think that is really what you meant.

Also, in the second paragraph, change Mr. Price to Ms. Price.

This was a little awkward:
"She had felt the all-too familiar electric tingle at the touch, an indication that Ms. Price herself portended things to come."
It almost seems like a “POV cheater”, like you are attempting to give us information on Ms. Price’s feelings through Marianne’s POV.

You do have my attention. I would like to read more.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Marianne’s daughter, Gabrielle, the notable exception, hung back against the wall and glared at anyone who dared to get too close.

My confusion started here and continued. I'm not confused about who Gabrielle is, but I was thrown by the "notabale exception"comment. I think it is because of all the commas. For me, it would flow better within the paragraph if the sentence was ordered differently.

i.e.
The notable exception was Gabrielle, Marianne’s daughter, who hung back against the wall and glared at anyone who dared to get too close.

The last paragraph was particularly difficult to get through. I feel like I don't have a context for the "all-too familiar electric tingle" and so all the references to it make my head swim. I can't exactly put my finger on why it isn't working for me, it just doesn't feel right.

This sentence stands out for me, "Already today she had felt tingles every time she saw the word 'talk' and every time she heard people talking." "Saw the word 'talk'"? where is she seeing this. It jsut doesn't seem like a common word to see written. Again, I'm not sure why, but it is throwing me.

As to who the story is likely about, I would guess Ms. Price.

"...indication that Ms. Price herself portended things to come..."

"...This final signal left little doubt that Ms. Price would soon talk to her..."

Also, Ms. Price is the only one to actually talk and so much emphasis is put on talking in the last paragraph.

Just my guess

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited August 30, 2004).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Whew. What a day. Every time someone responds I am torn between frustration and hope that I might one day get this right. In any case, it is amazine what people get out of your writing that you'd never expect. A careless bit of wording and all of a sudden people think, say, that a character you'll never see after the first scene will be the focus of the story.

Oh well, I have tried yet again, for those of you following this. It occurred to me that perhaps I should have left the first versions there for people to have an easier time following the conversation, but I am hoping that those jumping onto this thresad anew can give me a fresh perspective on the rewrite. The rest of you can comment on whether or not you think it was better, but you saw the first version so you'll have biases.

Thanks, everyone...I think it's getting better isntead of worse.

GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Marianne ignored her daughter’s evil eye as the high school band director approached from across the crowded cafeteria.

I had to read this sentence several times, and though I know what you mean, its structured so that it isn't very clear. And this early in, the evil eye business could mean much more than I think you mean for it to. Or if it is in the evil eye in the curse sense, I need a better clue to take it as such.

The notable exception was Gabrielle, Marianne’s daughter, who hung back against the wall and glared at anyone who dared to get too close.

My preference would be "... was her daughter Gabrielle," or "... was her daughter; Gabrielle hung..." simply to escape the Name, role, rest of sentence construction used also in the next paragraph.

Marianne shuddered as Ms. Price’s delicate fingers touched her own.

Hmmm... Ms. Price comes off very creepy here, which I'm not entirely sure is your intention based on the rest of the paragraph. Perhaps the name is also influencing me -- the Vincent Price connection.

She knew now, without a doubt, that Ms. Price was going to insist upon talking to her about Gabrielle. The signs had all pointed that way.

What signs? And for a teacher to come up to a parent at a band event, or any time, usually the student is at least some part of the conversation, so it seems strange she is making such a point of it. Especially since Gabrielle is acting sullen.

Overall, it need a bit more information worked in to put the scene in context. I don't have a very clear view of what is meant to be magical, and what is meant to be descriptive.

I vote the story is either about Marianne or Gabrielle, or both to some degree. Ms. Price may or may not be a throwaway in the grand scheme of things.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Since two people have now commented on the "evil eye" reference in the first paragraph, I feel I must say something about it. As it happens, I have received several positive reactions to this opening sentence. It seems this is going to be one of those things where someone says "X!" and someone else says "!X" and a few people don't care but the end result is that the writer explodes. In any case, since this novel is primarily mystery and the paranormal or fantasy element is subordinate, I believe my audience will not be confused. I do, however, appreciate that metaphors in science fiction and fantasy are best avoided, especially up front. I think in this case I'm going to leave well enough alone. (In other words, actually stand by soething I wrote in this opening for once. ) I think that, were I to read this in a science fiction or fantasy story, I would assume it was a metaphor unless the following sentences indicated a literal truth. I think that if Gabrielle actually were giving Marianne a curse, that she would have reacted to it in some way and so the very fact that she is "ignoring" it must mean that her daughter is just being a teenager with a snide expression.

GZ, I'm not sure I understand what you meant about the strangeness of Ms. Price going up to Marianne.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this version of the opening. There are a few things in the last paragraph that still don't feel exactly the way I would put them, but I think much of that is just personal taste. I'm not feeling lost anymore and I can read it with a lot more clarity without having to stop and decipher things.

It draws me in and I have a feeling that anything I'm not quite sure of will be revealed within the next few lines.

quote:
The signs had all pointed that way. They may not have indicated the topic of the conversation, but it did not take Marianne’s curse of foretelling the future to know that part of what would come.

This is the only section I'm not sure reads smoothly, but like I said, I think it is only a personal style issue. And my expectations are that her sixth sense curse is explained a bit deeper in the next paragraph or so.

Very intriguing.

---

Who is the story about?

My actual thoughts are that the story will likely be about Gabrielle, but I guessed Ms. Price earlier because your lead in made it sound like the answer would be subtle. The revised beginning makes it clear that she isn't (at least I assume so )

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Use names for the first references to a character, unless the characters are so minor that they won't get names.

Thus

"Marianne ignored Gabrielle’s evil eye as Ms. Price approached from across the crowded cafeteria."

Throw in a line like "Her daughter had glared at anyone daring to approach her all night, so it wasn't just the band director." That should clear things up quickly enough.

I like the evil eye, probably anyone that didn't like it just was feeling confused and didn't really know why.

If you identify a character by something other than a name, it is difficult for the reader to understand that the POV character already knows the character in question. So if the character is going to be important, the reader expects an introduction, and when you don't supply one, the reader is left with the nagging impression that the unnamed character just wasn't that important. This is why you have to repeat that Gabrielle is Marianne's daughter and Ms. Price is the band director. Even at that, people still end up feeling confused.

On a side note, it seems that your extensive revisions have introduced a few oddities. Don't line edit anymore (even for my perfect and always correct advice), take notes on what is getting said and write a fresh version after you get a clear idea what needs to be changed.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
GZ, I'm not sure I understand what you meant about the strangeness of Ms. Price going up to Marianne.

It just seemed like in the version I read that Marianne was making a big deal over the band director coming over to talk to her about her daughter. This seemed to have an importance to it that, in the context I had, seemed out of proportion. In my experience, teachers walking up to parent usually are coming over to talk about that parent's child -- its often the only thing they initially know they have in common. In some ways, it seemed that Marianne had more the irritated attitude I would have expected from Gabrielle about such a conversation. This is what I found a bit strange.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Thanks for clarifying. I see that you may have a point.

Survivor, you have a good point too. Fortunately, my head is trying to explode and implode at the same time so that, for the moment, it remains intact. I will keep these comments in mind and to a complete rewrite of these opening paragraphs in a few days or maybe even a couple of weeks....after I have some time to think about it.

Other comments are perfectly welcome. I may not use them all, but the more I know about people's reactions, the better I can make this.

cicerocat
Member # 2138

- posted      Profile for cicerocat   Email cicerocat         Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna jump right in here with a couple nits, then answer your question.

"Marianne’s daughter," -- this was a little off to me, because it didn't seem like a natural thought. Is there another way you can indicate Gabrielle is Marianne's daughter? In fact, you could probably go without that quoted bit. Because the speech that follows (Ms. Price's) tells us Gabrielle is the daughter.

"Ms. Price, the band director," -- this one didn't bother me in the same way above, because I assume Marianne isn't as close to or knowing of the band director as she is to her daughter.

The other thing is on placement (a problem I have, so I get a little sensitive to it at times). At first, I thought her daughter was at her side. Then, it seems the daughter is way across the room. Is there a way you can indicate where her daughter is earlier? A possible suggestion could be a crowd of students passing between her and her daughter, temporarily cutting off the glare her daughter was sending her; that way you also give a little more setting info at the same time.

Finally, the last sentence is a little wordy, imo.

"I am curious about which of the three characters mentioned comes across to you as the focus of the story"

I assume Marianne, since it's her pov and she has an interesting power. But from what you said, I bet it will be Gabrielle. I can see some set up for the latter, since the talk will be about Gabrielle.

Hope this helps,
Cya,
CC

PS--forgot to mention that this did draw me in. I like stories about psychic powers, or at least a psychic character in the story.

[This message has been edited by cicerocat (edited September 02, 2004).]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Oh boy, I thought this was dead, but since you revived it, let me show you the first 13 lines of the new intro (which is totally different and I think makes it absolutely clear that Marianne, not Gabrielle, is the focus of this story.)

“No matter what you do, nor how hard you try, the signs will come. We don’t always know when, we don’t always know why, but futures can’t be changed by you or I.”

For Marianne, the signs came in the form of an electric tingle that ran up her spine and made her shudder, sometimes violently. Her grandmother, who had taught her the rhyme before her death over twenty years ago, had described it as more of a tickle. Her daughter, Gabrielle, refused to talk about the curse at all.

Marianne sat alone in the crowd, applauding appreciatively with the rest of the parents who had come to watch their children play at the school band concert. Ms. Price, the director, walked onto the stage with a smile and a wave.

Marianne shuddered.

It's actually slower getting started, which was one reason I didn't post it. You really have to read down a few more paragraphs to really learn anything at all, but I didn't want to post more than 13 lines.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited September 02, 2004).]

shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Slower?? I like it MUCH better! You very effectively hook me with the rhyme and speaking of a curse.

And you think this is slower? *G*

Still looking for readers?

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Thank you.

Actually, this is the opening to a novel that I'm only about halfway finished with. (My promise report gives me until Halloween...hope I can make it!) At that time I'm going to desperately search for people willing to read the whole thing, though I suspect those will come from family members. (Fortunately I have a couple who are willing to hurt my feelings if they have to.) In the meantime, I think Chapter 1 has been beaten to death and I need to move past it. I am glad that you like the new intro, though.

shadowynd
Member # 2077

If you'd like a chapter by chapter, I'm up for it. I'm doing that for a few people already. I don't promise to always be the fastest; I'm the tortoise of this fairy tale.

Susan

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Christine, all I can say is wow! This starts off great. You've explained the fore-sight thing with far more eloquence in this version. As you mentioned earlier that this is a novel, slower is fine.
shadowynd
Member # 2077

The one thing I might try to do, if this were my opening, is to tie in the poem/curse paragraph directly into the next para.

Sorry if you hate others suggesting actual sentences, but, again, this is just how I might do it:

"Marianne felt that familiar tingle now, as she sat alone in the crowd..."

Susan

cicerocat
Member # 2138

- posted      Profile for cicerocat   Email cicerocat         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh boy, I thought this was dead, but since you revived it, let me show you the first 13 lines of the new intro (which is totally different and I think makes it absolutely clear that Marianne, not Gabrielle, is the focus of this story.)

My assumption was based on these words:

quote:
Among other things, I am curious about which of the three characters mentioned comes across to you as the focus of the story. I won't tell you which it's supposed to be, only that in feedback to date everyone's gotten behind the wrong one early on.

From those lines, I assumed my first guess (Marianne) would be wrong. Sorry for the confusion.

Btw, your new first line is a good hook, much better than your old one, imo. Overall, I like this new opening better, especially as I can picture more of this setting (and there is another hook there, in why does Marianne shudder), so I hope it works out as a better starting position for your novel.

Cya,
CC

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Hmmm. Interesting how different this version is.

You might work on that opening rhyme, and format it as such also.

“No matter what you do,
nor how hard you try,
the signs will come.
We don’t always know when,
we don’t always know why,
but futures can’t be changed
by you or I.”

You also might want to work on it so that it scans a little better. And give it a bit of flavor as you do whatever else seems to need doing.

For the rest, I think this opening works well enough, though it is certainly quite different from anything I'd do with an opening. Okay, I'll do a lot of strange things, and probably have done this kind of inward spiral towards the opening moment once or twice.

Christine
Member # 1646

Survivor, I may well touch up the opening rhyme at some point, reformat or something, but I don't think so for two reasons:

First, until the short story version of this returns from Shawna's desk at Realms of Fantasy, I'm loathe to change the details I drew up in that tale, especially anything that might have gotten me to an actual editor's death and out of the sluch pile. (The short story could basically work as the prologue, and I'd like to keep it that way.) The rhyme, formatted exactly as you see it there, is also what opens that short story.

Second, given that a random grandmother and not a brilliant poet came upw ith the rhyme, I figure that gives me some wiggle room.

As for the spiral into the story, it isn't how I normally open stories, but it seems to be working for this one. I've posted this opehning in an on-line class I'm taking too (actually, I got to post more of it there) and the vast majority of people seem to have taken to it. I've got the ocassional nitpick. (Why don't you word the sentence *this* als perfectly correct but not in your voice way?) but basically, I'm feeling like I've got a winner.

Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
If you need a look at the whole thingy, I'd be willing.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Two volunteers to read a novel...wow!

I tell you what, I'm going to fret over the first few chapters a little longer and then send them early next week. I should probably send them now and stop dwelling on them as I do actually need to get the novel finished so I can do the nitpicky editing stuff, but I at least want to adress the problems my critique group came up with. (I sent them 3 chapters and then realized it wasn't necessarily a good thing to have critique groups look at novel chapters 7500 words at a time once a month...they're much better at shorts.)

Survivor
Member # 213

quote:
an actual editor's death

Okay, you're really stretching that one. An "a" for "s" typo happens, but "t" and "h" instead of "k"? Who are you kidding? There is no way you typed that by accident.

Christine
Member # 1646

Hmmmm....maybe a Freudian slip this time? I mean, I have been waiting for over seven months now.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.